Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Curratum

My character atm:

AB02A85252C9DEC397C6039AC11974BD5C05E07E

Never used the greataxe in other From games, but love how it looks in ER.

I need to know the name of that piece with the chain! I have radahn's things and the mask, just missing the other piece.

It's the starting armor of the hero class. I have it since start. Iirc I saw a nomad merchant that sells it but I couldn't say where.

Disregard the question. I am retarded. I had the exact same piece, bought it off a merchant, but somehow didn't recognize it paired with Radahn's greaves.

Here's my dude I posted a while back:

Medt7cV.jpeg

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Btw I see a lot of people are Fashion Soulsing again...not that I protest, it's just unlike DS3 armor actually seems to matter in this.

I don't even have a fixed look, constantly changing my gear to anti-phys, anti-rot, anti-magic, anti-death etc, depending on the circumstances. Just one example - fighting the Tree Spirit in the Rot Lake without a dedicated anti-rot gear is total waste of time. (Can't beat him even with it, sadgely.)

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Pure caster in terms of build is fine even if you play melee. I have only minimal weapon requirements in str and dex, and all in INT (defense stats: 35 in vigor, 25 in endurance, I get +5 from a talisman so the effective totals to 40 and 30), and all the INT scaled weapons do tons of damage. Even the Uchigatana with a magic ash of war is doing pretty decent.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
My idea was to go spellblade with Prisoner and have both melee and ranged pew pew as options.

I've done only cursory tests but I concluded pew-pew is kindda useless unless you REALLY lean into it and make a total glass cannon. Mixed melee/caster builds don't really work, at least they didn't for me.

Brickfrog

Learned
Sorcery gets good as shit in the very late game with 70 int and the infinite Mana flask.

Not sure about mixed sorcery yet, but the beast incantations are ok on a high strength low faith build though.

The only cost to adding beast incantations to a str build is like 14 points in faith + the upgrade stones for the beast seal.

Shrimp

Liturgist
I've seen lots of people running INT builds complain about the basic starter spell being their best offensive spell for far too long since it deals good damage when its cast time and FP cost is taken into account

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
All these people bitching about never wanting to play this game again need to consider the fact that they just beat a 70-100 hour game in less than 2 weeks. That's playing the game at a rate of >40 hours per week. Most Souls games take 70-100 hours to 100%, which usually means playing through NG+2. So this is the longest Souls by far and you basically just mainlined it straight into your veins all at once.

I'm playing this game a lot, but I've only done 40 hours so far. Still loving it. That could change, but for the moment my estimation of FromSoft is: DS1 > Elden Ring > DS2 > Sekiro > DS3 (never played Demon Souls or Bloodborne, so I can't rank them).

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I've seen lots of people running INT builds complain about the basic starter spell being their best offensive spell for far too long since it deals good damage when its cast time and FP cost is taken into account
Just use a magic ash of war, then a magic unique weapon with an even better weapon art. They're far more effective than spells unless you do the combo whammy people talk about of the mixed physick and channeled spell.

Curratum

All these people bitching about never wanting to play this game again need to consider the fact that they just beat a 70-100 hour game in less than 2 weeks. That's playing the game at a rate of >40 hours per week. Most Souls games take 70-100 hours to 100%, which usually means playing through NG+2. So this is the longest Souls by far and you basically just mainlined it straight into your veins all at once.

I'm playing this game a lot, but I've only done 40 hours so far. Still loving it. That could change, but for the moment my estimation of FromSoft is: DS1 > Elden Ring > DS2 > Sekiro > DS3 (never played Demon Souls or Bloodborne, so I can't rank them).

That's the catch. I was loving every second until maybe 60 hours in.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
My character atm:

AB02A85252C9DEC397C6039AC11974BD5C05E07E

Never used the greataxe in other From games, but love how it looks in ER.

Great Axe is actually a very viable pvp build. It made DaS3 bearable for me.

Mortmal

Arcane
Pebble its most efficient damage/fp ratio spell, and most important it has very good range. Late game rennala 's full moon and loretta's greatbow have better range and damage, especially moon which is small AOE damage too , but the cost is very high so most of the time you will just use pebble on trash mobs.On bosses when you use the infinite flask you just use azur comet or spam the rock sling.

kites

samsung verizon hitachi
Patron
does anyone know if armor-set bonuses are a thing in this? maybe obfuscated? though it's also hard to tell what all those status +/- are sometimes..

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
but the cost is very high so most of the time you will just use pebble on trash mobs

Late game trash takes two hits, for the non tanky varieties, up to 5 or 6 for the more hit absorbing foes, of moonveil or dark moon greatsword it takes serious wizard fundamentalism/roleplaying to resort to casting a pebble instead of using a ranged weapon art. I think last I checked on the weakest variants it was like 5 pebbles to take down on the same character with 70 INT.
And the weapon art opens up the tankier foes for critical staggers if done in melee.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I'm honestly more curious to see how the game's success (measured in sales and general positive reception) will affect other games. Are we in for a decade of cheap ER knockoffs now?
I don't think so. Dark Souls was already a big deal but we didn't see everyone jumping on that. The problem is that western AAA devs for example literally cannot comprehend why these games are popular. The Souls games do everything opposite of what AAA devs been conditioned into thinking is good game design. It becomes even more apparent that this is the case when you look at the seething frustration of the Horizon devs as they post how they can't understand why anyone would play Elden Ring over their game.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

Actual legit speedrun is out fellas

Actually the run is not legit because he is using a boss door exploit which ... is sad.

The sad part is, even with all the glitches to teleport, half of the speedrun is just a bunch of horsing around. This really shows how there's really no reasonable way of replaying this game without suffering the timewaster that is traversing the huge and boran open world.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

Actual legit speedrun is out fellas

Actually the run is not legit because he is using a boss door exploit which ... is sad.

The sad part is, even with all the glitches to teleport, half of the speedrun is just a bunch of horsing around. This really shows how there's really no reasonable way of replaying this game without suffering the timewaster that is traversing the huge and boran open world.

32 minutes of running before 1st real boss fight

:despair:

Foreskin Duo is still cancer

:love:

Brickfrog

Learned
Every speedrun iv ever seen looks unfun tho. It's cool to see major glitches but I can't imagine myself ever enjoying playing a game like that.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Foreskin Duo is still cancer

:love:

Tbh that particular glitch based speedrun route sounds like pure CBT. 32 minutes of running around without doing anything, then the only bosses you get to fight being the shitskin duo, gideon, maliketh, radagon and the beast..

Scratch that, actual CBT might be more fun than this.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom