Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dwarf Fortress now on Steam with a graphical overhaul

Big Wrangle

In the words of the average NPC
flat,1000x1000,075,f.u1.jpg

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Heard so much stuff about this game over the years but never could get into it due to ASCII graphics. Guess Ill try it eventually and see what the fuss is all about

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
Bay12 is doing AMA on reddit.

Shitload of changes are coming.
He plants to probably hire people to help him if sales will allow for that.
UI will be focus as well as performance though he said that performance will be hard to "fix".
Considers adding multi-threading but as above hard as fuck in his words.

Wow i didn't expect to hear that from Toady ever.

Zdzisiu

Arcane
Bay12 is doing AMA on reddit.

Shitload of changes are coming.
UI will be focus as well as performance though he said that performance will be hard to "fix".
Considers adding multi-threading but as above hard as fuck in his words.

Wow i didn't expect to hear that from Toady ever.
Yeah, those are some good and needed changes.

I can use the UI just fine, but that comes with hundred of hours of experience. I could certainly be made more intuitive and consistent.

Hellraiser

Arcane

UI would be the best choice because he could sell at least 10 times more copies after there is one than before. Bah, with UI I think he could catch up to Rimworld figures easily at a million or more copies. The market is there, it just needs an UI that is not frustrating.

The question is how much money needs to be spent to develop the UI.

I think he is guaranteed to sell at least 20k copies within the first month, it can potentially break 100k if he's lucky. Steam takes 30%, so if he sells his 20k guaranteed copies at 10$ price, he earns 140k which buys him and his brother slightly over one year of survival. No UI, impossible unless they find one skilled pajeet that works for pennies and does everything Tesla style "for the art" on permanent voluntary crunch time.

If he's going for 40$ which I think is the price point above which only the truly dedicated would support him, he would make 560k. I guess with that money he could go all Iron Tower on this and hire a decently sized team of Slavic UI autists for 2 years and still have enough cash to both survive and keep in reserve if the Slavs hit a snag trying to figure out something toady coded 10 years ago or if other shit happens.

Or he could get an investor(s) with half a million to spare, if I had that much money available for a high risk (read: if I lose it all it doesn't matter much) investment I would actually give it to him. It would be unorthodox but Rimworld is a good indicator how DF Premium with UI could sell, and it only needs a UI the rest is already there and it is a known autistic quality. Safer than most shit venture capital funds invest in if you ask me.

oscar

Arcane
UI is what desperately needs help if he wants this game to go big. Should have done it years ago before lots of Dwarf Fortress-esque games started coming out and he'd be a wealthy man. Luckily for him most of them have kind of sucked (outside of Rimworld) so there's still time to crack into the mainstream.

Hellraiser

Arcane
UI is what desperately needs help if he wants this game to go big. Should have done it years ago before lots of Dwarf Fortress-esque games started coming out and he'd be a wealthy man. Luckily for him most of them have kind of sucked (outside of Rimworld) so there's still time to crack into the mainstream.

Yeah, it is only Rimworld and Oxygen Not Included that are relevant besides DF, both focusing on slightly different aspects of DF and nothing really emulating it 100% so it remains unique.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Yeah, it is only Rimworld and Oxygen Not Included that are relevant besides DF, both focusing on slightly different aspects of DF and nothing really emulating it 100% so it remains unique.
And that's why they are much more successful. Because they are not trying to emulate and track amount of blood in left index finger and how loss of nails can affect combat effectiveness.

Incantatar

Cipher
He said on the AMA, that Linux and Mac compatibility isn't guaranteed. They are not using Simon Swerwer's soundtrack and the walls ramps in the tileset look like optical illusions.
I'm not sold anything truly positive will come out of it.

Last edited:

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
You can't really maintain pure ascii and truly functional tileset support.

But code bloat is probably the biggest issue the game has those days. Don't really see that being fixed any time soon.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
He said on the AMA, that Linux and Mac compatibility isn't guaranteed. They are not using Simon Swerwer's soundtrack and the walls ramps in the tileset look like optical illusions.
Nope. ADOM had a patch hiatus for, what, 7 or 10 years? And now last patch have been released 18 dec 2018. Anything that could break toady's cancerous two patches(with fixes like, stopped dwarves thinking about carps, adjusted tree growth coloration and other useless shhit) per year is a good thing.

> healthcare costs

God the USA is such a 3rd world country, DF makes 5000 dollars a month with Patreon and yet healthcare costs are so high they still have to get in more money to pay for it.
Depending on where they live, $5,000 split two ways (and after taxes) isn't shit -- like close to minimum wage.
yeah its not very much money, not sure what the fuck people are talking about

> healthcare costs

God the USA is such a 3rd world country, DF makes 5000 dollars a month with Patreon and yet healthcare costs are so high they still have to get in more money to pay for it.

I have a friend who got chest heart pain after drinking and eating cake at a party. Went to the doctor to check what it was. Doctor xrayed his heart and did guess work telling him whats wrong then he went home with no real answer to his problem lol. The bill for all this was 50k. He was unemployed at the time and ignored all their mail and calls eventually they gave up.
thats not even unusual

Incantatar

Cipher
Nope. ADOM had a patch hiatus for, what, 7 or 10 years? And now last patch have been released 18 dec 2018. Anything that could break toady's cancerous two patches(with fixes like, stopped dwarves thinking about carps, adjusted tree growth coloration and other useless shhit) per year is a good thing.

It cuts both ways. More user friendliness will be a boon, but fulfilling every random twitter tranny's wish sounds like a nightmare.

Last edited:

It cuts both ways. More user friendliness will be a boon, but fulfilling every random twitter tranny's wish sounds like a nightmare.

Trans people are real. Real men, he means. Let's represent real people. With real genitals. Not whatever fake ones get carved into them.

54519580_840921636539822_4788840882377850880_n.jpg

I would've said that in the dudes replies but then I'd probably get arrested for hate crimes.

Norfleet

I say this not because they want to add tranny dwarves, but because they think blocking people who politely disagree that it would be a useful addition is the correct thing to do.
How would this work in the context of Dwarf Fortress, though. Would tranny dwarves mutilate their own genitals? Attempt to install new prosthetic genitalia? How advanced is dwarf surgery? Do they accomplish this by magic? If you can magically alter reality, are you even a tranny anymore? I mean, if a wizard turns a trans-mudkip into an actual mudkip, is he still trans-mudkip or is he now just a regular cis-mudkip? And is this still awesome?
wizard-mudkip.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom