Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Nathir

Liturgist
Anyway, after Melina's impassioned plea, I decided not to open the door to the Three Fingers. Does the game lock you into an ending, or can you choose at the end of the game which of the endings that you've unlocked you want to go with?

The only one that locks you into an ending is if you open the three fingers door. For the rest you get to choose at the end. There is also a way to unlock yourself from the 3-fingers ending late game, but good luck finding out how without a guide.

Nathir

Liturgist
Wait. Marika was her own husband?! Well, thanks to everyone itt for not spoiling this for me, that's quite a twist. Hmm... don't remember if this was mentioned in the game already, but did they have children with itself? And if so, then... how?

Yes they did have children. Malenia and Miquella, both cursed with afflictions since birth (because incest I guess). Maybe Melina is also another child of Radagon-Marika.

Caim

Arcane
Wait. Marika was her own husband?! Well, thanks to everyone itt for not spoiling this for me, that's quite a twist. Hmm... don't remember if this was mentioned in the game already, but did they have children with itself? And if so, then... how?
Also note that Marika had kids with Godfrey while Radagon had kids with Rennala. There's a good chance that Rennala got mindfucked when she learned of this: I mean how would you react if your husband left you so that he could marry himself? And yes, the two of them had kids, but they're fucked because of the hyper-incest.

Anyway, after Melina's impassioned plea, I decided not to open the door to the Three Fingers. Does the game lock you into an ending, or can you choose at the end of the game which of the endings that you've unlocked you want to go with?
Even if you opened the doors there's a way to fix it, but it requires a pretty long and poorly explained side quest in the best of From Software's legacy.

Skinwalker

*teleports between you*
Patron
Village Idiot
The only one that locks you into an ending is if you open the three fingers door.
Well, that was a close one, I almost did it just to see if I could have a boss fight with the Three Fingers!
sweatonmybrow.png
sweatonmybrow.png
sweatonmybrow.png

The three fingers indicate a relationship to heresy and the desire to break free from the Order, Ranni has a link to them as well.

Skinwalker

*teleports between you*
Patron
Village Idiot
After finally beating Rykard, I can't help but notice that he, Shabubu and Shit-Eater seem to have very similar end-goals: slightly different ways of bringing total damnation, destruction and chaos to the entire world. I assume the Volcano Manor wasn't yet another ending, given that you can't actually join them?

Caim

Arcane
After finally beating Rykard, I can't help but notice that he, Shabubu and Shit-Eater seem to have very similar end-goals: slightly different ways of bringing total damnation, destruction and chaos to the entire world. I assume the Volcano Manor wasn't yet another ending, given that you can't actually join them?
You can do a few missions for them, but that's it. You didn't miss any endings.

Do make sure to visit Rykard's boss room after the fact.

Skinwalker

*teleports between you*
Patron
Village Idiot
Do make sure to visit Rykard's boss room after the fact.
Oh, I already did. Not sure if I should kill her too? Just for peace of mind?

Shabubu and Shit-Eater
Really, those two should have been the same ending. Even the characters of Shabrabra and the Turd-Eater are so similar in their description, that I thought they were the same person. Both endings are also unlocked in the same place (the sewers), and involve largely the same thing: cursing all life in the world with either madness or the omen-curse.

When you have concepts in your storyboard that aren't clearly differentiated, the right thing to do is employ Occam's Razor and combine the two into one. Turd-Eater should have been Shabriri, and his questline (intersecting with the eye-eating girl) should have led you to the Three-Fingers, and the Lord of Chaos ending.

Also, the Frenzied Flame appears to have first been summoned as a Jew and/or Gypsy curse. :lol: This game gets so many things right, and all for the wrong reasons.

She's eating Rykard to bring him back---a snake type deal. Dung Eater is a rogue, though, Chaos and Frenzy is a movement on its own ironically.

Caim

Arcane
Oh, I already did. Not sure if I should kill her too? Just for peace of mind?
You can do a side mission where you give her an item, but From fucked up and didn't attach a reward to this. You can attack and kill her if you want, only for her Crucible Knight bodyguard to invade you and kick your ass. If you beat him you get an incantation and can loot Tanith's outfit, neither of which you can get any other way.

Also, the Frenzied Flame appears to have first been summoned as a Jew and/or Gypsy curse. :lol: This game gets so many things right, and all for the wrong reasons.
There was supposed to be a way more involved quest line where you help out Kale (the merchant from the start of the game) find the Frenzied Flame and take revenge, but it got cut.

Skinwalker

*teleports between you*
Patron
Village Idiot
Anyway, killed Tanith (and her supremely-parryable bodyguard). No eatings of defeated monsters on my watch.

Also tried killing Hyetta, but sadly, she's invulnerable (you can step right outside the pacifism zone and shoot her with an arrow, but they go through her body).

And of course, I had already killed Shabiri and the loathsome Dung-Eater.

Feels good to kill evil bastards. :smug:

Last edited:

notpl

Arbiter
Of course you can join the Volcano manor. What did you think saying you were joining them and subsequently doing a bunch of missions for them meant?

Skinwalker

*teleports between you*
Patron
Village Idiot
And once you find her at ligma of the lakes she's dead, a corpse possessed by the Frenzied Flame. Same goes for Shabriri once you meet him in the mountains.
Hm, are you sure? I think that she's Irina come back to life as a Tarnished... and somehow was gotten hold of chaos-worshippers to feed her eyes and make her into a maiden who serves Three-Fingers.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
And once you find her at ligma of the lakes she's dead, a corpse possessed by the Frenzied Flame. Same goes for Shabriri once you meet him in the mountains.
Hm, are you sure? I think that she's Irina come back to life as a Tarnished... and somehow was gotten hold of chaos-worshippers to feed her eyes and make her into a maiden who serves Three-Fingers.

I think Shabriri offers the clue of what kind of relationship there is between Hyetta and Irina.

notpl

Arbiter
hyeta is not evilllll!!!!!!!!!!!!11!!!!!!111!
Correct, she's blind.

What? No she isn't, she's a willing consort, like every waifu - ranni, fia, hyetta, melina, they're all prophets awaiting their respective Lord. I don't believe the frenzied flame even has an ego, I think it's meant to be the death thereof. It drives people mad because on some level they all crave it, the way anyone might intrusively think about jumping when near a great fall.

Last edited:

Skinwalker

*teleports between you*
Patron
Village Idiot
Hm, Fia's questline had a fairly underwhelming ending. She gave me a rune, that's probably going to enable an ending option at the end. Don't think I'll be picking that one, I have no sympathies for pro-undead people and necrophiliacs. Oh, and they did another Alfred scene, now with D's twin raving over how he killed Fia. The set-up for this questline suggested something better than how it actually played out.

Also, Godwyn was a mermaid? What?

Caim

Arcane
Also, Godwyn was a mermaid? What?
His soul died but his body did not, and it kept living in death. This grew rampantly out of control with all sorts of unnatural growths sprouting up everywhere. You can find Godwyn's eyes all over the place, including in the piles of corpses that sprout up from the ground where there's a presence of those who live in death, as well as on the basilisk enemies.

Also, right above where you find Godwyn there's an undeep part of the moat of Leyndell. Check the backs of the small crabs there, as well as the big boy (and take note of the status effect it can inflict).

Dhaze

Cipher
It's probably a bug that Sorceress Sellen appears at the Witchbane Ruins before the appropriate part of her questline and while still appearing in her initial location in Waypoint Ruins.
A glaring bug that they never fixed in any subsequent updates?
rating_prosper.png
rating_prosper.png
rating_prosper.png

Late reply, but...

Patch 1.02 Calibration 2.02 for Scholar Of The First Sin:

Fixed issue whereby weapon durability was decreased drastically when used on enemy corpses, friendly characters, etc. (Especially apparent for users running the game at 60 fps as the durability decrease rate was linked to the frame rate).

Meaning it took FromSoft over a year after the initial release of Dark Souls 2 before they managed to fix the truly insane durability bug. Before that, they had claimed there was no bug.

It's FromSoft. Bug-wise, anything's possible.

Skinwalker

*teleports between you*
Patron
Village Idiot
Anyway, that thing with Sorceress Sellen wasn't a bug, just the usual vague and weird FS "storynottelling".

When you find the primeval sorcerer in Mount Gelmir and go back to her, Sellen (the one in Waypoint Ruins) admits that she is an astral projection, and that her real body is held prisoner in Witchbane Ruins, and then asks you to go and "release" her, in a manner of speaking. Obviously, it's still completely retarded that the player can discover Sellen's still-living body, but with no ability to ask her about it.

Dhaze

Cipher
Anyway, that thing with Sorceress Sellen wasn't a bug, just the usual vague and weird FS "storynottelling".

When you find the primeval sorcerer in Mount Gelmir and go back to her, Sellen (the one in Waypoint Ruins) admits that she is an astral projection, and that her real body is held prisoner in Witchbane Ruins, and then asks you to go and "release" her, in a manner of speaking. Obviously, it's still completely retarded that the player can discover Sellen's still-living body, but with no ability to ask her about it.

Indeed, that part of Sellen's quest is so incredibly ass-backwards it still annoys me over a year later. But I have to say, as far as stupidity goes, my favorite moment still was this:

D. Hunter of the Dead, getting speared to his literal death by a undead, without ever defending himself (it might look like he's engaged in combat, but really he simply recoils from the hit).

stwYEqW.png

Same thing with Kenneth and the demi-humans at Fort Haight, though his case is less egregious than that of D.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
D. Hunter of the Dead, getting speared to his literal death by a undead, without ever defending himself (it might look like he's engaged in combat, but really he simply recoils from the hit).
No no no no, you got it wrong. "Hunter" is his birth name. He's from Texas.

Still can't parry that double swipe. I remember @NJClaw mentioned he prepared for it by just "waiting" for it or some prescient, precog shit like that. I tried it too and ended up attempting to parry a grab attack lul. She has a lot of other parriable attacks i think i give up for now otherwise i'll never kill her
If you're talking about this attack (0:47), it's her fastest move and quite possibly the fastest attack in the entire series. The reaction time required to parry it is almost unfair. The only way I found to deal with it is to constantly stare just above her right shoulder, repeat in my head "she is going to do that", and picture the animation starting. If I stop for even a second, I'm guaranteed to get hit. The only other attack that's hard to parry is the long-winded pirouette (here at 1:50), on which I probably wasted more than 90% of my attempts. I found parrying it to be so inconsistent that I just gave up, which practically isn't that big of a deal since she usually follows up with the quick flurry which is incredibly easy to parry.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom