Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eador Genesis

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Well distribution of XP for combat is like this:
A lot for damage in close combat.
Some for damage in ranged combat.
Something for stamina loss from casting and using abilities.
1/3 for hero for leadership.

Kinda wonder wher I seen that.

This is distributed even to killed and summoned creatures. Thus be letting these bandits die, you lost some XP otherwise used by these bandits. Trying to get last hit also seems to be bit pointles.

Sorry but you're wrong. Here's the formula for the "unit activity" which is used to calculate XP awarded at the end of the combat:

UnitActRating = 20*MeleeKills + 10*RangedKills + 2*MeleeDamage + RangedDamage + DamageReceived + 3*SpellsStamina + 2*UsedHealing + UsedStamina + 1

(source: http://forums.ag.ru/?board=fl_main&action=display&s=0&num=1237016518&start=2700#2705)

As you can see, MeleeKills and RangedKills have a pretty massive weight attached. Not just significant, but like 10x and 5x times significant. Hence the key moment of letting your warrior lasthit, not your cannon fodder.
Well, this explains why I can get a solo warrior to the level cap so easily.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Actually the above equation is only deciding who would receive 42/100 XP. A hero who would do only leadership would receive about 3/10 XP, a solo warrior/archer would receive all.

As you can see, MeleeKills and RangedKills have a pretty massive weight attached. Not just significant, but like 10x and 5x times significant. Hence the key moment of letting your warrior lasthit, not your cannon fodder.
A Thug would do 30 damage. Then a berserker would kill the unit. The thug would get 60 points, the berserker would get 22+. The thug would still receive about three times more experience.
Basically it's somewhat useless micro.

BTW can you run out of shards to conquer?

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
My wizards do this damage in melee combat. (and thugs can have crippling strike)

No seriously. He beat up one Cyclop and majority of Ogres before the second Cyclop mauled him (by trample). He resurrected returned and mauled the second Cyclop.

Sword of insanity allows stuff like that.

Rpgsaurus Rex

You have to see the context in what I was trying to say... I tried to explain why it's important to last-hit stuff with Warrior in first 10 turns or so when you're using cannon fodder, which is the most cookie-cutter way of Warrior start on Expert.

Bandit does 7, Warrior 8 dmg to a Goblin, for example(I think)? If you calculate, the difference in XP between last-hitting and not is about 2x (Goblin dies in 2 hits), making 2x difference to speed of leveling (huge).

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Getting Dragon armor early makes much more difference. Let's calculate the above example. Goblin has about 9 HP when he is really tough. 16 vs 22 doesn't equal twice as fast. In more common situation when Goblin has 7 HP, Bandit does 4 HP damage, and Warrior 3 HP, the ratio is 8 vs 26.
In real numbers it's: 0.37411764705 the worst case
0.62117647058 the best case

But, in the end even best micro would only net you about one more level before you'd get decent enough weapon and armor to basically one hit kill stuff anyway. I guess in some situations keeping unit alive, and letting them get some levels would help more. (Going from 0 to 1 is 40 XP, going from 1 to 2 is 110 XP.)

You are overestimating importance of leveling. The most important stuff for a warrior are decent armor and weapon. The most important stuff for a scout are a decent bow, and some meatshields.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
You should try playing on higher difficulty levels...
And scream murder like SCO? High difficulty level in campaign are simply kicking yourself into butt for no reason. Not to mention all would stay the same, in the previous example it would happen exactly the same, I'd just run out of stamina before I'd dispatch one two more ogres. (Considering the stamina problems, I'd have two more astral energy spells ready, which would even it out.)

I would consider smart if they stopped with starting money bonuses, and rather lowered number of units/experience of neutrals in ring 2/3. Because the current stuff is bit silly.

Rpgsaurus Rex

You should try playing on higher difficulty levels...
And scream murder like SCO? High difficulty level in campaign are simply kicking yourself into butt for no reason. Not to mention all would stay the same, in the previous example it would happen exactly the same, I'd just run out of stamina before I'd dispatch one two more ogres. (Considering the stamina problems, I'd have two more astral energy spells ready, which would even it out.)

I would consider smart if they stopped with starting money bonuses, and rather lowered number of units/experience of neutrals in ring 2/3. Because the current stuff is bit silly.

Below Expert v. Expert (AI) difficulty there's no point talking about anything for strategy, since you can do anything and win. Scout province for 20 turns? np. Go solo warrior, rape everything? np. Suicide units and play with no veterans? np. etc.

BTW people win campaign on Overlord too... I guess people incl. me enjoy getting "kicked in the butt". But also I don't see the point of playing a unique game like that, that rewards *smart* play on high difficulty levels with minimum reliance on RNG (where it's a superb wargame/strategy with RPG elements), on lower difficulty (where it becomes a mediocre RPG with pointless grind).

I stopped playing this some weeks ago and haven't really had the urge to go back to it.

I gradually increased the difficulty but it seems the lower difficulty levels just burned me out too quickly to want to play more at any level. A shame

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Are you playing campaign, and on which difficulty?

Strategy? Finish a shard without sorcery school (that one with astral energy), and then talk.

sher

Educated

Strategy? Finish a shard without sorcery school (that one with astral energy), and then talk.

Ha-ha. I almost never use this school :eek:

Eyeball

Arcane
I stopped playing this some weeks ago and haven't really had the urge to go back to it.

I gradually increased the difficulty but it seems the lower difficulty levels just burned me out too quickly to want to play more at any level. A shame
Same. Too much durn combat for me to handle - and I finished Wiz8!

Excellent game, though.

sher

Educated

Ha-ha. I almost never use this school :eek:

:eek:

What's the problem? For defensive army it has too few uses. Rituals are crap. All spells are very situational. The only useful T1 spell is Astral Energy - it can give extra turn for your healer or increase SR for your solo Warrior. But scrolls can be obtained usually and when you know how to play without it you really do not need it. T2 spells are also very situational and can be obtained via scrolls. I prefer T2 Flame Blade and nice ritual to that pink school.

For offensive army it's a different story, yes.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I just had my first return into the astral. Fighting defensive on your own shard, when the opponent is on Master, and you have swamps around and he has extraordinarily weak opponents and can expand fast is brutal.

Kinda wonder why are people save scumming. With ability to return to astral, the only way how to be screwed up royally is when your opponent is fighting on your shard, and he assaults the same turn as your relief attempt failed.

Rpgsaurus Rex

If you get invaded and lose, it's game over (for real). Start a new campaign :devtroll:

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
When you get into astral before you lose, you can do better in the next attempt. Thought in that situation were I won, I had brutal fight at the beginning when main province had rebellion, and I found there are bit more units than I expected. After they disabled main hero, and wounded all other units one of them to 2 HP, I had a brutal fight when I tried to use a smart tactic with a swamp against theirs completely healthy swordsman and a pikeman.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Sure you can, you select into the past, and then you return to your last decision (which caused that invasion). Otherwise I'd be starting third time.

Rpgsaurus Rex

Pff, I guess they patched it. I haven't touched Campaign for two years.

Diablo169

Arcane
I picked the game up today based on the length of this thread and the overall positivity of the comments made. Having a blast so far and I've barely scratched the surface. I really hope the 3d remake does well. This guy deserves all the success that Firaaxis have had with their latest shit.

Rpgsaurus Rex

I picked the game up today based on the length of this thread and the overall positivity of the comments made. Having a blast so far and I've barely scratched the surface. I really hope the 3d remake does well. This guy deserves all the success that Firaaxis have had with their latest shit.

It's sort of a game that makes you love it at first sight, then you kind of get bored of it in 1-2 weeks because you think you've done everything you could (seen all buildings, all artifacts, all monsters, AI is dull ...).

Then, one day when you're craving a AoW/HoMM dose again, you'll try it again on a higher difficulty - and find out that you haven't even scratched the surface before... To me, it's pretty much the deepest, most challenging game in its genre for PvE.

It made a big splash on the Codex "you must play Eador! etc." and then suddenly this thread died. Hate to be patronizing, but I guess most people here are in transition from 1st to 2nd stage.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Yes its awesome but it grows tiring, as it did on em and several posters here. My advice: try not to overdo it, play in limited quantities.

sher

Educated
Yes its awesome but it grows tiring, as it did on em and several posters here. My advice: try not to overdo it, play in limited quantities.

It's extremely hard to stop playing it like crazy during "phase 1" :D But generally, yes, 1-2 parties at a time. Like chess, maybe.

And the campaign is very long and slow for beginners - they'll pass out most probably long before its end. Single map mode is much more intense and has its own flow.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom