Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

JDR13

Arcane
There's some obvious GoT influence as well (not surprisingly). There's an armor called Raptor's Black Feathers that's clearly an homage to the Night's Watch, and the Carian Study Hall was obviously influenced by The Citadel.

JDR13

Arcane
I just discovered the Windmill Village. That must have been inspired by that shitty movie Midsommar.

Wunderbar

Arcane
iAZWgvn.png

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Oh, apparently someone called "Godfry" was ruling as Elden Lord before Marika. That's the demiurge, probably.

The game's world design and aesthetic seems to be influenced by medieval European folklore, which is wonderful. But, of course, they couldn't help themselves and stuck in a bunch of gross bodyhorror monsters and general weirdness, not to mention the nihilistic moral ambiguity of the situation.

Also, too many sushi creatures wondering around. Giant land-dwelling crabs, lobsters, octopuses, shimp people, is the ocean closed for renovation? Gtfo, sea bugs.
FromSoft games are only european in aesthetics. The fundaments of everything are closely tied to asian and japanese folklore and philosophies. Plus Berserk (which was the same).

Those philosophies in Elden Ring are not eastern though, which is why there's a chance they were Martin's idea. He may have looked at Dark Souls style of "lore" and decided to come up with his own version of it.

According to Myazaki all the lore comes from Martin what Myazaki did is write the actual text in the game, which is evident since a lot of it is intended to guide the player and is also poorly written or poorly translated depending on how you want to look at it. One of the reasons the Souls are so cryptic is that the writing is confusing merely because it is kind of awkward. Once you know what the text is actually saying, you'll see the meaning is actually quite unsubtle and blunt, sometimes by design (like those white ghost guys, the only purpose of which is to give game clues).

In Souls, it is the visual story telling that's actually very good the text is often out there, which again could just be a translation issue. It's clear Myazaki wrote this stuff in Japanese then handed it to someone else to translate it.

Last edited:

Skinwalker

*teleports inside you*
Patron
Village Idiot
One of the reasons the Souls are so cryptic is that the writing is confusing merely because it is kind of awkward.
Mostly because the dialogue is written to be vague and non-informative, whereas all the actual information is hidden in damn item descriptions.

Oh, apparently someone called "Godfry" was ruling as Elden Lord before Marika. That's the demiurge, probably.

The game's world design and aesthetic seems to be influenced by medieval European folklore, which is wonderful. But, of course, they couldn't help themselves and stuck in a bunch of gross bodyhorror monsters and general weirdness, not to mention the nihilistic moral ambiguity of the situation.

Also, too many sushi creatures wondering around. Giant land-dwelling crabs, lobsters, octopuses, shimp people, is the ocean closed for renovation? Gtfo, sea bugs.
FromSoft games are only european in aesthetics. The fundaments of everything are closely tied to asian and japanese folklore and philosophies. Plus Berserk (which was the same).

Those philosophies in Elden Ring are not eastern though, which is why there's a chance they were Martin's idea. He may have looked at Dark Souls style of "lore" and decided to come up with his own version of it.

According to Myazaki all the lore comes from Martin what Myazaki did is write the actual text in the game, which is evident since a lot of it is intended to guide the player and is also poorly written or poorly translated depending on how you want to look at it. One of the reasons the Souls are so cryptic is that the writing is confusing merely because it is kind of awkward. Once you know what the text is actually saying, you'll see the meaning is actually quite unsubtle and blunt, sometimes by design (like those white ghost guys, the only purpose of which is to give game clues).

In Souls, it is the visual story telling that's actually very good the text is often out there, which again could just be a translation issue. It's clear Myazaki wrote this stuff in Japanese then handed it to someone else to translate it.
I mean, abrahamic religions are technically eastern too. Monarchs being "chosen by the gods" is, iirc, an idea of persian origin. But yeah, a lot of it becomes muddled due to From hiring the cheapest translators they could find (which actually fucks up the game's story and its lore)

Skinwalker

*teleports inside you*
Patron
Village Idiot
Yes, the emperors of pagan Rome did not claim to have been chosen by the gods to rule and to be raised to godhood themselves. Or, alternatively, antique Italy is extremely eastern and "abrahamic" (not to mention, persian :roll: ). :nocountryforshitposters:

Last edited:

notpl

Arbiter
One of the reasons the Souls are so cryptic is that the writing is confusing merely because it is kind of awkward.
Mostly because the dialogue is written to be vague and non-informative, whereas all the actual information is hidden in damn item descriptions.
It is also translated by people who at best do not speak Japanese very well, or at worst do and seek to deliberately subvert and mislead western audiences.

Skinwalker

*teleports inside you*
Patron
Village Idiot
Anyway, a trapped chest in the starting area teleported me to some cave on the other side of the world. After exploring the horrible red desert outside, I came across a "Meteorite staff" that's way more powerful than the one I have.

Thanks, dodgy teleporting chest!

Caim

Arcane
Anyway, a trapped chest in the starting area teleported me to some cave on the other side of the world. After exploring the horrible red desert outside, I came across a "Meteorite staff" that's way more powerful than the one I have.

Thanks, dodgy teleporting chest!
The meteorite staff is pretty good: it has modest stat requirements, is easy to obtain, has S scaling, increases the damage of all gravity sorceries (pretty much anything that throws rocks, you'll have found one alongside the staff itself) and does not require upgrades.

It does fall off as you progress through the game and start to upgrade better casting implements, but early on it's pretty good.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Kept trying to get a backstab but the bitch just wouldn't shoot that ball of fire lmao, so i had to put her out of her misery, meh:

This time i knew what i was getting into and used Night Maiden's Mist to get rid of the dogs first. Never again.

Last edited:

Skinwalker

*teleports inside you*
Patron
Village Idiot
The meteorite staff is pretty good: it has modest stat requirements, is easy to obtain, has S scaling, increases the damage of all gravity sorceries (pretty much anything that throws rocks, you'll have found one alongside the staff itself)
sweatonmybrow.png
sweatonmybrow.png
sweatonmybrow.png
Thanks for the tip!

Caim

Arcane
The meteorite staff is pretty good: it has modest stat requirements, is easy to obtain, has S scaling, increases the damage of all gravity sorceries (pretty much anything that throws rocks, you'll have found one alongside the staff itself)
sweatonmybrow.png
sweatonmybrow.png
sweatonmybrow.png
Thanks for the tip!
Rock Sling is particularly interesting because it doesn't deal magical damage, just physical. This means that enemies with high magic defense like wizards (as a rule of thumb, if an enemy uses a particular element it's also good at resisting it) are much more susceptible to it than conventional spells. Most types of sorceries have an associated staff to buff their damage, except for one or two of the most obscure types and of course the most common one: Glintstone.

There's a few more gravity spells that play more into the theme: a more straightfoward version will be on your path in the second legacy dungeon, and several escalating variants of "more rocks lmao" can be found as you progress.

And if you really like the gravity theme and want to do some more magic damage go check the beach south of where you found the teleporting chest. You can jump down safely into the updrafts, and make sure to peek around the beach for a route to something you might have seen before.

Skinwalker

*teleports inside you*
Patron
Village Idiot
I admit, I'm enjoying this game much more than I thought I would. In true open world "RPG" traditions, I've pretty much put the main quest on hold, and am getting sucked into various things I discover along the way. Who knew that simply trying to uncover the world's map would involve so many adventures along the way?

Also, did I just come across a village of androids from the Alien(s) series, who are trying to do the Westworld season 2 exodus to their "promised land"? What the fuck?

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

Skinwalker

*teleports inside you*
Patron
Village Idiot
Also, did I just come across a village of androids from the Alien(s) series, who are trying to do the Westworld season 2 exodus to their "promised land"? What the fuck?
Er...huh? What's the name of that location?
I am assuming he is talking about the albinauric village?

Didn't he just start the game? How would he have gotten that far.
It's right next door to the academy of Raya Lucaria!

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
How did you get up there so fast.

I mean, technically you can go there rightaway but still. Guess i'm the only completist autist here who doesn't move out of an area unless i sweeped the whole thing from top to bottom.

Skinwalker

*teleports inside you*
Patron
Village Idiot
I was looking for the map of that area, and the high unpassable cliffs were annoying me. So I kept at it until I found a way to pass into the cliffs, only to discover that this is an unrelated area, and that the map was in a different place altogether. Oops!

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Anyway, the page says those guys were weak to sleep but i had no idea how much lmao:

Since they are immune to status effects of any kind aside for this one, to keep with the theme of this run i wanted to be "strategic" and switch to the one thing they are actually weak to, but apparently all i managed to do is bypass the fight entirely.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom