Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age: Inquisition Pre-Release Thread

Gurkog

Erudite
Project: Eternity
Archers are all the rage for young girls since the Hunger Games movies. Lead female is confirmed archer.

Tommy Wiseau

Arcane
I liked archers since before it was cool. If I were born a soldier in the Dark Ages, I would have been an archer. I was tempted to buy a bow for home defense, but I had to settle for a fedora.

Caim

Arcane
Archers are all the rage for young girls since the Hunger Games movies. Lead female is confirmed archer.
I would say Legolas did it first. But as an archer myself, I appreciate The Hunger Games for actually having a semi-realistic portrayal of archery and fitting outfits/hairstyles, as opposed to Brave's redhead who's only a few shots away from getting her hair entangled in her bow string or Legolas himself surfing down a staircase and shooting dudes in the face.

I liked archers since before it was cool. If I were born a soldier in the Dark Ages, I would have been an archer. I was tempted to buy a bow for home defense, but I had to settle for a fedora.
You can kill a man at 10 paces using nothing but a fedora? Truly you are a force to be reckoned with.

Gurkog

Erudite
Project: Eternity
I would say Legolas did it first. But as an archer myself, I appreciate The Hunger Games for actually having a semi-realistic portrayal of archery and fitting outfits/hairstyles, as opposed to Brave's redhead who's only a few shots away from getting her hair entangled in her bow string or Legolas himself surfing down a staircase and shooting dudes in the face.

You can kill a man at 10 paces using nothing but a fedora? Truly you are a force to be reckoned with.

I am referring to what owners of archery ranges/schools have stated in interviews. There was a huge explosion in female attendance after the first Hunger Games movie.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
I was tempted to buy a bow for home defense, but I had to settle for a fedora.

I'm sorry, but what is that fedora thing? Google give me bunch results about hats, which didn't make any sense in that context.

Fedoras are now commonly associated to internet tough guys, white knights, man-children, and pseudo intellectuals, who wear them in an attempt to look 'classy' even when they don't fit what they're wearing (i.e. fire decal polo shirt and khaki pants with sandals and socks), and they really don't look good in them. Google "In this moment I am euphoric", and you'll see what I mean.

Delterius

Arcane
You fools. Fedoras are perfectly good weapons when used as chakrams. Not entirely unlike what comes below.

oddjob-hat.jpg

Nael

Arcane
You fools. Fedoras are perfectly good weapons when used as chakrams. Not entirely unlike what comes below.

oddjob-hat.jpg

That isn't a fedora you uncultured lout. That is a bowler hat.

If you want a home defense weapon I advise you all to look into moving to the nicer side of town or investing in a 12 gauge shotgun with pistol grip and collapsible stock.

Grinolf

Arcane
Fedoras are now commonly associated to internet tough guys, white knights, man-children, and pseudo intellectuals, who wear them in an attempt to look 'classy' even when they don't fit what they're wearing (i.e. fire decal polo shirt and khaki pants with sandals and socks), and they really don't look good in them. Google "In this moment I am euphoric", and you'll see what I mean.

So basically he wrote, that he is going to defeat criminal with his bombastic appearance, if some of the would decide to invade in his house? Thanks for clarification, it makes some sense now.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria

So basically he wrote, that he is going to defeat criminal with his bombastic appearance, if some of the would decide to invade in his house? Thanks for clarification, it makes some sense now.

It was essentially just self-deprecation. Guy was just implying that he was one of those pseudo-intellectual losers.

Caim

Arcane
Though to be fair, there's a market for those kind of controls. Mainly in the fighting and beach sports genres.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
I never took part in Morrigan's sex ritual, because my character never had any reason to trust the witch with having the power of a god, even though Bioware will undoubtedly turns this around in DAI and reveal that giving Morrigan the god-child was the right thing because she will use it to fight Flemeth or whatever.
Demon baby's 'not canon', according to Gayder and his cronies. They won't be taking it into account when making other Dragon Age games. Because actually taking your choices into account is too hard for them.
How shortsighted can one be? If you make choices from Game 1 matter you incentivize buying a whole trilogy.
Well, at least they're not bullshitting us by claiming choices *do* matter only for them not to like in Mass Effect.

This has always been BioWare's Great Lie. They say your choices matter, but they really don't. Look at the differences between ME1 and ME2. If you let the council die, you get one dialog option. If you saved them, you get another. There is nothing substantial about either choice. It has no major effect on the any aspect of the game other than a cut scene and some dialog. It does nothing, it means nothing, it changes nothing. The thing that pisses me off the most about BW's writing and design is the illusion of choice, or the focus on the wrong kind of choice (e.g. which party member you can fuck to get a dexterity bonus) but the core game remains the same.

And to make matters worse, all goddamn day long you have to hear their ass-kissing fans drone on and on and on about how GREAT STORY SUCH WOW! It is endless. Who are these fucking people, and why have they never read a book that wasn't illustrated in crayons? How has BW managed to hoodwink these mouth breathers with such efficiency? I need to know the secret. It is too powerful to be left in the hands of a bunch of Canadians.

Caim

Arcane
And to make matters worse, all goddamn day long you have to hear their ass-kissing fans drone on and on and on about how GREAT STORY SUCH WOW! It is endless. Who are these fucking people, and why have they never read a book that wasn't illustrated in crayons? How has BW managed to hoodwink these mouth breathers with such efficiency? I need to know the secret. It is too powerful to be left in the hands of a bunch of Canadians.
It's because of a lack of something better.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
Yeah. Well, there is better stuff out there, it just doesn't appeal to that lowest-common denominator.

You know, I spend a lot of time bashing BioWare but I like(d) many of their games for what they were. I'm not going to lie, I loved BGII and it is up there as one of my all time favorite games. I like the atmosphere they created for ME1, and the shooting/action mechanics for ME2 and M3. And I really, really liked the combat in DA:O. At first I was not crazy about their concession to the holy triad of tank/heals/dps, but I don't think I've encountered it in a way that was so well done. And more than that, I understand the concession in a game that is not grid based, etc. It doesn't send me into a dizzying spell of nerdrage like it might have 5 years ago.

But the stories. My god, the stories. Awful. The last decent one was BGII, and even that was bordering on obsessively cheesy and terribad. The characters are just awful, the worst kind of tropish nonsense. And everything is so goddamn preachy, so fucking Canadian if you take my meaning. You can tell the authors are beating you over the head with their philosophical and political opinions. I mean, it's okay for you to inject that stuff into your work, but you are trying to write fiction here. Not a goddamn political treatise. Take a fucking breather.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Pandering to prevailing social trends as well as power fantasy characters and sexsexsex.

Grinolf

Arcane
What do you mean by that? Everyone who currently playing Bioware games has an internet, which is limitless sourse of entertainment of various forms, that contains both modern works and the classical ones, which age varying from hundred years old to thousands ones. And it only require to look around and not only going along with hype. Saying that there is no available alternatives to ME games in terms of story is one of the worst forms of blashemy.

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
What do you mean by that? Everyone who currently playing Bioware games has an internet, which is limitless sourse of entertainment of various forms, that contains both modern works and the classical ones, which age varying from hundred years old to thousands ones. And it only require to look around and not only going along with hype. Saying that there is no available alternatives to ME games in terms of story is one of the worst forms of blashemy.
Yes but what you suggest requires at least some nominal effort to seek out something that you would enjoy. Today's first world is about having advertising companies telling you what to do with yourself. Busy people don't have time to sit down for an hour and seek out entertainment, they must have entertainment shoved down their throat.

Tytus

Arcane
Yeah. Well, there is better stuff out there, it just doesn't appeal to that lowest-common denominator.

You know, I spend a lot of time bashing BioWare but I like(d) many of their games for what they were. I'm not going to lie, I loved BGII and it is up there as one of my all time favorite games. I like the atmosphere they created for ME1, and the shooting/action mechanics for ME2 and M3. And I really, really liked the combat in DA:O. At first I was not crazy about their concession to the holy triad of tank/heals/dps, but I don't think I've encountered it in a way that was so well done. And more than that, I understand the concession in a game that is not grid based, etc. It doesn't send me into a dizzying spell of nerdrage like it might have 5 years ago.

But the stories. My god, the stories. Awful. The last decent one was BGII, and even that was bordering on obsessively cheesy and terribad. The characters are just awful, the worst kind of tropish nonsense. And everything is so goddamn preachy, so fucking Canadian if you take my meaning. You can tell the authors are beating you over the head with their philosophical and political opinions. I mean, it's okay for you to inject that stuff into your work, but you are trying to write fiction here. Not a goddamn political treatise. Take a fucking breather.

Bioware proverb for the day - "Love thy gay, love thy jew, love thy otherkin/stong-feminist-woman/non-cis-male"

Tytus

Arcane

Alpha Protocol :smug:

Avellion

Erudite
674201.jpg

THE PURPLES AND BLACKS OF MORRIGAN'S elegant ball gown are a cavalier, witchy thumb to the nose of the pastel hues favored by Orlesian fashion. Adorned with feathers and black lace her dress slyly layers the natural upon the ostentatious. Small silver flies cling to her forest green velvet skirt. And while keeping to the style of the Orlesian court, the flexibility of her leather corset allows her to cast a spell or two, should a bard step out of line.

I see BioWare still has fanfiction.net do their writing for them.

http://static.cdn.ea.com/blog.bioware.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/MorriganPrint.pdf

Rake

Arcane
:lol: Gaider starts reading Wheel of Time i see...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom