Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age: The Veilguard - coming Fall 2024

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
These Shadow Dragons are obviously a group of beautiful, diverse, stunning and brave individuals who are fighting against the oppressive, white and cishet Tevinter magisters. However, I'm not opposed to seeing disabled characters because adventuring and fighting is *gasp* a dangerous activity that can leave you without a limb or two.

kapisi

Novice
Bioware should've made a spinoff series of DA visual novels/dating sims to capitalize on the audience they've attracted.

Let the gendermancers cook and eat in a separate kitchen and keep them away from whatever is left of the rpg. Could've been a win-win for everyone.

I want to date a dragon.
Honey, in this here Deeper Roads dlc to Lovers of Thedas you can date even a darkspawn!

Silverfish

Arbiter
FFS, it's (supposed to be) an RPG. Why would you care about romances?

Bioware didn't gatekeep and women and fags run the show. That shit isn't going anywhere. Enjoy your rpg (romantic procreation game).

What's the matter? Is Dragon Age not gay enough for you?

The average Dragon Age fan won't be happy until the gay stuff gets integrated into other aspects of the game, even during combat like the cock-slapping monsters from Shadow Hearts.

At least Veilguard seems to have an established artstyle. Even if everyone personally dislikes it and thinks it's too cartoony, at least it has it's own sense of style.

That's the one thing I've got to give to Veilguard. I've been replaying Origins and it's honestly impressive just how style-less everything is. Having any aesthetic, even if it's one I don't care for, is a huge step in the right direction.

codex.png

They say it's lonely at the top. And if you don't believe me, just ask the Jagged Alliance devs.

I want to date a dragon.

Mortal Kombat Deception has a lot to answer for.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Looking back on it, it seems most of the worldbuilding for this franchise was done by creating a problem that the writers feel need fixing. Control of mages, slavery in Tevinter, deadly political intrigue in Orlais, oppression of elves, etc. Each game tackles such a problem and fixes it from a modern perspective.
Origins was about making the best out of a bad situation with no easy choices. Like cynically sparing Loghain just to use him to eat the death knell from the archdemon.

Modern writers don't like sacrifice or consequences. All problems have to be solvable and there's no us or them scenarios. Everyone can be talked out of genocide and all conflicts can be resolved with love and understanding.

You can tell just from the team screenshot how these characters will act. They'll all be best friends, they'll all constantly validate each other, they'll all have the same exact goals and beliefs. Ironically the DEI crowd has erased diversity entirely, beyond the most superficial elements, every NPC os the same.

It's the same view of the world as my 4 year old.

9ted6

Educated
OG Bioware guys (Karpy, Gaider etc) weren't any better than the current crop. Back in a day I've attempted to read some of Karpyshyn's novels and that stuff was on the level of bad reddit fanfic post, it was laughably bad. I couldn't believe a publisher actually looked at the draft and thought 'yes that's the huge bestesller in the making".

It's just that in the old days the games were more inclined in general and superior gameplay would paper over the cracks in the script and worldbuilding.
This is the main reason I think all the DA and ME novels are so terrible. When you don't have gameplay, graphics and sound to distract you and the only thing you can pay attention to is the writing you quickly realize how bad it actually is.

Vatnik Wumao
This part, I am sure, will be implemented well.
The Shadow Dragons is a resistance group opposing corrupt rulers and slavery in Tevinter. Their mission is to help those in need and bring justice to the people
It's the Railroad all over again
Gotta have that cringeworthy power fantasy for the '''''''gendermancer''''''' audience. No alternatives if that's not appealing to you though, we can't have nuance in current year.

Lodis

Educated
Not impressed with Solas either. He was built up to be some major threat but he gets thwarted by a level 1 minority with a knife and some scaffolding.

Sòren

Arcane

At least Veilguard seems to have an established artstyle. Even if everyone personally dislikes it and thinks it's too cartoony, at least it has it's own sense of style.

That's the one thing I've got to give to Veilguard. I've been replaying Origins and it's honestly impressive just how style-less everything is. Having any aesthetic, even if it's one I don't care for, is a huge step in the right direction.

agreed. DAO wasn't a good game by any means, but if you point to point out the biggest flaw, it is that all of the environment was bland. nothing looks interesting here (nothing is as well, but you can at least try to maintain the illusion).

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Even Divinity:Dragon Commander?
Shit. I forgot about that one.
Imagine the jazz and ragtime soundtrack.
Fun Fact: MechaGodzilla's theme from the Showa Era is Big Band Jazz.. Because heavy metal hadn't been invented yet.
Kinda surprised nobody made a Lamplighter's League comparison
I still haven't gotten the Saints Row reboot comparisons out of my system, and that picture of Veilguard sure as Hell doesn't help. I can even picture the conversation in that room being about a $300 waffle maker and the evils of capitalism.

Froila

Educated
And what's interesting in this game is, if you don't romance characters, they may decide to find their own romances for themselves, whether within the team or within the world itself.
I have a cunning idea for future game designers: all party members develop relationships during the game, which culminate in a huge orgy after the final boss battle.
That wouldn't be a bad idea if the characters looked good. Nobody in their right mind wants to see these fat trolls engage in sex.

This will force designers to create not only politically correct characters who satisfy their "audience"'s senses of justice, but someones with a slight glint of sex appeal or some cuteness.

That's why i called this idea cunning!

Semiurge

Cipher
No save import, just tell the game what you did
Good, Dragon Age Keep was shit to begin with. Seriously, who thought that using an external program that requires an Internet connection to manage save data between games was a good idea?

Yeah there is absolutely no reason that feature couldn't have been included in the game itself. That was peak retard.

Even if DA and Mass Effect didn't do it perfectly, choices carrying over from game to game, including major ones, needs to make a comeback in rpgs

I think they said something about the average biofags being too tech-illiterate to manage the files themselves. Not with those exact words, though.

Soyboys and landwhales are terrified of guns so only have their fantasy to guide them.

tumblr-pv25lm-M4-KV1xlv8m3o1-540.gif

wait----is Rook the name of the PC???

Inb4 "you're just a piece in someone else's game" followed by some quip

Hawke, Rook... I'm noticing a pattern. Who's their next named PC, "Tit"?

La vie sexuelle

Learned
One thing makes me wonder - when the gameplay came out, all the websites I know, including the French ones, praised everything they saw in one word.

The question is - did EA pay them all earlier, or after the DAV trailer disaster did they go crazy and pay journalists from every portal they knew?

Vatnik Wumao
One thing makes me wonder - when the gameplay came out, all the websites I know, including the French ones, praised everything they saw in one word.

The question is - did EA pay them all earlier, or after the DAV trailer disaster did they go crazy and pay journalists from every portal they knew?
Outside of targeted shilling, they don't even have to pay them since journos know that if they report on such things negatively then they won't be getting free review copies, early access and the like anymore.

Frozen

Arcane

Journos are scum with no morals, and all should be shot and hanged in public so honest people could cheer.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom