Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Cromwell

Arcane
AFAIK this only works with the special on at the bottom of Raya Lucaria. Every other Iron Virgin will just kill you.

definetly doesnt work with the normal mobs

SumDrunkGuy

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I guess you can't dodge that slam attack he does in the second stage unless you are on the horse. Lame.

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
Elden Ring lore explains all of this. Caelid was completely destroyed by Malenia.
This makes no sense. Caelid isn't empty, the rot did not make it empty. It's filled with rotted mutated creatures because of the rot. Redmane has plenty of enemies normally and is only empty during the Radahn festival.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Ho, he does that slam attack even before the second stage. Can't out roll it, guess i need to summon horse to get out of it.

I am at Radahn now too. Toughest boss so far, no doubt, even with the summoning NPCs gimmick. Can't do shit to him on foot, and only managed to get his health low when staying mostly on horse just kiting him and summoning NPCs. That 40 VGR of mine means shit to him, guy can two shot me with many attacks it seems.

SumDrunkGuy

Elden Ring lore explains all of this. Caelid was completely destroyed by Malenia.
This makes no sense. Caelid isn't empty, the rot did not make it empty. It's filled with rotted mutated creatures because of the rot. Redmane has plenty of enemies normally and is only empty during the Radahn festival.

People were complaining about Caelid being empty. I'm just saying there's a reason for that. It's supposed to feel empty and barren compared to the other places. And apparently Redmane is more welcoming when Radahn wants to kill fuckers.

illuknisaa

Cipher
On journey 1 I had trouble with radahn (this was also before his nerf). I tried just staying out of is his with horse and using the summons and slinging spells but then I found it was much easier just to melee him. Try to position yourself behind him and pretty much all of his attacks miss and he is less likely to use those gravity ball spells (the one where he summons many balls killed me many times The range and tracking makes the horse a deathtrap).

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Well, there you go, SL35, +10 weapon:

Kinda of a shit show sadly. I couldn't finish it this morning as i had to leave so i tried again but was still in "practice" mode so i wasn't really expecting much, but once i saw i basically had him i figured fuck it, let's finish it.

There's an hilarious bit where i'm chasing him around but he wouldn't stop running lmao. I was trying to experiment if it was possible to stay behind him 100% of the time, but i guess not lol.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
BTW, i did figure out you can avoid that energy wave he does after that jump attack by rolling exactly at the right time but as you can see in the video i opted to jump on my horse and just run for my life lmao.

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Wait a second, i thought you guys were jocking about that.

How the fuck would that even work wouldn't they just clip into each other and turn into a mangled mess of hit box hell.
The area is vast and it's hard to trigger them at the same time. Every time I went there, they spawned one after the other and I fought all of them 1 on 1. Fighting 3 of them at the same time would probably be impossible, because the faraway ones would just spam the screaming grab attack over and over, leaving you very little time to do anything but rolling away.

Anyway, I thought I was done with ER, but while I'm playing Solasta's DLC I kind of want to go back to it again. I'm thinking about playing around with the Sword of St Trina to see how effective it really is.

A good spot to farm runes mid-game: just north of Sellia there is a grace bonfire in a shack, with a trader next to it. The plateau in front of it has those mutated rotten dogs, each one dropping 1800 runes, at least 7-8 of them near the shack. And once you get their patterns down, they are pretty easy to farm safely.
Porkster, if you need to farm runes to buy upgrade materials or something, there is a late game area that you can access early in the game (you can definitely already access it if you're going around killing sick doggos in Caelid) that completely trumps every other possible farming method. You can get almost 30k runes in a matter of seconds if you have an AoE attack, and even with regular melee combat you can get that same amount by facing mostly harmless enemies.

Just go through Varre's quest (the guy with the white mask that you find at the beginning of the game). Speak to him at his original location and then again at the blood-infested Rose Church in Liurnia. Once you get teleported to a new area, go towards the forest instead of exploring the mountain/mausoleum.
But due to how runes rewards work in this game, I don't think farming is really worth it. Just going through the game by exploring almost everything gives you enough runes to reach level 180, and it's hard to need anything more than that, even if you're buying every special piece of equipment.

Last edited:

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Wait a second, i thought you guys were jocking about that.

How the fuck would that even work wouldn't they just clip into each other and turn into a mangled mess of hit box hell.
The area is vast and it's hard to trigger them at the same time. Every time I went there, they spawned one after the other and I fought all of them 1 on 1. Fighting 3 of them at the same time would probably be impossible, because the faraway ones would just spam the screaming grab attack over and over, leaving you very little time to do anything but rolling away.

Anyway, I thought I was done with ER, but while I'm playing Solasta's DLC I kind of want to go back to it again. I'm thinking about playing around with the Sword of St Trina to see how effective it really is.

Fuck that. I just cast the invisible spell and equipped the talisman to reduce noise then crept around to the left, grabbed the talisman and noped out of there. Not fighting three of those things just for a glowy.

Well, there you go, SL35, +10 weapon

Yeah well that +10 weapon seems to be doing way more damage than my +14 Longsword. I guess I'll have to try dual wield build eventually, but I'm maintaining a tradition of doing a first run as a sword and shield guy for every new Souls game. Also your video now got me butthurt and I'm torturing myself on this big faggot without summoning. I might still cheese him later with NPCs if I lose my patience.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
BTW, there's a way to avoid getting hit by that last cluster of arrows he shoots at you, at least a way i found to be relatively consistent. Doesn't show on my victory recording so here's an example from an earlier attempt:

Nothing fancy, all i'm doing is trying to bait that attack so that some of the arrows get caught by that pile of junk on the ground. Might be a better way but this seemed to work for me most of the times.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Well, there you go, SL35, +10 weapon

Yeah well that +10 weapon seems to be doing way more damage than my +14 Longsword. I guess I'll have to try dual wield build eventually, but I'm maintaining a tradition of doing a first run as a sword and shield guy for every new Souls game. Also your video now got me butthurt and I'm torturing myself on this big faggot without summoning. I might still cheese him later with NPCs if I lose my patience.

It's the bleed. He might be particularly weak to it for "lore" reasons i don't know. I was surprised when i saw how big the proc was.

BTW, dual wielding is good if you know your roll fu. You are giving up a shield for that damage don't forget that.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
BTW, what's with the boss area. It's huge but there seems to be nothing. I mean i know there's a cave because i found that wierd statue thingy top side but other than some corpses with arrows so far it seems completely empty.

Sunri

Liturgist
eghtotrnd2u81.jpg

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Beat Malenia after only 7-8 tries. I think Mohg gave me more trouble. She's nothing compared to half the Sekiro bosses.

She's built to punish blockers so my standard greatsword tactics were out the window. Luckily however I just happened to have a +25 Bleeding Twinblade w/ Bloodhound Step I use for PvP. Combine with Millicent's rot talisman, the talisman that heals from combos (not much but it helps), mixed physick with the same abilities (thorny tears), Golden Vow, Flame give me strength, and Blackflame protection, she's very beatable. Her second phase was actually easier than her first, once I made it that far I beat her first try because she dodges way less and her attacks are hella telegraphed.

For Waterfoul dance, when she hovers just run tf away. She did it 4-5 times and I still won. The only RNG thing was to try to pin her against a wall in her first phase to minimize how much she can dodge. If I let her come to the entrance I had an easier time, if I ran out to fight her in the open she would get out of my combos more often.

She does seem like the only boss so far that is nearly unbeatable without specific builds, so that's kind of bullshit I guess.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I may be in the minority, but I actually liked the post capital sections of the game. Most of the things that I found cancerous at first seemed more like puzzles that could be addressed by "solving" them and adjusting the way I approached them. I also like the general feeling of an epic quest that sends you to the ends of the earth to get what you need. Since you're basically trying to kill god, I think that's appropriate for the setting.

I also thought that many of the later bosses were fun, and Hoarah Loux was a good time. Elden Beast sucks.

It seems to me like the no openings complaint is overblown for most of the content, however, there were some fights where I was definitely feeling this. So, for the most part, I think all of these things are fine in the game.

But I agree with this 158.3%:

Thing is, if you go back, and I mean all the way back, to Demon's Souls tutorial, the boss there, the Vanguard, had quite a considerable windup to his attack. It made for a tense moment as you watched him and prepared to dodge. But the thing is, when the actual attack came out, it was fast but not at lightning speed meaning you didn't have to actually count the seconds until you had to press dodge, it was entirely possible to dodge on visual cue and reflexes alone. This delay in attack animation has always been there in these games but it was only in Dark Souls 3 when the bullshit reared its ugly head the most. It became almost impossible to dodge on visual cues because the attack after the windup came out much too fast to allow any possible reaction. To compound the problem, even if you did manage the feat of dodging without time keeping, DS3 massively extended the range, tracking capability and combo length of the bosses. You might have dodged the initial part of the attack, but it was also very possible you could just have rolled into another part of the hitbox or simply get smashed by the followup attack. The tracking also meant if you didn't dodge at the exact moment, the boss didn't commit to the direction and simply turned around to stab you. Elden Ring takes all of this garbage DS3 did and ramps it up to 11. The combos are longer, the hitboxes are larger, the tracking is ridiculous - fucking Radagon alone can turn multiple times fully 360 to hit you - a lot of attacks come accompanied by area of effect damage and there is absolutely no consistency inside the moveset of a single boss who have attacks they can hold for several seconds and attacks that just pop out of nowhere.

From needs to ditch this retarded weird delay shit followed by instant attack. I think the worst offender in that regard are the dumb catdog statues that have no swing animation, it's like an on/off switch of either winding up to attack or already attacked. Dumb as hell and a large part of what makes them not fun to fight (that and they look stupid both when still and when moving). It'd have been better to give them a move set more like the golems.

The other thing is the tracking. Some of the wind up, you dodge, it spins and hits you, can make sense and even look plausible. For instance, it didn't bother me that much in DS2 like it did for some people. However, when you dodge like 0.1 seconds too early and it still does it, it's retarded. This probably requires a finer sense of balancing. And when the non-homing missile ranged and charge attacks do it, it's ridiculous. There's nothing quite like watching arrows curve to follow you or watching a guy turn 90 degrees around a corner in his whirlwind charge thing. That's complete bullshit and it looks dumb to boot.

Where are they going with this enemy design? Logic and common sense are going out the window, and they are just plopping shit together that makes no sense at all, like wtf are those statues supposed to be in the game world?

You are talking about an enemy that is immediately evocative of possibly the most (in)famous torture device to be referenced in popular media: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_maiden

It is astounding how little you know - about anything - considering your advanced age. "Metal woman-shaped statue thing opens up??? And there are spikes inside?!?!? No way!!"

Please read a book to preserve the last few of your geriatric brain cells. Or a newspaper. Or one of those brochures the nice lady in white hands out in your home's lobby to the visiting families of other residents.

Woke up on the wrong side of the bed yet again, eh friendo?

Perhaps it's more evocative to you, given your current location. Me, I don't ever recall seeing an iron maiden with those chain anchor things, nor one that wasn't an inanimate object. You are probably right though, that's what it's supposed to be, given ER's design philosophy, nothing beats fighting a piece of furniture.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Damn, i'm doing co-op and 70% of the times i get summoned from Radahn now.

Which is bad 'cause it takes 20 minutes to kill just to get muh Rune Arc. But it's kinda fun now because i can use all the most ludicrous cheese tactics i want lul.

Fun fact: rotten breath tick stops when he jumps away but keeps going once the second stage begins. Just have the summons fight him and he'll die by himself.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom