Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

volklore

Arcane
Vaati's vids are mostly retarded fanfiction. It's obnoxious.
FS ''writing'' is making some kind of allegorical/biblical story where they pack some cool shit and a handful of event. and let the player try to fill in the blanks with his imagination. It's an exercise in esthetics more so than in creative writing.
That's why Vaati's vids are popular, because he does muse about the lore and story which is what FS wants players to do.
Also since major characters in FS stories are gods/near divine being the ''gods work in mysterious ways'' basically fills any incoherence you can find. That's why fiction writing requires human scale characters because gods are by definition unbalanced individuals which you can't really relate or understand.

It's hard to argue with FS fanboys that there's no real writing is souls game and what their ''innovative'' storytelling they rave about is innovative only in a way that they managed to make a game where story is an afterthought looks like it was entirely crafted around the story. In fact Morrowind did this ''let's piece together past events and learn how our quest fits in the history of the world'' type narrative a lot better than FS ever did.

And I'm saying that as someone who enjoyed the whole Elden Rings world/story.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I like DS2, but it had a troubled development process and was rebooted midway
The same is true of Demon's Souls - that reboot was WAY more radical than DS2 - and the DS1 development wasn't exactly unexciting either.

In the end what matters is the final product which was great in all three cases.

People always flap their gums about "muh lava castle atop a windmill, literully unplayable" but how many forgot all about it 10 seconds into the Iron Tower? Yes it's dumb but you'd have to be a severely autistic individual if it ruined your fun.

The real - and the biggest - flaw of DS2 is the fact the world wasn't interconnected anymore, that it was linear. That actually DID impact the gameplay for the worse. It's weird, the interconnected world was probably the most beloved aspect in DS1 but FromSoft never ever repeated it in any of their non-DLC game.

volklore

Arcane
DS1>DeS>(ER)>DS2>>>>>>DS3 slop - sue me
I put ER in parenthesis because my enjoyment of the story beats/esthetics of it all probably skews my overall viewpoint

janior

Arcane
Patron
no way ER is not at the bottom with it's goyslop mounted combat
You know you don't have to fight mounted, right? In fact, you can play the entire game without even once fighting on horseback.

So yes, excellent point.
yeah let me just put myself at a massive disadvantage for no reason at all other than to handicap myself, damn you're retarded

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
You know you don't have to fight mounted, right? In fact, you can play the entire game without even once fighting on horseback.

So yes, excellent point.
yeah let me just put myself at a massive disadvantage for no reason at all other than to handicap myself, damn you're retarded
Holy Christmas, I rate this 11/10 on the Codex scale of butthurt retardation.

I assume you have to be trolling.

Skinwalker

*teleports inside you*
Patron
Village Idiot
Sorry, but DS2 is just the absolute bottom of the barrel gutter trash. It's hideous, boss enemy variety is almost non-existent, the levels do not connect in any sensible way, virtually every mechanic that was changed from DS1 was for the worse, it's just tedious shit for tryhards who think that autistic tedium = serious gameplay. DS2 was made by people who hate fun.

P. S. DS1 remaster is gorgeous and leaps and bounds above any edition of old DS1, fake youtube comparison vids notwithstanding.

Skinwalker

*teleports inside you*
Patron
Village Idiot
You really want to fuck Enya that much?

FMdBfB9WQAcB7eW.0.jpg

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
But is Elden Ring just a better souls game?

is not

what's good about Souls game are watered down with the open world, not to say that the open world content is repetitive (do one region open world activities and you kinda already do them all). Formsoft soulslike, besides the combat, has always been about the fun and well designed dungeons and making open world shit just take that away and water it down. Some major dungeons are pretty cool still but if you play it as open world they are paced pretty far away.

the boss design in Elden Ring is also the culmination of zoomer twitch finger dodge roll shit.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
the boss design in Elden Ring is also the culmination of zoomer twitch finger dodge roll shit.
Isn't that Sekiro? It honestly baffles me how a game whose entire relevant combat system is 'time the correct reaction' gets lauded as having the best combat. I can only assuming the aesthetics and pacing of it are excellent, because the actual gameplay is crayon-in-brain levels of simplistic, revolving around timing and rote memorization, while the souls games are influenced heavily by spacing, stamina management, various weapon styles, and exploitation of the environment. They're both crap compared to monster hunter anyways, let alone any decent 2D action games.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
But ER stylistically way more beautiful. I enjoyed all of them and found the "story" (including the retarded interpetation of people) in all of them shit.

Nathir

Liturgist
You guys are all fucked up. Why are gamers always a bunch of turbo autistic fucks???
You are on the RPGcodex and DS2 is the most RPG of the series. I wonder why people here would like it so much? Fuck off to the Fromsoft reddit or something if you don't like it you little cunt.

The most RPG of the series? What an objective and easily provable statement... What does this even mean? Yeah, stats have more importance, but at it's core it's still an action game that you can do with a dagger on lvl1. I don't like DS2? I never said that, you said that.

To say ER is DS2 part 2 is only worthy of a shit rating, nothing else. Elden ring is pretty much the exact opposite of DS2 in a major way. DS2 is the ugliest game in the franchise. And I'm not talking about the graphics. The monster designs in DS2 are the worst in the whole franchise. Generic, uninspired, lazy. Don't even deny it. The levels too. Not just muh elevator into iron keep. Almost all the levels have weirdly connected hallways, empty rooms, ugly textures... Granted the DLCs are better in this regard... but still. While ER excels in all of these areas and is probably the most beautiful game From has ever done.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
FUCKING BEAT MALENIA FUCK YOU GAME BRRLRRNRBBB

That three-part swishyswahsy attack thingy can seriously go fuck itself right in the rectum. Is there even a reliable way to avoid it or do you just have to accept that RNG has decided to consume 2/3s of your HP bar and heal Malenia?

Last edited:

Damned Registrations

I liked the mounted combat. The fact that weapons gain new movesets that don't actually hit anything made the game far more challenging.
Weapons? You're doing it wrong. You use one of the spells that can be cast while moving. You're basically a cav archer with homing lasers.

Damned Registrations

FUCKING BEAT MALENIA FUCK YOU GAME BRRLRRNRBBB

That three-part swishyswahsy attack thingy can seriously go fuck it-selskab right of the rectum. Is there even a reliable way to avoid it or do you just have to accept that RNG has decided to consume 2/3s of your HP bar and heal Malenia?
There are a few, bloodhound step being the best. But if you're not using special ashes and relying purely on dodgerolls and movement... you're pretty much fucked. Yeah some asshole made a video of beating her hitless I'm sure but we all know he made like 50 attempts and only pulled it off because he killed her before she could attack more than a couple times.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom