Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
What a stupid, garbage, article. How can Elden Ring be the new standard for open world games when it doesn't even do anything innovative or differently. It rehashes the exact same design principles that these lame open world games, which serve to waste your time, have been using for decades now. Here's a big open field. Now go waste several minutes getting to the content. Oh, there'll also be a bunch of useless shit along the way to pad things out - sometimes there will be nothing, so enjoy walking around with no content to engage with; but hey at least the landscape looks pretty. Also since we're too lazy to create unique engaging content; here's repeated crap of the same crap except it's remixed. Did we mention resource gathering too? Go collect it now so you can engage in our enthralling crafting. Making tools and potions which you'll probably never use and have piled up within the inventory. Did I mention grace markers too (which are basically copy pasta ubisoft radio towers) those freakin' things are everywhere. Whatever happened to careful placement of checkpoints.

Utterly despise open world games. Give me tight levels with well designed encounters in a coherent world that makes sense. Instead of garbage that an exhausted designer came up with in order to fill the content quota.

Anyways. All Elden Ring's success proves is that the whole industry has been wrong about streamlining and dumbyfing game elements. If you have a good core experience which is challenging and fun, people will enjoy it and buy it. Yet I feel like devs are probably going to just copy pasta Elden Ring in a very uncreative manner. You saw "souls-like" are you ready for "open-world-souls-like". A genre ripe for countless shitty games from uncreative, unoriginal, devs.

Last edited:

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
What a stupid, garbage, article. How can Elden Ring be the new standard for open world games when it doesn't even do anything innovative or differently. It rehashes the exact same design principles

I like open world games for a variety of reasons, but this is true. Elden Ring is just a relatively standard OW game, though less grindy than some of them are, with Souls combat. The combination is fun, but that doesn't make it revolutionary.

ferratilis

Magister
Remember how post Witcher 3 open world games tried to copy its approach to open world and quest design: AC Origins, Horizon Zero Dawn, Ghost of Tsushima and others? Witcher 3 is already an imperfect game, these games have just emphasized its negative points. Now we will have a bunch of AAA games trying to copy Elden Ring's approach, without the great combat that From is known for. Whether you like it or not, you can predict the next five years of AAA industry just by looking at Elden Ring.

Zurbo

Novice
Remember how post Witcher 3 open world games tried to copy its approach to open world and quest design: AC Origins, Horizon Zero Dawn, Ghost of Tsushima and others? Witcher 3 is already an imperfect game, these games have just emphasized its negative points. Now we will have a bunch of AAA games trying to copy Elden Ring's approach, without the great combat that From is known for. Whether you like it or not, you can predict the next five years of AAA industry just by looking at Elden Ring.
I naively pray every night for it not to happen
:shredder:

SumDrunkGuy

I'm all for more open world games like Breath of the Wild and Elden Ring. The problem is I don't want From Software making strictly open world games. They did that and it was awesome, and now I would like for them to return to the smaller interconnected worlds they're best known for.

Also people need to stop acting like Elden Ring invented this shit. Breath of the Wild did it first. Elden Ring just combined it's Souls formula with Zelda.

Dadd

Learned
From should stop effing up their "ineffable" soulless games and make a new Armored Core instead. The open world is diametrically opposed to good level design in better Souls titles.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
To report my playthrough, my Rusty Anchor is level 16, I'm level 90 and I finished the capital. Now it's off to the giants.

The openness bores me. I was thorough in the first area but now I just beeline from boss to boss. I'm 45 hours in and I hope it's over soon.

In the next game you're probably in a mysterious land of food. It won't have anything to do with Dark Souls. In this land, the mysterious eggs have lost their power and are cursed never to be peeled.

You'll play as an Unpeeled One and collect the Eggshell Fragments, each which were given to the Breakfast Lords. It is said that when you hold all the Eggshell Fragments you can use the Egg of Eternity to ascend and become a Breakfast Lord. Only an Unpeeled One who becomes a Breakfast Lord has the power to Flip the Table although nobody knows for certain what this means. Except that it had been done once in the past to save the Dinner Table, but the power has long waned and now the land is enveloped by a mysterious Mold.

Will you brave the mysterious Mold, Unpeeled One?

So I can't figure this out, but can ALL the NPCs in this game be killed? Does this have universal character death?

Initially I though the answer was no due to how the roundtable hold works, but I see there are many quests that off the npcs. So i want to know if every single one can eventually be killed or not.

curds

Magister
So I can't figure this out, but can ALL the NPCs in this game be killed? Does this have universal character death?

Initially I though the answer was no due to how the roundtable hold works, but I see there are many quests that off the npcs. So i want to know if every single one can eventually be killed or not.
Can't answer you for certain, but this video would imply that there are NPCs who can never be killed in a normal game.

Can't answer you for certain, but this video would imply that there are NPCs who can never be killed in a normal game.

I see. Then yet another point of decline for ER.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
I am the only one (here ) that never finished the game? Far too long, big and filler heavy for me.

Didn't finish it either. I got so bored at the end by the same, but unreasonably buffed up enemies.

Nathir

Liturgist
Notice how she goes for the forward roll into Malenia at the end and punishes her. Meanwhile the average codexer is holding back and thinking: "Omg I literally have zero openings! This is bad game design!"

Villagkouras

Arcane
Notice how she goes for the forward roll into Malenia at the end and punishes her. Meanwhile the average codexer is holding back and thinking: "Omg I literally have zero openings! This is bad game design!"
Malenia has been nerfed in 1.06, the dance is much easier to dodge.

Bloodeyes

Arcane
Are you sure you haven't just gotten better? I haven't heard this from any other source.

Edit: I asked in the Let Me Solo Her discord. He's killed Malenia over 1,000 times on stream so if anyone would notice a change its him.

Last edited:

Nathir

Liturgist

I was talking about her rolling into the explosion at the end. Not sure how your post relates to mine?

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
They didn't nerf her per se, but they did buff light rolling in a big way which made it easier.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom