Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon's Dogma II - "They’re masterworks, all – you can’t go wrong"

Machocruz

Arcane
DD's time has come. This is going to hit big and establish it as one of the It series. No one can deny the footage shown so far. The rest of the world will realize what we already knew. There's ideas that are past overdue, the industry has progressed little past the 90s when it comes to presenting medieval fantasy adventure, other games are like museum displays, static relics. Physics, movement, interactivity, style, spirit, etc., everyone else is still at the Oblivion level in comparison to DD2. Things other games only describe in text, these games show you in real time.

Dishonoredbr

Erudite
New Playstation blog post about DD2.

New Dragon’s Dogma 2 trailer showcases Warfarer vocation, out March 22​

New Dragon’s Dogma 2 trailer showcases Warfarer vocation, out March 22

Like thisShare this on Facebook (opens in a new window)Share this on Twitter (opens in a new window)
New trailer reveals a new vocation and the calamitous dragonsplague illness.
9a0c4075e2332558d21174ffcd04ad80929f98ec.jpg

Ken MendozaPromotion Producer, Capcom
Hi PlayStation Blog readers! We are very excited to share the newest trailer for Dragon’s Dogma 2 revealed today during State of Play. In this article we will be diving deeper into some of the information revealed in it: the brand new Warfarer vocation, the vocation maisters, and the mysterious dragonsplague.
Play Video
New Dragon’s Dogma 2 trailer showcases Warfarer vocation, out March 22

Introducing the Warfarer vocation​

Wield a greatsword, chant high-level magick, and deceive enemies with illusions. The Warfarer is a vocation that allows you to engage in combat while switching between the weapons of other vocations.
The Warfarer is a vocation exclusive to the main character, the Arisen. Warfarers can use all weapon types and learn the core skills of all vocations. It is the “ultimate vocation,” so to speak. Some vocations excel at close combat, or are skilled at support, and the Warfarer can utilize the strengths of each vocation as the situation demands. The Warfarer has the potential to release powerful combos, such as using Trickster skills to deceive enemies and open opportunities to chant powerful attack magick.
However, the Warfarer is not an all-mighty vocation. Their basic stats are not high, and they must carry many weapons in order to use their various skills. They will require the player’s skill to exploit strengths in different situations, or else the vocation will remain a lesser version of each of the respective vocations.
Only those who have honed their skills and adaptability will be able to bring out the full potential of this vocation.

Create an ice platform with your archistaff and attack the enemy with a greatsword. It is up to the player to connect combos utilizing different weapons.

Vocation maisters​

Around the world of Dragon’s Dogma 2, there are vocation maisters, who have mastered their respective vocations.
Lennart, the Fighter vocation maister: a swordsman with remarkable combat and leadership skills.
Lennart, the Fighter vocation maister: a swordsman with remarkable combat and leadership skills.
The vocation maister for the Mystic Spearhand, Sigurd. He wanders from place to place seeking out dragons.
The vocation maister for the Mystic Spearhand, Sigurd. He wanders from place to place seeking out dragons
As you deepen your relationship with vocation maisters and earn their approval, they may grant you special tomes that will allow you to unlock new vocations or acquire skills known as “maister’s teachings”. Can you find all the vocation maisters?
The Maister’s Teaching for the Archer, Heavenly Shot. This fires an arrow of maximum power in exchange for consuming all of the player’s stamina.
The Maister’s Teaching for the Archer, Heavenly Shot. This fires an arrow of maximum power in exchange for consuming all of the player’s stamina.
Wild Furie, the Maister’s Teaching for the Mystic Spearhand. Creating a double out of magick, it allows the player to deal both magick and physical damage.
Wild Furie, the Maister’s Teaching for the Mystic Spearhand. Creating a double out of magick, it allows the player to deal both magick and physical damage.

Dragonsplague​

Dragonsplague is a contagious disease-like status that infects Pawns under certain conditions. While affected, the Pawn’s basic stats will improve and their behavior will change. It spreads among Pawns on their travels between worlds, and in the early stages of the illness, the afflicted Pawn won’t fall ill, but rather displays abilities and confidence that exceed what they would normally have. In the later stages of the illness, however, the dragonsplague is said to result in devastating calamity. There is little information on dragonsplague in this world, and its veracity is questionable, nor is it clear what the devastating calamity refers to.
It seems to be a rare illness, but if someone in the party is unnaturally bossy or overly active, they may have contracted dragonsplague. Should you look for a cure? Or will you see it as a positive boost to their strength and continue your journey? Again, the decision is up to the player.
As the illness advances, the Pawn’s appearance seems to be affected.
As the illness advances, the Pawn’s appearance seems to be affected.
That’s all for today, thank you for reading! You can pre-order the Standard Edition or the Digital Deluxe Edition of Dragon’s Dogma 2 now at PlayStation Store. Dragon’s Dogma 2 will release worldwide on March 22.

Dishonoredbr

Erudite
Their basic stats are not high, and they must carry many weapons in order to use their various skills.
So their way to balance Warfarer is to limit your stats AND carry weight as big disavantage. It doesn't really matter that you can use all Skills if you can't CARRY all weapons necessary.

Also
Should you look for a cure? Or will you see it as a positive boost to their strength and continue your journey? Again, the decision is up to the player.
Choice and Consequences. :incline:

Crayll

Liturgist
The dragonsplague stuff is interesting. I was expecting it to just be a story element, not an actual gameplay mechanic.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
https://www.reddit.com/r/DragonsDog.../?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3
People are saying that stats are no longer shared between vocations so your level 10 warrior will always have the same stats no matter in which vocations had been playing previously. So the warfarer will always have weaker stats than the other vocations.
Impossible to minmax stat :(

Or hopefully it works like crystal project or other similar FF V class system. Changing class change a modifier on your stats , but not everything. If you level up mage and change to warrior you will get slight boosts but isnt higher than "native" warrior chars

No, this is actually better having stats based on what you've moved into, both for balancing and for only having a single save slot.

The reason a single save sucked in DD is because you had to tool around if you wanted a warrior, a mage, an archer, etc. and cared about having gimpy stats. This way, you can play the classes you want to and experiment without screwing yourself. This is an objective improvement imo for what they've gone for.

I even don't mind the flipping class thing because it's always been something only the Arisen can do and seems that they're pushing this as thematically tied to its nature, given the pawn comments in the trailer.

Finally, I've always gotten the impression that the single save slot was probably tied to their server back end re: syncing up pawns at the inn and doing the gift and RC exchanges. If that's true, they've just moved towards integrating this thematically into the game and made it so it isn't a penalty to players that want to try more than one playstyle. This is a definite improvement.

Yosharian

Arcane
I fucking hate it when videos decide to ruin the first hour of the game for me

Can we please try and preserve some magic around the start of an RPG?

Zeriel

Arcane
I'm glad you guys liked the game. I stand by my critiques though and compared to say, Gothic 2, I think DD is hokey generic shit. Just my opinion though, hope you guys enjoy the sequel.

I mean... maybe people miss hokey generic shit? Used to be games like DD weren't rare, but now trying to find an action RPG from an over-the-shoulder perspective that doesn't completely clone Dark Souls and its gay boss rush focus and slow as molasses combat rhythm is almost impossible. I can't name the last "generic action game with a cool story and world to explore that isn't trying to be Dark Souls" I played other than DD.

Last edited:

Zanzoken

Arcane
Fair. I agree that Dark Souls and all of its clones and derivatives are ass and have pretty much ruined the action RPG genre.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
"unoptimized" if you use the whole ray tracing thing, it's still a relatively new tech. RE engine has been really excellent for optimization so far. maybe it will struggle with open worlds, but i am still mostly positive

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I fucking hate it when videos decide to ruin the first hour of the game for me

Can we please try and preserve some magic around the start of an RPG?
We can choose to not see them. But yes, their only existance is disgusting.

Yosharian

Arcane
"unoptimized" if you use the whole ray tracing thing, it's still a relatively new tech. RE engine has been really excellent for optimization so far. maybe it will struggle with open worlds, but i am still mostly positive
You can clearly see in the pic that it is 30 FPS on high settings, not RT.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom