Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age: The Veilguard - coming Fall 2024

Froila

Educated
wasn't flemeth's whole thing that she would train people then eat them and take their body? that was part of morrigan's story arc i thought
In Inquisition they reconnected it a bit and apparently all those 'sacrifices' were voluntarily given by her daughters. Since she explained her nature as one of elvish "gods" and why sustaining her was important.
So human girls voluntarily sacrifice themselves to sustain elvish 'goddess'.

It doesn't make sense to me.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
Flemeth was especially jarring. With qunari, I could sort of suspend my disbelief, because at least they acted sort of like what Sten described them as, but Flemeth looked and acted like a different person.

According to Gaider those two models (Qunari and Flementh) were designed during Origins days, but they ran out of time/money to finish them. So when they started working on DA2 decided to use them or make it "like the Klingon thing" to quote him. And that "those models are so cool nobody will care"

He said as much in one of the long form Dragon Age retrospectives he decided to do an interview for.
I thought Flemeth was because she's a shapeshifter and in 2 and Inquisition she doesn't bother with the humble old woman disguise.
wasn't flemeth's whole thing that she would train people then eat them and take their body? that was part of morrigan's story arc i thought
idk who cares da2 sucks donkey dick
I really liked how in Inquisition you, as an Elf MC, finally get to confront her about her bullshit and all she does is "lol whatever" and the entire topic is dropped.

just

Liturgist
Dragon Age: Dreadwolf transitioned to Veilguard.
piFmybb.png

9ma9km.jpeg
himself
heh

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
I really liked [...] Inquisition
I present to you, average Dragon Age Inquisition player.
Yea, I actually played through Inquisition. Pirated of course. So I know what I'm talking about and don't have to try and analyze why it's shit like a lot of people are doing in here.
There is nothing good about the series after DA:O. Nothing. Objectively.

Technomancer

Liturgist
So human girls voluntarily sacrifice themselves to sustain elvish 'goddess'.

It doesn't make sense to me.
Well maybe some of them don't. She basically said a soul can't be forced on the unwilling (can't have rape in bioware game, even a metaphysical one) and that Morrigan was never in danger from her. Sure seemed pretty dangerous in 1.

But since Flem raises them they are conditioned to value "old magics". Even Morrigan throws a massive fit if you refuse to bang her and do the dark ritual coz if you don't, the soul of old god locked in archdemon dragon is gone forever. And that is apparently bad for whatever reason. I recall she explained same brainwashed old magic bullshit as the prime motivation. That it should remain in the world. Flem lived for centuries, probably knows a thing or two on how to raise followers.

Poseidon00

Arcane
It has to be painful to be on the dev team of this game right now. You know what's going to happen. Even after hearing a summary of events several different times, i'm still flabbergasted that this was allowed to be an ongoing train-wreck of this magnitude.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Here's what I think happened. They had a clue what to do for Dragon Age 4 after Inquisition, but panicked when Andromeda and Anthem were such a trainwreck and it has been a constant internal battle trying to decide what to do after that. There have probably been numerous reworks, redesigns, reiterations, re-everythings of this game up to this point. My prediction is that it will be severely unfocused and like it has been designed by committee in order to prevent an Andromeda/Anthem-like situation because this is probably Bioware's last chance.

Dr1f7

Scholar
It has to be painful to be on the dev team of this game right now. You know what's going to happen. Even after hearing a summary of events several different times, i'm still flabbergasted that this was allowed to be an ongoing train-wreck of this magnitude.
it's crazy to see how much good will has sustained these companies that released a few fine games 20+ years ago
it's like, blizz, bioware, bethesda have been releasing nothing but slop for decades now and people are like "NO THIS TIME IT'LL TOTALLY BE LIKE BG2 TAKE MY $70 + $25 'EPIC PREORDER DELUXE' "

Vatnik Wumao
Here's what I think happened. They had a clue what to do for Dragon Age 4 after Inquisition, but panicked when Andromeda and Anthem were such a trainwreck and it has been a constant internal battle trying to decide what to do after that. There have probably been numerous reworks, redesigns, reiterations, re-everythings of this game up to this point. My prediction is that it will be severely unfocused and like it has been designed by committee in order to prevent an Andromeda/Anthem-like situation because this is probably Bioware's last chance.
Now the real question is whether DA4 can possibly end up being worse than VtMB2.

In terms of future releases, I think that Avowed will probably end up being better than either of those two. Not that it'd be any high praise, but yeah.

Baldur's Gate 3 fucked up their plans, most likely. It's even more painful than being exposed as hacks by CDPR, because BG is "their" thing.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Here's what I think happened. They had a clue what to do for Dragon Age 4 after Inquisition,...
Wrong, wrong, wrong.
Afaik, Inquisition sold well and it had however many pieces of DLC, so I don't see why they wouldn't have a clue. Just do the same thing. This was literally 10 years ago, though, why hasn't this game come out yet? I think it's because of redesigns and internal strife due to Anthem and Andromeda's failure. This sudden renaming speaks to reworks too.

Terenty

Liturgist
piFmybb.png
Isn't calling yourself Trans Woman akin to calling yourself Fake Woman? What's the point

Also, I think these hashtags work like cheat codes in games, if you put the right ones you will immediately get social points and even get promoted. #transrights and then randomly put #blacklivesmatter, boom, level up

Here's what I think happened. They had a clue what to do for Dragon Age 4 after Inquisition,...
Wrong, wrong, wrong.
Afaik, Inquisition sold well and it had however many pieces of DLC, so I don't see why they wouldn't have a clue. Just do the same thing. This was literally 10 years ago, though, why hasn't this game come out yet? I think it's because of redesigns and internal strife due to Anthem and Andromeda's failure. This sudden renaming speaks to reworks too.
Its development was troubled, though. The original design was that of an MMORPG, which is why it feels so much like an MMO. They were also forced to use EA's engine, which is unfit for rpgs. The design philosophy also changed halfway to make way for pc-oriented menus and similar UI elements.

Vatnik Wumao

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
There was a late decision to make Inquisition cross-gen multiplatform meaning they had to cut a lot of content/features and quickly replace it with the "Collect 10 bear asses" filler the game is littered with.
Once again posting the alpha gameplay, where you can see the environments are mainly the only thing left intact in the final game:

Inquisition's multiplayer was just a DA equivalent of ME3's multiplayer, the psudeo-MMO craze that led to shit like Anthem was a response to Destiny's success which came out in 2014 alongside Inquistion.

processdaemon

Scholar
Patron
Now the real question is whether DA4 can possibly end up being worse than VtMB2.

In terms of future releases, I think that Avowed will probably end up being better than either of those two. Not that it'd be any high praise, but yeah.
I think it'll be Avowed>DA4>VtMB2. I think Avowed will be basically fine but boring, DA4 will be Andromeda tier and VtMB2 will just be an unfathomable mess.

Semiurge

Cipher
Flemeth was especially jarring. With qunari, I could sort of suspend my disbelief, because at least they acted sort of like what Sten described them as, but Flemeth looked and acted like a different person.

According to Gaider those two models (Qunari and Flementh) were designed during Origins days, but they ran out of time/money to finish them. So when they started working on DA2 decided to use them or make it "like the Klingon thing" to quote him. And that "those models are so cool nobody will care"

He said as much in one of the long form Dragon Age retrospectives he decided to do an interview for.
The only two things DA2 did right tbh

I agree. Redesigned Flemeth looked like something out of those '80s sword & sorcery movies, that fit the camp tone of DA:O perfectly. Imagine if they had used the model in your first encounter with her in DA:O, it would've needlessly underlined that she must be a significant antagonist in the game. The haggard old woman appearance leaves enough doubt about her true nature and purpose. Her ordinary appearance in Origins can be explained with magic anyway, it's a common trope that ancient magic wielders use glamor spells to appear ordinary among unsuspecting people. It would've been fine if this was the way she looked during your second encounter with her, when you do Morrigan's quest.

Cm6puRR.jpeg

The boob window is of course undignified for a woman of her age.

piFmybb.png

9ma9km.jpeg
This game is going to flop so hard...why do EA hate making money so much?

On a bright note, this might be what finally ends Bioware for good and puts them (and us) out of their misery.

Money?

Oh you mean profits from consumers. That don't matter anymore in the age of woke financers and money laundering.

Repeating what I wrote in Shoutbox yesterday:

Notice how in two different franchises BioWare set up an "elite anti-evil operatives" group in the first game (Spectres, Gray Wardens), with the implication that they'd be central to the series, only to largely discard them in following games. What the hell is a Veilguard, where did this come from? Actually I guess they basically did the same thing with the Inquisition, which makes it worse.

So in this game the bulk of the enemies will be

-- wait for it ---

demons and evil spirits?

How original.

There goes my dragon age : deadwolf joke if this ever released. Need to find a new pun.
Failguard

On retardera they know us so well

s5twT1Y.jpeg

How much do you bet that he got banned for bringing up that potential slur against their flagship game?

Late Bloomer

Scholar
The original design was that of an MMORPG, which is why it feels so much like an MMO.

That was Kingdoms of Amalur.
DA:I as well. They wanted to make the online component much more prevalent.
Yep. Hence even in the final product us being left with the retarded war table system that gated operations behind obscenely long real time durations.

Incorrect. The multiplayer component was added as part of a user survey after the fact. It played different than the main game with a big focus on action and speed. The war table was not meant to be stared at while you send your people out. It was meant to simulate being the Herald, being in charge of a bigger picture than just your chosen companions. There should never have been a point where you are using the War Table and then at a loss for what to do. That says more about you than the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom