Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dying Light 2 Stay Human - zombie survival with choice & consequence

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Why would you ever hire Avellone and then just not use the majority of his stuff? The man's got to cost a pretty penny, and you might as well use his stuff wholesale because piecemeal doesn't work.

Once again writers get shafted. Avellone should just contract a bunch of Unity programmers and make his own game at this point.

Last edited:

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Why would you ever hire Avellone and then just not use the majority of his stuff? The man's got to cost a pretty penny, and you might as well use his stuff wholesale because piecemeal doesn't work.

Once again writers get shafted. Avellone should just contract a bunch of Unity programmers and make his own game at this point.

What. Writers themselves only use their good ideas. Things get cut.

And it is supposed to be a game, not a visual novel (and even in visual novels the writing gets cut).

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

What. Writers themselves only use their good ideas. Things get cut.

And it is supposed to be a game, not a visual novel (and even in visual novels the writing gets cut).

Lol writers don't fire themselves. IIRC, Avellone was removed from DL2 when those sexual harassments allegations (which I won't got into, but it's got its own codex thread) came out.

Harthwain

Magister

Because the man's name became a brand in the writing department, so it was considered good for the game's image to get Avellone on board. Until the allegations started to pop up, which was the point when suddenly everybody and their mother dropped Avellone and started stating his stuff was never actually used or was in the process of being cut out. In all honesty I wouldn't be surprised if his contributions were less significant than most people thought. That said - Avellone was always keeping the record straight whenever anyone asked him about it.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I thought your point was why people hire Avellone and then don't use most of the stuff he writes.

Yeah, it is. The problem is we'll never know if Avellone's cut content is good or not, but it's a waste of money to hire a very famous RPG writer to work on your project, and then ditch most of it.

Because the man's name became a brand in the writing department, so it was considered good for the game's image to get Avellone on board. Until the allegations started to pop up, which was the point when suddenly everybody and their mother dropped Avellone by stating his stuff was never actually used or is in process of being cut out. I wouldn't be surprised if his contributions were less significant than most people thought.

Judging by Avellone's tweet above, it sounds like he was the primary writer.

vota DC

Augur
Cut references doesn't mean cut content. A crazy aviator (no more dangerous on military side because she was already kicked off) will gut her own son if she sees Avellone's content there...too bad she is too dumb to recognize it so she will just check the game credits.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I thought your point was why people hire Avellone and then don't use most of the stuff he writes.

Yeah, it is. The problem is we'll never know if Avellone's cut content is good or not, but it's a waste of money to hire a very famous RPG writer to work on your project, and then ditch most of it.
It's also waste of his time. Why spend months of effort, and then don't see a single bit from that?
It's also why I don't wanna be employed by some czech companies, not even as consultant. They are too sharp cookies who knows the best, then in mid project they discover they fucked things.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I'd play it. The only thing I didn't like about the original was that if you used the mini-map, you could clearly see the game's most terrifying and formidable non-boss enemies that only came out at night spawning out of nowhere that kind of took you out of the moment. Perhaps the solution was simple - don't use the mini-map. Let's hope it's one of the things they fix, trifling as it could be.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
I never played zombie games until DL but when I played it I realized it was something else. I can barely put into words how excited I am for DL2. They seem to have improved on every aspect from the first one. Plus the writing from Avellone, faction allegiance that alters the city a bit for gameplay purposes, larger arsenal, the kick from Dark Messiah, new zombie types, paraglider and on and on. Plus Elden Ring. Oh yeah, February will be special.

Last edited:

BruceVC

Magister
I never played zombie games until DL but when I played it I realized it was something else. I can barely put into words how excited I am for DL2. They seem to have improved on every aspect from the first one. Plus se writing from Avellone, faction allegiance that alters the city a bit for gameplay purposes, larger arsenal, the kick from Dark Messiah, new zombie types, paraglider and on and on. Plus Elden Ring. Oh yeah, February will be special.
I'd play it. The only thing I didn't like about the original was that if you used the mini-map, you could clearly see the game's most terrifying and formidable non-boss enemies that only came out at night spawning out of nowhere that kind of took you out of the moment. Perhaps the solution was simple - don't use the mini-map. Let's hope it's one of the things they fix, trifling as it could be.

Is it even a real debate about if " we going to play DL2 " of course we are because we played and loved the first game but I agree with you on the mini-map but I didnt like running into those vampires at night so I used the mini-map to avoid them and then I actively hunted them later on for loot and upgrades

But DL2 looks better than 1 on almost every level which just means " day 1 " purchase for sure :salute:

typical user

Arbiter
But DL2 looks better than 1 on almost every level which just means " day 1 " purchase for sure :salute:

gb2h7tge0j561.png

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

In the latest episode of Dying 2 Know More, Thomas Gerbaud, World Director of Dying Light 2: Stay Human, talks us through The City and its people in greater detail. Following the Fall of civilization, people have come together to create a new civilization and way of life in the face of the infection. Players will discover this world and its inhabitants through Aiden’s eyes, with the consequences of his actions disrupting their everyday lives.

ADL

Prophet

Haven't really followed this outside of E3 footage over the years but recent stuff from GameInformer looks way more cel-shaded than I remember and it looks really nice. Reminds me of Telltale's Walking Dead games.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Don't let this fool you. Remember that other big-budget polish game that had gone gold only to be delayed again?

Fargus

Arcane
After kike punk 2020 and Techland ditching Avellone like a wasted hooker i trust a potato-man as far as i can throw one. Jebane kurwas.

That being said Dying Light 1 was a fun game to waste time with my friends in coop. And single player story missions were atmospheric and tense at times. Maybe i will pirate Dying Light 2 or buy it on sale... but no pre order or full price buy for me.

vota DC

Augur
But if Renegades just attack you on sight how can you side with them?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Ready for the fifth episode of Dying 2 Know? This time, together with Jonah Scott and Leah, we'll walk you through a fifteen-minute-long gameplay video featuring a quest from Dying Light 2 Stay Human!

Pre-order Dying Light 2: http://bit.ly/PreorderDL2YT

Chapters:
0:00 Intro
1:13 Preview Events
2:17 Quest Intro
4:36 A Place to Call Home Quest
23:04 UGC Contest
24:50 Techland 30th Anniversary!
26:41 Pre-order now!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom