Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon's Dogma II - "They’re masterworks, all – you can’t go wrong"

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I Accidentally found the fog area and found the lich boss thing and man this whole dungeon is great. The boss is great. When this game peaked, it's fucking peak.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Well when you think 60 FPS is good, of course 58 wouldn't bother you

30 FPS isn't even action gaming at that point, you're just engaging in a point and click adventure
This is your brain on 120 FPS memes. I've been playing Bloodborne and it's amazing how shitty 30 FPS looks at first when you are used to 60, it's equally amazing how after a couple hours the brain adjusts and it's perfectly playable. 60FPS is more than enough.
Yes perfectly fluid motion with GSync is just a 'meme', good one.
Keep justifying that monstrous purchase to yourself.

It's the fools errand of chasing an ever increasing number. Especially with how badly coded software is these days. Same shit with the all important ultra setting, or the biggest scam of all in gay tracing. At the end of the day this is a console game and we're all being retarded.

I know this because I did the same with OLED and HDR. Do they even make gsync modules any more? I can't imagine being tied to an IPS panel from half a decade ago forever.

Yeah I'm not really sold on pawns deviating from their original inclinations based on their master's behaviour tbh.

It just makes it way more complicated than it needs to be - I have to not only worry about how inclinations might affect gameplay but also how my actions might interfere with that? Fuck that shit
You don't have to worry, the combat isn't complicated enough for it to matter. It's for "oh neat, this pawn did that" moments.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
Yeah I'm not really sold on pawns deviating from their original inclinations based on their master's behaviour tbh.

It just makes it way more complicated than it needs to be - I have to not only worry about how inclinations might affect gameplay but also how my actions might interfere with that? Fuck that shit
You don't have to worry, the combat isn't complicated enough for it to matter. It's for "oh neat, this pawn did that" moments.
Okay, lettuce define complicated combat in a ARPG. You go first.

Actually I'll go first. Dark Souls 2 has the most complicated (complicated being a good thing) combat in a ARPG, followed by MHW. I have to use a two-hander class in DD before I can say it's up there.

It means needing to worry about the inclination of your pawns to win battles. Most people don't even know how exactly this system works.

(complicated being a good thing)
Not necessarily. Not being able to control your party and complicated combat where you need to coordinate don't go well together.

arnJj0JY_700w_0.jpg

Crayll

Liturgist
One complaint I have now - why is magick archer unlocked basically at the end of the game? It makes sense for something like Warfarer, but magick archer would be a good natural progression for my character and I'd like to have more time to play with it. I could run and pick it up early but I'd be skipping through a lot of new areas to do so.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
One complaint I have now - why is magick archer unlocked basically at the end of the game?
Because you would rape all the monsters and the whole game up it's ass within the first few hours.

It means needing to worry about the inclination of your pawns to win battles. Most people don't even know how exactly this system works.

(complicated being a good thing)
Not necessarily. Not being able to control your party and complicated combat where you need to coordinate don't go well together.
This game has some of the best party based AI out there. All those goofy video montages of pawns running off cliffs and shit paint a false picture. I've only had two pawns do something incredibly stupid that lead to their demise. The pawn AI overall is very impressive. I dare say best in it's class.

Now NPC followers are an entirely different story. They are simply broken. They don't keep up with you even if you're moving at a moderate pace, and they like to bug out and fall off the face of the planet.

Renfri

Cipher
If you dont suicide with Martyr's Bolt when playing Magick Archer, you are doing it wrong btw.

Dyet

Novice
One complaint I have now - why is magick archer unlocked basically at the end of the game? It makes sense for something like Warfarer, but magick archer would be a good natural progression for my character and I'd like to have more time to play with it. I could run and pick it up early but I'd be skipping through a lot of new areas to do so.
Probably because it's the speshul, broken Arisen only vocation (again).

But yeah, it's pretty stupid.

Renfri

Cipher

But yeah, it's pretty stupid.

Compromise: Magick Archer unlock earlier, but you don't get über bolt before very late.

Perkel

Arcane

Not really, ton of videos online with cheated damage etc. or complete endgame no life builds. Level apparently goes to 999 not just 99...

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I'm watching Elajjaz doing end game with a Warrior and it's a complete mess.
A mess in what way?
Warrior alpha strikes are basically wasted on regular mobs therefore it's better to use slashes which don't have a great damage output.

End game mobs have more HP and they are more aggresive therefore the packs of mobs were basically a slog for Elajjaz :)

Also he had some retarded pawns which needed constant caretaking. In any case he finished the game at lvl 62+ after 55 hours (or something like that).

edit: He also got the gay elf as his beloved :) I'm curious how gay H. P. Lovecraft's Cat really is ;)

Last edited:

Renfri

Cipher
After little over 60 hours game is finished, only one side quest I didn't manage to complete, and who knows if I missed some, prolly did. Game was many way improvement over first title, but main story was definitely worse, where as on first it was quite lowkey and suddenly got awesome, but here it never went from alright to anywhere. Even fight with the dragon was lamer without much lead up drama. I didn't kill Sphinx, because she just left so I missed that fight completely, also when she moved place she went straight to apparent last riddle and skipped some.

Pawns were fairly decent, I think they completely failed me only in Medusa fight and one thief camp where they just got rolled over, otherwise they performed well. Sometimes they were nice comic relief, other times quite often too. I think pawns often went on and on how they can show where to go, and after you told them no thanks, they would start again soon after. Sometimes they pointed out chests that were already looted. I once accidentally hired pawn warrior without weapon and went for drake fight, thanks random person.

First game was one of the best 5 euros I ever spent on video game. Dragon's Dogma 2 was decent, carried by fun combat, but even in there it clearly needs more variety and new bosses to spice up things. I wonder how many goblins, bandits and ogres I killed in this game, too many I think. Gigantic statue fight was kinda lame tbh. Some of the caves were really nice go through, finding secrets was always lovely, but I just wish map wasn't full of corridors, especially in first region. Performance in Vernwoth was big yikes, elsewhere game performed well. If I had not updated PC last year, I would have been fucked.

:3.5/5:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom