Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Capcom Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

moraes

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The JRPG subforum hosts all discussion of Japanese-developed RPGs, as well as some non-RPGs by Japanese developers, rather than being limited to the JRPG subgenre. :M

And also emulation, for some reason.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
The JRPG subforum hosts all discussion of Japanese-developed RPGs, as well as some non-RPGs by Japanese developers, rather than being limited to the JRPG subgenre. :M

What about Deus Ex? IS made by a western company and published by Square Enix.

Just kidding. People on general RPG forum has a strong anti "Japanese" bias. I mean, they argue that Dark Souls is not a RPG when it has stats, choice and consequence(link or not the fire), progression, weapon requirement, etc. And are organizing a campaign anti kitsune race on the PF WoTR poll due her link with weebs. I don't care about this furry races(rats and foxies), if was up to me, Cambions and Neanderthals would be a playable race, but what is the problem if someone who like this races is playing? Even if it has links to weebs, the worst thing that can happen is some guys playing as kitsunes samurais on WoTR(and what is the problem?)

I mock JRPG protagonists and some times and obnoxious with it, but i an just mocking, i don't wanna dictate how people should play and have fun. This is something that i don't understand. I know a guy who criticize everyone who plays Dark Souls with a polearm, armor and magic and the same guy complains about "too much enemies" on DS2 when, a polearm and a firestorm can solve most of "enemy spam" problems...

Anyway, here is a funny video about why i love the Longbow AKA the medieval equivalent to Anti Materiel Rifles. Dragon's Dogma has the best longbow in any RPG which i've played.

This thread wouldn't have flown there back when it was created anyways. It didn't come to PC until 2016, and the Codex wasn't yet fully resigned to basically every modern Western RPG being shit at the end of 2011.

Vincente

Arbiter
Anyway, here is a funny video about why i love the Longbow AKA the medieval equivalent to Anti Materiel Rifles. Dragon's Dogma has the best longbow in any RPG which i've played.

It's definitely on the broken side, with Conq stacking and Tenfold, you can pretty much one or two-shot post-Daimon.

Puukko

Arcane
I started my 4th playthrough proper, using the world difficulty mod... and it is pretty underwhelming to be honest. The most obvious difference is that everything hurts way more to the point where I spent a lot of the base game getting one shot by charging goblins and wolves. First round of BBI tuned it down a bit, and frankly it is easy so far. Granted, I am running a cheesy sorcerers + mage party but that's because I was prepared for a bigger challenge. I think I noticed two instances of different enemy placement in Gransys, with big skellies + gold/silver knights in one of the basements near Bluemoon (according to pawn chatter - I couldn't get past the skellies back then) as well as a garm leading a pack near the castle where the duchess gets held hostage. I really wish the mod got more creative like that, with more unique enemy combos rather than simply making weak mooks one shot. I have some of the Everfall as well as BBI 2.0 left still so there could be cool surprises in there still.

There is a NG+ version of the mod too. I hope it does more than just bump up the numbers, but I won't be doing it now anyway. I think I'll finally fight the Seneschal though.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Got this over the week for Switch... other than Dark Souls I think this is the action RPG that I replayed the most and own on most plataforms (PS3, PC, PS4, Switch) and it is simply fantastic as a handheld experience.
The draw distance is a somehow worse than on PS3 with objects and npcs popping up almost in front of you but the hi res textures and the great lighting make this game really look great on the small screen.

The combat is as fun as ever, the questing simple but entertaining and overall it makes me very happy to play over long periods of time just enjoying the experience on Switch where it feels tailor made for the console

I played Fighters and Mage types before and finding the Mystic Archer to be a very entertaining Glass Canon who can deal a whole lot of damage bouncing all over the battlefield

Well, whatever Hideaki Itsuno is working on next, be it Dragon's Dogma 2 or something else, I wouldn't think we're going to see anything of it until maybe sometime around the end of next year or during something like E3 2022.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Every time i see this thread upped i start getting excited for any DD2 news, excitement that quickly turns into :negative: when i see there is none.

Me too, but I also end up thinking about replaying it or picking up the Switch version and replaying that, even though I already paid for it and played it on PS3 (original and then again with DA release), PS4, and PC.
It's crazy to me that the only game I have ever paid for 4 times and have been considering paying for a 5th time didn't warrant a sequel.

Alfgart

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Dragon's Dogma anime, coming September 17th on Netflix

Looking good. Seriously thinking of getting a Netflix account just to watch this and show support

107966167_4048512021887708_2126269962821441870_o.jpg

109206166_4048512041887706_455530247641237895_o.jpg

I wonder how people would react if the setting of Dragon's Dogma 2 was something radically different from the first game? Like if it wasn't even a classical medieval fantasy setting anymore. I'm not really expecting something too crazy, but if they do do the whole kind of Final Fantasy anthology type thing where ever game is it's own setting with a few things linking the series together it does kind of open them up to do whatever. I'm not really expecting something too radically different, but sometimes I do wonder too.

I am however expecting it to be different. For something that draws so heavily on Berserk they still ended up playing things pretty straight. Even more straight then stuff like their Dungeons and Dragons games.The monster are all pretty traditional looking. The armor and clothing isn't too outrageous looking. There's nothing like the Gigeresque Hellraiser looking villians or other creatures of Berserk. But Dark Arisen got a little more wild with some of the monsters and clothing, and Dragon's Dogma Online pushed that stuff even more.

Looking at some art for the game it seems they had some crazier stuff in mind that didn't make the final game.

r8KJfoh.jpg

Black

Arcane
I wonder how people would react if the setting of Dragon's Dogma 2 was something radically different from the first game? Like if it wasn't even a classical medieval fantasy setting anymore.
If it was upped to even the DDO levels I probably wouldn't even bother pirating. One of the reasons I liked the first one is because it was grounded and not unnecessarily flashy.

Anonona

Learned
welp that looks awful.

RIP DD2's chance to be born

It may actually be the opposite case. It could be Capcom's stratagem to hook the general public and garner interest for the game before announcing DD2. They probably saw how many people watch Netflix and the success of certain animated shows like the Castlevania one and decided it was the best choice, regardless of how shit the show ended up being. I mean, as far as I'm aware, propably DD2 won't have anything to do with the show, just as it doesn't have that much in common with DD1 according to the initial premise.

https://www.polygon.com/2020/7/15/21325469/netflix-dragons-dogma-anime-animated-series-release-date

This story of an Arisen trying to take on the Dragon closely mirrors the plot of the original game, but the Netflix series seems to be using mostly new characters. During his quest to defeat the Dragon, Ethan will also encounter various monsters themed around the seven deadly sins — another new addition for the show.

Then again, it may not be, considering that right now Resident Evil is the big money maker they may focus on that instead.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It may actually be the opposite case. It could be Capcom's stratagem to hook the general public and garner interest for the game before announcing DD2.
other possibility is the anime flop (by the hells the grigori model looks worse than the in-game one even if it's a 8 years old game) then the suits determine the franchise as "unfeasible", "not worth the investsments" and other corp babble even tho the adaptation is just PoS

Anonona

Learned
other possibility is the anime flop (by the hells the grigori model looks worse than the in-game one even if it's a 8 years old game) then the suits determine the franchise as "unfeasible", "not worth the investsments" and other corp babble even tho the adaptation is just PoS

God, I hope not. That would be horrible and considering how retarded Capcom is, actually feasible.

Shrimp

Arbiter
I don't even want them to try to outdo themselves or reinvent the wheel for DD2. Just give me more of the exact same shit I already played in DD1 and I'll be on board

I wonder how people would react if the setting of Dragon's Dogma 2 was something radically different from the first game? Like if it wasn't even a classical medieval fantasy setting anymore.
If it was upped to even the DDO levels I probably wouldn't even bother pirating. One of the reasons I liked the first one is because it was grounded and not unnecessarily flashy.

Well I don't exactly expect them to stray far from this as an idea:

Our art directors and designers tried not to stray too far from the imagery found in ancient legends and iconography. In this direction, we were influenced by other works which take the same approach, such as Kento Miura’s Berserk, and Mike Mignola’s Hellboy.​

But even within that idea, they're way less far out there than Berserk and Hellboy.

A few things have also changed since the first Dragon's Dogma too. One is Keiji Inafune isn't there anyone. Now he wasn't there when it was released, but he was when it started development, and it was him that was behind Capcom's big push to appeal to the western market. Also despite being made to appeal to the west, Dragon's Dogma ended up being bigger in Japan. Now it could also just be because the head of Dark Arisen and Online was someone different from the original release of Dragon's Dogma, but I don't really see them walking back where those went either in terms of how far they could push design elements.

sullynathan

Arcane
Honestly, that CGI pic looks like shit, while the character looked like rage of bahamut genesis. Any news of how many episodes?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom