Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age: Origins is ten years old today

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
:negative:
It is such shame that we didn't get a sequel.
Would've been a great series if they kept it non-voiced protagonist and just improved on the DA: O system instead of changing it altogether with "push a button, something awesome happens!" bullshit. I don't even know wtf happened after Origins. What I'm reading sounds like they really went a different direction altogether. DA: O really was dark as fuck, though.

The one thing I'm really interested in seeing what happens is if you cross the Fade with Morrigan... also wtf the Dark City is.
I really don't care about the voiced protag,as long as they could keep up the dialogue options as in originis. The rest i agree,tho i don't think that the game is darker than the rest. Tho that shit with the dwarfs and the broodmothers was pretty disgusting :). It was more grounded and solidly written than being dark per se. It was pretty good start for a franchise but they really fucked it up.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Things I did in Redcliffe tonight:

- Forcibly put a miserable drunk guy out of his misery
- Intimidated a cowardly dwarf into agreeing to fight in his village's militia, and then executed him anyway because he annoyed me
- Made a missing little boy cry, and then coaxed a kiss from his sister after bringing him back to her
- They're orphans btw
- Abandoned the village before an attack and allowed a horde of undead to kill everyone who wasn't already dead
- Including the orphans

Origins is genuinely one of the best murderhobo sadist simulators ever made.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Would've been a great series if they kept it non-voiced protagonist and just improved on the DA: O system instead of changing it altogether with "push a button, something awesome happens!" bullshit. I don't even know wtf happened after Origins. What I'm reading sounds like they really went a different direction altogether. DA: O really was dark as fuck, though.

The one thing I'm really interested in seeing what happens is if you cross the Fade with Morrigan... also wtf the Dark City is.
I really don't care about the voiced protag,as long as they could keep up the dialogue options as in originis. The rest i agree,tho i don't think that the game is darker than the rest. Tho that shit with the dwarfs and the broodmothers was pretty disgusting :). It was more grounded and solidly written than being dark per se. It was pretty good start for a franchise but they really fucked it up.
I've never played the rest, but in DAO, you can kill a kid, kill his mother, you can get raped, get tortured, get cuckolded, have a three-way, and that's only off the top of my head. IDK, I'd say that's a pretty fucking dark AAA title. Not even New Vegas lets you kill a kid.

Oh, there was also a rumor that Alistair and Morrigan are siblings. I remember reading that the book talks about this possibility back in the BioWare boards. I'm not sure if it's true, probably not true, but if it is, pretty sure they commit incest if you pick the right choices :lol:.

Anyways, DAI and DA2 must be really fucking dark if you can say that DAO it isn't darker than the rest. I've never played them, so I think it'd be great for the series to keep that. Sadly, I have zero interest in playing an RPG with a voiced protagonist. That's a death knell. I wouldn't even play The Witcher or Kingdom Come because of that.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

I've never played the rest, but in DAO, you can kill a kid, kill his mother, you can get raped, get tortured, get cuckolded, have a three-way, and that's only off the top of my head. IDK, I'd say that's a pretty fucking dark AAA title. Not even New Vegas lets you kill a kid.

Oh, there was also a rumor that Alistair and Morrigan are siblings. I remember reading that the book talks about this possibility back in the BioWare boards. I'm not sure if it's true, probably not true, but if it is, pretty sure they commit incest if you pick the right choices :lol:.

Anyways, DAI and DA2 must be really fucking dark if you can say that DAO it isn't darker than the rest. I've never played them, so I think it'd be great for the series to keep that. Sadly, I have zero interest in playing an RPG with a voiced protagonist. That's a death knell. I wouldn't even play The Witcher or Kingdom Come because of that.
Muh,those are not dark shit,those are normal things in our modern society lol. They are not darker than origin for sure,but that doesn't make origin much darker in me book. You have very juvenile view of dark,fucking two women or raped by a powerful man is not something new,cucking has become a fucking meme/fashion at this point.

Now betraying your house and lover,giving them to a bunch of semi undead to gang rape all the women in your house and make them in too breeders.
For something to be seen as dark it has to be seen as breaking the taboo of our kind. Like a fucking horde of fleshling bugs swarming a terran colony and eating everything....in starcrft :). If you want some dark game,check out demonicon,a really hidden gem.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

- Intimidated a cowardly dwarf into agreeing to fight in his village's militia, and then executed him anyway because he annoyed me
- Made a missing little boy cry, and then coaxed a kiss from his sister after bringing him back to her
- They're orphans btw
- Abandoned the village before an attack and allowed a horde of undead to kill everyone who wasn't already dead
- Including the orphans

You sound like a petty faggot lol.

Old Hans

Arcane
the one thing that drives me crazy about dragon age is that all the characters have really long arms with big banana hands AND that facial hair is the worst

Whiny-Butthurt-Liberal

Why are there even undead in this series lol, it doesn't fit the lore in any way.

Cael

Arcane

- They're orphans btw
- Including the orphans

You missed a great opportunity to wipe out half your own party, murder the closest to an honest scientist-historian the setting has, destroy a real relic of the Chantry, commit genocide and more.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
You missed a great opportunity to wipe out half your own party, murder the closest to an honest scientist-historian the setting has, destroy a real relic of the Chantry, commit genocide and more.
Those were all just things I did within a one hour sitting. Don't worry, there's plenty more tears and carnage to come.

Codex Year of the Donut

- They're orphans btw
- Including the orphans

yea DAO is underrated on codex.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

- They're orphans btw
- Including the orphans

Hmmm i don't think that it is underrated,most codexers do like it.

Codex Year of the Donut

- They're orphans btw
- Including the orphans

There's a heavy stigma regarding publicly admitting you like post-NWN bioware games. Bunch of weirdos afraid of imaginary internet buttons.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

- They're orphans btw
- Including the orphans

There's a heavy stigma regarding publicly admitting you like post-NWN bioware games. Bunch of weirdos afraid of imaginary internet buttons.
Ahh haven't noticed such a thing lol. A bunch of pampers wearing old faggots do like whine about the game,but it is not like nobody will talk to you if you admit it or you will get banned. I could hardly care about the opinion of some worthless old faggots that played rpgs 30 years ago and now larp as fans of the genre. LoL is this some knitting forum for us to care about the opinions of others ?!

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

Muh,those are not dark shit,those are normal things in our modern society lol. They are not darker than origin for sure,but that doesn't make origin much darker in me book. You have very juvenile view of dark,fucking two women or raped by a powerful man is not something new,cucking has become a fucking meme/fashion at this point.

Now betraying your house and lover,giving them to a bunch of semi undead to gang rape all the women in your house and make them in too breeders.
For something to be seen as dark it has to be seen as breaking the taboo of our kind. Like a fucking horde of fleshling bugs swarming a terran colony and eating everything....in starcrft :). If you want some dark game,check out demonicon,a really hidden gem.
What's up your ass? Did you ride the bull in DAI or something.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron

- They're orphans btw
- Including the orphans

More like post-Mass Effect. And i'll argue that DAO is perceived as the turning point for grognards because they were promised BG and were offered DAO. I know that's where my hate boner comes from. This kind of trauma generates a shitton of hate (see PoE, same affair).
I shit on it more than often but DAO is A-okay actually. Making it some pinnacle of rpg design is greatly exaggerated though. And we often see such praise here since two years ago for some reason.

Codex Year of the Donut

- They're orphans btw
- Including the orphans

More like post-Mass Effect. And i'll argue that DAO is perceived as the turning point for grognards because they were promised BG and were offered DAO. I know that's where my hate boner comes from. This kind of trauma generates a shitton of hate (see PoE, same affair).
I shit on it more than often but DAO is A-okay actually. Making it some pinnacle of rpg design is greatly exaggerated though. And we often see such praise here since two years ago for some reason.
I've never seen anyone say it's a pinnacle of RPG design, but it's a decently executed cRPG that wasn't trying to push genre boundaries or whatever. Arguably, one of the most well rounded cRPGs in that it has very few flaws.

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
the one thing that drives me crazy about dragon age is that all the characters have really long arms with big banana hands AND that facial hair is the worst

Yeah always looked like you put your pottyfailure under your nose and everyone else was just too polite to say something.

Apostle Hand

Liturgist
Batshit Crazy
I hated those merchants in the camp when every time you want to sell/buy something they say enchantments? fucking faggots
liked that girl who taught leliana to become duelist
fighting darkspawn with haste was kinda cool quick killing

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron

- They're orphans btw
- Including the orphans

I've never seen anyone say it's a pinnacle of RPG design, but it's a decently executed cRPG that wasn't trying to push genre boundaries or whatever. Arguably, one of the most well rounded cRPGs in that it has very few flaws.

Dragon Age: Origins has invented a new formula for cRPG. A formula that truly recreates the PnP experience.
DA:O is not a perfect games. But it shows how the perfect game could be. It’s a brilliant prototype, but sadly only a prototype. This is an unheard cRPG prophet who showed the right way. A way that nobody took. Instead of games which try to recreate PnP experience, which try to develop RP aspects, we are still receiving pseudo-movies in style of Witcher 3 or hiking simulators like Skyrim.
I'm referring to this sort of posts.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom