Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Capcom Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

Silverfish

Arbiter
The character creator is incredibly complex, you can even modify the bone structure and the parts of the body where to deposit more fat

dd260d70f728e876dfcc5b69d444b81e1dc6154b27f96c30befc957de28b21e8.jpg

Anonona

Learned
A new "leak". I don't know Rick...

079iy4x9pu251.png

Probably fake. The comment about customization sounds ridiculous, as if the poster though being able to tune in such minutia things was amazing, so he decided to write it to generate "hype". I think, unless Itsuno has enough influence and "prestige" to pull some strings on Capcom, we are not going to see a sequel any time soon. Right now it seems Resident Evil and Monster Hunter are the money makers, so most likely they are going to focus on that for now.

Having said this, I would still like for these leaks to be real. I particularly like the idea of having the game being mainly single player and a multiplayer mode for endgame, although I fear they may go the Dark Arisen route and integrate grinding and farming for gear to pad the game out. Also the part of modular content sounds interesting, they could do it similarly to MHW and really add more content through updates and expansions, which does sounds like something Capcom would do seeing how well it has been working with MHW. Also would be kind of funny, as initially the game, despite being designed for the international market, did really well in Japan as a sort of not-MH, before mouth to mouth made DD more popular.

What are your thoughts on DD2 having multiplayer?

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The only problem I ever had with pawns, is that they often had trouble locking onto far off targets.
Namely the talismans you have to destroy to defeat the harder golems that don't have them on their body.

Citizen

Warrior > Mystic Knight > Assassin (Sword + Shield) > Fighter > Strider > Ranger > Magick Pussies

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Low T hierarchy of classes.

Low T man can't fully draw a longbow. But can use fast swinging blades. In many games bows are boring weakling weapons but on Dragon's Dogma, Bows are the medieval equivalent to a anti materiel rifle. The way that armor and multiple damage resistances depending where you hit works makes it even better.

Warrior > Mystic Knight > Assassin (Sword + Shield) > Fighter > Strider > Ranger > Magick Pussies

Warriors which can only have 3 skills and all very lackluster.

Assassins with bows or not are a interesting class to play.

Most magic classes are boring because the gameplay as a magician is just press a button and pray to not be interrupted while casting.

But if you like melee, you can make a decent melee magick archer using immolation and similar skills.

Anonona

Learned
Ranger is boring because you only need to spam Tenfold Flurry and win. Your video makes it even more obvious how boring they are. All vocations have incredibly powerful attacks and combos, but I find Ranger the most boring one of them while still being one of the most powerful. Is like playing a boring 3rd person shooter. Even with all the neat systems of attacking different parts, it is kind of wasted by how ridiculous powerful it is, while many of its skills aren't that impressive or "fun" either. At least both Strider and Assassin have different play styles and unique fun mechanics to them. Hell you don't even need to be close to your enemy, can keep a safe distance, as if it wasn't easy enough.

Warriors are great even if they are weak because their skills are more interesting. Fighters are fun until you unlock Dragon's Maw, them is spam to win and mushrooms galore, but is great having skills to dodge, rush to your opponent, draw attention to yourself, throw your companion higher, etc.

Most magic classes are boring because the gameplay as a magician is just press a button and pray to not be interrupted while casting.

You are supposed to find the best moment to start casting and use smart positioning. You cannot just cast and forget like most CRPGs. Also synchronizing spells helps quite a lot.

Last edited:

Silverfish

Arbiter
You are supposed to find the best moment to start casting and use smart positioning. You cannot just cast and forget like most CRPGs. Also synchronizing spells helps quite a lot.

Or, just play mage instead of sorcerer. I like to kick back, let pawns do the heavy lifting and throw out a heal or a fire buff every now and then.

Anonona

Learned
Or, just play mage instead of sorcerer. I like to kick back, let pawns do the heavy lifting and throw out a heal or a fire buff every now and then.

True, true. Many people complain about Mage being boring because its a healer, but I find it quite satisfying when you have a good team of pawns that can bring enemies down by themselves while you act as support, while their hexes, enchantments and attacks aren't bad either.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Ranger is boring because you only need to spam Tenfold Flurry and win(...)Is like playing a boring 3rd person shooter.

There are a lot of powerful skills to use, not only tenfold flurry.

See at 1:00 here

A lv 30 ranger using all types of special arrows to and skills solo a high level boss. Even Death by using the scenario and intelligence, he managed to kill using the weakest longbow

EDIT : SEE AT 4:10

Yep; but some enemies mostly flying ones can be as pain in the **** if you are a pure caster. Magick Archer is extremely interesting but the fact that i can't aim is a huge drawback. Ricoshet Hunter on BI is amazing.

Anonona

Learned
There are a lot of powerful skills to use, not only tenfold flurry.

Sure, but still the gameplay isn't that interesting to me. Just shoot and keep your distance. And still, Tenfold is the most effective way to deal with the great majority of enemies. No charging times, just equip some explosive arrows and go to town.

A lv 30 ranger using all types of special arrows to and skills solo a high level boss. Even Death by using the scenario and intelligence, he managed to kill using the weakest longbow

No one is questioning its power. Most classes can solo almost all bosses by themselves. Is just that Ranger do it with less effort and not that interesting. Also the player had to use limitations to make the combat interesting at all, which could be seen as implying that it needs a nerf. Is not a bad class, and the use of different arrows does make it quite interesting, but I think while playing normally it sadly becomes a bit of a bore, specially if you try to play very optimally.

Yep; but some enemies mostly flying ones can be as pain in the **** if you are a pure caster.

Sure, but I think that is actually not a bad thing. Classes and vocations are not only interesting because of what they can do, but also what they cannot do. And staff work pretty decently with flying enemies.

And just as a fun tidbit, Lassitude is a pretty great spell for sorcerer, specifically the regular version. Quick to cast, its strongest property is not so much the Topor effect (which is pretty good when it works) but it also stops enemies in place for a few seconds, giving you and your party more time to act. Pretty good for downed enemies.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Sorcerors are great fun, a lot of their best spells aren't the big flashy ones. High exequy is amazing, and the status spells actually deal some damage too, which is nice once your stats are high enough because they tick fast and are very spammable. Voidspell is a must have too.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I never played the regular version. If i remember correctly is a $ony exclusive.

But i get that people who don't enjoy shooting don't liking ranger class. Among magical classes, my favorite is the Magick Archer. It can be great at range and CQB with immolation and similar amazing skills and at range. I still prefer ranger because IMO Dragon's Dogma is one of the few RPG's with great archery. On most RPG's, archery is just boring, Ultra limited range, no damage differentiation to where you hit, no special arrows, no cool skills(...)

Other amazing thing about Dragon's Dogma is the lack of cooldowns. In can focus on battlefield, aiming, my party, enemies weakness and not on arbitrary time limiters

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
Agree with SorcererVictor on everything he said on ranger. Ranger is the best class for me as well.
On the contrary i don't like MA very much, having autotarget feels gimmick and wrong for an archer user

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
On the contrary i don't like MA very much, having autotarget feels gimmick and wrong for an archer user

Yep; the main reason that i don't play much as a MA is the autolock. And lack of a long range single arrow deadlyness. All long range MA skills are multiple projectile based.

But longbows are rarely good in any RPG. My unique critique is that all arrows has the same speed. Would be cool if a dragon glaze can fire the same projectile at incredible higher speeds if compared with the starting bow. And you could have more type of arrows to chose from. For eg, instead of having to use Conqueror's Periapt to deal damage on heavily armored enemies, you could have to use heavy bodkin arrows.

" Computer analysis by Warsaw University of Technology in 2017 demonstrated that heavy bodkin-point arrows could penetrate typical plate armour of the time at 225 metres (738 ft). However, the depth of penetration would be slight at that range; penetration increased as the range closed or against armour lesser than the best quality available at the time.[7]" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bodkin_point

For explosive arrows, would be cool if they are slower. Because the arrow is carrying a explosive charge.

IRL, i own a 175 lbf crossbow. I can arm her with my bare hands, without having to use a cocking device and what i love about archery is that i can re use the same arrow/bolt until he is broken. Ammo is extremely expensive where i live, even training 200 shots with a .22 LR costs a lot of money to the point that if you wanna practice a lot of shots in a single day, is less expensive to travel to a nearby country. Other problem here is the caliber restrictions, i never fired .45-70, .308 and even .44 magnum on my home country. Anything which is not .22 LR, .38 spc and 12 gauge birdshot/buckshot is extremely rare to find. And with 12 gauge you will probably spend $1 per shot converting to US dollars.

k8gdaS0.jpg

Dragon Glaze is probably my favorite weapon on the Dragon's Dogma. A interesting video.

Anonona

Learned
Fighter 4 lyfe.

Ranger is the best class for me as well

Among magical classes, my favorite is the Magick Archer

It is really great how the game supports so many different play styles. Hope that in a hypothetical sequel they continue adding more variety.

One of the issues I think would help improve combat would be to change item usage. Currently, you can pause whenever and just heal and recover stamina, which often time kills the challenge of many fights. They should do it MH's style and have you heal in combat, forcing the player to find an opening while healing themselves, but not taking so long it breaks the flow of combat. It would both make Mages better, as now magic healing would be more useful, and certain OP strategies weaker, because while you still can spam your skills, recovering stamina is more difficult, so you have to think better how you pace your stamina consumption. In fact I think DDO did something like that.

Also, make enchantments be a single spell that let you select which element you want to use. Unless you were hunting very specific enemies, certain enchantments like Darkness and Ice didn't get much use compared to the others for how little enemies were weak to them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom