Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon's Dogma II - "They’re masterworks, all – you can’t go wrong"

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Fucking Christ, I'm turning into Otaku - Persona 3 Reload, FF7 Rebirth, Unicorn Overload, upcoming DLC for Elden Ring and now this. Why can't we have a culture in Europe anymore.

You are becoming a gentleman of good taste.

Terenty

Liturgist
Simplified armor system and height no longer matters the same way it did in the first game? Why remove things that make your game unique?

Sentinel

Arcane
The broccoli hair on the lion dude lol.

The thing I love the most about the footage is how the fighter rests his hand on the sword's scabbard while walking around & the warrior rests the big ass sword over his shoulder. Looks so fucking cool. Dunno why more games don't do it.

Alfgart

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
The subreddit is imploding with doomposting because of 10 vocations only, simplified armor system and horrible console performance. I caved in and watched lots of previews. Majority of them are shills/gaming journos with less than 2 hours played in the original, and all their insight is "iT's sO fUn BRO". Complete shit and uninformative commentary. It's clear they're doing this just for the Crapcom check. And the couple real OG DD fans like Rurikhan (one of the few CC I've seen recognize DD as a better ARPG than Dark Souls/ER) sounded bored and uninterested, with half his video talking irrelevant shit about the trip itself. He excused himself saying it's because he was tired yada yada, nah, I don't believe him. Everyone sounds super fake and like they were reading Capcom scripts at gunpoint. I haven't seen a single video of someone making a decent comparison between Dark Arisen and DD2

Capcom managed to lower my hype and reconsider preordering the game

Crayll

Liturgist
Imagine thinking there'd be decent performance on console from Dragon's Dogma. Meanwhile PC will get the real version of the game again :mixedemotions:

Yosharian

Arcane
I've got to admit when I heard the stuff about how they are handling fast travel I started shouting in the car to myself like a fucking psycho about how only the Japs seem to understand how to make immersive RPGs these days

yes I was watching YT in the car

Shinji

Savant
Here's an interview with Itsuno from yesterday.

RGJ/USAT: So far, 10 vocations have been revealed. Are there more vacations than that?

Itsuno: So currently, we have 10 vocations announced and that’s as much as we currently have plans for at this point right now.
RGJ/USAT: Are you able to talk about the changes to the armor system and the reasons behind them? It seems like it has been simplified. Is the Under Armour or clothing layer gone? Will there eventually be a transmog option? And will players be able to do equipment presets?

Itsuno: So for Dragon’s Dogma 2, we changed the armor system and simplified it with the goal that people choose different things to have more visual variety. We wanted to balance it in a way so that people wouldn’t end up always choosing the same things.

In that regard, we added more variety and simplified the system. Rather than having an inner and outer, we divided the equipment for the upper half of the body and the lower half of the body. We added helms and capes. There are some presets but overall, well, something that happened in the previous game at high levels was that people would go for the same kind of equipment in the end. This time we made a conscious goal of trying to create something that even at higher levels, people would be encouraged to choose different things. So there will be some visual variety into what people were choosing.

RGJ/USAT: So you mean everybody pretty much started using the same gear and looking the same in the previous game?

Itsuno: Yeah, so because of that, we tried to make it very consciously so that the higher your level, the more variety you would be encouraged to choose from.
RGJ/USAT: Does a character’s body type still come with advantages and disadvantages? If I make a huge character, will there be areas I can’t get into?

Itsuno: So in Dragon’s Dogma 2, you won’t have any situations where you won’t be able to enter a place because of your body type. However, body type will still have an impact on your character’s stats or characteristics. If your character is taller then there will be characteristics that match that. If your character is shorter, there will be characteristics that match that.

For example, body type can impact the amount of weight they can carry or how fast their stamina recovers. Also, the length of their limbs affect the speed in which they move or the reach of their attacks.
RGJ/USAT: Will you still be able to play catch with your Pawn? How much freedom do players have in designing their Pawn?

Itsuno: Yes, you can play catch with your Pawn. Also, one of the main themes of the Pawns is their individuality. Based on what a Pawn is like, you can figure out what kind of person created the Pawn, right? So that’s something that we stressed this time, too. The more characteristics we have available, the more options players have to make their own Pawn unique and we wanted to emphasize that.

:bounce:

There are more questions in the link below:
https://www.rgj.com/story/life/2024...-dogma-2-director-hideaki-itsuno/72786342007/

Shinji

Savant
Regarding the armor changes, he has a good point.

A lot of high-level pawns used to look the same in the first game.

Crayll

Liturgist
Physical appearance affecting gameplay mechanics is confirmed to still be in then. And I can only think of one spot in the original game that you had to be a certain size to enter (goblin caves under the Shadow Fort) so that's not a big loss.

Hope he's right and there is enough variety in equipment to make up for the limited slots.

Zariusz

Arbiter
Really weak reason to gut the armor system, imho meta gamers will probably always end with simillar looking stuff for their builds. Even if there would be many sets simillar stat wise, simillar enough to use interchangeably for those late game builds, i dont see how this slight gain in variety would be enough to cover for stealing the control over characters from players hands. I can only hope that someday this stupid decision will be changed or at least maybe modders will fix it somewhat though i doubt it.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
THE COLORS DON'T ADD UP OTHERWISE
This is a good argument agaisnt there only being 10 vocations
Why would they keep the original game's visual scheme and logic for the vocations if they didn't plan on following it through?
All this does, is suggest the game is incomplete
Not to mention they must have known this would lead to months of theory crafting by the fans the moment they revealed the yellow, purple and pink colors...
So what... they were just fucking with us for shits and giggles?

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
RGJ/USAT: So far, 10 vocations have been revealed. Are there more vacations than that?

Itsuno: So currently, we have 10 vocations announced and that’s as much as we currently have plans for at this point right now.
This is a very evasive answer, almost like a politician, no doubt he had it pre-planned
It neither confirms nor denies that there won't be more vocations, he's just reiterating "this is all we're going show so far"

Itsuno: ... Also, one of the main themes of the Pawns is their individuality.
Eh?
Hasn't the main charateristic of Pawns the fact they're barely above automatons

Really weak reason to gut the armor system, imho meta gamers will probably always end with simillar looking stuff for their builds. Even if there would be many sets simillar stat wise, simillar enough to use interchangeably for those late game builds, i dont see how this slight gain in variety would be enough to cover for stealing the control over characters from players hands. I can only hope that someday this stupid decision will be changed or at least maybe modders will fix it somewhat though i doubt it.
Yeah this was weird too
Here I was thinking they had done that to make the mathemical balancing and progression of armor more stable and satisfying, but it's in fact to bolster the Fashion Dogma aspect of it...

Motherfucking metagamers man...

This is a very evasive answer, almost like a politician, no doubt he had it pre-planned
It neither confirms nor denies that there won't be more vocations, he's just reiterating "this is all we're going show so far"

Itsuno: ... Also, one of the main themes of the Pawns is their individuality.
Eh?
Hasn't the main charateristic of Pawns the fact they're barely above automatons

Yeah this was weird too
Here I was thinking they had done that to make the mathemical balancing and progression of armor more stable and satisfying, but it's in fact to bolster the Fashion Dogma aspect of it...

Motherfucking metagamers man...

I don’t even think it bolsters the whole Fashion Dogma aspect. People dressing characters up however and posting picks of it doesn’t have to have anything to do with stats. If anything it seems like it’ll hurt the whole Fashion Dogma side of things. Just seems like it’s so when you go into The Rift you don’t see a bunch of pawns dressed the same standing around each other, or a bunch of pawns wandering the country side all dressed alike.

Zariusz

Arbiter

I don’t even think it bolsters the whole Fashion Dogma aspect. People dressing characters up however and posting picks of it doesn’t have to have anything to do with stats. If anything it seems like it’ll hurt the whole Fashion Dogma side of things. Just seems like it’s so when you go into The Rift you don’t see a bunch of pawns dressed the same standing around each other, or a bunch of pawns wandering the country side all dressed alike.
As far as i remember most of clone Pawns in the Rift were wearing those one item npc outfits, and those items were free dlc items or you could buy those from that forger guy. If those sets weren't given for free, or at least weren't one piece items i doubt that clones would be so common, atleast during early game.

gabel

fork's latest account
Patron
Simplified armor system and height no longer matters the same way it did in the first game? Why remove things that make your game unique?

2019:

And even if it comes, it's current year and there's no way it will be as good as the original.
yer sayin' this like DD is from 1989 or somethin'
No, but it's seven years old and was already an outlier back then quality and content-wise.
There's just no way a successor will have so many great systems and attention to detail.
Character creator (still unsurpassed afaik) and layered clothing system just to name the most obvious.

I'd hope I'm wrong, but I know I'm not. :3

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom