Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
So how is the multiplayer? Are there covenants?

Almost tempted to get it legit as i never experienced a fresh launch of a From game.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
BTW, it seems western cuck developers are mad about this game lmao:

People complain a lot about journos but it's obvious why we no longer have good games anymore: the devs and the journos are cut from the same cloth.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I picked up an Xbox Elite Controller today and it makes a huge difference and highly recommend using any controller with backpaddles. Maybe I'm just a retard who doesn't hold controllers correctly but after getting used to the Steam Controller I'd never touch one without backpaddles again. The Elite's 4 backpaddles are fully programmable via Steam Input so you can do things like the paddles holding Y+L1/R1 for 1H/2H, sprinting on the back of the controller so sprint+jump+attack doesn't require hand gymnastics.
12wpWDh.png

I love the Steam Controller but there's only two backpaddles and the trackpad isn't ideal for third person games.

You can get three regular controllers for the price of that one lmao no thanks.

Funposter

Arcane
Well I finally 100%'d the game and I feel disgusting. Profile says 79hrs 46mins but Steam says 90 hours. This is the first time I've really no-lifed a game since Kingdom Come: Deliverance came out, and I was unemployed when that happened, so at least I had an excuse to be spending nearly 8 hours a day on it. I might write up a sort of proper review of the game a little bit later today as I continue to gather my thoughts on it and the monster that FromSoft have created, but my main takeaway from the whole experience is that I enjoyed myself, while simultaneously, never wanting to touch the game ever again.
see ya in the critique thread. I think I'm about to tap out myself. Bested the Elden Beast, but Manelia man...not sure I'm even enjoying the fight lol
Malenia is fine except for the Waterfowl Dance move which is just busted and the AOE at the start of phase 2 is goofy. I think she just needs to float in the air for maybe 2 more seconds when she goes up for the Waterfowl Dance so that the player has adequate time to prepare for it, whereas right now you're basically guaranteed to take some amount of damage from it if she jumps up and you were already moving in to engage with her.

Correct_Carlo

Arcane

Almost tempted to get it legit as i never experienced a fresh launch of a From game.

For me it doesn't work half the time. And the few times I've summoned someone to co-op, 9 times out of 10, we end up being invaded.

I like co-op, so I always play online, but PvP invasions have always bored me in DS games. Most times, if I'm alone and I'm invaded, I'll just immediately suicide in a place that's easy to get back to in order to retrieve my souls. I care so little that I don't even want to put up a fight.

Correct_Carlo

Arcane

Yeah, and each will last 4-5 months. I used to buy these janky $35 controllers. I loved the way they felt, but they'd last 6 months tops before one of the buttons would jam or something else would break.. I finally said fuck it an paid $120 for one and I've had it for 2 years now and it still works.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

Yeah, and each will last 4-5 months. I used to buy these janky $35 controllers. I loved the way they felt, but they'd last 6 months tops before one of the buttons would jam or something else would break.. I finally said fuck it an paid $120 for one and I've had it for 2 years now and it still works.

The Xbox One controller lasted me 3 years and it still works perfectly except for the LB button (which works if i press it further up, i'm now wondering whether it's the clicker that's failing or if it's just the plastic that wore out). No stick drift either, which i heard was an issue with the Elite 1 series.

That's 60 euros versus 168 for the Elite 2.

Meanwhile the original 360 controller lasted me for five years and i'm really regretting i gave it to my nephew when i bought the One controller.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

For me it doesn't work half the time. And the few times I've summoned someone to co-op, 9 times out of 10, we end up being invaded.

I like co-op, so I always play online, but PvP invasions have always bored me in DS games. Most times, if I'm alone and I'm invaded, I'll just immediately suicide in a place that's easy to get back to in order to retrieve my souls. I care so little that I don't even want to put up a fight.

Well, that's you though. I like the tension created by invasions, as long as it doesn't get overboard (as in, as long as you don't get invaded every square inch of the game, which rarely happened in the older games as by the time i bought them the pvp scene had gone down already).

I also like helping others (not so much getting helped by them as i want to do the content solo).

I tried to google it and it seems there's little info on covenants and stuff like that. Are they even in the game at all?

vmar

Savant
I'm a huge souls fanboy and have wasted 1000s of hours of my life on these games but I just finished Leyendell after 71 hours and I just want the damn game to end. After killing the boss and doing the thing after I was thinking that I surely must be done but apparently there's another zone I have to go to now. This might be the first souls game I don't immediately replay.

Open world was a mistake.

Brickfrog

Learned
There is an item description which explains that radahn learned gravity magic so he could keep riding his favorite horse.

Dataminers have said the horse is named Leonard in some files.

Much respect to leonard maybe the my favorite character in any souls game

ADL

Prophet
I got mine for $65 on eBay which seems to be about the going price if you're willing to do auctions instead of buy it nows. That's the MSRP for the Dualsense year round because they never go on sale. Back paddles are the future, especially after Valve got SCUF's patent dismissed. It's nice to not have to perform hand gymnastics on a standard controller to do something basic like sprint+jump+attack in a Souls game.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I'm a huge souls fanboy and have wasted 1000s of hours of my life on these games but I just finished Leyendell after 71 hours and I just want the damn game to end. After killing the boss and doing the thing after I was thinking that I surely must be done but apparently there's another zone I have to go to now. This might be the first souls game I don't immediately replay.

It may be the open world, it also may be the sheer size. People nolife this game for a week straight with zero toilet breaks and then complain about a burnout.

I mean I love DS2 to death but the first time I played, I did a 100% run with all DLCs, it took me almost a 100 nolife hours and after that I had my fill with not just Souls, not just aRPGs but with games in general for weeks to follow.

I think the view of the game will clear out in the coming months. The game is so overwhelming and we've been gobbling it up like Tony Montana snorts cocaine. We need to sleep on it, sober up, have some hearty breakfast and a cup of coffee and then talk about it in the morning.

Last edited:

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here

It may be the open world, it also may be the sheer size. People nolife this game for a week straight with zero toilet breaks and then complain about a burnout.

I mean I love DS2 to death but the first time I played, I did a 100% run with all DLCs, it took me almost a 100 nolife hours and after that I had my fill with not just Souls, not just aRPGs but with games in general for weeks to follow.

I think the view of the game will clear out in the coming months. The game is so overwhelming and we've been gobbling it up like Tony Montana snorts cocaine. We need to sleep on it, sober up, have some hearty breakfast and a cup of coffee and then talk about it in the morning.

I only have a couple hours a day if I am lucky, so burnout is not a problem. But it still is to fucking huge and I am losing interest...

Wunderbar

Arcane
Another thing that adds to the burnout is the fact that Elden Ring's concepts are still mostly rehashes of something that was already introduced in previous souls games.

Stormveil is really good, but there's only so many times you can rehash a castle theme before it becomes stale, and Stormveil is basically Boletaria/High wall of Lothric but on steroids. Same with Raya Lucaria Academy, it's basically an Anor Londo/Duke's Archive mishmash.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Finished it, took 50 hours ended up level 148. Feels like I did most content, though I apparently missed one area as according to Steam achievements I didn't kill either Dragonlord Placidusax or Mohg. Guess I'll get those on a replay in the future.

Last quarter of the game became a bit of a chore, as others have said.

Final stats:
3opzERi.png

Congrats on finishing it. Mohg it's easily one of the best bosses in the game, it's worth at least playing again until there.

Yeah I'll definitely replay in the not too distant future, hopefully after FROM have resolved some of the performance issues.

I want to try a dex/fast build next.

Curratum

I swear to god, if I get one-shot by the perfumer guards burst-fire bullshit crossbow from 40 vigor one more time, I'm going to delete this game.

Shrimp

Liturgist
Stormveil is really good, but there's only so many times you can rehash a castle theme before it becomes stale, and Stormveil is basically Boletaria/High wall of Lothric but on steroids. Same with Raya Lucaria Academy, it's basically an Anor Londo/Duke's Archive mishmash.
I've been thinking about this multiple times during my playthrough.
From likes reusing ideas and concepts which by itself is completely fine - but it feels like the lines between references and rehashes becomes thinner with every new game. DS3 was very shameless about bringing in old elements (and in some case just directly copying them), but now that some things also appear yet again it feels like they've been cemented as staples in the games. From has started self-referencing themselves so much that some of their locations, character archetypes etc. essentially have become From Software tropes by themselves. Unfortunately this makes you ponder if they were going for something original or if you are simply trying to find connections or references in places where they simply aren't present.

A grand library full of sorcerers could easily fit into just about any medieval fantasy setting, but does Elden Ring have one because it's a good set piece or because they wanted to create another Dukes Archives or Grand Archives?
Are all swamps (poisonous or not) a reference to Blighttown or Valley of Defilement, or are they just a classic example of a hard-to-traverse fantasy landscape? If it started out as the latter, at what point did it turn into the former?
Is fire magic being associated with some sort of chaotic entity simply based on real life associations with fire and its destructive properties, or is it because From ran out of ideas and just wanted to make an equivalent to the Flame of Chaos/Izalith?
Is Alexander - a large and hearty but goofy warrior who on at least two occasions gets stuck or trapped - simply a common archetype, or did they want to create another Siegmeyer?

Their characters and locations end up often referencing their old games so much they've come to be tropes people have grown to expect to see. The result of this is that every time you encounter something new it makes you wonder if something was included because it simply is a cool fantasy element or if it was intended to be a deliberate reference or throwback to an older game made by the same developers.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Sadly, this game's success means we'll be getting more of the same for a long time to come. With the name reset they can just give up Elden Ring 2 and Elden Ring 3 and pretend this isn't just Dark Souls ad infinitum.

And if you think the game is too long just wait until they start adding DLCs lmao.

Shrimp

Liturgist
Sadly, this game's success means we'll be getting more of the same for a long time to come. With the name reset they can just give up Elden Ring 2 and Elden Ring 3 and pretend this isn't just Dark Souls ad infinitum.

And if you think the game is too long just wait until they start adding DLCs lmao.
That's my fear as well.
People were already expecting the game to be Dark Souls 4 in everything but name long before the game came out. While I'm sure that's what millions of people essentially wanted the game to be anyway it did end up essentially discrediting their "We aren't making any more Dark Souls games" statements.
I'm honestly more curious to see how the game's success (measured in sales and general positive reception) will affect other games. Are we in for a decade of cheap ER knockoffs now?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom