Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Capcom Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

Shrimp

Arbiter
Well, the "including:" part suggests that there may be more games than just the four that appear on the list...

Anonona

Learned

No mention of DD2

Jesus fucking Christ, I swear to God I'll die before seeing a sequel to this game. A just want one more DD, just one more that polishes the problems of the first one and is actually finished. No other game really fills the niche that DDs does, no one else really had try to do an open world action RPG which combat system doesn't suck fucking balls. It may not be perfect, but man do I love it. Before this fucking industry goes down in flames, I just want to play Dragon's Dogma 2.

Is there any chance it will announced in the Summer Game Fest instead or something? Supposedly Capcom is going to be in that event too. Or is all the same shit?

VonMiskov

Educated
Is there some mod that makes the UI more user friendly? I gave up on the game after spending 5 minutes exiting all the menus everytime I had to do anything with the inventory.

Mud'

Scholar
Didn't someone say that after DMC V CAPCOM would make DD2? Who was that liar?

The director of DMC and DD, Hideaki Itsuno, he chose Dante dick first but if the same care is put into DD2 as DMC V and all recent Capcom games, i think that DD2 could be a GOTY counteder.

Also that tweet is just for Capcom panel, keep in mind that DMC V, RE7/RE2:R and Mon Hun were never shown in a Capcom panel.

They were announced either in a Sony or Microsoft conference, Capcom right now is on Sony side but i hope that Microsoft will have some Capcom related stuff.

Old Hans

Arcane
What even happened to Deep Down? Did it just get scrapped?
it probably got scrapped. I do recall some gameplay footage from years ago at some Japanese game expo. graphically it looked great but the gameplay was pretty dull. I think they were trying to design randomized dungeons. looking back it was probably too ambitious for those shitty old consoles

Suicidal

Arcane
DD 2 will come out after Elden Ring, which will come out after Star Citizen. :troll:

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Is there some mod that makes the UI more user friendly? I gave up on the game after spending 5 minutes exiting all the menus everytime I had to do anything with the inventory.
NexusMods has 11 user interface mods for Dragon's Dogma, none of which actually attempt to improve the UI to PC standards from their console origins. :M

However, Dragon's Dogma is such an incredible game that you'll be happy to spend dozens of hours dealing with a clunky UI. +M

fork

Just another reminder that there's no way a sequel would do the original justice. Just replay Dragon's Dogma and think hard whether a game as good as this could be released in that form in current year. And then think what changes would be likely. Things that will without any doubt be dumbed down in some way or another (excuse if I focus on the obvious stuff here to make my point and keep the post somewhat brief, there'd be more than these):

character creation: no way they'd allow us to choose boob size or attractive female faces/body types, not to mention create lolis, grandmas, manly men or dwarfs. Look at Monster Hunter: World's character creator and how poor that shit is to get an idea of what to expect. Do you think they'll implement consequences for different body sizes/strength like running speed, different encumberance limits or places you can enter only as a child/midget?
layered clothing/armor system: no way they'd give us "clothing" slots on top of the armor slots. They can't even get clipping under control in way more simple armor systems like Monster Hunter. Also there will be no skimpy armors at all anymore. I also doubt the upgrading/dragon forging system will be nearly as satisfying as it is in Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen.
the class and skill system, character customisation: I don't think there will be nearly as many different skills as there were in Dragon's Dogma, and I don't think they'll be nearly as cool as they were, especially talking about stuff like sorcerer spells and movement skills such as levitation. I also don't think there's going to be something like augments, which carry over between vocations etc. Whatever the changes would be here, it would be dumbed down compared DDDA.
combat: I don't think combat will work like it used to, not under the hood, and also not from a gameplay perspective. I think they'll nerve resistances; being unable to hurt an enemy in an action rpg just doesn't fly in current year, which happened frequently in DDDA, simply because you didn't break the resistance barriers of the enemy. I don't think mounting will be the same and probably closer to the shit that's in Monster Hunter, where mounting is a glorified QTE (if it makes it into the game at all).

Jesus, the list goes on and on. I don't think enemy variety will be comparable, even though it felt kinda small in DDDA already. I don't think the world will be as interesting (or more interesting, but in a theme park sense..) with some places only reachable with skills like double vault/levitation, fast travel will be way more easily available, the quest compass will be even worse than it was, probably intruding into the HUD. I don't think there are going to be as many weapons, armors, consumables and materials. I don't think there will be different solutions to some quests or C&C (as basic as most of that was, it made the game better!). Music will be dumbed down etc.

Keep in mind, it's been almost 10 years since Dragon's Dogma's release. Reading the posts of anticipation here almost hurts. If even Codexers haven't learned that a sequel to a game like Dragon's Dogma almost always means decline, especially nowadays, then the state of the gaming industry is really not that surpising anymore.

Generic-Giant-Spider

The worst things I could see happening is them making DD into some sort of shitty and overdone roguelike and shedding a lot of the RPG systems in favor of super fast paced gameplay. There will likely be some form of progression but it will feel hollow and boring with small boosts to what little stats exist.

Incline would be taking what they had with DA and expanding on it along with more vocations, more enemies, pretty much more everything that they did right.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Itsuno probably learned his lesson after overscoping DD1, and the new game will be less ambitious. Plus, Capcom's absurd insistence on photorealism and photogrammetry will make it harder to create new monster assets. RE games really suffered from this, personally I blame low enemy variety, huge amount of recycling and linear level design on photogrammetry.

I swear to god there will be blood spilled if DD2 reuses the red bolt cutters again.

Last edited:

Anonona

Learned
I know I'm probably being optimistic, but if DD2 is in development and Itsuno spearheads the project there is a decent chance of it being good. I mean, after 12 years we got DMC5, which had some flaws but was overall a fantastic sequel. He hasn't really disappointed yet, with his weakest project like DMC4 being still a good game that added significant evolution to the saga's mechanics. Gameplay wise I think DD2 would probably be as good if not better than the first.

But this:

character creation: no way they'd allow us to choose boob size or attractive female faces/body types, not to mention create lolis, grandmas, manly men or dwarfs. Look at Monster Hunter: World's character creator and how poor that shit is to get an idea of what to expect. Do you think they'll implement consequences for different body sizes/strength like running speed, different encumberance limits or places you can enter only as a child/midget?

This is my biggest fear. There is no fucking way Capcom isn't going to limit the character creator in order to avoid "controversy". It would be a fucking miracle if they didn't. Hoping that games like Phantasy Start Online 2 Genesis having an in depth editor that allowed pretty much any kind of character and body is an indication that is not impossible to release a character creator like the first DD in the west, but man, I don't have high hopes.

fork

The worst things I could see happening is them making DD into some sort of shitty and overdone roguelike and shedding a lot of the RPG systems in favor of super fast paced gameplay. There will likely be some form of progression but it will feel hollow and boring with small boosts to what little stats exist.

I kinda disagree, because that would be a totally different game. While that would be disappointing for sure, it's far from the worst case scenario that I envision (and think is actually the most likely to happen), which is a game that would superflously resemble Dragon's Dogma: nice open world (lolwut?)*, great graphics, cool enemies, cool looking combat, seemingly intricate skill system and character customisation, some kind of pawn system etc., a game that the press and normies (and thus three quartes of the Codex at least) would praise like the second coming of Christ, but that turned out to old fans upon further inspection to be but a shadow of its former self or even worse, a mockery of the original; fewer skills, fewer weapons, fewer armors, fewer consumables and upgrade materials, less freedom, worse combat, more handholding.

*notice how Dragon's Dogma is one of the few 3D action games (or even the only one imo) that managed to get Open World right.

Incline would be taking what they had with DA and expanding on it along with more vocations, more enemies, pretty much more everything that they did right.

And, if you're honest, how likely do you think is that going to be?

Just to drive my point home a couple more examples of what I'm sure will be gutted in some way:

Nights that matter: if there will be dymanic day-/night-cylcle, I doubt the nights will be as dark and threatening, and I doubt there will be different enemies about.
Counterfeiting: while there may be something like the Black Cat, I seriously doubt you'll be able to counterfeit pretty much every single item in the game and the mechanic being as interesting; in Dragon's Dogma you can make forgeries of some quest items, which sometimes allowed you to finish the quest normally, sometimes it would help you finish the quest, but lead to a different outcome. Some forgeries were perfect copies in all aspects, others only in some ways etc. You can pretty much duplicate every single upgrade material, but it always takes a whole day. Some find that tedious, but it's the perfect balancing mechanism, which will be dumbed down for sure: we'll either be unable to counterfeit anything, or not some things like upgrade materials etc., or the whole thing is going to be instantaneous, thus make material farming a thing of the past altogether.
Status effects and remedies: I don't think there will be nearly as many and as interesting status effects, for all of which existed resistances on certain armor parts, and different herbs which served as remedies: petrification, blindness, sleep, torpor... you really think these will be in an action RPG in current year (in the form that DDDA did them)?

Or just one more combat example: You could mount a Drake, Wyvern or whatever, which could then take into the air and make you fall to your death. Sorry, something like that won't return, hope as you may.

Dragon's Dogma was a happy accident, and it will be a long time before we'll get something similar or comparable again, if ever. There's not a single mechanic or system I think will remain intact in a sequel, let alone be improved upon.

Last edited by a moderator:

fork

One reason why skills will be dumbed down:

Skills like Bolide, Seism and Maelstrom for example are balanced by the long casting times. I'm pretty sure those casting times wouldn't fly with a focus group nowadays. But since these casting times are needed in order to at least somewhat balance these mighty spells, and since implementing spells like these would also eat quite some budget, there's no way spells like those will remain im the game.

I'm about to start rambling again, so I'll stop here.
Just know that I know I'm right. :3

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom