Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Damn, i just loaded up my SL1 character but i'm not feeling it as i don't remember what i had done and where i was at. Guess if i decide to actually commit to an SL1 run i'd have to start from scratch.

If an ER player tried to play DS1 they would be challenged despite being "trained" on much faster enemies, because the PC in DS1 is also much slower. To me its a gross misconception that the ER bosses are simply faster and more aggressive to give the players more challenge, because the other side of the coin is what the player can do and thats become just as ridiculous. DS1 has action economy because almost everything costs a lot of stamina and the recovery frames for even the fastest actions are quite large; ER doesn't really have an action economy by comparison, the game is actually about ashes, rolling on reaction and timing blue and red bar refills.

Starting DS3 PC is a bit faster compared to previous games but it feels to me like enemies are even more sped up and it annoys the crap out of me. With some bosses I felt like they were playing Devil May Cry while I was still stuck playing by Souls rules. Huge dudes with insane agility and long combos where I am spending most of the fight trying to avoid them. Maybe it's just me getting tired of Souls combat in general but it didn't feel quite like this in first two games. And that's why Sekiro felt so refreshing to me in comparison because at least for most fights there I was getting up in their faces and punishing them instead of dodging around the arena like a helpless faggot.

Last edited:

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
rrd.png

The adventures of my cutie began without a clear plan, so I obviously ended up playing my favorite build: forget the other stats even exist and only level up Vigor. Margit is the only real boss I've fought so far, and I've basically tanked every one of his attacks without a care in the world. Even without armor, I could safely take 5-6 hits without worrying about dying. Now I'm at >1k HP before Godrick.

I love how people used to dismiss the "just level up Vigor bro" as a meme, when it's clearly the easiest way to play, especially in the early game. I still remember when someone here got mad I could facetank Malenia's explosive dive bomb without dying.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
End game is 60 vigor in this game for a reason. I intentionally capped at 40 just to make it a bit harder and i basically got near one shotted by half the shit towards the end.

Caim

Arcane
40 Vigor might be feasible if you wear armor with the best defenses based on what you're facing, but if not... yeah, you're going to need that 60.

typical user

Arbiter
Bosses being faster is one thing, but they also get disgusting AoE attacks which can glass you instantly.

Fuck that Erdtree Knight before Beast Clergyman in Farum Azula. The only thing he lacked was farting fire balls.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
40 Vigor might be feasible if you wear armor with the best defenses based on what you're facing, but if not... yeah, you're going to need that 60.

I finished it with 40 vigor using the briar set and it basically felt like i was already doing a SL1 run at points lmao.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Bosses being faster is one thing, but they also get disgusting AoE attacks which can glass you instantly.

Fuck that Erdtree Knight before Beast Clergyman in Farum Azula. The only thing he lacked was farting fire balls.

Draconic Sentinel ain't that hard. The only tricky move he does is that lighting strike and he gives you plenty of time to prepare for it. Ho and there's that one jump shield slam he does with fucked up hit box but that's common to all the Tree Sentinel dudes, right from the first one.

Wait until you fight the electric dragon if you think the Draconic Sentinel was bad lmao.

Last edited:

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
Honestly I'm not much interested in anything further from FS, at least as it pertains to ER. They might surprise me with the DLC but I really really doubt it. The game has too many fundamental flaws that would probably require rebuilding from the ground up. I'll be very disappointed - but not surprised - if the DLC ends up being a new medium sized area and a bunch of malenia style bosses.

Everyone keeps bleating about how the massive success of ER means we're going to be inundated with AAA ER/souls clones. Yeah right -- if only! It's the same situation as skyrim, this insanely popular product and it certainly seems like business would want to attempt to rip them off as a safe maneuver but... there are literally ZERO competitors, there's not even people attempting something similar. I want this to happen and it's just not.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
From a design perspective, it's much easier to make western-style AAA (à la God of War and Forbidden West) for the same amount of work, so we'll pretty much never see any competition to FS.

They don't even try to compete with the classic Souls formula, or timidly do so.
To be fair if I were in the industry and witnessed Bloodborne or Sekiro, I wouldn't try either. At this point you'd just suffer the comparison.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
As if there's any company out there who could do what FromSoftware is doing.

Yes, Skyrim is only popular because it's the only game of its kind and it is a mystery why no company has tried to make a competing LARPing simulator, not the least because Skyirm is an incompetent piece of amateurish junk and it wouldn't take much effort to come up with something better.

But Elden Ring? You are dreaming if you think there's any company out there who could come up with something like this and top it to boot. Elden Ring is only "bad" compared to other FromSoft titles. When pitted against every other game out there it is so far ahead it's not even in the same universe. Imagine Ubishit and other retarded modern nu-companies trying lmao.

Hell, just the fact none of those companies could even understand what made Skyrim tick shows you how bad things truly are.

I mean, Dark Souls 1 itself brought a thousand "soulslikes" that play nothing like Dark Souls. My guess is that devs will keep adding checkpoints, rolls and stamina bars, and call it a day. They don't get why FS games got popular. They probably think FS came out of the blue, when the entire Souls line is more of a passion project that got big. They were the kind of studio who would develop an entire series of games ripping off Ultima Underworld... It's a different design philosophy.

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
Get rid of the fucktarded anime combos (both players and enemies), aoe attacks, way oversized weapons (other than weapons with special lore), increase stamina costs of actions, slow down movement, make each combat decision more consequential. Eliminate katanas from the game.

Elder Ring was utter shit. These games are mostly about combat, and with ER, FS totally mucked that up. They really need to stop pandering to twitchy young morons. DaS1 was slow and methodical for a reason.

Bloodeyes

Arcane
Damn, i just loaded up my SL1 character but i'm not feeling it as i don't remember what i had done and where i was at. Guess if i decide to actually commit to an SL1 run i'd have to start from scratch.
How far did you get? I recently deleted my SL1 save. I just had to admit to myself I'm never actually going to feel motivated to return to it. I got Godrick, Renala and Radahn. I probably would have got Morgott as well but I doubt I would have been able to get much further than that.

The only instances of combat where I felt twitchiness became a necessity was during the ulcerated tree boss fights. those things were annoying. while bosses have longer combos now, it's just a matter of finding the right weapon and item, now more than ever *cue endless kamehameha clips

Bloodeyes

Arcane
Today I'm parrying with curved swords. I don't think there is a harder parry than this. I've had to go all the way back to gatefront ruins and practice this one on the Godrick soldiers. Even a regular dagger is easier. You have to compensate for the startup but it at least looks like a parry. I may never be able to use this one on tough enemies.

Last edited:

Bloodeyes

Arcane
What the fuck does "SL1" stand for?
A level 1 playthrough. Wretch start and you never level up. Soul Level 1. Also called RL1 in Elden Ring. Rune Level 1. So if someone's doing RL1 +0 that means they're neither levelling up nor upgrading their weapons. There's also base level runs, which is like SL1 only you pick a class other than wretch.

Bloodeyes

Arcane
Sounds super fun. :roll:
Nobody ever forced anyone to do one. Its something people take upon themselves if they want to speedrun mastering the game. It forces one to develop skills and learn the bosses thoroughly in order to beat them. Or to learn every cheese strat and glitch in the game. I took the latter approach in my own SL1 attempt, prior to giving up on it entirely. Its very, very difficult.

Silverfish

Arbiter
Sounds super fun. :roll:

Varies wildly, but yeah. Demon's and Dark 1 are pretty fun, since the SL1 classes can get access to good equipment and spells. Demon's also has character tendency, which can give a pretty significant bump in power. DS2 was designed around the idea of being broken in half, and SL1 is no exception. The start is probably the roughest in the series, but things even out considerably. Bloodborne is pretty miserable unless you go dungeon diving for blood gems, which is also miserable. DS3 is easier than Bloodborne, but still the least fun, since there's nothing really crazy you can do with your character.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
How far did you get? I recently deleted my SL1 save. I just had to admit to myself I'm never actually going to feel motivated to return to it. I got Godrick, Renala and Radahn. I probably would have got Morgott as well but I doubt I would have been able to get much further than that.

Not very far. I got burned out way before i had finished the game, so it was foolish to start an SL1 run rightaway. I'm testing the terrain to see if i feel like doing it now, or if i want to wait a bit more. I was waiting for a DLC but that doesn't seem to be forthcoming.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom