Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Spike

Educated
Stop pestering the lyrics guy and let him finish so he can stop posting already so this thread dies finally until the DLC comes out and after that we can forget this game ever happened. Ok?
Nay. After Lyric finishes his current run he must do a run of the Ascended Mod, naturally on the hardest difficulty, and then of the Prepare to Die (Hard Mode) mod for Elden Ring. He must then accomplish SL1 runs of each of these. And then roll-only runs. Of each. And then he must do these mods *with* the unofficial DLC expansion.

Bloodeyes

Arcane
Both damage and defences are extremely bad now lmao. Even my cheese spells don't do much anymore:

I still totally cheesed the big guy with the whip by luring him to the cave and just pop my head around the corner long enough to cast Night Maiden's Mist only to run away as fast as i could. Took about 4 casts.

Can't wait to get to the area with all the giants, big hands, t-rex crows etc.

A small hint on efficiency: None of those buffs scale at all. So you can swap your clawmark seal for a weightless seal like erdtree seal, dragon communion or frenzied flame (no need to meet requirements on the seal or level it up at all). Enjoy a little more equip load at no detriment whatsoever! It took me far too long to realize you can do this but it was a game changer for my low level builds.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
There's a couple of mages in that area, and one of them dropped a glintstone staff.

Haha, ignore what i said then.

That glintstone staff is the first one you can get, but the drop rate is incredibly low. You got lucky to get it so quickly. I had to farm those guys a lot to get it drop for me and i wasn't sure if i wanted to spoil it for you as you could have killed them and not know they dropped it and remain without catalyst for a long time.

In either case, you are good to go now no need to worry about this anymore.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Stop pestering the lyrics guy and let him finish so he can stop posting already so this thread dies finally until the DLC comes out and after that we can forget this game ever happened. Ok?
Nay. After Lyric finishes his current run he must do a run of the Ascended Mod, naturally on the hardest difficulty, and then of the Prepare to Die (Hard Mode) mod for Elden Ring. He must then accomplish SL1 runs of each of these. And then roll-only runs. Of each. And then he must do these mods *with* the unofficial DLC expansion.

Next stop after this is Sekiro.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

If you hate this game so much it's not like you have to read this thread bro.

Perhaps i should have made a separate thread, but i never did a lets play before and it's too late now anyway.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
:abyssgazer:

Silverfish

Arbiter
Just picked this up and have to ask: are torches unironically good this time out? I bought one from the first merchant I met and it's outpacing my starter club in terms of damage on quite a few early game enemies while at the same time having slightly longer reach because the heavy attack is a thrust. Are torches viable or is it just that my club is shit?

Caim

Arcane
Just picked this up and have to ask: are torches unironically good this time out? I bought one from the first merchant I met and it's outpacing my starter club in terms of damage on quite a few early game enemies while at the same time having slightly longer reach because the heavy attack is a thrust. Are torches viable or is it just that my club is shit?
Quick look at the stats shows that at 50/10 Str/Dex (50 is the soft cap for the damage attributes) the club catches on with the torch in sheer damage. Then again, stuff like this is common with multi damage type weapons: they have higher base damage but require several stats to scale and an enemy that is highly resistant to a particular type of elemental damage will tank your hits easily.

The club suffers from some pretty shit range, and there's plenty of good Strength weapons to go around.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Lmao, ok this was too much autism even for me:

I suppose it's possible to do but i'm not sure i want to spend 20 minutes running around this thing. Seems i underestimated just how much health he had. Maybe if i could rot him in the second phase but that seems like it would take some doing.

Later on i'll just do it with the spear and the hell with it.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Started my very first playthrough of Elder Nig. I think I'll go with a mage build, as I have never used spells in souls games before, and in a huge open-world game I don't really care if killing enemies is too easy, so long as it's fast.

Of course, as per usual, I started as a "deprived" class, so I actually need to find a magic catalyst and a spell... with no idea where to look.

Elder Nig!
Don't try so hard, you're going to pull something.

Kaivokz

Arcane
I’ve been playing this with the co-op mod recently and having a good time.

We’re playing with +100% enemy health and +25% enemy damage dealt. Some bosses are definitely easier (any with more than one boss for example), but I think some would actually be easier solo: +25% damage means OHKO happen more often and if either of us mess up, the remaining person is left with a boss that has double the health.

I’ve been playing faith/str paladin. We got a couple greatswords from a knight early on and I have two sacred ashes of war now to add faith scaling (the holy slash that infuses the sword and the buff one)—jump attack trinket + dual wield staggers most normal enemies.

I’m also using incantations sometimes. Fireball dropped off after awhile but we just found black flame and lightning spear, which are pretty good. Might respec to a full caster later… we found the godslayer seal and I don’t have enough faith to wield it but if I have it in my offhand it increased black flame damage in my test from 560 to 565, so it still appears to function somewhat.

Buddy is playing a samurai either dual wielding katana for bloodlust or 2h’ing to try to stagger.

We’re winging it so definitely don’t have optimal stat spreads.

I’m not usually a fan of modern open worlds, but the areas are varied enough and there are enough secrets and cool things to find that it doesn’t bother me. The main negative is that, for example, we haven’t found a single katana besides the starting one, so my friend feels like there has been basically no gear progression. We might just look up some locations so we don’t finish the game with the starter katanas.

Exploring the world with a bro has definitely been fun.

:love:

Silverfish

Arbiter
whoever decided to saddle the "cleric" with a spear is a sadist

The same guy who made the Herald class from DS3. I'm not the smartest Souls player out there, but even to me Prophet had "beginner's trap" written all over it.

The club suffers from some pretty shit range, and there's plenty of good Strength weapons to go around.

Yeah, funny enough, I found a greatsword and (not a, the) Greataxe just outside the starting area. Greataxe was a letdown, though. Visually, From massacred my boy.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Meh, pretty vanilla fight, even though i'm SL1 with a +4 spear:

No hit but he didn't do the skull thing so it doesn't really count. Moving on then, next stop Castle Sol.

Skinwalker

*teleports inside you*
Patron
Village Idiot
So far, the story seems even more overtly Gnostic than previous souls games. Some cunt called "Marica" was ruling as eternal queen over the "Lands Between" (the thirteenth aeon?), but then disappeared when the "Elden Ring" shattered. I assume this is this game's equivalent of Pistis Sophia?

Then the shards of the Elden Ring fell into the hands of her children, various demigods that are reminiscent of Gnostic archons.

Now you are guided by "grace" (i.e. gnosis, don't be fooled into thinking this has anything to do with grace in a Christian sense) to gather the shards and become the new Elden Lord (apotheosis).

Haven't seen any mentions of a demiurge-like figure yet, but I assume it's coming at some point.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Wonder if Martin had something to do with that. While i have my reservations about his books, he is a professional writer and is probably a bit more well read about this stuff than Myazaku-san is.

Wonder if Martin had something to do with that. While i have my reservations about his books, he is a professional writer and is probably a bit more well read about this stuff than Myazaku-san is.
GRRM said he basically provided the entire backstory for the game. He was interviewed and started mentioning stuff he did and that's basically it: the major players, their motivations and their backstories all come from GRRM's pen.

So far, the story seems even more overtly Gnostic than previous souls games. Some cunt called "Marica" was ruling as eternal queen over the "Lands Between" (the thirteenth aeon?), but then disappeared when the "Elden Ring" shattered. I assume this is this game's equivalent of Pistis Sophia?

Then the shards of the Elden Ring fell into the hands of her children, various demigods that are reminiscent of Gnostic archons.

Now you are guided by "grace" (i.e. gnosis, don't be fooled into thinking this has anything to do with grace in a Christian sense) to gather the shards and become the new Elden Lord (apotheosis).

Haven't seen any mentions of a demiurge-like figure yet, but I assume it's coming at some point.
Funnily enough I think this plays more with the mystical side of christianity and I wouldn't be surprised if GRRM himself put that in there since it's also in GOT.
The Elden Ring is not a ring (like Frodo's).
There's also a bit of lore about Marika that you will probably find out on your own but it's quite the thing. It also causes at least two characters to break down.
The storylines and especially the endings are pure Miyazaki though. You have an intended path, the optional yet good path, a chaotic neutral path and even a chaotic evil one. The whole "monarchies are made out of retarded assholes and I wouldn't blame you if you decided to fuck them over and their plans" thing that's also present in Souls is also there.

Skinwalker

*teleports inside you*
Patron
Village Idiot
Oh, apparently someone called "Godfry" was ruling as Elden Lord before Marika. That's the demiurge, probably.

The game's world design and aesthetic seems to be influenced by medieval European folklore, which is wonderful. But, of course, they couldn't help themselves and stuck in a bunch of gross bodyhorror monsters and general weirdness, not to mention the nihilistic moral ambiguity of the situation.

Also, too many sushi creatures wondering around. Giant land-dwelling crabs, lobsters, octopuses, shimp people, is the ocean closed for renovation? Gtfo, sea bugs.

Oh, apparently someone called "Godfry" was ruling as Elden Lord before Marika. That's the demiurge, probably.

The game's world design and aesthetic seems to be influenced by medieval European folklore, which is wonderful. But, of course, they couldn't help themselves and stuck in a bunch of gross bodyhorror monsters and general weirdness, not to mention the nihilistic moral ambiguity of the situation.

Also, too many sushi creatures wondering around. Giant land-dwelling crabs, lobsters, octopuses, shimp people, is the ocean closed for renovation? Gtfo, sea bugs.
FromSoft games are only european in aesthetics. The fundaments of everything are closely tied to asian and japanese folklore and philosophies. Plus Berserk (which was the same).

Spike

Educated

FromSoft games are only european in aesthetics. The fundaments of everything are closely tied to asian and japanese folklore and philosophies. Plus Berserk (which was the same).
Good take. I love exploring far east myth/paradigms dressed in the West but it's about time some chad Westerner came around and put out their own authentically western take on our own myth/collective narrative. I have ambitions to make one myself but it will require 1. learning programming beyond C#+HTML and 2. insane amounts of time and budget. Who is out there that will do it? WHO!?

Other than RatTower :D

Edit: To be clear, I don't want some faggoty "so nihilst, bro" twist, I want authentic virtue you shameful traitorous left-wing wieney dolts!!! :argh: That being said, Tainted Grail: The Fall of Avalon looks sweet.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
But, of course, they couldn't help themselves and stuck in a bunch of gross bodyhorror monsters and general weirdness, not to mention the nihilistic moral ambiguity of the situation.

Elden Ring might be the most Hodgsonian computer game ever created, not only in terms of resemblance to the Night Land but also for taking inspiration from W.H. Hodgson's nautical horror stories, despite being set on land.

1glencarrighuehq.png
3demonsoftheseaatid7.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom