Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age: The Veilguard - coming October 31st

jf8350143

Liturgist
Why dwarves are cool in most settings: they're little fucking manlets that are always the buttmonkey of their setting, but they man up, grow some beards, drink some beer, and hack off the legs of all their enemies.

Look at dwarves in LoTR, Warhammer, and DA: they constantly get shat on but they get the fuck over it and adapt.

Why elves are lame as shit in most settings: they're usually the oldest race, the strongest magic users, have elf privilege, and still quickly declining to the point where they're basically on the way out or enslaved. Or just weird sex freaks.

They've been reduced to a big tiddy elf waifu/slave meme.
Come to think of it, with all those woke shit going on at the moment I'm surprised we have not seen a female dwarf companion with large beard in any of the games yet.

Baron Tahn

Scholar
But lady dwarf would be hilarious because it's a great nod to a Pratchett joke (someone asks why they never see any dwarf women and the dwarf gets defensive and say you do but they have beards and you can't tell).
Starfield is without a doubt an expensive game to produce, I will be surprised if it cost anything less than 300M to make. "Millions" of sales tells us nothing about whether or not the game is profitable.

The ultimate metric for measuring the game's success is the $7.5 billion Microsoft paid for Bethesda, which all of Bethesda's games need to go towards paying for. And so far Starfield looks far from being a game worth 1B in revenue.
No, that's the ultimate metric for the company, including Skyrim rehashes, next Elder Scrolls etc etc etc. Taken alone (and I dont know for certain cos who give a fuck to do the market research for free) it would be interesting to see if Starfield broke even. Certainly what Microsoft paid is a prediction for its potential - that they even paid that much for future prospects should indicate that Bethesda does quite well for itself (and I'm even including 76 with this, which we all know was shit, but who knows how much the whales poured into that cash shop).

Ed: Oh, and the next Fallout which I assume is on the cards again because of the show. It's future stuff anyway not just Starfield that dictated that price tag.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
If you don't romance characters in Dragon Age: The Veilguard, they'll find other partners for themselves
"In Dragon Age games, BioWare games, romance is a core part," Epler said. "We wanted to give each character their own flavour, or their own style, of romance. So some characters may be a little more steamy while some characters maybe a little bit more innocent. But for each one, you can build these relationships.
:shredder:

Dragon Age: The Veilguard is impressive, beautiful, and will inevitably split opinion
I guess this game is releasing at a weird time. Dragon Age Origins was released as a spiritual successor to games like Neverwinter Nights and, yep, Baldur’s Gate. But over the years, it transformed dramatically from a Captial C ‘CRPG’ to a small ‘cRPG’, so to speak - pursuing more action-based combat and streamlining a lot of choices to make an accessible adventure.
:hmmm:

Last edited:

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Come to think of it, with all those woke shit going on at the moment I'm surprised we have not seen a female dwarf companion with large beard in any of the games yet.
The only female dwarf party member I can think of recently was Sagani from PoE, but she had no beard and PoE's races weren't 100% equivalent to generic fantasy.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In

SmoothPimp

Augur
With a modern AAA budgets in hundreds millions, million copies is a certifiable, studio-closing flop.
Game with budget of 200 millions has to sell 4 million copies priced 70$ just to break even, if you are generous and assume stores will take only 10-15%.
And money came without interest - which it doesn't.
Realistically, in this case everything below 5 million copies is a flop.

It is the same thing with AAA games and Disney's overinflated blockbusters that need half a billion just to break even.
Most of these games and movies are destined to be flops.
Don't look like anything close to $200M. Production values more akin to Lords of the Fallen ($66M). Given higher US/Canadian salaries (I understand, that they outsourced most of tasks to companies and freelancers outside of "first world" countries, but still they have a great chunk of people, who work in USA/Canada, especially in management) I'd say $80-100M. It's EA in-house project, they have tons of games simultaneously in development, so they don't use to fund behemoths budgets. Previous installment was 10 years ago and didn't exactly made people to inpatiently wait for sequel, so I'm sure risk-limiting approach.

Steam takes 30% AFAIR, EA have their own store and as for physical sales it's up to wholesale prices of retailers, retail price could be 2-3 times higher than wholesale. And taking into account, that a big piece of expenses were already covered from another revenue streams, and loans were refinanced. No bank would expect, that his loan, taken for salaries in 2020, would be returned in late 2024 at best. And regional prices, though the difference tend to be less and less.

Long story short: there's a rough estimate of sales, that would be enough to bury exact numbers in complex financial affairs of EA and present it to shareholders like: "DAtV didn't match our optimistic expectations, but steady revenue stream allowed to support financial stability and solidified our market capitalization with further development of our most valued IP blah-blah-blah"

Fargus

Arcane
Who even gives a fuck about Dragon Age anymore?
Reading this topic - apparently half of the Codex. Disgusting...

Not in the way you think. We here to laugh and ridicule this game. Although there are some here probably excited for this trash. I just want to see it fail.

If you don't romance characters in Dragon Age: The Veilguard, they'll find other partners for themselves
"In Dragon Age games, BioWare games, romance is a core part," Epler said. "We wanted to give each character their own flavour, or their own style, of romance. So some characters may be a little more steamy while some characters maybe a little bit more innocent. But for each one, you can build these relationships.
:shredder:

Dragon Age: The Veilguard is impressive, beautiful, and will inevitably split opinion
I guess this game is releasing at a weird time. Dragon Age Origins was released as a spiritual successor to games like Neverwinter Nights and, yep, Baldur’s Gate. But over the years, it transformed dramatically from a Captial C ‘CRPG’ to a small ‘cRPG’, so to speak - pursuing more action-based combat and streamlining a lot of choices to make an accessible adventure.
:hmmm:

I remember something like this in Faggot Age 2. Some characters would hook up with each other if you don't romance any of them, but it was just flavor dialogue.

Reinhardt

Arcane
BG3 had one update where they claimed this and then immediately backtracked on it.

Not sure if it was a misunderstanding, a dropped feature, or if the fan backlash at the time made them reverse course.

Regardless, as predicted, it seems like the lesson that Bioware learned from Baldur's Gate 3 was that maximum degeneracy sells.
they missed most important thing - most popular romance was semi-attractive shadowheart. do you see anyone even on that level in the list of da4 companions?

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
they missed most important thing - most popular romance was semi-attractive shadowheart. do you see anyone even on that level in the list of da4 companions?
Gay bear sex and a gay, snarky vampire were far more prominent in the marketing.

Besides, you can't clone a game 1:1. You're bound to change a few minor details between the two. :M

S.H.O.D.A.N.

Learned
BG3 had one update where they claimed this and then immediately backtracked on it.

Not sure if it was a misunderstanding, a dropped feature, or if the fan backlash at the time made them reverse course.

In an abstract, this is sound c&c - commit to something, or see it slip away. But I don't think people who get invested in this type of content care about c&c at all, they just want their pixel waifu, without having to worry about the game cuckolding them.

SmoothPimp

Augur
But lady dwarf would be hilarious because it's a great nod to a Pratchett joke (someone asks why they never see any dwarf women and the dwarf gets defensive and say you do but they have beards and you can't tell).
You think CURRENT YEAR devs know what a book is? Much less a Pratchett?
They know, they just judge them by their standards: sexism, racism, homophobia etc. Fantasy, books and printsf subreddits.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
In an abstract, this is sound c&c - commit to something, or see it slip away. But I don't think people who get invested in this type of content care about c&c at all, they just want their pixel waifu, without having to worry about the game cuckolding them.
It's also bad storytelling and a habit of hack millennial writers to have everyone fuck in a story. As if fucking someone is an essential character trait that must be told for every character in every story.

This sort of perverse thinking leads to endless speculation on whether characters like Merry and Pippin are faggots, or having to have characters say lines just to establish that they aren't gay. Because it's weird that we see a character, but we don't see who he puts his dick into. Tumblr brain rot.

I could see this shit as being annoying and people will just choose not to bring certain characters to whatever romance interaction point to avoid fighting over them with someone the way players did by not taking Aerie and Haer'Dalis in BG2.

SmoothPimp

Augur
do you see anyone even on that level in the list of da4 companions?
Shadowheart has traditional feminine traits: insecurity, looking for protection and decision-making from another people, one of her ragdoll stature - her knees are closed and touching each other like a japanese schoolgirl in anime, again - unprotected, insecurity. Vincke knows his business well and most important - knows how to get away with it. No chance we'll have female companions with rich feminine features in DAtV.

Falksi

Arcane
I pirated Inquisition back in the day and still ended up feeling scammed by the faggotry, the ugly characters, the woke and the MMO-style filler quests.

But this...there's just nothing here to even entice me to even look at another trailer. It's a dead game from a franchise that's been riding on the fumes of the first lackluster game for 15 years.
I picked Inquisition up on X-Box 360 for £4 in a sale, and the hours of my life which it robbed from me made it feel as if I'd spent £2k on it.

It was literally just filler surrounding a cast of cunts who's main quest was to bum the player. Vile game.

Froila

Educated
Who even gives a fuck about Dragon Age anymore?
Reading this topic - apparently half of the Codex. Disgusting...
Because it's hilarious!

Former fans whimper and EA bot endorse are fun to read. Also the very idea of fortnite-clone with Alexis Kennedy writing (or he didn't work on this game?) is exciting, doesn't matter how it's called Dragon Age, or something else.

But remembering how people in 2000s believed Dragon Age was a harbinger of 'true' rpgs rebirth or something makes this situation a pure comedy.

Falksi

Arcane
Some of the shilling lol...

dqQFMOe.png

....love how Final Fantasy is now the go-to example for action games too :lol:

Froila

Educated
The only female dwarf party member I can think of recently was Sagani from PoE, but she had no beard and PoE's races weren't 100% equivalent to generic fantasy.
Even 'rings of power' she-dwarves didn't have beards.

Ibn Sina

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Gameplay video is almost at a 100k dislikes :) :) . I am not aware of any game that had this much dislike to like ratio on its promotional material that was successful. They flop hard.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom