Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age: The Veilguard - coming Fall 2024

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
When even your subreddit mocks your game. It's joever.

View attachment 50661

I still remember the days of rage, cope and seething that happened with Andromeda. I can't wait.
I just remember people laughing at the game. Don't think anyone was particularly angry with it.
It was the pretty standard 6 stages of grief. The anger wasn't immediate, but later, when they wanted someone to blame.

One of the clearest signs that a game has failed unequivocally is if the main subreddit starts trashing it.

Reddit mods bend over backwards to please developers, so when that happens, it means the jannies can't keep up with deleting and hiding posts.

View attachment 50661

I still remember the days of rage, cope and seething that happened with Andromeda. I can't wait.
I just remember people laughing at the game. Don't think anyone was particularly angry with it.
It was the pretty standard 6 stages of grief. The anger wasn't immediate, but later, when they wanted someone to blame.

One of the clearest signs that a game has failed unequivocally is if the main subreddit starts trashing it.

Reddit mods bend over backwards to please developers, so when that happens, it means the jannies can't keep up with deleting and hiding posts.
Reddit has a near pathological obsession with being "nice" so it's not just that. Besides all subreddits for typical "nerd culture" interests are taken over by trans people now. I don't have an account there but I do browse stuff like pencils, pens and mechanicalpencils, those still have the late 00s specific interest forum aura.

The issue about DAI's busywork is that it's effectively a 30, 40 hour game stretched into 150 hours territory. The busywork is THAT dense. At least with Radiant quests you're not forced to wait IRL hours until war table missions complete themselves.

Semiurge

Cipher
I feel conflicted. I genuinely liked Dragon Age Origins and settings but then, after years, it all started to feel like a weird shadenfreude soap drama. Like, if you once confessed to some school love and she rejected you, laughing, and then you are an adult with a loving family and stable income and from time to time see how your first love fares and she is a single fat mom with several mixed race kids and low-wage sweatshop job.
And now she is spamming social networks how she found her true love with potentially famous rapper Tyrone and he is totally gonna marry her because she is secretly pregnant. And on june 11 she will announe that to tyrone and all his friends. And you cannot stop monitoring how all this situation unfolds.

You forgot the pitbull with a bow on its head that looks like it's contemplating murder. And then it finally mauls one of the kids.

Semiurge

Cipher

View attachment 50661

Reddit has a near pathological obsession with being "nice" so it's not just that. Besides all subreddits for typical "nerd culture" interests are taken over by trans people now. I don't have an account there but I do browse stuff like pencils, pens and mechanicalpencils, those still have the late 00s specific interest forum aura.

None of those troons are real. They're either bots or slit-eyed agents of poo bear.

Dishonoredbr

Erudite
The description for Veilguard really tells how much the series changed.

Origins and 2 had all this focus on politics , disputes between races , mage snd templars and resolving old grudges.

Then Veilguard is all about forming your little group to fight Evil. Bioware knows that they can't write a satisfactory conclusion to ANY of the major conflicts, see Templar-Mage civil war , so they're going for the Mass Effect 2 route and bank of all their chips on companions being well liked.

Oberon

Learned
7 unique companions with "deep and compelling storylines"

this companion meta is so annoying

gameplay always suffers
seriously after playing baldurs gate 3 and pathfinder kingmaker back to back, I never want companions again.
With companions less is more. I still remember with fondness characters like Yoshimo, Nalia, Oku, Gann etc. They responded to the world and your actions, had personality, but they weren't fucking annoying overdone super speshul OC Sanics like you get these days.

Admittedly it also has to do with the fact that they are being written by Twitter brained, Marvel and YA obsessed faggots so that doesn't help.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Origins and 2 had all this focus on politics , disputes between races , mage snd templars and resolving old grudges.
Dragon Age 2 was about Racism and Muh Class Struggle. Origins was about OMG THE DARKSPAWN ARE COMING WE ARE GOING TO FUCKING DIE HOLY SHIT PLEASE KILL ME

Gaider killed the plot of Dragon Age with the very first DLC. He created the 'smart darkspawn' who gave them back their 'free will' (nightmare monsters birthed from horrors beyond mortal ken) who apparently then decided to do arts and crafts underground and stop attacking humans, then ended all the blights. So we could have *class struggle*.

These games are the most aborted down syndrome fetus of a series ever made, alongside Mass Effect. Lesser writers inheriting highly detailed lore, worlds, plots, and themes and throwing it all away because they can only see the world through a very tiny and boring lens.

9ted6

Educated
The darkspawn designs were already getting shit on in Awakening too.
Hurlock_new.jpg
The_Withered.png

I feel conflicted. I genuinely liked Dragon Age Origins and settings but then, after years, it all started to feel like a weird shadenfreude soap drama. Like, if you once confessed to some school love and she rejected you, laughing, and then you are an adult with a loving family and stable income and from time to time see how your first love fares and she is a single fat mom with several mixed race kids and low-wage sweatshop job.
And now she is spamming social networks how she found her true love with potentially famous rapper Tyrone and he is totally gonna marry her because she is secretly pregnant. And on june 11 she will announe that to tyrone and all his friends. And you cannot stop monitoring how all this situation unfolds.
Dragon Age is one of those things I've come to accept I just don't like anymore and in hindsight was never particularly enthusiastic about. I think looking at all the codex entries made me make up a better world in my head than what Bioware was actually doing.

that darkspawn you point out is a character in the expansion, so it makes sense they single him out by giving him a singular appearance.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
that darkspawn you point out is a character in the expansion, so it makes sense they single him out by giving him a singular appearance.

The entire point of that expansion was to abort the greater darkspawn plot so Gaider could replace it with a self-insert fan fic about a gay wizard blowing up religion. They also threw away Morrigan's demon child story to boot (they eventually tried to salvage it for Inquisition but was way too late by that point.)

Baron Tahn

Scholar
7 unique companions with "deep and compelling storylines"

this companion meta is so annoying

gameplay always suffers
seriously after playing baldurs gate 3 and pathfinder kingmaker back to back, I never want companions again.
Haha. Yes. I used to think I liked companions but then I realised what I like is party based rpgs when they dont speak like M&M, or immersive sim rpgs like Arx that are solo. Goes to show how good I find the writing I guess.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
companions were always a second tier gameplay feature

today they are central, because the industry believes games should be movies for lonely incels

Last edited:

Xorazm

Cipher
Does anyone follow whatever passes for lore in these games and can say whether or not they're anywhere near consistent?

As was previously noted, first you were Grey Wardens, then that got thrown aside for a sidequest game in which the first game was best background noise, then that got thrown aside so you could be the Inquisition, now your Heroic Band is the Veilguard?

I don't care enough to keep it straight. Do the Grey Wardens even matter anymore? I wouldn't miss the "yes a child named this" Darkspawn, but ... are they even still around? I couldn't care less about the Villain of Inquisition before I bailed so I have no idea how - or if - he tied into anything previously.

Bioware games are notorious for their retcons but you could pick up any Mass Effect game and go "yep, Mass Effect." Dragon Age just seems to veer so rapidly and trend-whore so bad I wouldn't be surprised if the next entry is a Genshin clone, and it certainly gives the impression that their "lore" are messy attempts at duct-taping it all together.

Gargaune

Arcane
Do the Grey Wardens even matter anymore? I wouldn't miss the "yes a child named this" Darkspawn, but ... are they even still around?
"Grey Wardens" is no better. "Oh, you see, they're like, protectors and shit, so they're wardeeens, and they're totally unaligned beyond their purpose so, like, that's what the grey symboliseeeeees..." Dumb, insipid name. At least "darkspawn" is something that common folk might collectively come up with, but "Grey Wardens" sucks as both an official title and an unofficial moniker, unless they constantly wear grey uniforms or some crap.

Peachcurl

Cipher
Do the Grey Wardens even matter anymore? I wouldn't miss the "yes a child named this" Darkspawn, but ... are they even still around?
"Grey Wardens" is no better. "Oh, you see, they're like, protectors and shit, so they're wardeeens, and they're totally unaligned beyond their purpose so, like, that's what the grey symboliseeeeees..." Dumb, insipid name. At least "darkspawn" is something that common folk might collectively come up with, but "Grey Wardens" sucks as both an official title and an unofficial moniker, unless they constantly wear grey uniforms or some crap.
Grey symbolizing an "unaligned" faction is a pretty old trope.

La vie sexuelle

Learned
I wonder why his tweets are protected. Maybe the game's name change has something to do with his ouster?
He reportedly was removed during 2023 layoffs.

Are you sure? I thought he was the one who stayed in the band.
Flemeth was especially jarring. With qunari, I could sort of suspend my disbelief, because at least they acted sort of like what Sten described them as, but Flemeth looked and acted like a different person.

According to Gaider those two models (Qunari and Flementh) were designed during Origins days, but they ran out of time/money to finish them. So when they started working on DA2 decided to use them or make it "like the Klingon thing" to quote him. And that "those models are so cool nobody will care"

He said as much in one of the long form Dragon Age retrospectives he decided to do an interview for.

So, Flemeth in Origins hasn't boob-window for budget reasons?

Yup, if they had their way, boobed window "GILF" (those sick fucks) Flemeth would be in Origins.

I think Gaider is manipulative as usual because he doesn't say everything. Even if they had some ideas for GILF Flemeth, they ended up redesigning her into the form we know. This means that they didn't just throw in fragmentary material into the game, but they change entire vision of this character and her role in the Morrigan storyline.

I dare say that Bioware didn't really know what game Origins would be and its final form is relatively consistent only by chance.

Dragon Age: Dreadwolf transitioned to Veilguard.
piFmybb.png
I don't think that person even works there anymore. Get new memes. There's plenty of Bioware gays on Twitter to choose from.
Looks like I'm wrong and Andrew Busche is still the game director of Dreadwolf Veilguard.
dqMKTMw.png

Now I noticed this beautiful story that starts with the meaningful sentence "My girlfriend, who is also trans..." and ends with them calling them by their real names :D

He has to struggle with himself every day. I assume we'll get a lot of this pain in the game (not that I feel sorry for him or want to buy that crap....).

There goes my dragon age : deadwolf joke if this ever released. Need to find a new pun.
Failguard

On retardera they know us so well

s5twT1Y.jpeg

Pfft! They are so afraid of their mods that they can't even come up with a decent slur.

companions were always a second tier gameplay feature

today they are central, because the industry believes games should be movies for lonely incels

I know you're talking about story here, but remember that the original reason for putting companions in the game is gameplay. If I play a cleric, I need a knight for defense and a mage to cast offensive spells. This is definitely a top-notch thing in a class-based game.

Gargaune

Arcane
Grey symbolizing an "unaligned" faction is a pretty old trope.
That doesn't make it an interesting trope. Now if they'd been, fuck, I dunno, "The Poor Fellow-Wardens of Andraste and of the Temple of Bob" who wore all grey for the same symbolism and the peasantry started calling 'em "Grey Wardens" colloquially, okay, we could talk. But as it is, it's superficial and dull.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom