Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age: The Veilguard - coming October 31st

Dishonoredbr

Erudite
Oh my bad , the characters that people really liked before were.. not done on purpose. The new ones are for real, on god, done intentionally
20240719-082917.jpg

Source: https://www.pcgamer.com/games/drago...flow&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com

La vie sexuelle

Learned
God I hate these troglodytes,
hgRqRN6.png

GamesRadar+ article.

In the discussion about Bioware, or perhaps our favorite industry in general, too much space is devoted to ideology and politics, as if we were talking about people who have some views beyond Twitter slogans, and not enough about what weak pussies they are. We've gotten used to their baby faces and screams, but this isn't normal. They are not woke because they have read Gramsci, they like woke because the simplest challenges in life terrify them.

In other words, even something as mildly morally challenging and macabre as DA:O's Blood Magic is too much for them. They want to run around the meadows with a rainbow flag in their hands. And this is not hyperbole:

It's weird that Bioware holds this cringe up as a hopeful religious group bonding moment they're proud of when they've spent the last two games and half a dozen terrible books shitting on, invalidating and subverting every single religion in the setting and making every religious character look like suckers and fools. Or in Leliana's case making them pragmatic atheists.

I'm was wondering about this too. Ultimately, I came to the conclusion that the fact that they put a Powerful Black Woman in charge of Chantry paradoxically forced them to treat her differently. If I remember correctly, she was some sort of well of feminine wisdom or something.

Andraste reincarnated, like a black Jesus. There would be a high threshold for making her look like a fool.

Or it could still be that since the writers are probably all atheist, they can't help but to inject their own doubt and desire to tear down all institutions of organised religion. It comes naturally. Only the "emergent" religiosity is acceptable, if it creates social bonds between groups that would otherwise be indifferent or hostile towards one another. Humanism that rejects institutions.

I think all the meaningful religion stuff in Inquisition was purely a result of continuing DA:O, which had an ambiguous and relatively consistent setting.

If I were to make predictions for Veilguard in this respect, I would say that the thread of religion other than the elves and Solas will be absent from it. With Chantry, the last thing that ties modern Dragon Age to the first game will disappear, which is desired by current developers.

Oh my bad , the characters that people really liked before were.. not done on purpose. The new ones are for real, on god, done intentionally
20240719-082917.jpg

Source: https://www.pcgamer.com/games/drago...flow&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com

This statement shows both uncertainty towards Larian and a lack of understanding of the real reasons for their success.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
This statement shows both uncertainty towards Larian and a lack of understanding of the real reasons for their success.

On the flip side, I would say this shows a lot of self-knowledge. Modern BioWare knows they're a ship of theseus helmed by incompetents. They make no play to rivaling BG3 because they know they'd be cooked.

So they're settling for "managing expectations" and playing to the only audience they have: shippers who only want to make fanfiction about their super cool OC interacting with these super cool new characters.

BG3 cast fear, RPG devs are now frightened. :-D

MjKorz

Educated
So they're settling for "managing expectations" and playing to the only audience they have: shippers who only want to make fanfiction about their super cool OC interacting with these super cool new characters.
Sounds like Bioware has the BG3 audience by the balls.

Yosharian

Arcane
It really is impressive how they are making the act of sawing my nuts off look preferable to playing this, kudos

Throwing in a laughably dishonest reference to DA:O at the start was chef's kiss

9ted6

Educated
More cringe,

Just like Dragon Age itself, Busche looks like a completely different person every time he shows up.
hgRqRN6.png

GamesRadar+ article.

In the discussion about Bioware, or perhaps our favorite industry in general, too much space is devoted to ideology and politics, as if we were talking about people who have some views beyond Twitter slogans, and not enough about what weak pussies they are. We've gotten used to their baby faces and screams, but this isn't normal. They are not woke because they have read Gramsci, they like woke because the simplest challenges in life terrify them.

In other words, even something as mildly morally challenging and macabre as DA:O's Blood Magic is too much for them. They want to run around the meadows with a rainbow flag in their hands. And this is not hyperbole:

It's weird that Bioware holds this cringe up as a hopeful religious group bonding moment they're proud of when they've spent the last two games and half a dozen terrible books shitting on, invalidating and subverting every single religion in the setting and making every religious character look like suckers and fools. Or in Leliana's case making them pragmatic atheists.

I'm was wondering about this too. Ultimately, I came to the conclusion that the fact that they put a Powerful Black Woman in charge of Chantry paradoxically forced them to treat her differently. If I remember correctly, she was some sort of well of feminine wisdom or something.

Andraste reincarnated, like a black Jesus. There would be a high threshold for making her look like a fool.

I'd put money on the Maker making an appearance and being a fat black woman.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron

Modron

Arcane
Not that I would play a nubioware game but it's better to shoot for interesting and fail to deliver than to aim for bland mediocrity.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
so many evil paths are not well done. The writers morally oppose it
You don't need to make a "muhahaha evil" character to have an interesting blood mage. For example, imagine that the main character is in a situation where he either uses blood magic or someone important to him, like his mother, dies. And after using it, he starts being persecuted, having to flee and do gradually more and more bad things to survive. It can be an interesting story.

Cael

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
so many evil paths are not well done. The writers morally oppose it
You don't need to make a "muhahaha evil" character to have an interesting blood mage. For example, imagine that the main character is in a situation where he either uses blood magic or someone important to him, like his mother, dies. And after using it, he starts being persecuted, having to flee and do gradually more and more bad things to survive. It can be an interesting story.
And his name is Jowan.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
It's one thing to skip certain paths due to production constraints. Remember it's artists that have to translate story into tons of art assets, so calling writers or artists lazy or morally opposed to something seems unfair.

Otoh, after having watched the GI video, I didn't get away with the sense that this is even gonna be a CRPG! Corinne Busche blathered on a lot about hairstyles, customizations and gear, but nothing about C&C and questing. These are the least things I'm interested about in a story-driven singleplayer RPG. If I want that item fever, I'll just play WoW.

What I also got away from Busche is that she sounds like a snob and that she doesn't seem to have it in her to write something bolt, intricate and gripping. Maybe I'm wrong, but this reeks of another inoffensive piece of Non-Art. Disney Age: The Capewearer.

processdaemon

Scholar
Patron
More cringe,

I only got through about 10 minutes of it but the main highlight is in the first minute anyway:
Busche: I remember when Dragon Age: Origins came out... it had all the strategy I was looking for, I was in awe of that game
Then why would you take that strategy away and replace it with this?

Based on this obvious lie I also looked through Busche's previous games and from what I can see it's stuff like Tiger Woods, the Sims and a few other random not-RPGs, seems like a weird choice for Game Director for a big RPG but admittedly I'm no expert. I should probably be more mad at the likes of Patrick Weekes who's been at Bioware for nearly 2 decades and is fanning the flames of decline than Busche who just seems like a standard EA drone who probably doesn't care a whit whether they're working on an RPG, FPS or Battle Chess.

Semiurge

Cipher
hgRqRN6.png

GamesRadar+ article.
This honestly explains why so many evil paths are not well done. The writers morally oppose it. That's actually crazy to me. Or maybe they're just lazy and they're lying about why they didnt want to make a cool class because it would take effort.

That's mostly irrelevant. WRPG's adhere to the Dungeons & Dragons tropes where the main character is a hero by default, opposing lawful or chaotic evil. Being evil is not a part of this setting. A game where there are literal dragons and not-orks is a game that's primarily designed for lawful good playthroughs.

There are games where being evil, morally grey or lawless is the whole idea, regardless of their writers' moral leanings. Mafia-related games, WoD, Dungeon Keepers, anything edgy etc.

Last edited:

Larianshill

Arbiter
Dragon Age Origins had kick-ass evil paths. Bhelen, Anvil of the Void, werewolves, shit was rad. You could sacrifice a child for personal power, what other game offers that?

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Then why would you take that strategy away and replace it with this?
They were busy congratulating themselves about moving further and further away from tactical gameplay to an action particle effects orgy.

Then BG3 came out and did everything BioWare does but better and turn-based. :-D

Also. Doing epic, acrobatic moves and cool magic shit is really lame when you're slowly hacking away at a health bar.

processdaemon

Scholar
Patron
Any summary? Is it more than thirty minutes of "We love Origins, that's why we changed everything. The most important thing for us was the body type and skin color options. I'm a woman, by the way."

It's pretty much just a 30 minute video with all the stuff that Game Informer has been dripfeeding articles about for the last month or so, I don't think there's any new information if you've read those other than a few background clips of areas.

The main thing that stood out to me was them not so subtly shitting all over the stories, companions and combat of all the previous Dragon Age games. They also seem very convinced that centring the game on a party full of DMPCs that you probably can't escape from for most of the game because they're supposedly essential to progressing the plot is something to be proud of. I thought maybe some of that stuff in the articles was taken out of context or exaggerated but it's all there in the video.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
Any summary? Is it more than thirty minutes of "We love Origins, that's why we changed everything. The most important thing for us was the body type and skin color options. I'm a woman, by the way."

It's pretty much just a 30 minute video with all the stuff that Game Informer has been dripfeeding articles about for the last month or so, I don't think there's any new information if you've read those other than a few background clips of areas.

The main thing that stood out to me was them not so subtly shitting all over the stories, companions and combat of all the previous Dragon Age games. They also seem very convinced that centring the game on a party full of DMPCs that you probably can't escape from for most of the game because they're supposedly essential to progressing the plot is something to be proud of. I thought maybe some of that stuff in the articles was taken out of context or exaggerated but it's all there in the video.
lol you watched this garbage

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
More cringe,

Who cares anyway?

Me. A bit.

That's because you're a perpetually horny Frenchman with low standards.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom