Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Post your chars fags.
xAbsNOk.png

SI6ro5T.jpg

ejG67Ex.jpg

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
And the people who like Elden Ring are not the ones who like Dark Souls, unless they're NPCs.
Hello there.
Welcome to our forum.
We have threads to post in and an article section.
Feel free to take a look around!

Hello there.
Welcome to
Bye then.
See you around!

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
I decided to play a few hours of Dark Rolls 3 since many people who complained about this game seemed to be okay with DS3 and I wanted to figure out if they were memory holing or if I was. Comparison:

-Rolling has been clearly nerfed in Elden Ring. It's hard to say since it uses the same animation they've been using for a decade but it seems that your roll covers less distance, has a longer recovery period, and has a slight input delay, likely the same amount of iframes though. Pretty much every DS3 character felt like you were abusing the darkwood grain ring but this isn't the case in Elden Ring. Still disappointed that this game has no real mid roll.

-It's much easier to stagger/stunlock enemies in ds3, which gives the game a sort of tag feeling since rushing an enemy down and stunlocking them is often optimal. This is present in every souls game including Elden Ring but it's much more prominent in DS3 where large enemies have less poise. In Elden Ring spacing seems more powerful since you have a much wider variety of useful moves and can more easily open enemies up and bypass their defenses.

-In DS3 you seem much tankier but estus flasks heal for less, this should even out over a fight but it means you're more likely to be quickly killed in Elden Ring. However armour seems to matter more in Elden Ring, and there's many talismans and ashes of war you can abuse to tank up in specific situations.

-Enemy design is pretty similar between the two games but not the same. Every enemy in DS3 feels like the torch hollows from DS1, whereas Elden Ring has some insane flailing bitches, but also some slower enemies. Elden Ring enemies have many more delays and double hits to catch rolls and encourage you to dodge certain attacks by jumping, whereas DS3 enemies are faster and have many nigh instant attacks to poke you. They still have delayed attacks but less than in Elden Ring. Bosses in both games have retarded flailing combos. One big difference is that Elden Ring main story bosses start much harder than DS3 bosses do since you can delay them until later, and they also end much harder. It seems that since Elden Ring is so long From made the lategame bosses similar in design and difficulty to what would only be DLC bosses in previous games, with multiple phases and insane movesets and damage numbers.

-Builds actually matter in Elden Ring. DS3 was lets be real, barely an rpg, or not an rpg at all. Every build revolved around r1 dps and either rolling or a greatshield. There were a few niche builds but they were niche for a reason. In Elden Ring there's a really wide variety of things you can build around and strategies to approach every fight. Whether it's abusing 0 stamina blocking or status effects or powerful buffs or bleed or ashes of war or guard counters. Elden Ring gives you a lot of options and encourages you to build around them and use them. I'm thankful that From Soft once again made a game where I can beat enemies by working smarter rather than harder. However the classic Souls build of medium armour + quality weapon + medium shield is the probably weakest it's ever been. You really need to lean into what the game gives you.

-Lothric Knights are terrifying and make Godrick Knights look like weak virgins

Anyway my conclusion is that the people who complain about Elden Ring but not DS3 either have severe amnesia or think panic rolling is good gameplay. Hopefully whatever Souls-like From makes next continues with the gameplay improvements and chills out on the massive open world.

FrM7Yv9.jpg

Here's my character. She has blue hair either because she's an sjw or because sorcery makes your hair blue, you decide.

Curratum

Fuck this game. I'm putting it on pause. I can only deal with so much bullshit in several days in a row. Leyndell sewers are the pinnacle of shitty design from Miyazaki and company.

Everything is comboing you off a single hit, all things do status effects, gargoyles shove you off pipes, the game is making me mad and I don't want to deal with it right now.

Mojobeard

Augur
required me to level up Mind to the point where I actually had enough FP to summon it.
You should level Mind a little bit in this game anyway for weapon skills. And have ~2 FP potions on even a character that doesn't use spells.
The bullshit anime moves are there because they want you to use them. That's why you can make them scale from whichever stat, so that any build can use them.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
people who complain about Elden Ring but not DS3

You just had a major autistic nervous breakdown I don't even remember one person in this thread comparing ds3 favorably to ER, rather, most of us critics see ER taking on some of DS3's bad traits while also being an improvement in a few ways.

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
You just had a major autistic nervous breakdown I don't even remember one person in this thread comparing ds3 favorably to ER, rather, most of us critics see ER taking on some of DS3's bad traits while also being an improvement in a few ways.
I'm not referring to the codex when I say that.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Take my word with caution, because it's not always an obvious behavior so it may have existed even before, but it's something that became noticeable with DS2 (which I love but don't see as being without fault). In DS2 it was mostly used to punish healing when it wasn't done during an enemy downtime post combo and immediately elevate their aggression if they were doing nothing when you healed.

In Elden Ring the most obnoxious implementation is with the Crucible Knights. You can only really feel safe healing if you sprint very, very far away, and you can always sprint away in those fights so it's not exactly adding challenge, just tedium (on a side note, ER is very fond of making you keep that sprinting button between that and the enemy types that just spazz around entire arenas that keep making you run after them..).
Even Malenia, which is the boss I hated the most in the entire series of From games, doesn't go that hard against you healing up as Crucibles do. The only reason I didn't complain about it is that the Crucible are enjoyable fights otherwise, with all their hits properly telegraphed, a character model that doesn't cover the whole screen and no BS insta death.

Why sir I liketh thou birthdayth suit just fineth tee-hee *coquettishly gapes own asshole*

No but seriously try combining the ravenmount and confessor set pieces to start with.

Btw if someone could tell me whether the capes of head armors like the confessor or godskin hoods are able to drape over the shoulders of the tree sentinel chest piece (altered or otherwise) I will send you my bathwater ok thanks good luck!

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I decided to play a few hours of Dark Rolls 3 since many people who complained about this game seemed to be okay with DS3 and I wanted to figure out if they were memory holing or if I was. Comparison:

-Rolling has been clearly nerfed in Elden Ring. It's hard to say since it uses the same animation they've been using for a decade but it seems that your roll covers less distance, has a longer recovery period, and has a slight input delay, likely the same amount of iframes though. Pretty much every DS3 character felt like you were abusing the darkwood grain ring but this isn't the case in Elden Ring. Still disappointed that this game has no real mid roll.

-It's much easier to stagger/stunlock enemies in ds3, which gives the game a sort of tag feeling since rushing an enemy down and stunlocking them is often optimal. This is present in every souls game including Elden Ring but it's much more prominent in DS3 where large enemies have less poise. In Elden Ring spacing seems more powerful since you have a much wider variety of useful moves and can more easily open enemies up and bypass their defenses.

-In DS3 you seem much tankier but estus flasks heal for less, this should even out over a fight but it means you're more likely to be quickly killed in Elden Ring. However armour seems to matter more in Elden Ring, and there's many talismans and ashes of war you can abuse to tank up in specific situations.

-Enemy design is pretty similar between the two games but not the same. Every enemy in DS3 feels like the torch hollows from DS1, whereas Elden Ring has some insane flailing bitches, but also some slower enemies. Elden Ring enemies have many more delays and double hits to catch rolls and encourage you to dodge certain attacks by jumping, whereas DS3 enemies are faster and have many nigh instant attacks to poke you. They still have delayed attacks but less than in Elden Ring. Bosses in both games have retarded flailing combos. One big difference is that Elden Ring main story bosses start much harder than DS3 bosses do since you can delay them until later, and they also end much harder. It seems that since Elden Ring is so long From made the lategame bosses similar in design and difficulty to what would only be DLC bosses in previous games, with multiple phases and insane movesets and damage numbers.

-Builds actually matter in Elden Ring. DS3 was lets be real, barely an rpg, or not an rpg at all. Every build revolved around r1 dps and either rolling or a greatshield. There were a few niche builds but they were niche for a reason. In Elden Ring there's a really wide variety of things you can build around and strategies to approach every fight. Whether it's abusing 0 stamina blocking or status effects or powerful buffs or bleed or ashes of war or guard counters. Elden Ring gives you a lot of options and encourages you to build around them and use them. I'm thankful that From Soft once again made a game where I can beat enemies by working smarter rather than harder. However the classic Souls build of medium armour + quality weapon + medium shield is the probably weakest it's ever been. You really need to lean into what the game gives you.

-Lothric Knights are terrifying and make Godrick Knights look like weak virgins

Anyway my conclusion is that the people who complain about Elden Ring but not DS3 either have severe amnesia or think panic rolling is good gameplay. Hopefully whatever Souls-like From makes next continues with the gameplay improvements and chills out on the massive open world.

FrM7Yv9.jpg

Here's my character. She has blue hair either because she's an sjw or because sorcery makes your hair blue, you decide.

Her period is brutal.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Fuck this game. I'm putting it on pause. I can only deal with so much bullshit in several days in a row. Leyndell sewers are the pinnacle of shitty design from Miyazaki and company.

Everything is comboing you off a single hit, all things do status effects, gargoyles shove you off pipes, the game is making me mad and I don't want to deal with it right now.

You completed 60% of the game and now you quit because of an optional area!? You are not a true Elden Lord.

Curratum

You completed 60% of the game and now you quit because of an optional area!? You are not a true Elden Lord.

To my brain, there are no optional areas in From games, which is why ER is such a pain to play sometimes. And you and I both know I will be back on this shit by this evening.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
The Radahn fight is maybe the lowest point of From ever. You can't defend this shit.

It warms my soul to see that I was not the only one! :)

Radahn is chill compared to what comes next.

:troll:

Radahn was the only boss I spent most of an evening trying to beat. Kill didn't even feel satisfying when I finally got it.

Definitely the hardest and most annoying boss in the game for me, even Malenia only took a couple of attempts.

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
people who complain about Elden Ring but not DS3

I still much prefer DS3 to ER.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom