Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Capcom Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

Discussion in 'jRPG Weeaboo Discussion' started by Syril, Dec 2, 2011.

1. Generic-Giant-Spider Arcane

Generic-Giant-Spider
    WHERE THE FUCK IS THIS DRAGON'S DOGMA 2 GAME

HOLY SHIT

molts HARD

• Bro, do you even lift? Bro, do you even lift? x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. fork Scholar

fork
    Just another reminder that there's no way a sequel would do the original justice. Just replay Dragon's Dogma and think hard whether a game as good as this could be released in that form in current year. And then think what changes would be likely. Things that will without any doubt be dumbed down in some way or another (excuse if I focus on the obvious stuff here to make my point and keep the post somewhat brief, there'd be more than these):

character creation: no way they'd allow us to choose boob size or attractive female faces/body types, not to mention create lolis, grandmas, manly men or dwarfs. Look at Monster Hunter: World's character creator and how poor that shit is to get an idea of what to expect. Do you think they'll implement consequences for different body sizes/strength like running speed, different encumberance limits or places you can enter only as a child/midget?
    layered clothing/armor system: no way they'd give us "clothing" slots on top of the armor slots. They can't even get clipping under control in way more simple armor systems like Monster Hunter. Also there will be no skimpy armors at all anymore. I also doubt the upgrading/dragon forging system will be nearly as satisfying as it is in Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen.
    the class and skill system, character customisation: I don't think there will be nearly as many different skills as there were in Dragon's Dogma, and I don't think they'll be nearly as cool as they were, especially talking about stuff like sorcerer spells and movement skills such as levitation. I also don't think there's going to be something like augments, which carry over between vocations etc. Whatever the changes would be here, it would be dumbed down compared DDDA.
    combat: I don't think combat will work like it used to, not under the hood, and also not from a gameplay perspective. I think they'll nerve resistances; being unable to hurt an enemy in an action rpg just doesn't fly in current year, which happened frequently in DDDA, simply because you didn't break the resistance barriers of the enemy. I don't think mounting will be the same and probably closer to the shit that's in Monster Hunter, where mounting is a glorified QTE (if it makes it into the game at all).

Jesus, the list goes on and on. I don't think enemy variety will be comparable, even though it felt kinda small in DDDA already. I don't think the world will be as interesting (or more interesting, but in a theme park sense..) with some places only reachable with skills like double vault/levitation, fast travel will be way more easily available, the quest compass will be even worse than it was, probably intruding into the HUD. I don't think there are going to be as many weapons, armors, consumables and materials. I don't think there will be different solutions to some quests or C&C (as basic as most of that was, it made the game better!). Music will be dumbed down etc.

Keep in mind, it's been almost 10 years since Dragon's Dogma's release. Reading the posts of anticipation here almost hurts. If even Codexers haven't learned that a sequel to a game like Dragon's Dogma almost always means decline, especially nowadays, then the state of the gaming industry is really not that surpising anymore.

• Despair Despair x 7
    • decline decline x 1
    • I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Generic-Giant-Spider Arcane

Generic-Giant-Spider
    The worst things I could see happening is them making DD into some sort of shitty and overdone roguelike and shedding a lot of the RPG systems in favor of super fast paced gameplay. There will likely be some form of progression but it will feel hollow and boring with small boosts to what little stats exist.

Incline would be taking what they had with DA and expanding on it along with more vocations, more enemies, pretty much more everything that they did right.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Wunderbar Arcane

Wunderbar
    Itsuno probably learned his lesson after overscoping DD1, and the new game will be less ambitious. Plus, Capcom's absurd insistence on photorealism and photogrammetry will make it harder to create new monster assets. RE games really suffered from this, personally I blame low enemy variety, huge amount of recycling and linear level design on photogrammetry.

I swear to god there will be blood spilled if DD2 reuses the red bolt cutters again.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
    • Despair Despair x 6
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Anonona Learned

Anonona
    I know I'm probably being optimistic, but if DD2 is in development and Itsuno spearheads the project there is a decent chance of it being good. I mean, after 12 years we got DMC5, which had some flaws but was overall a fantastic sequel. He hasn't really disappointed yet, with his weakest project like DMC4 being still a good game that added significant evolution to the saga's mechanics. Gameplay wise I think DD2 would probably be as good if not better than the first.

But this:

This is my biggest fear. There is no fucking way Capcom isn't going to limit the character creator in order to avoid "controversy". It would be a fucking miracle if they didn't. Hoping that games like Phantasy Start Online 2 Genesis having an in depth editor that allowed pretty much any kind of character and body is an indication that is not impossible to release a character creator like the first DD in the west, but man, I don't have high hopes.

^ Top  
  6. fork Scholar

fork
    I kinda disagree, because that would be a totally different game. While that would be disappointing for sure, it's far from the worst case scenario that I envision (and think is actually the most likely to happen), which is a game that would superflously resemble Dragon's Dogma: nice open world (lolwut?)*, great graphics, cool enemies, cool looking combat, seemingly intricate skill system and character customisation, some kind of pawn system etc., a game that the press and normies (and thus three quartes of the Codex at least) would praise like the second coming of Christ, but that turned out to old fans upon further inspection to be but a shadow of its former self or even worse, a mockery of the original; fewer skills, fewer weapons, fewer armors, fewer consumables and upgrade materials, less freedom, worse combat, more handholding.

*notice how Dragon's Dogma is one of the few 3D action games (or even the only one imo) that managed to get Open World right.

And, if you're honest, how likely do you think is that going to be?

Just to drive my point home a couple more examples of what I'm sure will be gutted in some way:

Nights that matter: if there will be dymanic day-/night-cylcle, I doubt the nights will be as dark and threatening, and I doubt there will be different enemies about.
    Counterfeiting: while there may be something like the Black Cat, I seriously doubt you'll be able to counterfeit pretty much every single item in the game and the mechanic being as interesting; in Dragon's Dogma you can make forgeries of some quest items, which sometimes allowed you to finish the quest normally, sometimes it would help you finish the quest, but lead to a different outcome. Some forgeries were perfect copies in all aspects, others only in some ways etc. You can pretty much duplicate every single upgrade material, but it always takes a whole day. Some find that tedious, but it's the perfect balancing mechanism, which will be dumbed down for sure: we'll either be unable to counterfeit anything, or not some things like upgrade materials etc., or the whole thing is going to be instantaneous, thus make material farming a thing of the past altogether.
    Status effects and remedies: I don't think there will be nearly as many and as interesting status effects, for all of which existed resistances on certain armor parts, and different herbs which served as remedies: petrification, blindness, sleep, torpor... you really think these will be in an action RPG in current year (in the form that DDDA did them)?

Or just one more combat example: You could mount a Drake, Wyvern or whatever, which could then take into the air and make you fall to your death. Sorry, something like that won't return, hope as you may.

Dragon's Dogma was a happy accident, and it will be a long time before we'll get something similar or comparable again, if ever. There's not a single mechanic or system I think will remain intact in a sequel, let alone be improved upon.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
    • I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. fork Scholar

fork
    One reason why skills will be dumbed down:

Skills like Bolide, Seism and Maelstrom for example are balanced by the long casting times. I'm pretty sure those casting times wouldn't fly with a focus group nowadays. But since these casting times are needed in order to at least somewhat balance these mighty spells, and since implementing spells like these would also eat quite some budget, there's no way spells like those will remain im the game.

I'm about to start rambling again, so I'll stop here.
    Just know that I know I'm right. :3

• No No x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Assisted Living Godzilla Cipher

Assisted Living Godzilla
    Gabel, nothing you are saying seems to be based on anything. The combat centric worries seem especially weird, and I have no idea why you'd think they'd just randomly change the whole style of gameplay.

The only not completely out of left field thing that I could see happening with a Dragon's Dogma 2 that some people might not like is designs for things like monsters and armor not being as traditional as they were in the original. Like I could see that since the original Dragon's Dogma was made more with the Western audience in mind, it was targeting the West more, but it ended up (at least on release, not I'm sure if things have changed) selling better in Japan. You look at the Japanese only Online game, and it's got more Japanese kinds of designs; even things like big wizard hats and monsters like the Gorecyclops didn't make it into this game until Dark Arisen. But then those were directed by Kento Kinoshita, and Itsuno did the original base game...so that kind of thing could do either way. Personally I could do with some weird fucking monsters in a new DD, and was a little surprised some monsters weren't more grotesque looking the most allusions saw to Berserk as the game went on. Although the game already has some pretty fucking weird looking wolves.

I also wouldn't worry about them doing or not doing something just because a Monster Hunter game made by a totally different teams in Capcom did something.

I also can't really imagine a new Dragon's Dogma having fewer classes with less skills and core things about the class systems just going away. If anything, based on Itsuno's past games, I'd expect more stuff and more freedom to customize if it's going one direction or the other.

I'd be surprised if armor layering didn't come back given how much work they seemed to do to allow you to do that in this game. There's a little part in the GDC video on the game where they talk about this stuff, it was a big core feature they wanted. I'm actually a little surprised more MT games never used it. Your stats are also directed tied into how big or small, and slim or fat you make your character, so I can't see that going.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
    • Brofist Brofist x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. HoboForEternity sunset tequila Patron

HoboForEternity
    Everything you said is int DDO, so no reason why it shouldn't be in 2. Plus it give reason to reuse animation and some assets

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Black Arcane

Black
    That's not a good thing.

^ Top  
  11. Machocruz Arcane

Machocruz
    DD was produced during a generation of peak decline. The era of the most lobotomized game design. Need we go over the list of NSF casualties? So I'm not too worried aside from Capcoms social justice agenda. The hypocrites jacking their twig dicks to G-cup milking videos while denying players the pleasure of endowing their character with massive mammaries.

^ Top  
  12. Delterius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Delterius
    what the fuck do you think dragons dogma was released in 1937 in the era of crusty true rpg players? lmfao its a beat'em up

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
    • Funny Funny x 6
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • nice nice x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. HoboForEternity sunset tequila Patron

HoboForEternity
    is capcom presentation today?
    burn them if there's no DD2

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 4
    • Deus Vult Deus Vult x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Shrimp Learned

Shrimp
    Yes, CAPCOM's presentation is at 22:30 BST / 14:30 PDT.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. fork Scholar

fork
    Focus group 2012 vs focus group 2022, which is better and why? Discuss.

^ Top  
  16. Wunderbar Arcane

Wunderbar
    [​IMG]
    this is from 2007

• Funny x 2
    • Despair x 2
    • NPC #61873 came up with this opinion all by his / herself x 1
    • /facepalm/ x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. fork Scholar

fork
  18. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Lol coomer

• Funny Funny x 3
    ^ Top  
  19. Shrimp Learned

Shrimp
    Truly ahead of his time

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Shinji Learned

Shinji
    After 9 years, the day has finally arrived :bounce:

• [citation needed] [citation needed] x 3
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 3
    • No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Generic-Giant-Spider Arcane

Generic-Giant-Spider
    ITZ KKKOMING

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 3
    ^ Top  
  22. Diablo1_reborn Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic Patron

Diablo1_reborn
    Are we actually expecting a DD2 trailer?

• No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Shrimp Learned

Shrimp
    I want to believe

• "It was Aliens" "It was Aliens" x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Generic-Giant-Spider Arcane

Generic-Giant-Spider
    Got my goddamn BEER HAT on ready for INCLINE to come and fuck my eyes.

• Cheers!! Cheers!! x 2
    • Despair Despair x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Jinn Arcane

Jinn
    Fucking terrible presentation.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.