Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon's Dogma II - "They’re masterworks, all – you can’t go wrong"

Zariusz

Arbiter
Is it only me or fighting Ogres really got easier in the sequel? In DDA i had to tard wrangle them into submission but here 2-3 Warrior ability attacks are enough to put them onto their asses.
Warrior generally now is really fun, i love those finishers where you impale and then launch enemy bodies like from slingshot. Charge ability is really satisfying, especially when you pin tanky enemies to the wall and then execute them with heavy attack, also that feel when your single swing sends manlet enemies flying is just

:positive:
Could be a memory problem but i generally remember that Warrior was felt boring/ somewhat lacking when compared to the other vocations in original game.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Is it only me or fighting Ogres really got easier in the sequel? In DDA i had to tard wrangle them into submission but here 2-3 Warrior ability attacks are enough to put them onto their asses.
Warrior generally now is really fun, i love those finishers where you impale and then launch enemy bodies like from slingshot. Charge ability is really satisfying, especially when you pin tanky enemies to the wall and then execute them with heavy attack, also that feel when your single swing sends manlet enemies flying is just

:positive:
Could be a memory problem but i generally remember that Warrior was felt boring/ somewhat lacking when compared to the other vocations in original game.
The classes in general got souped up while monster hp either stayed the same or got nerfed and monster abilities are generally the same as DD1 with a few more variations and bigger drakes. Drakes got a bit of an ability expansion though and feel about the same level of challenge to fight as DD1. Not having insta-pawn rez is a huge improvement though and if you couldn't heal from dead (0 hp before you fully "land"), I'd actually say drakes are tougher than in DD1 because of the ability expansion and the fact that they nuke the shit out of you.

Just some thoughts on class and monster abilities that some might consider spoilerish, though I don't really.

Still a lot of fun though. Thief and archer are the vocations I've mostly played so far and they both get ridiculous once they get going. Mystic Spearhand feels kind of clunky to me but I want to try them all before I pigeon hole to a playstyle. Based on what I liked in DD1, some sort of combination of thief, archer, and fighter/warrior is probably where I'll end up.

I expect I won't like trickster much, though I'll have to try it out. Mage and sorcerer used to be fun for a change up, but wasn't really a playstyle I favoured. It's pretty cool they they changed levitation now (I assume, based on the sorcerer pawns flying around in combat).

Also, I think it's cool that drakes have more of a spellcasting component now like the Dark Arisen wyverns and wyrms. And it feels like they're doing dragon possession more often, not sure if this is related to dragon plague (please don't answer that, I'd rather find out on my own).

Based on the pawn quests I've seen, it also sounds like they brought back some of the BBI monster variants into the game, though I'm not sure where they show up (again, please don't tell me). I guess it just feels to me like there's more of a monster variety than complaints would seem to have indicated, even out of what I have seen so far, with some of the monster variants and how often you see them.

9ted6

Educated
It's a tremendous resource hog and expensive as shit
But the image quality is undeniable
For graphics whores, a good 4k screen is pure eyecandy, even more bland looking games are almost mesmerizing in a 4k 120+Hz OLED
IIRC the majority of competitive FPS players play games at 1080p on the lowest possible settings with ultra high refresh rate monitors. 4k is shit for competitive play because even if your hardware can run it competitive types need framerates over everything else.

Shaki

Arbiter
The game has a lot of issues, but it really nails the feeling of adventure. Objectively I should hate it, it has all the issues that I usually shit on in modern mainstream games, but somehow despite all of them, it's just so fucking fun to play, I'm really having a blast.

Yosharian

Arcane
I tested the performance on the latest patch. I had to remove the Frame Gen mod because it now causes the game to crash on startup, though I would have turned it off anyway to test performance.

• My overall FPS hasn't changed - still 50-60 in cities, and 70-80 out in the wilds. (DLSS Quality)
  • Frame drops/stutter seem to be much less frequent, if not completely resolved. Odd, since Capcom said nothing about this in the patch notes. Perhaps these issues only crop up in longer sessions, not sure and not willing to test further because I'm not playing the game anymore currently (will replay in a year or two).
  • As a result of this, gameplay is much more pleasant now, even though I would prefer 100+ FPS. Cities are actually bearable. (again, this is based off a few minutes' testing)
  • DLSS image quality seems much better now, but the Sharpness slider still doesn't seem to do anything.

abija

Prophet
I have a 240hz GSync monitor and hardware that can hit that frame rate in many games and... pretty sure no one can tell if you turn off the fps indicator so long as your settings keep the frame rate stable and high enough. :lol:
You would be surprised. Most people can easily tell in a game where you turn camera with the mouse. I have a friend that noticed in doom the monitor is not at 165hz (was on 120) with a fps counter locked to 165 on screen.

Thing is... if most games in the genre would run like cs:go/overwatch, complaining would make sense. But 60 seems to be a high achievement for these kind of games and I don't think the performance outcry is warranted.

Yosharian

Arcane
Can we just move on from the whole high frame rate debate, neither of us is going to convince the other side and we're just wasting our time.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
IIRC the majority of competitive FPS players play games at 1080p on the lowest possible settings with ultra high refresh rate monitors. 4k is shit for competitive play because even if your hardware can run it competitive types need framerates over everything else.
I'd wager the added framerates are less important than the additional contrast provided with lower settings. It's easier to pick out a textureless rectangle on a textureless field than a guy in camo in the middle of a million different colours and shapes.

Honestly I don't see the extra frames making much of a difference. Maybe if you'll really adapted to it there's a big difference between 60 and 120, but beyond that you're splitting hairs, which is what any competitive profiessional does, right down to outright superstitous nonsense. If professional fighting game players can't reliably perform one frame links on combos during practice at 60fps, the idea that an FPS player is deriving some significant advantage by reacting to something 2ms sooner or whatever is pretty retarded.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
1000068306.jpg

Shrimp

Arbiter
While it wouldn't surprise me if they probably started developing DLC alongside the main game or at least deliberately omitted certain things with the intention of turning them into DLC later, I don't really put much stock in the whole Dragon Princess thing.
The first time I saw it mentioned was of some 'leaked' photo of a handful of release dates from either a day after DD2's launch or the day after. The picture in question had some copyright placed right in the middle that looked kind of... out of place? I don't really know how to describe it, but it seemed like something you could just slap on in photoshop

I'll believe it when I see it

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
it has all the issues that I usually shit on in modern mainstream games, but somehow despite all of them, it's just so fucking fun to play,
that's because despite all that, the game is (for the most part) well designed and nails exactely what it set out to do (diverse combat playstyles and DnD inspired aventure)

big if true
though the logo seems legit:
dd2-expnasion.png

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
I'd wager the added framerates are less important than the additional contrast provided with lower settings.
No, the advantage really is the fact that players can better track targets and see them earlier
Maybe if you'll really adapted to it there's a big difference between 60 and 120, but beyond that you're splitting hairs
The difference between 60hz+fps and 120hz+fps is seemingly noticeable to anyone
Beyond that it gets harder to spot, but if you are playing, specially fast-paced competitive game, you can really feel the difference between 120 and 240 - it's quite smoother
idea that an FPS player is deriving some significant advantage by reacting to something 2ms sooner or whatever is pretty retarded.
You say this because you can't play at that high level (I also can't)
Those guys really have impressive reactions

Reinhardt

Arcane
killed my first drake in hope it will upgrade my gryphic victory. nope.
well, technically it's my pawn killed him. i was running circles killing hobgobbos and screaming "слыш, сюда иди, да?!" at reptile while she deleted 1-2 bars with each icey thingy cast.

Artyoan

Arbiter
If they patch in a NG+ with scaled enemies and some additional enemy types, I could see myself playing this for a couple hundred hours. Impressions at 20 hours in:
+Exploring the open world is vastly better than the first one
+Pawns are more engaging all around and the addition of pawn quests was a good idea
+ multiple times I've had pawns tell me of a cave or treasure and then lead me to it, when I was unlikely to have found it without that
+This is the first time the character creator actually produced a character in-game that looks like they did in the creator
+ movement has much more weight to it, feeling sluggish at first, but emphasizing some forward thinking in combat and caution in world travel
+Low amount of handholding. I chose not to take the ox cart to the capital after the cyclops. Totally on my own to find the way there.
+This is fast travel done right imo
-Performance in cities is awful (haven't tried today's patch yet)
-Less skills for magic classes is a bad decision (why is the left trigger solely for sheathing the staff? wtf?)
-Difficulty drop off is already starting to be an issue. The open world is built on the loss/attrition system and the day/night cycle. There should be some dynamic element here where harsh things begin to spawn based on the player level to upkeep the difficulty in most regions of the world. Especially at night. Once hitting the mid-20s in level, the night time should start to become a hellscape
-Golems are still annoying to fight as a caster, since pawns seem to say they should hit the marks but then don't actually do it
-Could use some much more lengthy random dungeons/caves found in exploration, as most are very short
-The music/themes are now mood setting for a medieval fantasy game but the bizarre music that gave the first game its jrpg feel is now almost entirely gone

Black

Arcane
killed my first drake in hope it will upgrade my gryphic victory. nope.
well, technically it's my pawn killed him. i was running circles killing hobgobbos and screaming "слыш, сюда иди, да?!" at reptile while she deleted 1-2 bars with each icey thingy cast.
Silly that pawns can now finish off drakes.

Perkel

Arcane

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom