Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age: The Veilguard - coming Fall 2024

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Here's what I think happened. They had a clue what to do for Dragon Age 4 after Inquisition,...
Wrong, wrong, wrong.

They had very much a clear direction when Mike Laidlaw was leading the team, only to have it canceled and rebooted into a Live Service game again.... which then got canceled and rebooted again into Failguard.

Technomancer

Liturgist
meaning they had to cut a lot of content/features and quickly replace it with the "Collect 10 bear asses" filler the game is littered with. Once again posting the alpha gameplay, where you can see the environments are mainly the only thing left intact in the final game.

Darrah said that all of this was basically staged and faked, in fact they didn't have a lot of things to cut coz most of it was done for the demo.

Herumor

Scholar
I wonder if they'll have the same retarded approach to enemies constantly respawning in areas that they did in Inquisition.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Neither Dragon Age Inquisition nor Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning were repurposed MMOs, but there are reasons people believe that. Dragon Age Inquisition was developed in a Frostbite Engine fork that was originally intended for a multiplayer game (similar to how Baldur's Gate was an RTS tech demo very early on), while Amalur was set in the same universe as an MMO that ended up being cancelled. That both games feature MMO-style fetch quest filler content was apparently a design choice.

Last edited:
Vatnik Wumao
Incorrect. The multiplayer component was added as part of a user survey after the fact. It played different than the main game with a big focus on action and speed. The war table was not meant to be stared at while you send your people out. It was meant to simulate being the Herald, being in charge of a bigger picture than just your chosen companions.
Bro, gating content behind the passing of real time is not single player game design. Simple as.
There should never have been a point where you are using the War Table and then at a loss for what to do. That says more about you than the game.
:nocountryforshitposters:
It's not about being at a loss, but about the game incentivizing taking breaks often. That makes sense in a multiplayer game where stuff like login rewards and dailies are meant to keep the player's engagement with the game over a long period of time, but with single player games it's just retarded. Devs don't get more money due to you being forced to extend your playthrough over a longer period of time (unless you want to miss content related to that mechanic and some of these operations were worth doing for the narrative fluff that they provided) hence it serves solely as an inconvenience to the player depending on their preferred playstyle.

I did a completionist playthrough of DAI, so the only thing that the war table gating bullshit meant was that I had to waste time switching my PC's clock back and forth in order to unlock the remaining missions before going into the endgame.

Xorazm

Cipher
So human girls voluntarily sacrifice themselves to sustain elvish 'goddess'.

It doesn't make sense to me.
Well maybe some of them don't. She basically said a soul can't be forced on the unwilling (can't have rape in bioware game, even a metaphysical one) and that Morrigan was never in danger from her. Sure seemed pretty dangerous in 1.

But since Flem raises them they are conditioned to value "old magics". Even Morrigan throws a massive fit if you refuse to bang her and do the dark ritual coz if you don't, the soul of old god locked in archdemon dragon is gone forever. And that is apparently bad for whatever reason. I recall she explained same brainwashed old magic bullshit as the prime motivation. That it should remain in the world. Flem lived for centuries, probably knows a thing or two on how to raise followers.

This feels like kind of a weird point to make, but there was actually rape in Origins (the whole Broodmother storyline).

People can have plenty of opinions about that, but it certainly was jarring to go from that towards the series veering into a more generic, YA style tone.

Oberon

Learned

Well maybe some of them don't. She basically said a soul can't be forced on the unwilling (can't have rape in bioware game, even a metaphysical one) and that Morrigan was never in danger from her. Sure seemed pretty dangerous in 1.

But since Flem raises them they are conditioned to value "old magics". Even Morrigan throws a massive fit if you refuse to bang her and do the dark ritual coz if you don't, the soul of old god locked in archdemon dragon is gone forever. And that is apparently bad for whatever reason. I recall she explained same brainwashed old magic bullshit as the prime motivation. That it should remain in the world. Flem lived for centuries, probably knows a thing or two on how to raise followers.
Lol so anything that hints at rape is heckin problematic but of course grooming is okay.
:bioware:

Technomancer

Liturgist
This feels like kind of a weird point to make, but there was actually rape in Origins (the whole Broodmother storyline).

That's old bio though. Before the rainbow corp logo. And DAO was always marketed as an edgy dark fantasy game, do you remember metal CGI trailers? By game 3 you have crowds singing sappy disney songs. Succubus desire demon getting deleted from existence. Tone shifted, different values.

But yeah, same era Bioware cut gay romances from Mass Effect 1 despite recording the voice lines for them. Coz they thought it wouldn't fly or was too much or whatever. Different times.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath

But yeah, same era Bioware cut gay romances from Mass Effect 1 despite recording the voice lines for them. Coz they thought it wouldn't fly or was too much or whatever. Different times.
It's because the face model for male Shep didn't want to be seen doing anything gay.

Froila

Educated

So ''ancient elven goddess" is just an ordinary death cult leader.

No, I get it. The writers thought that raising children to kill them for the sake of her own longevity was too sick for a supposedly good but complex character, so they decided to make her 'kinder', as they see it.

In DAO (I never played any other DA titles and never will) it was an open question. Do Flem kill her daughters, or Morrigan is just a paranoid bitch? They should left it as it was: magical world has many secrets, we'll never know the truth and yada yada.

It would be much more elegant and without additional excogitation, which is obviously too complicated for the Bioware authors.

Last edited:

Technomancer

Liturgist
It's because the face model for male Shep didn't want to be seen doing anything gay.

Point I was trying to make it was possible. Current bio would instantly replace them with someone more agreeable.

But they also say it was a bug in the pipeline basically:

When I asked whether or not Kaidan's romance was cut for Male Shepard in the first game, and if so would it be restored in the remaster, Walters responded with a quick and resounding "no." He elaborated, saying "So, this is an interesting one. What had happened in the original first game – actually in all of them – is when we would record the male and female Shepard lines, you actually had to go in and manually flag every single line that shouldn't or should be recorded for either gender at the time. The process for that, as you can imagine – like our tools had just been created on Mass Effect 1 – relied on every human to go in and actually select every single line. What you'd find is that there, it's not just the lines, there are other lines that got recorded that shouldn't have been recorded, because they weren't checked so they'd just get printed off as a script, they'd go to the studio, the actors would record them, they'd come back to the game, and that's what shipped."

Semiurge

Cipher

Point I was trying to make it was possible. Current bio would instantly replace them with someone more agreeable.

But they also say it was a bug in the pipeline basically:

When I asked whether or not Kaidan's romance was cut for Male Shepard in the first game, and if so would it be restored in the remaster, Walters responded with a quick and resounding "no." He elaborated, saying "So, this is an interesting one. What had happened in the original first game – actually in all of them – is when we would record the male and female Shepard lines, you actually had to go in and manually flag every single line that shouldn't or should be recorded for either gender at the time. The process for that, as you can imagine – like our tools had just been created on Mass Effect 1 – relied on every human to go in and actually select every single line. What you'd find is that there, it's not just the lines, there are other lines that got recorded that shouldn't have been recorded, because they weren't checked so they'd just get printed off as a script, they'd go to the studio, the actors would record them, they'd come back to the game, and that's what shipped."

What the fuck did I just read. Bug in the pipeline my ass.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
I feel conflicted. I genuinely liked Dragon Age Origins and settings but then, after years, it all started to feel like a weird shadenfreude soap drama. Like, if you once confessed to some school love and she rejected you, laughing, and then you are an adult with a loving family and stable income and from time to time see how your first love fares and she is a single fat mom with several mixed race kids and low-wage sweatshop job.
And now she is spamming social networks how she found her true love with potentially famous rapper Tyrone and he is totally gonna marry her because she is secretly pregnant. And on june 11 she will announe that to tyrone and all his friends. And you cannot stop monitoring how all this situation unfolds.

Dishonoredbr

Erudite
There goes my dragon age : deadwolf joke if this ever released. Need to find a new pun.
Failguard

On retardera they know us so well

s5twT1Y.jpeg
FagGuard

Baron Tahn

Scholar
You jest but I have this horrible feeling that 'FagGuard' might be close to the money. Like somehow this is going to be a game where we are defending all the fey, queer, furry, trans etc folks from 'Evil Empire'.

I keep hoping that no matter what they bring out they have 'evil' alignment options so I can play the good guys.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
When even your subreddit mocks your game. It's joever.

1717788173430.png

I still remember the days of rage, cope and seething that happened with Andromeda. I can't wait.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom