Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age: Inquisition Pre-Release Thread

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Its gonna rock, hell yeah. fuck the haters. romance cutscenes are gonna look so sweet on this engine.

Anyways, as article reminds us, last 3 Bioware games were not that good. What makes this one better beside it being inspired by witcher and dark souls?
I personally want the game to take more mature approach like the Witcher series and do it in western style and not pussy out in writing or design.
Its up to them if people gonna talk about romances or mature moral choices they made in the game.

Borelli

Arcane
DA2 being bad is what will make DAI not be a catastrophe. But then this is Forbes so for them it's all about the finances.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
DAI will re released roughly at the same time as Witcher and POI so should it fail to be on par with them - biowhores will have a lot of troubles from EA.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
DAI will re released roughly at the same time as Witcher and POI so should it fail to be on par with them - biowhores will have a lot of troubles from EA.
DAI will wipe the floor with the witcher 3.
the witcher 3 will be the same twitchy shit as the previous games but with a bigger world. DAI has the character customization and action (and option for "tactical") combat that an open world game needs.

edit: I don't mean to say DAI will be very good, just better than somehow popular polish shovelware with posh graphics.

I supported Kain back when that penny arcade fag slandered him but this article was fucking shit.

I supported Kain back when that penny arcade fag slandered him but this article was fucking shit.
Seriously it's pure click-bait garbage with no substance to it. He just states obvious, that Bioware needs to hit a home run with this while also saying that it does look like they were given resources to do so (it's still gonna be shit).

Kain said:
I’m actually really excited for Inquisition. Everything I’ve seen about the game so far looks great. Multiple playable races are back, as is an optional top-down tactical view. The game looks gorgeous, and promises even more customization options than Origins. And, perhaps most importantly, it’s been in development for quite a while already, so we don’t have to worry about this being a rush job like Dragon Age 2. All the hopeful signs point to a great single-player RPG

Hmmm... so why is title screaming at me "Video Game Catastrophe" ?

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Ah the smell of sweet decline and the only voice EA will hear, the sound of money baby and straight from Forbes no less.
They don't care if the game is good bad or whatever, they are looking at it from a product standpoint and if the product is bad it will hurt the Bioware "brand" and thus be bad business for EA
Regadless I made the solemn vow to never install that Origin blasphemy so there...
Oh and it is fucking unfair to compare the Witcher to this POS, at least they have a style and vision; this shit seems the bastard child of Skyrim and the Witcher dressed in a gay elf corsage

Oesophagus

Arcane
DAI will wipe the floor with the witcher 3.

Most likely it will, Bioware are very good ar hyping it up and creating false expectations.

I don't mean to say DAI will be very good, just better than somehow popular polish shovelware with posh graphics.

Well in terms of graphics, DAI already went full JRPG. Actually, they'd be pretty good at making JRPGs - linear story, cutscene every 10 seconds, faux drama, men who look like women without tits.

Glyphwright

Just finished playing Witch Hunt. What a shameless, unabashed, and completely unnecessary cliffhanger that turned out to be.

So what's the story with Bitch Cunt? Well, it's based on a very simple real-world event. Bioware got word of KotOR2:TSL, realized that this incomplete game alone was worth more than anything ever released by Bioware taken together and multiplied by a million, and began ripping off selected elements. And, in true Biowarian fashion, dumbing them down to sponge levels of intelligence.

They ripped off the influence system, labeling it "approval", only while in TSL characters gained or lost approval entirely depending on their conversations with the player and their reactions to the player's interaction with the game world, in Faggot Age you get most of their approval bar filled out by giving them gifts. Yeah, gifts. Random objects that you find/buy, and that give you free approval points. Brilliant.

Then they ripped off the "visit four places and find four PEOPLE" formula. Whereas in all previous Biowarian games you simply traveled to four places to find four plot coupon objects, in Dragon Age you do that to gather four ARMIES that you can use in the last battle. Except that the last battle is piss-easy, the trollocks drop like flies, and you don't really need to summon any army to get through it. And this is way less interesting than finding four Jedi Masters who sentenced you to exile and hold important knowledge about your past and present state.

And finally, they decided to rip off the character of Kreia (and Ravel Puzzlewell, Krea's Planescape version), by having their own morally ambiguous witch who helps the player for mysterious reasons, and uses every opportunity to teach them some harsh life wisdom. Only this time, this character is literally a witch. And her morality is only ambiguous at first - the game eventually makes it clear she's evil and a monster. Oh, and you have the opportunity to fight and kill her, after she transforms into a dragon. And in DAII it is revealed that Flemeth has many different "threads", and that killing one Flemeth does not necessarily immediatelly affect others - very original, totally unlike Ravel.

So Witch Hunt is a nostalgic journey through some of DAO's locations we will never see, because Witch Hunt is the very last installment. It ends with Morrigan giving some mysterious speech about change that will set us free - probably foreshadowing the coming mage-templar war, saying that Flemeth is not a mage or abomination, and leaves through a portal that takes her into a world beyond this world and also beyond the Fade. Strangely enough, the plot never hinted at the existence of any world aside from Thedas and the Fade - kind of late to bring up an important plot point for the first time. In my playthrough, I never took part in Morrigan's sex ritual, because my character never had any reason to trust the witch with having the power of a god, even though Bioware will undoubtedly turns this around in DAI and reveal that giving Morrigan the god-child was the right thing because she will use it to fight Flemeth or whatever. So she leaves me some sort of a gift - a book, and what that book contains is never revealed. Great. Who wants to start taking bets that when we do find out what the book was, it will be something completely unimportant and out-of-context?

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
I never took part in Morrigan's sex ritual, because my character never had any reason to trust the witch with having the power of a god, even though Bioware will undoubtedly turns this around in DAI and reveal that giving Morrigan the god-child was the right thing because she will use it to fight Flemeth or whatever.

Demon baby's 'not canon', according to Gayder and his cronies. They won't be taking it into account when making other Dragon Age games. Because actually taking your choices into account is too hard for them.

Ninjerk

Arcane
I never took part in Morrigan's sex ritual, because my character never had any reason to trust the witch with having the power of a god, even though Bioware will undoubtedly turns this around in DAI and reveal that giving Morrigan the god-child was the right thing because she will use it to fight Flemeth or whatever.

Demon baby's 'not canon', according to Gayder and his cronies. They won't be taking it into account when making other Dragon Age games. Because actually taking your choices into account is too hard for them.
How shortsighted can one be? If you make choices from Game 1 matter you incentivize buying a whole trilogy.

hiver

This is where we "learn" that infinitron is worried about bioware, but really excited and optimistic about their next anal leakage, even hallucinates it might be a great game.

So, ... there is an actual biodrone in codex staff.

Not that i care much about where this shithole is going, but just had to point out this posing turd for what he is.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria

How shortsighted can one be? If you make choices from Game 1 matter you incentivize buying a whole trilogy.
They just don't care.

For reference, their 'canon' Warden from here-on-out a Dalish elf (who may be a wom, I don't remember), who sacrificed him/herself to slay the archdemon.

You decided to make something else? Tough shit.

Caim

Arcane
Well, at least they're not bullshitting us by claiming choices *do* matter only for them not to like in Mass Effect.

veryalien

Educated
Patron
Codex 2014

Wait, then what's the point of Dragon Age Keep? Isn't it supposed to take all these variables and put them into the game?

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This is where we "learn" that infinitron is worried about bioware, but really excited and optimistic about their next anal leakage, even hallucinates it might be a great game.

So, ... there is an actual biodrone in codex staff.

Not that i care much about where this shithole is going, but just had to point out this posing turd for what he is.

That was an article from Forbes you retard

hiver

You should have put it in quotes retard. too late now!

biodrone!

-edit-
- thats the usual level of stupid shit i get from infinitron, btw. just returning the favors.

Last edited by a moderator:

Glyphwright

Another thing - the only part of Dragon Age: Origins that was not completely banal hack-and-slash with an excuse plot, was the deal with King Cailan, Loghain, Anora, Ostagar, and the Landsmeet. Basically, the big royal intrigue that gave the player numerous opportunities to resolve the problem. They played up the battle at Ostagar like some sort of epic LotR-style event, and then the whole game was leading you in the direction of the Landsmeet and confronting Loghain openly. This was actually pretty good. Loghain was a fairly interesting character, voiced by the semi-divine Simon Templeman who also voiced Kain from the Legacy of Kain (and, curiously enough, there are a number of parallels that can be drawn between Loghain and Kain), and his motivations made sense - he did not want to accept military help from Orlais, because Orlais used to occupy Ferelden and could use this opportunity to conquer Loghain's beloved homeland once again. Also, the part where he withdrew his forces rather than aid his king was left rather ambiguous - it is possible that this was the right thing to do because they had no chance of victory, and Ferelden would have been left without a king, famed general, and a good portion of their army.

So why couldn't the game be just about this? Ferelden suffering from a civil war, and the looming threat of second occupation by France Orlais? The player character could set out to investigate the truth behind what happened decades ago when Ferelden was stripped of its independence, as well as find out the real motivations of contemporary Orlesian leadership..

But, of course, instead we got an army of generic mindless monsters who are perfectly okay to kill because they are monsters. I guess even Bioware realized that this wasn't good enough, because they scrapped the "defend nation against the Blight" in Dragon Age II, and instead wrote a plot about a civil war between two sides that each have a legitimate right to their claims, and reasonable motivations. Which is what they should have done in the first game. Unfortunately, the game turned out to be terrible, and I'm guessing they will go back to "save the world from a horde of mindless monsters" in DAI.

That being said, they still managed to ruin Loghain's character by making him intelligent and highly competent but misguided at some points, and an evil incompetent fuck-up at others. They even tried to sort of shift the blame but introducing the Randon Howe character - a completely generic cackling villain who tortures people for fun and sells elves into slavery, so that the player could feel like a glorious hero tearing through the villainy of the other side, but this still begs the question of why Loghain would even bother associating himself with such an obvious villain, or greenlight all of his villainy at a time when his popularity and his claim to the regency are beginning to crumble. In short, good effort, but insufficiently developed, and rendered moot by being secondary to the army of big ugly monsters you need to kill because the plot says so.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
So why couldn't the game be just about this? Ferelden suffering from a civil war, and the looming threat of second occupation by France Orlais? The player character could set out to investigate the truth behind what happened decades ago when Ferelden was stripped of its independence, as well as find out the real motivations of contemporary Orlesian leadership..

But, of course, instead we got an army of generic mindless monsters who are perfectly okay to kill because they are monsters. I guess even Bioware realized that this wasn't good enough, because they scrapped the "defend nation against the Blight" in Dragon Age II, and instead wrote a plot about a civil war between two sides that each have a legitimate right to their claims, and reasonable motivations. Which is what they should have done in the first game. Unfortunately, the game turned out to be terrible, and I'm guessing they will go back to "save the world from a horde of mindless monsters" in DAI.

Like you said, because Bioware needs their magical McGuffin, Blight and Darkspawn invasion in this particular case, to carry the story in their games. Whether this is because of inherent distaste towards actual human drama and all things derived from that or if Bioware genuinely thinks fantasy story always means AN ANCIENT [insert subject here] AWAKENS is beyond me, though. And yes, Inquisition seems to follow suite; you have splintered religious order duking it out between themselves... but there are also magical rifts with demons pouring through to conquer the world. Eh.

That being said, they still managed to ruin Loghain's character by making him intelligent and highly competent but misguided at some points, and an evil incompetent fuck-up at others. They even tried to sort of shift the blame but introducing the Randon Howe character - a completely generic cackling villain who tortures people for fun and sells elves into slavery, so that the player could feel like a glorious hero tearing through the villainy of the other side, but this still begs the question of why Loghain would even bother associating himself with such an obvious villain, or greenlight all of his villainy at a time when his popularity and his claim to the regency are beginning to crumble. In short, good effort, but insufficiently developed, and rendered moot by being secondary to the army of big ugly monsters you need to kill because the plot says so.

One good thing that came out of Howe is his son which you get to meet and have as a possible playable character in Awakening. It leads to some fairly interesting interactions between him and your character if you happen to be human noble origin, what with your history and all from the original game and how both of you just kinda have to deal with it. Sadly, it's pushed deeply into background because, well, Bioware.
Oh, and Rendon Howe was voiced by Tim Curry who I didn't even recognize at first. :incline:

veryalien

Educated
Patron
Codex 2014
LOL. Kriea was a deep and awesome character. Her arc did end quickly thanks to Obsidian rushing the ending, but otherwise it was quite good.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom