Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Capcom Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

Discussion in 'jRPG Weeaboo Discussion' started by Syril, Dec 2, 2011.

1. Carpincho Pampeano Educated

Carpincho Pampeano
    Son, my first time was with the PS3 version, you understimate in what conditions i can play the game.

• Salute Salute x 5
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  2. Machocruz Arcane

Machocruz
    Another thing about DD vs. Skyrim. Look at the animation. Meticulous, precise, cool, stylish, powerful in DD. Pretty amateur, lacking semblance of thought, care, and style, muddy, janky, in Skyrim. Worse is that Bethesda doesn't seem capable of realistic animations. DDs combat moves are obviously exaggerated for effect, but the biomechanics are far more accurate than Skyrim.

Boggles my mind how any AAA dev can have lousy animations in an age of video footage of nearly everything. I mean Capcom are the GOATs of this shit, but even mid-tier Jap devs do better.

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. DJOGamer PT Arcane

DJOGamer PT
    It's kinda understandable imo
    By itself animation is already a ridiculously difficult skil to learn
    But now 3D animation for action games - specially of the melee kind...
    That's an artform reversed for masters of the trade

They must be clear, stylish, "natural" (in the sense they can't get into the uncanny valley), give a sense of "perceptible power" (even though it's just a bunch of pixel moving in a screen) and lastly in the case of attacks communicate "intention" (what the move is for, how to use it, when to use it, etc...)
    You can't just capture an actor doing acrobatic shit and then just copy paste it into the game files
    Even if you use motion capture most of the work must come from of all the details and polishes done by hand

And here in the west we don't really have a tradition of dedicating so much attention to combat/movement animations like the japs do

Last edited: Mar 20, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Machocruz Arcane

Machocruz
    Good points. I recognize the challenges and I was being dramatic, but Bethesda is very bad at it, even when it comes to basics. Like they've never studied actual human motion before, to have even a decent foundation. Actually don't believe this is some ingrained technical shortcoming, since they have the funds to hire good animators, they just don't give it the necessary attention, like you said.

Mortal Kombat devs are another, possibly worse. Even when they digitized actual performers, because they have no eye for good, real, or convincing martial arts poses/movements and had their actors take up ridiculous ones.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • honk honk! honk honk! x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. DJOGamer PT Arcane

DJOGamer PT
    Dude they have the funds to make the most ambitious and complex ARPG's in the market
    They just don't want to put the effort since larping sandboxes are much easier and profitable to make

• Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. mogwaimon Erudite

mogwaimon
    regarding solo runs I've never done a full solo run but I did find it much easier on the final boss of BBI to just slap the Assassin lone wolf skill on my character and go it alone for that fight (and then I went through the rest of the BBI stuff too) just because he has that one attack that instakills all your pawns if they get sucked in...which they inevitably do...I could see how a solo run of the whole game would be doable especially once you got that skill, it's insane how much damage you put out with it.

^ Top  
  7. Delterius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Delterius
    I think you underestimate the baseline competence necessary to just finish projects in the video games industry. Much less something in Skyrim's scale. Wide as an ocean, deep as a puddle. So the saying on Skyrim goes. But Skyrim isn't the normal. Creating a sandbox larp action rpg bankrupted a company with the backing of the state of Rhode Island. Its not just about money. This is about creating and maintaining a team. Retaining talent and sculpting your pipeline. And what focus you have when doing so. Comparing the combat animations of Skyrim and Dragon's Dogma doesn't get you very far in this regard. It just reminds you that, yes, the people who make Devil May Cry are better at creating Action games than the Gamebryo company. Likewise, take Platinum Games and tell them to make grand strategy. I'd wager there's a 50% the project would go up in flames and completely wreck the studio with talent quitting left and right.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2021
    • Brofist Brofist x 5
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Grimlorn Arcane

Grimlorn
    Why didn't anyone ever mod Warrior to have 6 abilities like all the classes? Shouldn't it be a simple thing to do to copy the other classes' system and use it on the warrior?

• retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Mud' Learned

Mud'
    About to give this game a fourth try, any must have mods in PC?

• incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. fork Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

fork
    Nude mod.

:happytrollboy:

Show Spoiler
    No mods needed. And kidding aside, nude mod is nice, since it's one of the few games where it makes sense in combination with the layered clothing/armor system. There are some graphics mods, like better textures, but they're all very minor.

But why would you give it a fourth try? I mean, it's a great game, but if you'd like it, you surely would've realised during one of those first three times?

^ Top  
  11. Zed Duke of Banville Zo Kath Ra Patron

Zed Duke of Banville
    If you're playing off-line, there's a Hired Pawn Inclinations mod that allows you to set the primary and secondary inclinations for all randomized pawns, greatly easing the process of finding viable new pawns.

If you dislike the Arisen having a permanent scar, there's a mod that removes it.

Also, someone created a mod that fixes the bug with the Inflection augment, causing it to have the opposite effect from what was intended, that was introduced with the Dark Arisen expansion on PS3 and never fixed by Capcom (edit: it seems Capcom did finally fix this bug, in a patch released December 2017, nearly two years after the PC release).:greatjob:

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Black Arcane

Black
    Talk about your favourite vocation and why is it Strider.

^ Top  
  13. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    You got a damn funny way of spelling Warrior.

• Prestigious x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • feels good man x 1
    • Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Delterius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Delterius
    i like my daggers only strider pawn becus he distracts the beasts

^ Top  
  15. PirateScum Scholar

PirateScum
    They're masterworks, all. You can't go wrong.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Citizen Guest

Citizen

This will be DD2 gameplay

• Kitty Kitty x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Doggy Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Alphard Erudite

Alphard
    Those kitties have low stamina. Probably leveled too much as mage or warrior

• Funny x 4
    • Despair x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Fishy Savant

Fishy
    I'm a complete Ranger-Tenfold-Flurry-nuke retard, but have to say, I enjoyed Warrior a lot as a side gig at times.

^ Top  
  19. Reinhardt Arcane

Reinhardt
    GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • How about this as a button How about this as a button x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Delterius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Delterius
    misogyny*

• cuck cuck x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Perkel Arcane

Perkel
    Some new "leaks" from 4chan about DD2

• FAKE NEWS x 4
    • meh x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • [citation needed] x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    • Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Shrimp Learned

Shrimp
    I feel like I've seen this exact post with this exact wording in numerous places on the internet for at least a year. We know from the Capcom leaks that DD2 was in an unspecified stage of development, but I'll believe the actual details when I see it.

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Assisted Living Godzilla Cipher

Assisted Living Godzilla
    Monster Hunter Rise would seem to throw a little wrench into that "leak" given it's a Switch game running on RE Engine with large levels and from what I've heard it runs even better than World did despite being on weaker hardware.

There was a leaker (that one that leaked RE8) talking about Capcom working on RE Engine for larger environments. They guessed it was probably for Dragon's Dogma 2, (and it probably also was for that) but that was also before Rise was announced and they said it would also be on RE Engine as oppose to MT like World was.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Perkel Arcane

Perkel
    Rise asbolutely doesn't work better than World. It is 30fps with dips. Moreover its "levels" are nowhere near complexity of World. They are essentially just bigger levels with PSP like quality.

Whatever they will go for World 2 with RE engine or MT it all depends on RE ability to scale up to really big maps. Which is even bigger question when we talk about Dragon's Dogma which should have incomparable bigger world to MH maps.

Personally i am hopeful that they didn't scrap Panta Rhei engine and will reuse it for DD2:

• FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Citizen Guest

Citizen
    It's on switch tho

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.