Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Capcom Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Arc of Deliverance
This thing is so beautiful. The difference it makes when dealing with Ogres, man.

I mean, Ogres starts do the mating dance on seeing female: Start the Arc, unleash, bring his health to rage levels.
Ogre starts doing the rage dance, unleash again.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
How often do you guys swap gear, I've probably been using the same greatsword for ages now.
Almost never, but that's because I've been exploring so nothing new has become available. Seems like I went back to the MQ line and two new armor tiers became available after doing two quests!

The fact that there's so little emphasis placed on loot in this game corroborates the theory that the open world aspects were tacked on at a later date; I think it would work even better as a fixed progression, mission-based system.

Hyperion

Arcane
The fact that there's so little emphasis placed on loot in this game
Dark Arisen content is the exact opposite. It's all loot, dungeon-crawling, with tons of focused-exploration. No open world to be found. Monster design was enjoyable. Drew nicely from classic mythology and fantasy, while keeping the enemies a logical evolution in difficulty, and AI of those in the main game.

Last edited:

Delterius

Arcane
The fact that there's so little emphasis placed on loot in this game corroborates the theory that the open world aspects were tacked on at a later date; I think it would work even better as a fixed progression, mission-based system.
Oh, this isn't really true. Dragon's Dogma was always intended as an open world game. In fact, the words "Skyrim with good combat" were used in some interviews. It only makes sense: Skyrim is one of the few western games to reach some level of success in Japan. It was bound to make an impact.

And while I do agree that looting and story progression aren't up to par, don't forget all the little ways that DD succeeds in building up a sense of exploration. The day and night cycle where the latter is pitch black and dangerous. The hidden ways to solve certain quests. The many different ways to traverse the land. It all points to what could have been. Hell, consider that Gransys itself is just one third of what was originally planned. And that Dragon's Dogma was turned into an MMO. These things aren't coincidence.

Hyperion

Arcane
That's because Crapcom refused to give the devs more money because they thought his ideas of exploration, and pawns were horseshit. The original plans called for a big ass tower to serve as a late-game dungeon, hang gliding to other countries, and traveling to the moon.

http://www.xboxachievements.com/new...ly-Twice-as-Large--Featured-Hang-Gliders.html
Director Hideaki Itsuno discussed the development of Dragon's Dogma at the Game Developers Conference today, outlining the struggles he had in creating the game.

Among the many subjects covered by Itsuno in the talk, titled Behind the Scenes of Dragon's Dogma, the director explained just how hard he found selling the game's concepts to Capcom, and some of the sacrifices he had to make to remain on budget.

Itsuno says that in 2008, when work on Dragon's Dogma began in earnest, “open-world hadn't reached the mainstream, especially in Japan.” Indeed, such was the Capcom's insularity that even Bethesda's The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion was “almost unheard of” at the publisher.

The biggest problem Itsuno faced, however, was communicating the potential of Dragon's Dogma's Pawn system.

In Dragon's Dogma, each player has access to Pawns; AI-controlled players with customisable abilities. These Pawns can then be shared online between players, picking up knowledge, rewards and experience as they go.

However, Itsuno wasn't able to convince Capcom that it was a fun idea. Conceived at a time when social functionality wasn't common in games, the publisher just didn't understand Pawns' potential. Itsuno reckons that many of Capcom's bosses only properly understood Pawns once they played the retail version of the game.

Beyond this, Itsuno also outlined how Dragon's Dogma's world shrank during development. At one point it was twice as big as the final release, with a hang glider or kite used to travel to the more far flung regions. You were also able to travel to the moon, but the content was eventually cut thanks to budget restictions.

Dragon's Dogma released in May last year, selling over one million copies and earning wide praise from critics

deuxhero

Arcane
The quiet that follows once you get your pawns offed is amazing.

How often do you guys swap gear, I've probably been using the same greatsword for ages now.
And damn, levelling up is rather fast here.

That's nothing. Eden's Warden can be found during the Wyrm Hunt quests and for a magic build (as the magic part of its damage scales with your magic attack) it will last you 75% of the game.

Mozg

Arcane
The quiet that follows once you get your pawns offed is amazing.

And damn, levelling up is rather fast here.

That's nothing. Eden's Warden can be found during the Wyrm Hunt quests and for a magic build (as the magic part of its damage scales with your magic attack) it will last you 75% of the game.

Part-magic weapons don't actually work like that, I remember reading something about someone testing it. They compared the damage of a magic weapon swing with thousands of hacked intelligence vs. none and it made no difference. I think the magic part of the attack is just a flat amount, even though your character sheet implies that intelligence increases its attack power. So, don't think you can make much of a "weapon mage" build. IIRC it does work for magic archer bow attacks and mage/sorcerer staff attacks.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
I finally bought it, honestly controls are not that bad? I mean character control, the inventory works weird but might get used to it after some time.
So far I like it more than overrated Dark Souls.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Hey guys is Dragon's Dogma any good?
Yeah, very good if you want an action RPG. The bestiary is awesome and combat very fluid - perhaps the best adaptation of class-based action oriented mechanics.
Don't expect much in the way of story and dialogues though. And the world seems... unfinished. Supposedly it covers 1/3 of the initially intended area.

Ent

Savant
they gave it a c for combat? My only issue with the combat pertains to only one class - why the FUCK did warriors only get 3 moves?

Mozg

Arcane
I think the dinput8.dll mod lets you do that. If not, I think you can do warrior/bow or warrior/staff (or whatever).

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
they gave it a c for combat? My only issue with the combat pertains to only one class - why the FUCK did warriors only get 3 moves?
Warrior is plenty powerfull even without only 3 special moves.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
It's not about whether the warrior is sufficiently powerful; it's that restricting the warrior vocation to only three skills from the usual six reduces the customizability of this vocation relative to the other eight and makes it more repetitive to play than would have been the case with the full six skills. If they were worried about it being too powerful (which I doubt was the reason) then a simple fix would have been to divide the warrior's skills into two groups, and require the second set of three skills to be chosen from those that are more in the vein of support skills ---the ladder/catapult blade, pommel strike/bash, and battle/war cry skills already exist as support skills, and they could have added more.

Ent

Savant
Warrior is plenty powerfull even without only 3 special moves.
While warrior can be pretty powerful with only 3 skills having options always makes the class more fun. I know its not really the same but after playing warrior in dragons dogma online having more options just feels good.

That review video that was just posted is possibly the most annoying thing I've seen this entire month. Congratulations.

What the fuck is that manlet pseudo Dudley Moore with a shitty american weasel accent trying to say even? And the other cuck, what? Are people really this fucking stupid? They have viewers?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom