Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Capcom Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
...revealing that my character loves woman that are half his size.
At least your character doesn't love Fournival instead :lol:

Obligatory

iu

Suicidal

Arcane
I have a feeling that DD2 will be watered down and generic-ified and will have nothing that made DD1 great. The original Dragon's Dogma was released a few years after Dark Souls 1 and back then nobody except a few autists on 4chan gave a shit about Dark Souls. Now the Souls franchise is beloved even by normies and everyone and their grandmas are making soulslikes so I have this gut feeling that DD2 will also be closer to a soulslike than DD1.

Please say it isn't so boys but I just can't shake this feeling that this is what we will be getting :negative:

Anonona

Learned
I have a feeling that DD2 will be watered down and generic-ified and will have nothing that made DD1 great. The original Dragon's Dogma was released a few years after Dark Souls 1 and back then nobody except a few autists on 4chan gave a shit about Dark Souls. Now the Souls franchise is beloved even by normies and everyone and their grandmas are making soulslikes so I have this gut feeling that DD2 will also be closer to a soulslike than DD1.

Please say it isn't so boys but I just can't shake this feeling that this is what we will be getting :negative:

It depends. What is your opinion of Devil May Cry 5, if you have any? That game was directed by Itsuno, the director of Dragon's Dogma, and just like DD, it was a sort of pet project. DMC 4 didn't receive a true sequel until eleven years later, just a spin-off/soft-reboot by another team. DMC 5 may be a good indicator of what we could expect of DD2 in terms of quality and sticking to the roots, so to speak.

PS: Quote and a source of Dragon's Dogma being Itsuno's pet project

“When I was a child I always had this dream of making a realistic fantasy open world game, and now I’m able to make that dream a reality,” he says. “It’s a first for Capcom, so we really hope that it’s received well. We’re doing our best to make it a great game.”

https://www.videogamer.com/features...aki-itsuno-is-taking-on-skyrim-and-the-world/

Suicidal

Arcane

It depends. What is your opinion of Devil May Cry 5, if you have any? That game was directed by Itsuno, the director of Dragon's Dogma, and just like DD, it was a sort of pet project. DMC 4 didn't receive a true sequel until eleven years later, just a spin-off/soft-reboot by another team. DMC 5 may be a good indicator of what we could expect of DD2 in terms of quality and sticking to the roots, so to speak.

I liked DMC 5, one of the very rare games I didn't regret buying on release at full price, although in some ways it felt like a step back from 3.

The difference between these 2 scenarios, however, is that DMC was already a long running franchise with mostly consistent gameplay before 5 came out, while DD so far consists of a single game, so way fewer people would be pissed off if they change something drastically.

Anonona

Learned
I liked DMC 5, one of the very rare games I didn't regret buying on release at full price, although in some ways it felt like a step back from 3.

The difference between these 2 scenarios, however, is that DMC was already a long running franchise with mostly consistent gameplay before 5 came out, while DD so far consists of a single game, so way fewer people would be pissed off if they change something drastically.

Well, Itsuno did make DMC3 too after the disaster that was DMC2, and at that point nobody could really call it a franchise. His work has been quite consistent through the years. He even did DMC 4, which just as DD was unfinished due to Capcom's decision of releasing it early and unfinished just as DD, yet manage to innovate and improve the already good combat system. Of course it is possible for him to fuck up DD2, but I take solace in the fact that the man has been consistently good and dedicated to his fanbase through all these years. Even with its flaws, the fact that DMC 5 even exists in this day and age is quite remarkable, no reason why DD2 couldn't be a worthy sequel

PS: I'm not sure what citation you request, so I'll try to post what seems relevant.

First, about DMC 4 development and how it pretty much was unfinished:
https://www.dsogaming.com/news/hide...lf-re-used-levels-due-to-budget-restrictions/

And a link to the interview where Itsuno talks about the lack of budget for DMC4

If it is about him making DMC3 after the disaster that was DMC2, then I guess the next link talks a bit about how he was unhappy with being given DMC2 midway through development and wanted to redeem himself with DMC 3

https://www.siliconera.com/devil-ma...-opens-up-about-devil-may-cry-2s-development/

If it is about him being consistent through the years, it is a bit trickier to offer sources, as it is a bit of a subjective statement. If we only account for the games he had directed since DMC2, then the list would be:

DMC3, Auto Modellista, DMC4, Dragon's Dogma and DMC5, without mentioning the Special Editions.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hideaki_Itsuno
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1393914/

With exception of Auto Modellista, you can look up the general opinions of the fanbase about each game or their scores in pages like Metacritic, but I will venture to say that they were for the most part positively received.

Now if the citation was about DMC 4 improving over DMC 3 combat, then I guess it was more of a subjective observation, cannot really offer citations there, sorry.

Last edited:

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
however, is that DMC was already a long running franchise

To add on to what Anonona said, I it's important to also note that Itsuno was going to leave Capcom after the trashfire that was DmC
The only reason he stayed was because the Capcom executives, not wanting to lose their oldest game director, pretty much let him do whatever his next project was with unprecendented freedom

Just Google: itsuno resign capcom

I think it's safe to say that if he is indeed the one making DD2, then like with DMC5 he has carte blanche from Capcom

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Don't be silly, this is just an industry wide April Fools joke!
Why they chose to break God's people hearts, instead of joking about Lost of Us 3 and triggering its pedophile fan base.

Puukko

Arcane
Okay, I just had a legitimate mind blown moment. I was looking at the lyrics for Coils of Light which I have listened to lots of times over the years:

I scrolled to the bottom of the wiki page and thought there must have been a mistake, but no:

It's sung by a boy.

"The English version is sung by William Montgomery."

My immediate first thought was that the soft spoken woman singing must have trooned out, I didn't even consider that it might have been a choir boy.

Was this common knowledge or immediately obvious to some? I must have listened to the song a couple dozen times and never once suspected so I just feel dumb now.

SumDrunkGuy

Okay, I just had a legitimate mind blown moment. I was looking at the lyrics for Coils of Light which I have listened to lots of times over the years:

I scrolled to the bottom of the wiki page and thought there must have been a mistake, but no:

It's sung by a boy.

My immediate first thought was that the soft spoken woman singing must have trooned out, I didn't even consider that it might have been a choir boy.

Was this common knowledge or immediately obvious to some? I must have listened to the song a couple dozen times and never once suspected so I just feel dumb now.

Wow Jared Fogle, calm down.

Silverfish

Arbiter

It's sung by a boy.

What are you even talking about, dude? Into Free is the only song from Dragon's Dogma.

SumDrunkGuy

You wanna talk about Dragon's Dogma music you talk about this shit:

That fuckin opening and those epic guitar shreds man. Fuck yeah.

Black

Arcane

It's sung by a boy.

Wow Jared Fogle, calm down.

Yes, castrated boys have lovely voices.

Generic-Giant-Spider

I just want a sequel to be announced man. Don't give me a trailer, just tell me it's in the cards. That's all I need.

Generic-Giant-Spider

NO IT'S FUCKING NOT.

WE'RE ALL JUST HERE PRAYING AND HOPING BUT EVERY DAY IS THE GODDAMN SAME HERE.

NO NEW INFO, NO NEW TRAILS, NO NEW POSSIBILITIES.

WE WAKE UP IN THE SAME FOREST IN A NEVER ENDING TIME LOOP.

AND WHAT THE FUCK ARE THESE STICK FIGURES MAN

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
NO IT'S FUCKING NOT.

WE'RE ALL JUST HERE PRAYING AND HOPING BUT EVERY DAY IS THE GODDAMN SAME HERE.

NO NEW INFO, NO NEW TRAILS, NO NEW POSSIBILITIES.

WE WAKE UP IN THE SAME FOREST IN A NEVER ENDING TIME LOOP.

AND WHAT THE FUCK ARE THESE STICK FIGURES MAN
You wanted someone to tell you it's in the cards and when someone does you get upset?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom