Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age: The Veilguard - coming Fall 2024

v1c70r14

Educated
Love this revisionist history. Bioware turned bad, therefore retroactively their output was always bad. Peak Codex.
Hey you retarded bulguroid 4channer scum, you know we keep old posts and threads here right? It's not like on your favorite reddit imageboard where we were always at war with East-Asia since five minutes ago since it all disappears down the drain moments after faggots like you piss it out. What did the Codex think about Dragon Age a decade ago?

Before release:

Lulz, who would have guessed. That game will be shit.
This game is even worse than I could've imagined. Bioware reached a whole new low there.
“This is not your father’s fantasy,”
Yeah, I'm pretty sure he would disown me if he knew I play embarassing shit like this.

Getting their hands on the game:

Sucks ass, realtime.
Another biowhore turd, except this time ea had also something to do with it.
The Codex's hivemind opinion is that the game is like totally gay and total shit and noone should buy it.

+KKP
Most people disliked it vehemently. Trash and Vault Dweller especially loathed it and, in a nutshell, declared this to be the CRPG's final degradation.
It's Ass Effect in medieval times. What more is there to say?

... well other than that it's shite, but we already know that.

Still want to talk about historical revisionism?

Delterius

Arcane
Why is everything so pink?
The interface is purple.
The items are colors in purple and squared in pink.
The UI is colored in pink
There is a pink aura emanating from the character.
What's this? Were the developers on weed while making this?
Seems to be a reference to Tevinter. Minrathous is supposedly so high on magic that there's neon lights everywhere. Plus it's supposed to be a Byzantine Empire expy. It could also be that purple is thematically important somehow. Green was DA3's color, and those purple tendrils on the ground are either placeholder material or something we've never seen before. At least that I remember.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Still want to talk about historical revisionism?
I am too lazy to cherry pick posts from that same thread. Any curious person can go fish them out. The thread is basically 1/3 people shitting on DAO, 1/3 people saying its good, and 1/3 people complaining that grognards shit on everything and this is ruining the website.
Game of the Year 2009 for the Codex, by the way :smug:

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
DAO combat was fixable with one simple mod, for the most part. It wasn't great even then but it was serviceable and at least some of the writing was engaging. I certainly remember more from DAO than from any of the other games, except perhaps my burning hatred for everything related to DA2.

v1c70r14

Educated
RPG Codex GOTY 2009
Voting has always been fake and gay, but you also have to remember how dire the RPG genre was looking back then, not that it isn't a heap of shit today. The alternatives were a couple of titles that had even less RPG elements. Risen, an action game but a much better game than Dragon Age. Divinity II, another action game but with Larian's patented bad style, "humor" and cringe. The real GOTY should have been Dark Disciples 2 but most of the elitist grognards that grumbled over how a "cinematic" Bioware dating sim had taken the GOTY spot didn't even know about it. I'd personally put King Arthur above Dragon Age, but that wasn't a real RPG either.
I am too lazy to cherry pick posts from that same thread.
99% thought it was ass, but there are comments from people pissed off that the dogshit they like wasn't more appreciated. I even included one comment like that, one poster being mad the "Codex hivemind" thought the game was shit. Another comment was about the editorial staff shitting on it. These are not random comments but say a lot about the general consensus back then. Nice to see you backtrack your fake alt 4channer history where everyone loved Bioware until they didn't.

v1c70r14

Educated
DAO combat was fixable with one simple mod, for the most part. It wasn't great even then but it was serviceable and at least some of the writing was engaging. I certainly remember more from DAO than from any of the other games, except perhaps my burning hatred for everything related to DA2.
Stop eating from the trashcan.

La vie sexuelle

Learned
Bioware always precedes trends in gaming industry. They made first good Mechwarrior game. They made modern 2002 RPG in 1998 (BG). They made game-editor (NN) before it was a thing. They made movie game from 2015 in 2007 (MA). They made 2020 woke game (DA:I) in 2014. They achieved first woke fail in 2017 with MA:A. Then, they will crumble under a weight of own sins after DA4.
They used to be way ahead but they lost that by Anthem, trying to copy online lootershooters like Destiny. At the time EA was focused on attempting to get in on that and from what I've heard DA4 was supposed to be a part of that effort but since Anthem failed spectacularly and EA changed gears late-development they're trying to salvage what they can now.

In retrospect they also were among the first to attempt to copy No Man's Sky and bring it into their formula with Andromeda, it wasn't just one of the first big woke fails but they also failed at that. Ubisoft and Bethesda are probably going to rake in a lot of money doing it.

pic-20230205-1280x66213dpi.jpg

I strongly believe there is correlation between woke, corporatism and lack of imagination.

In capitalism, company wins when it is ahead before competitors. To do that, you need a good product, understanding your customers, understanding market and money. Bioware is model company for that mechanism. New technology created environment for clever businessmen like Muzyka and Zechuk. They followed progressive nature of their market, and because they did well, they achieved success. Being sold to EA was a natural step, not distortion, but even without that Bioware had this culture of constant progress.

Progress feed with past. When progress destroy past, there are only remnants of earlier stages of progress. Cultural cannibalism without new sources. You could try to sustain progress with new culture to feed with, but when progress get into cannibalism phase it lacks of adaptive abilities (to be adaptive at first you must know yourself, progress has no identity). Finally, progress dies.

It's true with Bioware, It's true with world.
All Bioware cRPGs had elements of role-play and developing character. Simplified, dumber, but still RPG. If they weren't RPG, what they were? And no, "shit" is not real descriptive term.

You are joking right? Both of them are third-person shooters.

Only ME fits, and even this games has remnants of RPG inside.

Delterius

Arcane
Knights of the Chalice
a codex diplomat attempted to acquire 7 copies of knights of the chalice with godless fiat currency otherwise known as strayan dollars. it was then that the righteous forces of the pirate known as pierre begue arrested them, and subjected them to human rights abuses. for 17 hours straight begue asked our diplomat 'are you who you say you are', 'are you who you say you are', 'are you who you say you are'. finally he blazened the words 'liar' and 'fiat slave' on the codexer's back, and let him go.

v1c70r14

Educated
I strongly believe there is correlation between woke, corporatism and lack of imagination.

In capitalism, company wins when it is ahead before competitors. To do that, you need a good product, understanding your customers, understanding market and money. Bioware is model company for that mechanism. New technology created environment for clever businessmen like Muzyka and Zechuk. They followed progressive nature of their market, and because they did well, they achieved success. Being sold to EA was a natural step, not distortion, but even without that Bioware had this culture of constant progress.

Progress feed with past. When progress destroy past, there are only remnants of earlier stages of progress. Cultural cannibalism without new sources. You could try to sustain progress with new culture to feed with, but when progress get into cannibalism phase it lacks of adaptive abilities (to be adaptive at first you must know yourself, progress has no identity). Finally, progress dies.

Très vrai, je suis tout à fait d'accord. Quand le passé n'éclaire plus l'avenir, l'esprit marche dans les ténèbres.
doesn't matter
Favela monkey since 2012, 2004, 1999, what does it matter? You defend romance novels, I play CRPGs.

La vie sexuelle

Learned

Très vrai, je suis tout à fait d'accord. Quand le passé n'éclaire plus l'avenir, l'esprit marche dans les ténèbres.
Mais, dans un esprit positif: "Les grandes richesses disparaissent ; le nombre des petites fortunes s’accroît ; les désirs et les jouissances se multiplient ; il n’y a plus de prospérités extraordinaires ni de misères irrémédiables. "

v1c70r14

Educated
Mais, dans un esprit positif: "Les grandes richesses disparaissent ; le nombre des petites fortunes s’accroît ; les désirs et les jouissances se multiplient ; il n’y a plus de prospérités extraordinaires ni de misères irrémédiables. "
Qu'est-ce que l'entropie sinon un retour à l'équilibre attendant d'être perturbé? Tu mérites le monocle de distinction que possède le singe ci-dessus.

La vie sexuelle

Learned
Qu'est-ce que l'entropie sinon un retour à l'équilibre attendant d'être perturbé? Tu mérites le monocle de distinction que possède le singe ci-dessus.
Merci. Nos cadets frères dans Amazonie sont...spécifiques.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
Stop eating from the trashcan.
It would simply be revisionism to claim that DAO was not received well.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Only ME fits, and even this games has remnants of RPG inside.

Need for speed and Call of duty have remnants of RPG inside them too, moron. What a RPG needs to have is the main gameplay loop to be sufficiently independent from the player's reactions e.g. if combat is the main focus of a game it mechanics should be simulated by stats representation of the ROLE the character is having, that is the ROLEplay in RPG. That's why Mass Effect is RPG and Mass Effect 2 is a third-person shooter, Morrowind is a RPG and Oblivion is an action game. Ofc you need to have other aspects like adventure like story,character progression, some sort of equipment mechanics etc. but these are secondary characteristics that define a game to a specific genre. If your main game mechanic is not driven by stats it can't be RPG.

Knights of the Chalice
a codex diplomat attempted to acquire 7 copies of knights of the chalice with godless fiat currency otherwise known as strayan dollars. it was then that the righteous forces of the pirate known as pierre begue arrested them, and subjected them to human rights abuses. for 17 hours straight begue asked our diplomat 'are you who you say you are', 'are you who you say you are', 'are you who you say you are'. finally he blazened the words 'liar' and 'fiat slave' on the codexer's back, and let him go.
Here's footage of the event Delt is describing.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Here's something that will put DA:O into perspective, whether you think it's shit or not.

If Dreadwolf is released and is essentially a carbon copy of DA:O quality-wise (with modern graphics and a new storyline ofc), it will probably be regarded as a huge revival for BioWare. Codexers will claim to love BioWare again (lol), mainstream journos will rave about it, streamers will stream.

It will immediately be (at the very least) a competitor to BG3 and any other RPG released around the same period, if not bury them.

The fact that a game like DA:O is so borderline unachievable in 2023 should tell you everything you need to know about the modern video game industry.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom