Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Wow the block then follow up attack on the Carian Sword lmao. It's the most stylish and prestigious shit ever. The weapon art is a bit tricky to use though, not as straight forward as Square Off which so far has carried me through this entire run and has gone a long way in mitigating the health bloat of some enemies.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I wish that this game had an NG+ like Dark Souls 2. This game is amazing and could be even better if had it. I din't noticed many changes playing in NG+. BTW, lv 160 at moment and already did about 60% of NG+ main stuff.

typical user

Arbiter
NG+ feels like they did not want to bother changing stuff up in bigass map they made but every single game before Elden had this feature so they just copypasted it.

You get +1 and +2 items in regular NG run and enemies give tons of runes to making it feel like you are playing NG+ by the time you finish Leyndell.

I never really played that much of NG+, part of the challenge is collecting gear and leveling from absolute bottom until you can wipe the floor with most of the enemies in late game. I am glad DS3 had +2 and +3 rings in Ringed City.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Only reason to go NG+ is to use wierd ass weapons you only got too late to bother on your first run. I won't take my main on NG+ he is parked at SL150 which seems like a good spot for PvP if i decide to try that but i will eventually take my SL1 toon on NG+ and use all the late game stuff from the get go to at least get that unique experience.

I have a feeling after that i won't be playing much of this game anymore. Not like there's anything i can milk out of it after that. Maybe many years down the line if i get the itch or something.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Lol this fucking asshole always cockblocks my attempt to do a no hit with him:

There's always the next one.

Ravielsk

Magister
Only reason to go NG+ is to use wierd ass weapons you only got too late to bother on your first run. I won't take my main on NG+ he is parked at SL150 which seems like a good spot for PvP if i decide to try that but i will eventually take my SL1 toon on NG+ and use all the late game stuff from the get go to at least get that unique experience.

I have a feeling after that i won't be playing much of this game anymore. Not like there's anything i can milk out of it after that. Maybe many years down the line if i get the itch or something.
Elden ring is paradoxically the least replayable souls game. The game is so huge and spread out that even when rushing the content its still several dozen hours of unfortunately fairly repetitive content. After Limgrave and stormveil castle there is painfully little new(a.k.a not just recolors of what is in those two areas) enemies and content in general. Yeah the capital is cool and all but gameplay wise its way to similar to stormveil to really justify NG+ with some different build or just to get another ending.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
It's why i decided to finish my SL1 run now. Once i drop it it's gonna be years before i pick it up again so i wanted to get it over with while things were still hot, especially with the DLC coming.

Last edited:

typical user

Arbiter

I never used this mimic tear. Is he really that OP? Did they nerfed him?

Yes, he is able to do everything you can do except he is 10 times as hard, has infinite FP and carries infinite items. The downside he can't heal from Estus Flask but you can just equip meat balls which heal and poison you. Mimic will heal from them and get no poison.

For my first playthrough I had equipped Claymore with Flame Strike, Black Flame, Flame of Fell God and similar spells. Mimic slapped Malenia like it was nothing. For ultimate cheese give him Blasphemous Blade, Bullgoat armor, Shard of Alexander, Dragon Crest Greatshield talisman, Ironjar Perfumes, Black Flame and those meatballs. He will stomp stuff 24/7 and probably finish with full health.

Like I said before: the bosses in the DLC will make Malenia seem tame and fair by comparison. After the DLC I won't be touching their games anymore. They went off...way off. If I wanted to play a sonic game or whatever speedy Gonzales shit there is out there, well I'd probably be playing those instead. Fighting sekiro bosses with demon's souls character is not fun.
From unfortunately built up a reputation for making hard games and they stupidly insist on maintaining it. "Stupidly" because at this point they are trying to up the difficulty for players who have been playing their game for over a decade so the only way they can do it is to mechanically sabotage their own product. I played the network test beta which was just a few months before release and even that was in many ways basically a wholly different game. Poise and armor for example were about twice as high on all armors so you could take a hit or two without staggering even with medium armor, in retail you have to go full heaviest armor to get even close to that. Same with Vigor it used to give substantially more HP per point in network test than in the released game. In fact the game just straight up lies to you about your poise value because in reality its only 1/10 of what the stat screen shows.

I am sure much much more was straight up crippled to increase the "challenge" but these two are the ones I can easily prove.
Staggering and being stunlocked has become the norm. Fat rolling and tanking is not viable unless you are guzzling on estus with the fervor of a cum starved antigay republican at a grindr gangbang. Rules don't apply between bosses, nor are skills consistent enough.

Bows continue to get shit treatment of being less than useless. Why is it so difficult to actually make bows a viable all around weapon? Even if you figure out a way to get decent dps, the arrow crafting and carrying makes it impossible.

They keep on doubling down on shitty and unfun enemy placements as le challenge, like the great envoy in the haligtree. Run through a field of rot while a trombone motherfucker spams soap bubbles at you. I am on NG+2 and super overleveled due to fucking around so much. Trombone fat fuck still can one hit me. It's not a challenge. It's just tedious.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
guzzling on estus with the fervor of a cum starved antigay republican at a grindr gangbang.

Or most vocal politics oriented Codexers. :smug:

They keep on doubling down on shitty and unfun enemy placements as le challenge, like the great envoy in the haligtree. Run through a field of rot while a trombone motherfucker spams soap bubbles at you. I am on NG+2 and super overleveled due to fucking around so much. Trombone fat fuck still can one hit me. It's not a challenge. It's just tedious.

Did they move things around or am I just misremembering? I don't recall any difficulties with an envoy in the rot section of Haligtree. There were all the ones up in the branches (and running that gauntlet is awesome imo).

Ravielsk

Magister
It's just tedious.
Well, yes. How else would you up the challenge after 10 years of making the same game over and over again? The only real way is to genuinely overhaul the whole game into something else like they did with Sekiro and to a lesser extent Bloodborne.
Which they sort of did by borrowing mechanics from those games but without actually incorporating them in any sensible way. The game technically has Sekiro stance breaking but without the meter good luck even realizing that its a viable mechanic(doubly so on NG+).

It also technically has Bloodborne's rallying mechanic but made utterly shit as for some idiotic reason hidden behind a very late game boss so I have no idea how are you even supposed to incorporate it into a build. Plus the damage in later stages is so absurd that hit trading is just utterly unviable if your vigor is under 60-70 and even then with the amount of stagger inflicted its debatable if you will be able to make consistent use of the mechanic(doubly so in NG+).

I am actually about 90% sure that the great runes were supposed to stack together. It would certainly explain those bizarre mid-game jumps in enemy HP and damage because if you were stacking morgot's, godrick's and radhan's runes all on top of each other it would nicely smooth out the difficulty curve. And even if not I am 100% sure that great runes were not designed with rune arcs in mind as the buffs the runes provide on their own are just too weak to be bound to such a limited resource.

guzzling on estus with the fervor of a cum starved antigay republican at a grindr gangbang.

Did they move things around or am I just misremembering? I don't recall any difficulties with an envoy in the rot section of Haligtree. There were all the ones up in the branches (and running that gauntlet is awesome imo).
When you enter the tree at first, before you can descend to the first elphael grace. Right before that. A field of Miranda blooms with a trombone soap fat fuck on the upper branch that can just spam soap with no cooldown.

It's just tedious.
Well, yes. How else would you up the challenge after 10 years of making the same game over and over again? The only real way is to genuinely overhaul the whole game into something else like they did with Sekiro and to a lesser extent Bloodborne.
Which they sort of did by borrowing mechanics from those games but without actually incorporating them in any sensible way. The game technically has Sekiro stance breaking but without the meter good luck even realizing that its a viable mechanic(doubly so on NG+).

It also technically has Bloodborne's rallying mechanic but made utterly shit as for some idiotic reason hidden behind a very late game boss so I have no idea how are you even supposed to incorporate it into a build. Plus the damage in later stages is so absurd that hit trading is just utterly unviable if your vigor is under 60-70 and even then with the amount of stagger inflicted its debatable if you will be able to make consistent use of the mechanic(doubly so in NG+).

I am actually about 90% sure that the great runes were supposed to stack together. It would certainly explain those bizarre mid-game jumps in enemy HP and damage because if you were stacking morgot's, godrick's and radhan's runes all on top of each other it would nicely smooth out the difficulty curve. And even if not I am 100% sure that great runes were not designed with rune arcs in mind as the buffs the runes provide on their own are just too weak to be bound to such a limited resource.
The great runes are one of the worst utilised things ever in the history of game design. The fact you need to activate them is ridiculous. 90% of players just have on Godricks rune and call it a day. I have 200h in and I have never actually used one of the other great runes. The life stealing one would be cool when added together with all the other lifesteal talismans and weapons, but... Hit trading is not a viable strategy at later levels. Even if your Vigor is at 60-70, most lategame bosses can do a 6-8 attack stagger combo that will eat all of that health. I wish the runes were actually useful and you would not have any cost to activate them.

mediocrepoet

Patron

When you enter the tree at first, before you can descend to the first elphael grace. Right before that. A field of Miranda blooms with a trombone soap fat fuck on the upper branch that can just spam soap with no cooldown.
You can kill him if you want. :P

And he respawns. He was a cool idea for a challenge the first time. After that it got old.

mediocrepoet

Patron

And he respawns. He was a cool idea for a challenge the first time. After that it got old.
Don't die?

Haha, I see what you're saying, I just happened to enjoy that gauntlet.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I just cheesed the trombone dudes with poison arrows and then stroking my dick while waiting for the tick to finish them off. Hey, i'm a simple man with simple solutions.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
90% of players just have on Godricks rune and call it a day.

I assume once you reach the caps on your relevant stats Godrick rune becomes less attractive. Like you don't get much health past 60 vigor but i think Radahn rune is a flat bonus so it becomes more relevant then, right?

Don't even remember what the other runes even do lmao.

Personally, i would have liked if runes worked in multiplayer too, with the caveat you lose the rune arc if you die like in single player, mostly because it's so annoying having to take off my helm or whatever when summoned in co-op to avoid fat rolling.

I just cheesed the trombone dudes with poison arrows and then stroking my dick while waiting for the tick to finish them off. Hey, i'm a simple man with simple solutions.
They're easy to cheese, but once you've ran past them 5-10 times to do other stuff, it gets old. They can be dispatched, but it's rarely fun. It usually involves a lot of cheesing or other cheap tactics because they can quite literally suddenly spam soap bubbles back to back at you, obviously when you have no cover, so your whole screen gets covered by them. Then you either roll off, get rot or get blown up in a nuclear soap explosion. It's very RNG. Just yesterday I had one spam it, no joke, 10 times back to back. I was behind a branch just looking him root and toot them out with his life depending on it. Then I shot a few rot arrows at him and he died. This was after having 6 tries to jump to the right before him to make it to the grace. He would start the spam the moment he saw me and as I jumped down, he would get me MID JUMP or during the landing animation. He was the only place where I got killed before Loretta. Not because of being bad, but trombone fat fuck spamming soap bubbles.

The RNG can be really ridiculous in this game. Hoarah was spamming stomp at me on my last run, 6 times in a row. I've seen it happen to streamers as well to much worse extent.
They need to figure out how to not bloat damage from enemies and stop trivialising health. Not every enemy needs to be capable of outputting a dancer of boreal valley combos. Not everything needs a fucking ranged attack.

I am tired of every enemy being capable of staggering you and having a long ass grab attack animation that plays for ages, and eats half of your health bar and usually results in a gank death. I use cheap tactics on some enemies just because I can't be arsed to see some of their long winded animations under any circumstances. This list of enemies is longer than needed by far. Most builds become obsolete by NG+3, unless they rely on bleed, poison, or frost.

90% of players just have on Godricks rune and call it a day.

I assume once you reach the caps on your relevant stats Godrick rune becomes less attractive. Like you don't get much health past 60 vigor but i think Radahn rune is a flat bonus so it becomes more relevant then, right?

Don't even remember what the other runes even do lmao.

Personally, i would have liked if runes worked in multiplayer too, with the caveat you lose the rune arc if you die like in single player, mostly because it's so annoying having to take off my helm or whatever when summoned in co-op to avoid fat rolling.
I think most players don't care as much about the softcaps, since it's a guaranteed across the board +5 , without wasting a talisman slot.

Extra health, even at 20% does not mean much when late game you flat out can't tank because of enemies doing ridiculous damage. It's just a waste of a rune arc. It's not worth it most of the time. Meanwhile +5 might allow you to use a weapon with a requirement out of your spread. For the longest I rolled with it because it allowed me to use a situational secondary weapon and didn't take a talisman slot. It's also easier to build around the guaranteed +5 since then you have wiggle room.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Lol, totally forgot what this guy did so it was a bit of a shit show, but hey, first try is first try:

Man this fucking game i figured, hey, this time i know the whole thing inside out, not gonna take long to complete. Five thousand hours later i'm still in Liurnia.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I swear to God one of this days i'm going to hunt down whoever designed colossal bosses with skinny legs that you keep missing even while standing right under his dick and execute them. Took me a couple tries before i figured out how to actually hit him, which meant unlocking and relocking in awkard ways:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Beware of the discount Capra Demon:

I'm in a pickle now. Kill the invader in the revenge shack and get the +8 weapon or try to skip it and keep going as +3. Leaning towards the latter, but this shit annoys me.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I suppose i should record at least one of those retarded things:

Revenge Shack up ahead, decisions decisions...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom