Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age: The Veilguard - coming October 31st

Vatnik Wumao
However, since Tevinter is a mage-ocracy, the wizards most likely invented some really devious methods of surveillance and control of the non-magical part of society not unlike these of a modern totalitarian regime, so perhaps the term is justified.
It wouldn't make sense regardless of surveillance methods in a premodern society, whether it's more inspired by ancient (i.e. Roman) or medieval forms of societal organization and economic life. And from the lore, Tevinter is just a typical oligarchy and the distinction between mages and non-mages just contributes to societal stratification without it being some absolute caste system. Both mages and non-mages can be enslaved (and freed respectively), both can serve in the military (as long as they're citizens) and everyone can own land and property. Being a mage is a requirement for being part of the upper house of their parliament (i.e. a house of lords of sorts, which in this case is the one that has real power) and for attaining higher ranks within the country's clerical structures, but that's about it. And a mage born of non-mage parents can attain all positions that are open to individuals of mage families (a.i. becoming higher ranking clergymen or magisters).

All common citizens of the Imperium who are non-mages are considered part of the Soporati ("sleepers") social class. This is a mainly human class whose members are allowed to own property and serve in Tevinter's military but have no real power in the nation's governance and are unable to attain a higher rank in the Imperial Chantry than mother or father. Often, they are found to be merchants or publicans (civil servants and leaders of the Legionnaires). However, when a Soporati family produces a mage child — a greatly desired outcome in Tevinter, unlike the rest of Thedas — it allows them entrance into the Laetan class and thus a higher social standing.
While Tevinter slaves used to be predominantly elven, they are now mostly a mix of elves and humans, though even dwarves and Qunari can become slaves. Mages can also be enslaved.
Slaves can only be legally freed before a judge, with their owner present to make the decree, or by the owner's will upon their death. However, freed slaves are still not considered citizens of Tevinter. Those who achieve freedom are instead sectioned into another class known as the Liberati. The Liberati functions as a subclass, and those within it are granted limited rights. Liberati are able to act as an apprentice in a trade or join a Circle of Magi. Liberati are also able to own land and property, but they cannot join the military and rarely have a say in governance.

Semiurge

Cipher
Game director Corinne Busche agrees, adding that Veilguard's companions are "the most fully realized complex companions we've ever crafted." She also believes they're the Dragon Age series' best. "They're complicated, they have complicated problems, and that's what's interesting," she continues. "As much as I adore the companions and the journeys I've been on with them in past Dragon Age titles – previously, it feels like companions are going on an adventure with me, the main character, whether it's the Hero of Ferelden or Hawke, you name it. But in [Veilguard], in many ways, the companions are so fleshed out that it feels as though I'm going on a journey with them. I'm exploring how they think and feel; I'm helping them through their problems. We're working through their unique character arcs. They feel like my dear friends, and I absolutely adore them."
Busche says these companions participate in the game's darker and more optimistic parts. "We've really moved into a place where you can have the highest of highs, and it can be colorful, it can be optimistic, but also, you can have the lowest of lows where it gets gritty, it gets painful, it gets quite dark. But throughout it all, there is a sense of optimism. And it creates this delightful throughline throughout the game."

Just how stupid does he think we are?

What a loaf of intestinal mucus, with flowery prose sprinkled on top.

As Neve Gallus is the companion I spent the most time with during my visit to BioWare, I asked Epler about this character and her role in the game. Here's what I learned: "So Neve is a private investigator in Minrathous. Minrathous is the capital city of the Tevinter Empire. It’s also a mage-ocracy; mages run the entirety of the Empire – they’re all-powerful. A lot of them still believe in slavery, they keep slaves, it’s a very oppressive, totalitarian regime. And Neve is a member of the Shadow Dragons, which is a rebel faction within Thedas that fights back against this mage-ocracy, fights back against this oppressive, very damaging regime that’s taken over the city, because she believes there’s good, and she is there for the common people. So if you’re not a mage in Tevinter, you are lower than dirt for a lot of people. She and the Shadow Dragons, in general, fight back, but Neve, in particular, is this character that represents this more, ‘voice of the streets, the voice of the common people.’ In previous Dragon Age games, you go to Orlais, you meet Emperor Celene, you meet Briala; we wanted to have a character that showed not just what is Tevinter at the top, but what is the average person who lives in Tevinter. And she is very much about, again, fighting oppression, fighting tyranny and, as a private investigator, finding clues and ways through problems that aren’t maybe as action-focused as some of the other companions."

*Bzzz* Rebel faction... fights back... mage-ocracy... fights back... oppressive, very damaging regime... for the common people... *bzzz*

That's the first party memeber I'd kill.

No wait - you won't be able to do that.

God I hate these troglodytes,
hgRqRN6.png

GamesRadar+ article.
Blood magic became not politically correct for BioWare. Ironic considering how hard DA:O tried to be edgy and grimdark.

Bioware's troons have turned Tevinter into some flanderized evil empire where even little girls kick their leashed non-magic slaves in the streets. They've slowly built up the place into that, Dorian's backstory in DA:I was just a taste. DA:O painted it in a more mysterious light, despite making it clear that it was where blood magic was/is practiced openly. They didn't go full retard with "Tevinter evul".

except Bloog Magic which is very cool both in lore and gameplay.
I played a blood mage and I found very little use for the blood magic spells. The best one was still the combination of freezing and then shattering them.

The cost/pay ratio of those spells sucked, as they all steal away your party members' health as I recall, while giving back less than the most powerful regular spells. Using bloodmagic was really more like a roleplaying choice where you accept the cost. Even then the NPCs not noticing breaks suspension of disbelief.

Last edited:

Cael

Arcane
Possibly Retarded

I played a blood mage and I found very little use for the blood magic spells. The best one was still the combination of freezing and then shattering them.

The cost/pay ratio of those spells sucked, as they all steal away your party members' health as I recall, while giving back less than the most powerful regular spells. Using bloodmagic was really more like a roleplaying choice where you accept the cost. Even then the NPCs not noticing breaks suspension of disbelief.
The last ability in the DAO blood mage spec tree is an AoE crushing prison. It is pretty overpowered...

Semiurge

Cipher

The last ability in the DAO blood mage spec tree is an AoE crushing prison. It is pretty overpowered...

Perhaps, but it seems that for this spell and all others to be available you need to enable the first sustained ability that converts all mana costs to health. Yours, if no allies are nearby.

Last edited:

Cael

Arcane
Possibly Retarded

Perhaps, but it seems that for this spell and all others to be available you need to enable the first sustained ability that converts all mana costs to health.
I can't remember, to be honest. But you can toggle it on and off, IIRC.

Camel

Scholar

Blood wound was one OP and the only useful blood magic spell with huge damage and crowd control. It synergizes well with the arcane warrior, you don’t need mana to cast it and can use it to draw aggro.

Camel

Scholar
I've played a mage in all three games and I don't remember shit except the useless kungfu moves you do for basic ranged attacks.

And I only remember that because it looked cooler than the actual martials.

:deathclaw:
You’re confusing DA:O with DA2 retarded mage attacks.
kYCD7D.gif

9ted6

Educated
https://www.gameinformer.com/exclus...companion-design-philosophy-in-dragon-age-the
"I would first start with Dragon Age – each installment in this franchise has been different, so we didn't set out to make a game that was a sequel or the same game as before. We really wanted to do something different and we did push the envelope in a couple of areas, companions being one of them.
"We've never had any idea what the hell we're doing and Dragon Age has never had an established identity because we keep chasing trends regardless of game quality."

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I've played a mage in all three games and I don't remember shit except the useless kungfu moves you do for basic ranged attacks.

And I only remember that because it looked cooler than the actual martials.

:deathclaw:
You’re confusing DA:O with DA2 retarded mage attacks.
kYCD7D.gif
Inquisition's moveset was very similar so that's basically how mages attack in DA.

Old Hans

Arcane
But in [Veilguard], in many ways, the companions are so fleshed out that it feels as though I'm going on a journey with them.

"As much as I adore the companions and the journeys I've been on with them in past Dragon Age titles – previously, it feels like companions are going on an adventure with me, the main character, whether it's the Hero of Ferelden or Hawke, you name it. But in [Veilguard], in many ways, the companions are so fleshed out that it feels as though I'm going on a journey with them.
maybe im cynical, but that smells a bit like typical PR hype "Our game has over 9000 endings!!!!!1"

MjKorz

Educated
But in [Veilguard], in many ways, the companions are so fleshed out that it feels as though I'm going on a journey with them.

"As much as I adore the companions and the journeys I've been on with them in past Dragon Age titles – previously, it feels like companions are going on an adventure with me, the main character, whether it's the Hero of Ferelden or Hawke, you name it. But in [Veilguard], in many ways, the companions are so fleshed out that it feels as though I'm going on a journey with them.
maybe im cynical, but that smells a bit like typical PR hype "Our game has over 9000 endings!!!!!1"
This doesn't sound half-bad, actually. I'm tired of RPGs shamelessly fellating the player (a consequence of playing too much Owlslop), playing second fiddle to a more important character or faction can be a refreshing experience.

Vatnik Wumao
This doesn't sound half-bad, actually. I'm tired of RPGs shamelessly fellating the player (a consequence of playing too much Owlslop), playing second fiddle to a more important character or faction can be a refreshing experience.
Sure, if the story is good and the characters are cool. Do you think that's the case here though? At least with a player-centered mediocre RPG you can enjoy the power fantasy aspect of it, but otherwise if it's a passive experience - might as well just watch a TV show with a cast of characters that you like. This sort of companion focus is a bad trend in video games imho, part of the broader insistence on a 'cinematic experience'. And in the case of RPGs, it's another aspect of the whole casualization of the genre by taking influence from stuff like action adventure games where this sort of cinematic focus is a more pervasive trend (for better or worse in their case too).

MjKorz

Educated
Sure, if the story is good and the characters are cool. Do you think that's the case here though? At least with a player-centered mediocre RPG you can enjoy the power fantasy aspect of it, but otherwise if it's a passive experience - might as well just watch a TV show with a cast of characters that you like. This sort of companion focus is a bad trend in video games imho, part of the broader insistence on a 'cinematic experience'. And in the case of RPGs, it's another aspect of the whole casualization of the genre by taking influence from stuff like action adventure games where this sort of cinematic focus is a more pervasive trend (for better or worse in their case too).
I don't mean the cinematic focus on other party members instead of the player character, I mean the narrative in general being focused on more important characters and factions than the player. Of course, I still expect the player character to have reasonable amount of "screen time" and roleplaying opportunities that allow for proper player characterization and self-expression via moral/class/skill/background/whatever reactivity.

Like in Age of Decadence or Colony Ship, where you don't play some kind of hot shot heroic world savior, but a cog in a faction machine of your choice who eventually gets some important things done. Another example would be playing a supporting character for Martin Septim in Oblivion.

Basshead

Educated
I don't mean the cinematic focus on other party members instead of the player character, I mean the narrative in general being focused on more important characters and factions than the player. Of course, I still expect the player character to have reasonable amount of "screen time" and roleplaying opportunities that allow for proper player characterization and self-expression via moral/class/skill/background/whatever reactivity.

Like in Age of Decadence or Colony Ship, where you don't play some kind of hot shot heroic world savior, but a cog in a faction machine of your choice who eventually gets some important things done. Another example would be playing a supporting character for Martin Septim in Oblivion.
No one cares about colon shit. Seriously. Just because it was made by some Eastern European codexer doesn’t make it a good game. Someone can actively go out of their way to make a game that’s not “decline” and have it still be shit. Do you know why that is? It’s because the consensus here on what makes a good game, or the problems in game development, why games are shit, etc is wrong. This site is filled with mentally ill social recluses that don’t have a goddamn clue most of the time about game development or anything else. Most have never done anything creative. See the constant preoccupation with culture war shit. It’s a bunch of terminally online incels who have been led by the nose into being temporarily useful idiots for someone else’s scheme. “It cant be that I’m a loser and a moron, it must be the end of civilization! It’s everyone else that’s wrong! That’s why no girl will touch my penis. It’s also why games suck! It’s a conspiracy!” Do these fools know what makes a good game? Will catering to their insanity produce a good product that is successful? If enough people repeat the bitching in an echo chamber it must be relevant, right? Wrong.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
This already got more pages than the Avowed thread. LOL.
And more than allegedly beloved Codex classic games threads combined.
This is so ghey, we know Bioware has been utter garbage for the last 10 years, we know this game is helmed by a radical pronoun person, we know it's gonna be shit - but people still can't wait to play it. Brainless.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom