Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Stinkin' spectre! Gonna get what you deserve! I've blown up EVERYTHING in here! Blew up that spectre real good!

Protip to those who love when the AI cheats: the Assassin on top of those stairs is programmed to spot you no matter what. Because of that, i had to lure him out in order to get close enough to stomp him, and even then i had to make sure to corner him against something so he had no room to back out. Illegal situations require illegal solutions.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Well, judging by the videos the dreamlike atmosphere is excellent, though. I very much like (and prefer) when a game deliberately eschews realism in favour of artistic expression.

Ivan

Arcane
Thanks. I faintly remember it, as I did get to Malenia, but I don't remember much from ER. I was pretty underwhelmed by much of its world design.

Skinwalker

*teleports inside you*
Patron
Village Idiot
Hm, interesting. No one in the rountable hold gave a shit about me putting down Radanh and getting a third great rune. Fafnir and the crone (not to mention, Two Fingers) were creaming themselves when I got the second one, but the third - no acknowledgment.

Also, Radahn boss fight seemed to take a page out of Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Cunt.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Hm, interesting. No one in the rountable hold gave a shit about me putting down Radanh and getting a third great rune. Fafnir and the crone (not to mention, Two Fingers) were creaming themselves when I got the second one, but the third - no acknowledgment.

Also, Radahn boss fight seemed to take a page out of Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Cunt.
You need two great runes to progress in your quest. The third one and everything after that is just a waste of time in the grand scheme of things. Gideon is still interested in discovering stuff about the demigods whose location is unknown.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Look at this bitch, he came back for more:

[EDIT]

Ok, enough of this how many times is he gonna show up to get humiliated:

Managed to parry that weapon art of his, which was cool at least.

Last edited:

Skinwalker

*teleports inside you*
Patron
Village Idiot

You need two great runes to progress in your quest. The third one and everything after that is just a waste of time in the grand scheme of things.
Yes, but is there a specific reason for that?

Also, I'm still not sure wtf happened with Renalla. Was it her I fought during the second phase, or some kind of doppleganger created by Ranni? I'm assuming it's the latter, since she's somehow still alive after the boss fight. And why does she still have her egg, if I've taken her great rune (which is the egg?) from her? And why can't I equip it like the other ones?

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

You need two great runes to progress in your quest. The third one and everything after that is just a waste of time in the grand scheme of things.

Also, I'm still not sure wtf happened with Renalla. Was it her I fought during the second phase, or some kind of doppleganger created by Ranni? I'm assuming it's the latter, since she's somehow still alive after the boss fight. And why does she still have her egg, if I've taken her great rune (which is the egg?) from her? And why can't I equip it like the other ones?

There's probably a five hour long video that explains the lore about this all though after watching it all you'll probably won't know much more than you did when you started it.

Anyway, as you saw, Radahn was blocking Ranni's fate by literally holding the starts in place.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Actually, not much of a challenge really, not like the last time i was here where i died like a dozen time to those fucking things:

BTW, i tried dual wielding bleed knives and i could barely get a proc going. I understand that shit needed to be nerfed but right now it feels like using a single bleed weapon is just better.

Skinwalker

*teleports inside you*
Patron
Village Idiot
There's probably a five hour long video that explains the lore about this all though after watching it all you'll probably won't know much more than you did when you started it.
Yes, that's why I'm asking it here, on the codex.
love.png

These lore videos are usually made by obsessive midwit soynerds with useless lieberal farts/moderntard failosophy degrees, and I can't stand more than 5 minutes of that type of content.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture

It's hard to find an explanation that isn't an a posteriori rationalization (because the real reason is a gameplay one). The two fingers want you to collect two great runes to mend the elden ring. Once you have them, they deem you worthy of entering the capital. I guess having more great runes doesn't allow you to mend the elden ring any better, but I couldn't say why.

The egg and the rune of the unborn aren't explained at all and are completely open to interpretation. But the great rune description has to be a translation mistake: it CAN'T be the egg itself (I mean, as you've said, she still has the egg even after you get the rune). Most elucubrations on the topic rely upon item descriptions and dialogues you still haven't reached, so I'll avoid any spoiler for now.

Caim

Arcane
Radahn is a beast. He has one of the best back stories of any Soulsborne character. His love for his tiny horse and honor is what makes him truly memorable.
Man looked up to the heavens and said "no".

Every star in the night sky is his enemy.

And he won.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
All runes are in a non-activated satate when you get them, and you need a divine power to restore their full power. The way i understood it, Rennala's rune is also in a non-activated state, but becomes "activated" when you interact with the egg she is holding in order to perform a rebirth. So instead of using the power of the rune directly like the others, you use it to access the power of the egg through her.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Alright, so i was going to bonk those guys to oblivion, like i did with the invisible sorts in Ordina. Turns out they have too much health, at some point i just couldn't prevent them from wiggling out and getting lose so i had to throw in some parry. Ultimately, it made for a better challenge:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Lmao, he even showed up with a bouquet of flowers, probably on his way to try to score with some disinterested maiden. What a loser:

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Yeah Radahn is probably the only NPC that has a cool story and the boss fight lives up to it. At least visually.
And the only demigod of the bunch that actually lives up to the title.
According to the lore the guy is so powerful he's holding the whole night sky, comprised of stars (aliens) that want him gone so they can invade.
And he kicked their meteoric asses a while back.
And they can't do shit about it except cope, seethe and dilate.
And he's holding them back using gravity magic (which is mighty damn cool looking).
And himself so he can ride his microscopic horse.
And he's able to get up into orbit and come down as a meteor down on you.
And he's doing all of the above while being killed from inside by rot after that bitch nuked the whole area. She lost BTW.
Might be my favorite character in all of From games, second being Isshin.
No clue how they got this character so right, probably by mistake.

Elttharion

Learned
Yeah Radahn is probably the only NPC that has a cool story and the boss fight lives up to it. At least visually.
And the only demigod of the bunch that actually lives up to the title.
According to the lore the guy is so powerful he's holding the whole night sky, comprised of stars (aliens) that want him gone so they can invade.
And he kicked their meteoric asses a while back.
And they can't do shit about it except cope, seethe and dilate.
And he's holding them back using gravity magic (which is mighty damn cool looking).
And himself so he can ride his microscopic horse.
And he's able to get up into orbit and come down as a meteor down on you.
And he's doing all of the above while being killed from inside by rot after that bitch nuked the whole area. She lost BTW.
Might be my favorite character in all of From games, second being Isshin.
No clue how they got this character so right, probably by mistake.
I remember when they released the first few trailers and they kinda made Radahn look like a villain and Malenia look like a heroine. Pretty funny that he ended up being a bro and Malenia ended up being a bitch.

Skinwalker

*teleports inside you*
Patron
Village Idiot
Ok, I take back what I said about the death bird. The "valiant" gargoyles proved to be the first hard boss of Elden Ring. Three hours later, I'm still not sure how I beat them, but at least they're dead. Thanks, D!

I keep unlocking more and more underground areas. This is one big-ass game.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Lmao, fuck me, i take back everything i said about the bleed nerf:

Of course, he is particularly weak to bleed, the caveat being that bloodlosss happening around him increases his damage, which of course doesn't mean shit as SL1 since he can one shot me with anything he does anyway.

That said, i haven't been using bleed much at all on this run since i had a bleed build on my first and wanted to try something else so i had totally forgotten how broken it is. I think i'm gonna try to redo it with a different set up, all though since he can one shot me 100% of the time it's kinda of a tall order if i let him live for too long we'll see how it goes, if i can't do it so be it.

Those jagged pole thingies are pretty decent, but they seem to be trading bonk power for reach. The damage is good but i noticed i couldn't break his stance as easily as i did when i used the great stars, so i'm assuming poles or spears just aren't good for that.

Skinwalker

*teleports inside you*
Patron
Village Idiot
Hm, so Seluvis was a puppet this whole time? And Pidia got killed by his own puppets right around the same time this happened... Was Pidia in control of Seluvis? But then, who controlled his puppets to kill him? I was just looking for Blaidd in that area, but instead of finding him I came across yet another conspiracy I didn't know this questline needed.

And I'm still not sure why there's two different "Sorceress Selen" (not counting her inactive puppet in Seluvis' secret rape-basement), and why I can't tell this to anyone. Maybe part of another quest I haven't started yet/already failed somehow?

And what am I supposed to do with the cursemark of death I finally got from Ranni's original body, now that Rogier's long-dead? And I thought D's secret twin brother would appear in Roundtable hold after the gargoyles, but he never does. And where's Fia? And is someone in the game ever going to explain wth is an "Empyrean"?

These are all rhetorical questions btw, unless I am actually missing something or already failed these questlines.

Post-Aincel river edit: Oh. Oh!? Ohhh... interesting...

Last edited:

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
And I'm still not sure why there's two different "Sorceress Selen" (not counting her inactive puppet in Seluvis' secret rape-basement), and why I can't tell this to anyone. Maybe part of another quest I haven't started yet/already failed somehow?
It's probably a bug that Sorceress Sellen appears at the Witchbane Ruins before the appropriate part of her questline and while still appearing in her initial location in Waypoint Ruins. Her questline is a bit odd, anyway, even by the standards of Elden Ring.

And what am I supposed to do with the cursemark of death I finally got from Ranni's original body, now that Rogier's long-dead? And I thought D's secret twin brother would appear in Roundtable hold after the gargoyles, but he never does. And where's Fia?
The coffin near the gargoyles
transports you to Deeproot Depths, where you can eventually locate Fia. Her questline involves bringing her the cursemark of death. Since you gave him the twinned armor set, D's twin brother will
appear there and kill Fia, once you have completed her questline.

Skinwalker

*teleports inside you*
Patron
Village Idiot
It's probably a bug that Sorceress Sellen appears at the Witchbane Ruins before the appropriate part of her questline and while still appearing in her initial location in Waypoint Ruins.
A glaring bug that they never fixed in any subsequent updates?
rating_prosper.png
rating_prosper.png
rating_prosper.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom