Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age: The Veilguard - coming Fall 2024

Gargaune

Arcane
You guys want to see BioWare get absolutely bodied in the comments, in Twitter of all places?
Don't have Twitter and Musk won't let us freeload anymore, please share highlights.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
I've said multiple times that the true consoomer DEI corporate slop enjoyers are millennials

No one enjoys it. The mythical woke audience doesn't exist. This caters to a small class of self-styled elite 'tastemakers' and no one else, who never buy the games in any case. Most gamers have just been putting up with it until now because complaining about it would literally get you fired from your job.

You guys want to see BioWare get absolutely bodied in the comments, in Twitter of all places?
Don't have Twitter and Musk won't let us freeload anymore, please share highlights.
Everyone is basically saying the trailer looks like Marvelized/Overwatchized crap. Some are trying to defend past trailers saying that they were silly too - they weren't. DAO's trailer was edge consummate and both 2's and Inquisition's were very serious. They are also blaming Bioware of trend chasing. And it's very apparent that they were making an Overwatch style game.

More importantly, Larian is being celebrated as the kings of the rpg genre.

I think the problem isn't that the character designed to look like "overwatch", but it directed... too uncannily similar to Overwatch?

Listen to the music and how the character being introduced. Unless they explained it as "the New Normal" post-Inquisition crisis, the tone is weird.

If it was a bit more serious, the overwatch-looking character design wouldn't be an issue.

So, it's combination of music, colorful font style and overall character introduction that directed like Overwatch/Hero Shooter character intro that make it look "Overwatch-y". I mean you can't tell me that Emmerich fella isn't Sander Cohen from Bioshock.

Hopefully the gameplay would rectify this.

ps. Harding makin me harden.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Also, this is a pretty old trend, but I really do hate the idea of introducing almost all if not all joinable npcs pre release. So, garbage.

l0l @5:18 in the above video. WTF WAS THAT?

And, when are modern game devs gonna get it. Even modern audiences tainted by sjwnesss love 'fuckable' characters even in retrartet bear form. HOLY FUKK NUTZ.

Harding was a popular character despite her relatively small role in DA3 because she was 'cute'... BIO thinks 'cute' = 1000s of freckles. LMAO

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
When the studio burns to the ground (after this flop) and PapEA delivers the mercy shot I honestly would love to see a retrospective on the whole studio, where and how it all went wrong.

Whether you think their game is good or not, up until DAO and/or Mass Effect, the studio is essentially what constitutes "mainstream Western RPG" and a lot of elements that we still have today are popularized by Bioware (narrative companions, romance, heck dialogue wheel altho it fell out of favour these days). While games like Fallout probably did modern dialogue tree and "C&C" first and best, Bioware is basically the one that carried the torch to the modern era. Even today Larian, arguably the market leader of modern CRPG is building their formula on top of Bioware's.

Then around the time of DA2, it all went down the hill. You can arguably say that Mass Effect 2 was a return to form of sort: it's popamole but a competently made game. But after that, Bioware never really recovers.

The coup de grace is Bioware finally showing the game that should be their return to form after Andromeda and Anthem... just to get universally panned as they are making garbage tier Fortnite art RPG.

Maybe/definitely it was the EA acquisition, but big corpo in general has low tolerance of failure. How did it happen behind the office door to leave Bioware (which before their Andromeda Anthe flop is basically the studio name for RPGs) being manned by such clowns?

up until DAO and/or Mass Effect
They've been bad since Baldur's Gate 1.

DAO is logical conclusion of less RPG and binary design "RPG" they're having since BG1. Mass Effect is that idea "idealize" without restriction of being a "True RPG".

EA didn't make them bad, they're already declining since inception.

I think nobody here are going to defend Baldur's Gate 2 and its binary choices and 3 builds that are basically Thief (Rogue), Wizard and Fighter 18/00 (Warrior).

What I am saying is: They never been an "RPG Making company", they are "A goody story game maker company".

That being said Veilguard will defend itself, art style might be weird but if the gameplay and story are good it will still sells.

When the studio burns to the ground (after this flop) and PapEA delivers the mercy shot I honestly would love to see a retrospective on the whole studio, where and how it all went wrong.

Whether you think their game is good or not, up until DAO and/or Mass Effect, the studio is essentially what constitutes "mainstream Western RPG" and a lot of elements that we still have today are popularized by Bioware (narrative companions, romance, heck dialogue wheel altho it fell out of favour these days). While games like Fallout probably did modern dialogue tree and "C&C" first and best, Bioware is basically the one that carried the torch to the modern era. Even today Larian, arguably the market leader of modern CRPG is building their formula on top of Bioware's.

Then around the time of DA2, it all went down the hill. You can arguably say that Mass Effect 2 was a return to form of sort: it's popamole but a competently made game. But after that, Bioware never really recovers.

The coup de grace is Bioware finally showing the game that should be their return to form after Andromeda and Anthem... just to get universally panned as they are making garbage tier Fortnite art RPG.

Maybe/definitely it was the EA acquisition, but big corpo in general has low tolerance of failure. How did it happen behind the office door to leave Bioware (which before their Andromeda Anthe flop is basically the studio name for RPGs) being manned by such clowns?
It's a conjunction of factors. Bioware struck gold with Baldur's Gate. Same with KOTOR. They were basically THE rpg company for many, and became even bigger with their own IPs. EA gave Bioware relative freedom to do whatever they wanted within certain limits, so most of the issues Bioware had with their stuff was mostly a product of their own mismanagement. Kind of what happened with DAO. It took them twice as long to make vs ME1 but ME1 moved the same amount of units and it gave them the strength they needed in the console front. What happened , I think, is that Bioware lost its talent, and also they didn't knew how to adapt to the modern trends. The kickstarter boom had devs releasing games made in the style of old Bioware rpgs and yet getting more recognition than their own, ironically. The Witcher, as I think I've said before, also sent a dagger through their heart by actually being a "dark, mature rpg" without the gigglesquee marvelite bullshit. Bioware has nothing left of value to contribute to the rpg landscape of today.

Larianshill

Arbiter
KGal4DP.png

xgr87cT.png

hbYNWSK.png

What the fuck is wrong with Biodrones? This is not a rhetorical question.

Elttharion

Learned
Redditors are gushing over this pic but it still looks shitty to me

1psx665cwm5d1.jpeg

There is a dude there saying he played the game as a tester, some of his comments:
I think it's more fun combat wise, but the thing is I was never a technical player, so for people who are, it might be much worse. They're trying to aim for the general audience this time around ( :lol: :lol:) , it plays like the majority of action games that have come out in the past 5-10 years.
But story wise it's really par for the course, not discernable better or worse. I personally dislike the dialogue, it's too modern. It's the marvel thing that's happened to everything now. Everyone is a mini-varric, just non stop quips and sarcasm.

As for the graphics, people are mistaken. Idk if the trailer was made specifically for the conference or what, but the actual game does not look like that when you're playing. It's way more photorealistic than what the trailer suggests.
I will say though, most of the threads in the first week the game comes out will be about the tone. Well the tone and the gameplay. Because you'll see tomorrow, but what I mean by that, is that this is 100% real
I've played it. The trailer is astronomically more indicative of the tone of the dialogue than this picture. It wasn't a "mistake", it wasn't a "marketing decision"
I've played it, and unless they rerecorded the majority of the dialogue in a relatively short amount of time, don't get your hopes up. Graphically though you might be right, as the trailer wasn't stylistically indicative of what I played.
Not sure if he is lying tho

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron

Dragon Age: The Veilguard Will Bring Back DAII’s Divisive Approach To Romance​

TLRD: Playersexual characters
Kotaku pretending to be surprised that Bioware would imitate BG3's romance design, after BG3 sold tens of millions of units on the strength of companion romances and viral bear marketing.

GUYS HEY GUYS I THINK IT IS AN APPROPRIATE TIME TO REVIEW OUT STANCE ON DRAGON AGE INQUISITION AS A CLASSIC UNDEAPPRECIATED MASTERPIECE GUYS I A MSERIOUS IT ALL LOOK SO PRETTY NOW
Nope DAI is still crap.
DAO has no sequels. DAO need no "modern" sequels!
dao was not even good
One day the Codex will be prepared to accept that Bioware has been decline since Baldur's Gate. :M

jf8350143

Liturgist
Isn't there report earlier mentioned they were going to make this an GAAS online game but ditch the idea and change it into a single player later?

That would exlplain why the tone is so comedic and why the characters feels like they are from Fort Night and Overwatch(Except Overwatch actually has attractive characters).

Herumor

Scholar
The only good thing about the trailer video is the comments section.

"Game engine footage. Not all images appear in game." ... Promise?

Can we play as the bad guys, so we can kill everything this trailer is showing ?

What are we some kind of dragon suicide squad?

"And so is the Golden City blackened with each step you take into my hall.Marvel at perfection, for it is fleeting.You have brought Sin to Heaven and doom upon all the world."

I love the moment in the climax of Act 2, when Solas is parting the Veil and the protagonist gets a cocky smirk on his face and says, "Oh yeah, it's Veilguardin' time," and then proceeds to veilguard all over the Dragons. I nearly Veilguarded in my pants.

Went from Dragon Age to Imagine Dragons.

Branding my forehead with lyrium so I don't have to feel this anymore.

scytheavatar

Scholar
Wait, what? Dreadwolf is now Veilguard?

TBH, I wondered why the fuck EA would allow BioWare to downgrade their game names easily. Now it seems to me that EA could have been the ones who asked for a name change cause Dreadwolf is way too serious sounding for the type of game they want to sell.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
I think they changed it because it sounds too much like Dickwolf and either some "sensitivity reading" company they hired or someone at Bioware told everyone that it was a very important controversy they absolutely need to distance themselves from.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom