Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dwarf Fortress now on Steam with a graphical overhaul

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Has there been any significant update in the last ten years anyway ?

Perkel

Arcane
Has there been any significant update in the last ten years anyway ?

yeah.

2020:

0.47.02:

• Guilds organize and petition for guildhalls, guild members can do skill demonstrations
  • Members of organized religions can petition for temples and priesthood recognition, priests give sermons and comfort stressed dwarves
  • Traitor dwarves, artifact heists, interrogation for crime from the justice screen, counterintelligence readout with organization charts
  • Most aquifers are much slower filling
  • Can start with a party in adventure mode
  • Specify background and starting location and beliefs in adventure mode (most labor skills still meaningless)
  • Can start with specified equipment and pets in adventure mode
  • Tactical combat mode for adventurer party
  • Adventurer can ride mounts, place items on pack animals, lead animals, claim pets, gift pets, and name pets (rider skill matters for melee/ranged rolls currently)
  • Can pet animals in adventure mode
  • Addition mood information in adventure mode conversations, (simple) interrogation options, flattery, joke-telling, calming remarks, (very simple) sermons
  • Simple intrigue display with actors and charts discovered in interrogation in adventure mode (in 'Q')
  • Divination shrines with dice and various effects
  • Lots of new intermediate positions (mostly without new mechanics) in entities (chamberlains etc.)
  • Alliances against world-ending threats in world generation
  • Various villainous activity in world generation, in play off-site, and (more limited) in fort mode, world generation surveillance, interrogation and punishment. Historical plots include theft, sabotage, abduction, assassination, coups, corrupt advancement promises, embezzlement, starting wars, and framing enemies.
  • Romantic relationship changes (multiple lovers, affairs, children outside marriage, divorces, etc.) as well as other relationship changes and details (friendship/rival types, variables like trust, respect and loyalty)
  • Merchant companies, military orders and mercenary companies, craft guilds in world generation
  • Individual mercenaries and companies can upgrade their equipment, and richer world gen people can purchase houses and build up their own city towers
  • Various religious interactions (shrine building, sermons, persecution) in world generation, lots of religious demographics tracking which influences shrine creation, religious sites and sermons influencing membership numbers, holy cities and a few levels of priest
  • Various horrifying new necromancer/mummy/demon/vampire etc. matter - snow-balling zombie invasions, multiple experiment types, intelligent undead lieutenants with new powers, nightmarish summons, spreading evil zones, promises of immortality in villainous plots
  • Dwarves can trigger dig-deep disasters in world generation, with repercussions coming to other sites, including fort mode
  • Some new locations, some map details still in-progress, monasteries, private city towers, guildhalls, merchant counting houses, forts (bandits and mercenaries), castles have returned (basically unchanged), better necromancer towers and simple outlying buildings

• Your civilization will send out groups to found sites near prosperous fortresses
  • Existing sites near prosperous fortresses will associate themselves to those fortresses
  • Added ability to take over sites and install administrators
  • Can view your new holdings from the 'c' screen
  • Can send workers off-site and send out messengers to request their return
  • Mulling over long-term memories can lead to shifts in intellectual values and personality changes

• Can pillage and raze and demand tribute from other sites
  • Dwarves on missions can now can gain skills
  • Military tactics skill is now gained and matters in off-site battles

New stuff
  • Ability to send out squads to raid sites, rescuing prisoners and recovering artifacts
  • Display cases and pedestals, museum zones, both in forts and other sites
  • Can view the world map w/ rumors from fort mode
  • Artifacts created during worldgen: dwarf moods, named heroic objects, holy relics, heirlooms
  • New artifact events in play and worldgen: questers seek artifacts and ask for or steal them, invaders demand artifacts
  • New historical events associated to the creation of artifacts (used in fort and worldgen)
  • Agents used by civilizations to gather information, can assume cover identities
  • Improved kobold site maps
  • Goblin site denizens demand an identity instead of immediately attacking every stranger
  • More modding control over pets and other animals
  • Adventurer can assume a cover identity at will
  • Adventurer can name their possessions
  • New adventurer reputations related to artifacts
  • New religious activity: monks, pilgrims and prophets
  • Museums and other room types can be added to fort locations like taverns and libraries
  • Various additional data in the XML export

Perkel

Arcane
This mostly impacted the adventure mode interestingly.

Most of those are for fortress mode. I mean you can make now tavern instead of fort or monestary etc. And military you rise can go loot other places and kill stuff outside of your fort.

darkpatriot

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I hope he fixed the caravan guards becoming ghosts since you can't memorialize them to satisfy their ghost bug since the last time I played it more than a decade ago.

I like to try playing with no immigration where I wall off my initial 7 Dwarves and have them start a new society underground, but it wouldn't work due to dead caravan guards becoming ghosts that haunted my pure isolated society.

None

Scholar
The worst part of the game comes out in beta today. Hopefully they can get back to work on the part of the game that is actually fun and interesting, lest I be doomed to officially dump DF and make Rimworld my main autism-fort game.

Perkel

Arcane
heck yeah.

i guess i have to undig my mods for adventure mode where i added building constructions, digging, mining etc. and adapt it to new version.
It is kind of amazing what you can do with simple text editor with how DF scripts are written.

I remember creating party, building a tavern for me my part and adventuring around. We died due to goblins but it was fun.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
The worst part of the game comes out in beta today. Hopefully they can get back to work on the part of the game that is actually fun and interesting, lest I be doomed to officially dump DF and make Rimworld my main autism-fort game.

isnt base game fortress mode is just as good as it ever been?

or do they have stuff unpleasant?

None

Scholar

isnt base game fortress mode is just as good as it ever been?

or do they have stuff unpleasant?
Minus a few minor differences it's as it was since the villians update, which is what I'm griping about. I'm just hoping this whole Steam version transition is going to be finally finished and we'll see developments that are focused on gameplay instead of visuals/interface.

But besides the direction of development the only real unpleasantry has been the new control scheme.

Perkel

Arcane
minus the bugs.
They said already that after finishing UI they will go back to developement.

Frankly imho after UI they should finally do proper balance run for whole game and polish features that were there already first.

Skins still giving you 1 leather regardless of creature size anyone ?

Baron Tahn

Scholar
I don't usually bother with skinning due to all the mess and bits. I buy it cos it's super cheap and I always have too much other stuff to trade.

None

Scholar
Frankly imho after UI they should finally do proper balance run for whole game and polish features that were there already first.
I'd be happy to see that. No longer will a farm plot the size of one of my dwarves' rooms feed the entire fort.

covr

Prophet
Patron
I never really gave a shit about adventure mode, but apparently that beta released yesterday has been stripped from any fun activities from original version. No cabin building, butchering, trading, etc. PPL on steam forums are surprised that game is empty and there's nothing you can do except roaming around and killing stuff.

I had small hope that after adventure mode they'll start creating some new content, but now I am sure that fixing adventure and fortress will take another year or two ten, then they'll work on some new crap stuff like families for adventure mode, as it's easier to add.

Of course there's no changelog, so I don't know if they have fixed any of old bugs for fortress mode, I guess that fuck not.

Baron Tahn

Scholar
Hunh. What happened there? Hope it was worth all the drama ostracising Meph and all the core group of hardcore players. Course it was, I guess, money wise - but why did it end up going backwards?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom