Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Capcom Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

Black Angel

Arcane
They're all fun classes in their own way. Even the 'starting' classes can wreck shit just as much as the 'advanced' classes. Pure action RPG fun that's on par with Soulsborne and even better in many other aspects.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I don't think Fashion's Dogma is discussed enough. Some good looking gears in there.
you can't be fashionable in DD because of equipment stats. I wish there was an option to refashion your gear, like in Nioh.
Eh, only your weapon really matters. If you're a spellcaster there's a pretty nice buff on one of the headpieces, but even that isn't that important and it's BI gear.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Currently, you can pause whenever and just heal and recover stamina, which often time kills the challenge of many fig

Yep. Even playing solo on hard, except by monsters which can OHK me, i never fell much threatened.

On Gothic 1/2/3 and Dark Souls 1/2/3, if you try to drink a potion in mid of combat, the character needs to do a drink animation. And on Dark Souls 2, items with fast heal that you can purchase on merchants with unlimited usage heals very slowly. But as Damned registrations said, the biggest problem with the game is that weapons are too powerful compared to other sources of power.

But one thing about hard mode is that you gain too much money. So you can buy Maker's Finger early on

cDpxgf1.png

MTEAgWw.png

Anonona

Learned
They're all fun classes in their own way

Yeah, reading back I think I was overly critical with my post, Ranger is fine even if its not my cup of tea.

But one thing about hard mode is that you gain too much money

Yeah, the original version of the game came without hard mode, it was added later via free DLC if I remember right, which maybe it is why it feels a bit "tacked on". Hard mode could end up being easier in the long run due to gaining tons of money, so you could upgrade your gear way too fast. Also I kind of disliked the faster consumption of stamina. It added more tedium than actual difficulty in my opinion.

On Gothic 1/2/3 and Dark Souls 1/2/3, if you try to drink a potion in mid of combat, the character needs to do a drink animation

That would be the perfect solution, really, as long as you allow characters, or at least vocations like strider, to use items while climbing enemies. Maybe being able to pause only to assign items to a number of slots similar to MH or DS and use them mid-combat. If the game comes with multiplayer, as the supposed leaks said, then it would be 100% guarantee that there would not be healing while paused.

Last edited:

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
What i love particularly about hard mode is that everything is more intense. If a house sized cyclops is swinging a flaming club and it hits you, you are probably dead unless you are superhuman. But you can also kill enemies pretty fast on DD.

Even with subpar gear for BI part 2, using the Great Gamble, i could OHK a boss with 5 life bars.
1pKOiKv.png

One thing that for me is always boring is combat with ZERO lethality due enemies and PC's being arrow/bullet/blow/spell sponges.

A Magick Archer even with great sacrifice can't reach this damage output, because i can aim in the weakspots of enemies.

Citizen

Yeah, I hate when games just multiply enemy HP bars on higher difficulty, that's the way to make higher difficulties more boring than normal lol. DD does it alright by increasing enemy damage and resistance to crowd control, I just wish they didn't increase stamina usage.

Looks like Square Enix might be making a Dragon's Dogma style game. Guess it's no surprise as the FF7 remake is a move in the direction of something similar.

Square Enix is Developing an Action Game With Dragon’s Dogma Lead Ryota Suzuki

Square Enix is staffing up to develop a new action game project, and one of their new recruits is none other than former Capcom developer Ryota Suzuki. This info was revealed on a recruitment PR page for Square Enix, which emphasized the company’s search for developers with skills and experience in AAA titles as well as “action scene and battle part design”. That being the case, Suzuki’s resume fits the bill, as he served at Capcom as a Gameplay Player Lead on Dragon’s Dogma, Game Design Lead on Dragon’s Dogma: Dark Arisen, and as a Designer on Devil May Cry 5. He also helped with programming for Monster Hunter: World and its Iceborn expansion.

The PR page also included a brief interview with Ryota Suzuki, who revealed that he joined Square Enix in 2019, and is Battle Director for the new AAA title. The interview didn’t focus too much on the game, as the page’s purpose was to draw in potential applicants rather than tease details, but it did shed some insights on Square Enix’s motivations and structure. When asked about the timing of the search of experienced action game developers, Suzuki noted that Square Enix is best known for RPGs and command-based battle systems. But with the increase in hardware capabilities over new generations, more and more RPGs have incorporated action elements, making the tools and and talent to develop those types of systems in-house increasingly necessary.

Continuing with the topic of current trends, Suzuki noted that “command battle” games are often thought of as “old-style”, and even marked out by overseas players with the “JRPG” label. He suggested younger players raised on Grand Theft Auto and first-person shooters may not jive with the more static methods of command selection during battle. Square Enix’s long history making more stat-based RPGs and Suzuki’s own experience with action-RPGs (referring to Dragon’s Dogma) would enable the company to establish the capacity to create “high-quality RPGs with world-class action elements”.

It should be noted that the lead designer on Dragon's Dogma was Yoichiro Ikeda, who was also the lead designer on DMC5. And the gameplay lead was Kento Kinoshita, who would later head up Dark Arisen and Dragon's Dogma Online.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Guess it's no surprise as the FF7 remake is a move in the direction of something similar.

FF 7 remake, i only watched a video. Din't liked to be honest
  • The mechanics tends to makes no sense, like bars to use magic and so on
  • Too much blow sponge enemies where enemies can take dozens if hot hundreds of hits before going down
  • Autolock for ranged attacks like Barret
What i love about Dragon's Dogma, is mainly the ranger/longbow gameplay. Longbows are among the most effective weapons of the humankind. Decided a lot of battles, like the Battle of Agincourt, where longbowman in far smaller number, with poor eqquipment, poor moral, surrounded on enemy territory and zero cavalry defeated the French which had far better armor, weapons and even armored cavalry and French lost around 8k soldiers while British only 100. And now, in pop culture, longbows has no range, no offensive capability and are trash on 99% of games. This while Katanas which has a awful guard and no effectiveness vs armor is like a magical lightsaber on most games. Dragon's Dogma is the unique fantasy game that i know which gave the well deserve respect to the longbow.

Increasing enemy HP and Damage is a very lazy way to make the game more "intense".

HP/Damage i agree, but on Dragon's Dogma the health and armor is unchanged. What changes is that enemies has much greater offensive capabilities. For eg, if you have 500 armor and the enemy deals 1000 damage, on normal mode you take 500 damage. On hard mode, he will have probably 2000 damage and you will take 1500 damage. So even if you are lv 200, few hits can kill you. That is amazing. Makes the combat far more intense.

And the Stagg/Knockdown resistance is trippled, on the normal mode, i can easily stagg even the Death and use the gravity to kill Death. On hard mode, it is far harder. Health is unchanged but the stamina consumption is doubled, so you can't spam tenfold furry like on normal mode and needs to conservate and manage more your item usage.

If you plan to use great gamble, you need to bring a lot of stamina recharging items and hard mode changes a lot about the game.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Increasing damage only is still lazy.

Changing the enemies tactics, how they react to your actions, make them more aggressive and their patterns less recognizable is how action games should make combat more intense.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Increasing damage only is still lazy.

I agree, but damage is only one thing which hard mode changes and you never fell danger on normal mode, i love having to avoid being hit by a house sized cyclops with a flaming club, otherwise i an dead. IMO could have more unique enemies and enemies in better "formations" on hard mode.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

Cat Dude

Savant
Why is this thread on Jrpg weaboo discussion board? Dragon's Dogma is a western style rpg made in Japan. Like Dark Souls It also belongs to general rpg discussion board. I hope to see people discuss about Septerra Core here.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
The JRPG subforum hosts all discussion of Japanese-developed RPGs, as well as some non-RPGs by Japanese developers, rather than being limited to the JRPG subgenre. :M

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Why is this thread on Jrpg weaboo discussion board? Dragon's Dogma is a western style rpg made in Japan. Like Dark Souls It also belongs to general rpg discussion board. I hope to see people discuss about Septerra Core here.

If you move this thread to General RPG you ruin it. "Muh mouse and keyboard, weaboo console shit LOL,etc."

Those guys are a Mess.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
If you move this thread to General RPG you ruin it. "Muh mouse and keyboard, weaboo console shit LOL,etc."

I believe that the 3 skill limitation from DD is due consoles/controllers. As a Ranger, i wanna use at least 6 differen longbow skills but i can only use 3... Anyway, you can hate JRPG's a lot(like myself), but Dragon's Dogma and Dark Souls are masterpieces which combines a lot of stuff from JRPG's and WRPG's and i like far more Dragon's Dogma or Dark Souls 1/2/3 than play any post DA:O BioWare game

Wunderbar

Arcane

Those guys are a Mess.
KB&M controls are excellent by the way.

I'm not sure that's so much a controller limitation as much as just wanting to keep things simple. They could have had all the shoulder buttons on the controller be hotkey modifiers. They could have had a menu like FF7R. They could have had skills with follow-up button presses that change what kind of attack comes out...Hawkeye in Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3 has an attack like this. They could have also simply given you a different set of attacks depending if you're on the ground or jumping.

Dragon's Dogma Online has a class (Hunter) that's just the bow, so that's probably something that'll be in Dragon's Dogma 2 as well.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Those guys are a Mess.

I talk in general about the obsession for Mouse and keyboard for every game. When each genre has an optimal control method. Fight Sticks for fighting games, HOTAS for flight sims and controllers for actions games. FPS Mouse and keyboard Obviously.

Fishy

Savant

Those guys are a Mess.

I talk in general about the obsession for Mouse and keyboard for every game. When each genre has an optimal control method. Fight Sticks for fighting games, HOTAS for flight sims and controllers for actions games. FPS Mouse and keyboard Obviously.

DD is one of those games where I mix it. I generally find third person action games more comfortable on controller (more relaxed position of the arms/hands on the lap), but whenever precise quick aiming is required, well, there's no competition. So for DD like for Sleeping Dogs or even Just Cause 3(!) I roll with a controller, but reach for the mouse and keyboard during intense shooting/aiming sequences (or big menuing/inventorying if a proper mouse is supported). For DD that means I often reached for it as a Ranger, but my sting as a Warrior was controller-only.

sullynathan

Arcane
I believe that the 3 skill limitation from DD is due consoles/controllers. As a Ranger, i wanna use at least 6 differen longbow skills but i can only use 3...
Most of the time, these are done on purpose because they want you to mix things up and not because controllers didn't have enough space on them like DMC3

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom