Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age: The Veilguard - coming Fall 2024

Oberon

Learned
I am not surprised by the fact that they are paid. I just wondered whether the trailer failure activated this propaganda machine to a greater extent than usual.

I'm just interested in the scale of the operation called Dragon Age Veilguard. Not only the amount of money spent, but also human commitment, work organization, but also the dedication of useful idiots. I have the impression that we are facing something gigantic, and at the same time based on psychosis. Because only psychosis can we call an irrational belief in the power of a brand that moves such great human forces. Ours too.

These multimillion dollar DEI brands are too big to fail, and their significance borderlines on the symbolic. Especially to the "fans" committed to their values.

There are some signs that we are past peak DEI/ESG though. BlackRock seems to move away from it since “forcing behaviour” as their plan was doesn’t actually seem to work, despite them trying for more than 10 years now. You can only finance so many multi billion dollar failures and the number of entertainment franchises (games, movies, series, etc) still untouched and ready to be infected and destroyed is dwindling. It’s just not a very good money making scheme, which is BlackRocks core business. So those DEI funds companies rely on may dry up soon (ish), which will force companies to make products for regular customers instead of their DEI overlords. Of course this could be just wishful thinking.
e9c5f6cb4dff32924a8f2f32dedad751-imagejpeg.jpg

Froila

Educated

*edit* he's making the same mistake as GoT fans: thinking there's a plan. Epic fantasy is a bad sub-genre. It's always teasing the next big setup, the next big reveal, and never pays off. No one can do it. There's never any real continuity except between when the game starts and when it ends (and even then...!) Take what you want out of a game and move on. Never expect more, because you'll make yourself a sucker.
This could be said about any other genre or IP, like Fallout. :smug:

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I'm going to say it.

Dragon Age should just have had a demon invasion on each game until it was the final archdemon.

This seems like an overused trope, but it is a trope for one reason : it works in video games. And it has been labelled such an overused trope it is hardly used anymore because it feels dumb. But it's not dumb. If you are of dubious morality and have immense power at your disposal, you invade . For no other reason that you can. Look at world history.

People watched GoT for the political drama but the real questions everyone was wondering was when the White Walkers would attack.

And if it feels repetitive, change the way it unfolds, change the part in the world, change the characters, change what's at stake. You can do a lot with such a simple preset.

Instead they went with political stories, treacheries, hidden agendas, etc etc but it doesn't work. They write convoluted shit that is dumb and fail to involve.

Bring back the demon invasions if you want to save D.A

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I am not surprised by the fact that they are paid. I just wondered whether the trailer failure activated this propaganda machine to a greater extent than usual.

I'm just interested in the scale of the operation called Dragon Age Veilguard. Not only the amount of money spent, but also human commitment, work organization, but also the dedication of useful idiots. I have the impression that we are facing something gigantic, and at the same time based on psychosis. Because only psychosis can we call an irrational belief in the power of a brand that moves such great human forces. Ours too.

These multimillion dollar DEI brands are too big to fail, and their significance borderlines on the symbolic. Especially to the "fans" committed to their values.

There are some signs that we are past peak DEI/ESG though. BlackRock seems to move away from it since “forcing behaviour” as their plan was doesn’t actually seem to work, despite them trying for more than 10 years now. You can only finance so many multi billion dollar failures and the number of entertainment franchises (games, movies, series, etc) still untouched and ready to be infected and destroyed is dwindling. It’s just not a very good money making scheme, which is BlackRocks core business. So those DEI funds companies rely on may dry up soon (ish), which will force companies to make products for regular customers instead of their DEI overlords. Of course this could be just wishful thinking.

It's a tricky one, because one thinks there has to be a limit somewhere. Even if you think of elite Jews who are "willing to take one for the team," even that's bound to clash with their acquisitiveness at some point of attrition.

But I don't think we've reached anywhere near the limit yet. The purpose of BlackRock, etc., is for Jewish elites' social engineering, the business side of it is in service to that, and they'll keep going and keep pushing DEI till they can't do it any more.

It's really only when they finally realize they were sold a pup by their academic fellow travellers in the early 20th century, in terms of the power of social conditioning, that they'll give up. Older and wiser heads always knew it was mainly about "blood," that genetics are primary and immediate environment secondary, for most traits, but in the multiple ball juggling that went on in the 20th century, I think Jewish elites came to drink their own Kool Aid with the social conditioning idea (which had initially only been meant to steer the goyim away from racial solidarity and exaggerate the natural goy inclination to moral universalism).

So yeah, most of the bs will eventually fall into disuse once they realize it's fruitless. Then they'll regroup and go for genetic engineering, so that's the thing to watch out for maybe a few decades from now.

huskarls

Scholar
dragon age 4, witcher 3, mass effect 3, fallout 5, skyrim 2, modern warfare 6, dark souls 5, d:os 3

I get the risk aversion for game and movies, but why does it have to be bad? is it the corporate environment that makes the head director a moron and the poor capitalist have to throw money at this retard

TheKing01

Literate

Is that Chris Paul?

Turn_BASED

Educated

Is that Chris Paul?
“Hello my name is Chris Paul, and today I’m here to talk to you about diversity after playing on several NBA teams that were 99% other niggas”

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm going to say it.

Dragon Age should just have had a demon invasion on each game until it was the final archdemon.

This seems like an overused trope, but it is a trope for one reason : it works in video games. And it has been labelled such an overused trope it is hardly used anymore because it feels dumb. But it's not dumb. If you are of dubious morality and have immense power at your disposal, you invade . For no other reason that you can. Look at world history.

People watched GoT for the political drama but the real questions everyone was wondering was when the White Walkers would attack.

And if it feels repetitive, change the way it unfolds, change the part in the world, change the characters, change what's at stake. You can do a lot with such a simple preset.

Instead they went with political stories, treacheries, hidden agendas, etc etc but it doesn't work. They write convoluted shit that is dumb and fail to involve.

This is why Gold Box, Wizardry, M&M was so effective...nothing more than evil for the lulz and powa and that's all you need as a setup if the actual, you know, GAME mechanics are sound and the combat loop is satisfying. This shit isn't highbrow existential rumination on 'what is a man?' (though as we know, there is space for that in specific one off examples), it's magic and swords and demons and shit. What's there to overthink? Make a game fun to play, good tactical combat options, and then just tack on a scenario where you do shit in order to beat the big meanie at the end. The basic illogicality of fantasy doesn't lend itself to making it too cerebral or in depth as the contradictions of the world become more obvious (simple example is resurrection for your party while everyone else just dies forever) and are much more immersion breaking.

Baron Tahn

Scholar
To be fair M&M was off the wall with its scifi backstory with all of the habitats and invading aliens/underground vaults/precursors stuff. I WISH Dragon Age had stuff like that in it!

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Looking back on it, it seems most of the worldbuilding for this franchise was done by creating a problem that the writers feel need fixing. Control of mages, slavery in Tevinter, deadly political intrigue in Orlais, oppression of elves, etc. Each game tackles such a problem and fixes it from a modern perspective.
None of these have been fixed in any of the games so far though.
Unlike say Mass Effect 3, in which commander Shepard dismantles every setting defining issue on a whim, to the point where nothing remains.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
It could just be that the shills are defending their paychecks.

If a company paid you $50,000 to say something was great, you'd want that money to keep coming. They wouldn't even have to tell you to defend it.
That JuiceHead guy on YouTube just did a Fallout 76 video about their upcoming expansion for that game where he talks about Bethesda flying him over to London to play test it.
To be fair M&M was off the wall with its scifi backstory
Ultima also did this early on. Lands of Lore also. Oh, and more recently, Sacred.

Cael

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
I'm going to say it.

This is why Gold Box, Wizardry, M&M was so effective...nothing more than evil for the lulz and powa and that's all you need as a setup if the actual, you know, GAME mechanics are sound and the combat loop is satisfying. This shit isn't highbrow existential rumination on 'what is a man?' (though as we know, there is space for that in specific one off examples), it's magic and swords and demons and shit. What's there to overthink? Make a game fun to play, good tactical combat options, and then just tack on a scenario where you do shit in order to beat the big meanie at the end. The basic illogicality of fantasy doesn't lend itself to making it too cerebral or in depth as the contradictions of the world become more obvious (simple example is resurrection for your party while everyone else just dies forever) and are much more immersion breaking.
It is the same reason Temple of Elemental Evil (3.5) and Icewind Dale is so popular.

Reinhardt

Arcane
you can even have demon invasion in local totally not-africa if you really want that diversity that much. and it would be much better and more interesting than nigger knights and nigger samurais.

Tytus

Arcane
I'm going to say it.

It seems you are getting what you wanted 2 for the price of 1 in the next game.
Since Solas released the last two Archdemons (which are actually Elven Gods too)

9ted6

Educated

Cucktivision said:
diverse teams outperform homogenous teams, inclusive organizations collaborate better
I agree. Games used to be pretty good when teams weren't forced to behave the same, live in the same places, share the exact same beliefs and universally scorn and exclude straight white men and women or conservative nonwhites.

Last edited:

Child of Malkav

Erudite
I'm going to say it.

The only correct answer. GG.

9ted6

Educated
you can even have demon invasion in local totally not-africa if you really want that diversity that much.
View attachment 51025
It's like instead of making a notAfrica fantasy world so they can have nothing but black people they want to take a European setting which realistically wouldn't have the same conditions or genetics present that lead to different races developing naturally and make random people random races, especially black, out of some kind of petty spite.

No one would complain about a game set in Africa with black people but instead they unironically culturally appropriate and want to have black people commonly living in pre-Roman Britain and shit. Point out how it's neither historically accurate nor genetically feasible and you're a racist.

I also like that besides Solas the oppressive god every elf in DA is now black or Asian.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom