Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age: The Veilguard - coming Fall 2024

La vie sexuelle

Learned
The heavy emphasis in MP wasn't always there. Sure, it was a thing in IE, but NWN went almost MMO-ish because of how crucial the DM component for Vampire the Masquerade Redemption was. Nobody talked about the main game, just the DM component for MP. Plus MMOs looked like they were going to replace the entire gaming scene back then. Those were dire times.
Module management was bit too complicated for most of their player base, methinks. Future was in quick and dumb MMO (Blizzard known what they do). That kind of game Bioware created a few years later, The Old Republic. Today this fact is particularly funny, because now EA is taking TOR from Bioware ("they need to focus on DA4").

"Everything rhymes, like in poetry."

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
unachievable
Unviable economically. Games need to be:
  • playable on gamepad
  • playable on your tv from 2-3 meters away
  • playable by people for whom english is a third language
  • have distinct micro goals that can be achieved in ~1 hour of play
  • have additional ways to demand payments from owners
The first three points have to do with UI, dialogues, writing, the kind mouse powered combat we like. They are the big ones, methinks.
Bioware will also never do what they perceive as regression by going back to their older design. After they went with action approach in Inquisition it was clear they weren't going back to anything preceding that milestone. Tactical party mode was anemic as hell and just a token inclusion, for example.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
The history of Bioware's decline is first seeing how they narrowed in on things that they felt made development easier (patterns they could repeat, like character archetypes or hub based party dialogue instead of scripted interactions) and then demonstrated through their fixation on themes that the overexuberant 'true fans' on their shitty official boards (and then reddit, and then within their own staff as they hired from the party-color-haired agents of decline) seemed desperate for, like playersexual romances and social media fodder. It stopped being about games a very long time ago. It went from gameplay/lore to 'click a button and awesome happens' to 'click a button and fucking happens' to whatever the hell we have now. Bioware magic at its finest.

Well, if anything, Bioware is probably the only example of a major rpg developer that gave players what they wanted. Romance talks were already there in bg1, due to the community's reaction to npcs coming in pairs and having interactions that reflected that, and of course, the Imoen romance mods, and then the community clamored so much for them to be officially included that Bioware did just that. However, as we know, that ended up developing a cult-like group that ended being quarantined in the BSN.
That side of Bioware's development also took an influx of people who were more into the romance novel type of fantasy instead of rpg players. Combine that with a heavy emphasis on cinematic stuff in gaming as a whole plus the almost non existant competition (at least in terms of Bioware-sized studios) and it was pretty easy for them to not only carve a niche, but also reconfigure what an rpg was in the eyes of the AAA public.

Ironically, while people bitched and moaned about it, the fact that The Witcher 2 had adult relationships and actual nudity made Bioware look like silly ninnies. DAI included topless nudity in women, but by then it was too late.

It feels weird to remember those days when CDPR was seen as the cool studio though.

La vie sexuelle

Learned
It feels weird to remember those days when CDPR was seen as the cool studio though.
I have particular moment in Witcher 3 that for me is turning point for whole CDPR: Moment when Dijkstra explain with relationship with Philippa. He said something like: "I tried everything, but she prefers woman!". In book Eilhart change her interest because she was bored with men. CDPR made this change because they were afraid Twitter reaction on: "Changing sexual interest at will".

Minor change? That's how cancer starts.

I believe we could found at lat few "minor changes" in Bioware history.

I have particular moment in Witcher 3 that for me is turning point for whole CDPR: Moment when Dijkstra explain with relationship with Philippa. He said something like: "I tried everything, but she prefers woman!". In book Eilhart change her interest because she was bored with men. CDPR made this change because they were afraid Twitter reaction on: "Changing sexual interest at will".

I mean, they had changed like half of the world in the games and that's not even considering the fanfic stuff they added...

La vie sexuelle

Learned

I mean, they had changed like half of the world in the games and that's not even considering the fanfic stuff they added...
Yes, of course :D But it was happened after some minor, alas significant changes. For example - when qunari became such losers? I DA, when they changed they design. It was sign how much they want revamp all faction.

La vie sexuelle

Learned

Yes, of course :D But it was happened after some minor, alas significant changes. For example - when qunari became such losers? I DA, when they changed they design. It was sign how much they want revamp all faction.
In DA2*

MerchantKing

Learned
Mais, dans un esprit positif: "Les grandes richesses disparaissent ; le nombre des petites fortunes s’accroît ; les désirs et les jouissances se multiplient ; il n’y a plus de prospérités extraordinaires ni de misères irrémédiables. "
Qu'est-ce que l'entropie sinon un retour à l'équilibre attendant d'être perturbé? Tu mérites le monocle de distinction que possède le singe ci-dessus.
Merci. Nos cadets frères dans Amazonie sont...spécifiques.
I'm always amazed at how much of the French language is readable to an English speaker. I can at least pick out some meaning from it. Too bad it's entirely incomprehensible when spoken. I would never have guessed it was a romance language like Spanish or Italian based on being spoken alone. It doesn't even have the angry and antisemitic overtones you'd expect to find from its Germ roots either.

Zeriel

Arcane
The heavy emphasis in MP wasn't always there. Sure, it was a thing in IE, but NWN went almost MMO-ish because of how crucial the DM component for Vampire the Masquerade Redemption was. Nobody talked about the main game, just the DM component for MP. Plus MMOs looked like they were going to replace the entire gaming scene back then. Those were dire times.
Module management was bit too complicated for most of their player base, methinks. Future was in quick and dumb MMO (Blizzard known what they do). That kind of game Bioware created a few years later, The Old Republic. Today this fact is particularly funny, because now EA is taking TOR from Bioware ("they need to focus on DA4").

"Everything rhymes, like in poetry."

In NWN it would automatically download a module when you joined a server. I don't think there was any friction from the player side of things.

Singleplayer campaign being sliced up was a bit odd maybe, but that's it.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Mais, dans un esprit positif: "Les grandes richesses disparaissent ; le nombre des petites fortunes s’accroît ; les désirs et les jouissances se multiplient ; il n’y a plus de prospérités extraordinaires ni de misères irrémédiables. "
Qu'est-ce que l'entropie sinon un retour à l'équilibre attendant d'être perturbé? Tu mérites le monocle de distinction que possède le singe ci-dessus.
Merci. Nos cadets frères dans Amazonie sont...spécifiques.
I'm always amazed at how much of the French language is readable to an English speaker. I can at least pick out some meaning from it. Too bad it's entirely incomprehensible when spoken. I would never have guessed it was a romance language like Spanish or Italian based on being spoken alone. It doesn't even have the angry and antisemitic overtones you'd expect to find from its Germ roots either.
Afaik the Franks left much bigger Germanic mark on French (that's why you can pick up meaning as English) than the Lombards did on Italian or the Visigoths on Spanish. Those two are much purer Romance languages.

Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
The entire ME series is a good study of decline. Every game removing soul from the previous one: weapon heating, character development, decisions mattering, even the fucking car missions. They added multiplayer, which I don't care for.
ME3 was by far the best in terms of build gameplay. You could max almost everything in ME1 and ME2 was basically gears of War.

However, ME3 had building/leveling the character with different paths + the weight system affecting cooldowns + brought back weapon customization (although worse than ME1 imo because it was mostly just small stat bonuses). If they removed global cool downs it would probably be the peak of what they could achieve with the gameplay they were going for. Unfortunately they took ME2 combat to improve upon, instead of ME1.

In fact, ME3 is better "RPG" than ME2 and better in almost everything except for certain aspects of writing.

Plot is better because ME2 didn't have one but everything else from character interaction, dialogue, etc. Is worse.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

In fact, ME3 is better "RPG" than ME2 and better in almost everything except for certain aspects of writing.
It's not a better RPG coz it was even more stripped down and streamlined than ME2. But it was definitely the best gameplay-wise, even though the ending was almost as retarded as the ending in ME2.

Overall for me it's ME1 - ME3 - ME2.

Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
It's not a better RPG coz it was even more stripped down and streamlined than ME2. But it was definitely the best gameplay-wise, even though the ending was almost as retarded as the ending in ME2.

Overall for me it's ME1 - ME3 - ME2.
Neither had C&C or good PC development but ME3 had better gameplay and combat from an RPG perspective which is why I still consider it the better RPG.

La vie sexuelle

Learned
It's nothing more like Germanic propaganda. Franks heritage in our language is limited mostly to spelling and war vocabulary.

French is familiar to Les Anglais because we conquered them, replaced their nobles and forced peasants to use our language.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
It's nothing more like Germanic propaganda. Franks heritage in our language is limited mostly to spelling and war vocabulary.

French is familiar to Les Anglais because we conquered them, replaced their nobles and forced peasants to use our language.

Actually it's the other way round, the French nobles developed a pidgin form of English (the then-equivalent, I mean), which then became standard.

La vie sexuelle

Learned

Actually it's the other way round, the French nobles developed a pidgin form of English (the then-equivalent, I mean), which then became standard.

During Medieval there is no "standard languages", just local variant. Normans had own, with many Germanic remnants from their Vikings ancestors. It sounded low, gnarling, not like glorious langue d'oc.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

During Medieval there is no "standard languages", just local variant. Normans had own, with many Germanic remnants from their Vikings ancestors. It sounded low, gnarling, not like glorious langue d'oc.

What I mean is, the French nobles half-assedly learned the local languages, and their bastardization was then emulated by the locals. At least that's the standard view when I read about it ages ago.

La vie sexuelle

Learned

What I mean is, the French nobles half-assedly learned the local languages, and their bastardization was then emulated by the locals. At least that's the standard view when I read about it ages ago.

You are from London, so probably that's British perspective on William conquer ;) But think - you are French-Norman noble. You know local language only on level necessary to command. Peasants come to you, asking for many things, you talk to them by your translator. It means that peasants must to learn your language if they want to be successful with you. They learn without schools, from mouth-to-mouth, finally deforming French in English.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
I am sure the mood is cheerful in Bioware studios, responsible for freadwolf after BG3 release and they are still adamant in transgender,, lgbtasda+, zoophile and pedophile agendas this game is sure to endorse.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

You are from London, so probably that's British perspective on William conquer ;) But think - you are French-Norman noble. You know local language only on level necessary to command. Peasants come to you, asking for many things, you talk to them by your translator. It means that peasants must to learn your language if they want to be successful with you. They learn without schools, from mouth-to-mouth, finally deforming French in English.

As I said, that's not what the consensus is (last time I looked up a few years ago). The consensus is that there was no "translator," they had to learn the local languages, but obviously only enough to get the ruling job done, and then the peasants (presumably starting with native courtiers, etc., so as not to offend) copied their bastardizations.

The amount of "French" (as it was then) in English is really quite superficial, it didn't affect the language deeply.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

It means that peasants must to learn your language if they want to be successful with you. They learn without schools, from mouth-to-mouth, finally deforming French in English.
Yes, the conquered sometimes adopted the language of the conquerors - the Hungarians, the Scottish/Irish/Welsh, droves of various darkies speaking English/Spanish/French today etc.

But there are also many cases from history where the ruling class was effectively assimilated into the wider population and fully adopted the local language. The Norse in Russia and France, the Bulgars in Bulgaria, Visigoths in Spain and many others.

Myobi

Liturgist
I am sure the mood is cheerful in Bioware studios, responsible for freadwolf after BG3 release and they are still adamant in transgender,, lgbtasda+, zoophile and pedophile agendas this game is sure to endorse.
Bioware is fucked now :shredder:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom