Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Old Hans

Arcane
Yes, but its painfully unfinished.
I disagree. Demon souls is a very tight and well put together game. There isn't a single area that makes you think "oh boy they must have run out of time" PLUS it's DNA is so much closer to King's Field compared to the later games AND the swamp level is awesome

Arryosha

Learned
Dark Souls or Elden Ring? I haven't played any souls games, but always kinda wanted to try one and figured I'd go for Dark Souls since people seem most passionate about it. But is Elden Ring just a better souls game?

Spike

Educated
Dark Souls or Elden Ring? I haven't played any souls games, but always kinda wanted to try one and figured I'd go for Dark Souls since people seem most passionate about it. But is Elden Ring just a better souls game?
I would say to play them in release order. Demons Souls (if you can emulate on PS3 or have an old PS3, play the PS3 one over PS5 but if you only have access to PS5 then that is fine), Dark Souls, Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin, Bloodborne or Dark Souls III (I actually played Dark Souls 3 before Bloodborne even though it was released after), Sekiro, and now Elden Ring.

Silverfish

Arbiter
But is Elden Ring just a better souls game?

Depends on what you want. Demon's Souls and Bloodborne have the most engaging stories, Dark Souls 3 and Elden Ring are probably the best in terms of pure combat, Dark Souls 2 has insane longevity and Dark Souls is a masterclass of presentation.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Elden Ring is an Open World combined with the Souls action RPG formula, with so much content shoved in that it's about equal to the length of the three Dark Souls games combined.

I suggest starting with either Demon's Souls (from 2009, still the best IMO) or Dark Souls (1, from 2011), as they established the formula that would much later be modified by Elden Ring. Dark Souls II and III are essentially more of the same, while Bloodborne differs in being more of an action game and less of an RPG.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

I have no hands and so am shit at these games but always wanted to play them. I tried DS once and hid behind a shield, so that game was no fun. Then I tried Elden Ring and went the exact opposite route, light rolling with agile weapons. Since I have no hands, this led me to die constantly.

Finally cracked it now though - I'm 3/4s through Elden Ring and having a blast with the heaviest armor I can find and a massive colossal weapon. Mid-rolling isn't too bad, armor means me having no hands is less of a problem and colossal weapons means trading with enemies is actually kind of efficient some of the time. So the overall package is both fun and kind of good for a massive action-newb. Over the course of the playthrough, my hands have gotten good enough I think I can finally play DS after this.

So from someone who has never played OTS action games before, really, and who is too old for action games, my recommendation is deffo to start with Elden Ring. A lot of its encounters are actually harder, but with the right build you have more ways to offset that than in DS, and of course, Summons/Ashes are basically an Easy difficulty for those of us who are terrible at these games.

Last edited:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
with the right build you have more ways to offset that than in DS
If you think that heavy armors make Elden Ring easier, just wait to see what they do to Dark Souls.

Remastered and DSII+III are 50% off on Steam currently, so I just bought remastered and am planning on playing it after ER. Deffo going with heavy armor and a big stick

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Dark Souls is a much, much better game. It's also easier regardless of build. Dodgy ninja, shield turtle or heavily armoured damage sponge are all perfectly viable.

That said, there's plenty of evidence to suggest that your favourite Souls game will always be your first Souls game. All the more reason to start with Dark Souls.

Nathir

Liturgist

Play them in release order.

Caim

Arcane
Starting with Elden Ring robs you of a whole lot of context for the series. At least play Dark Souls 1 first.

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I played ER as my first soulsborne, Dark Souls was fine after it. They are very different in terms of design and gameplay. DS2 I couldn't get into, it felt like you are supposed to run through areas or constantly fight without using lock on, which feels super janky.

Lyre Mors

Arcane
You guys are all fucked up. Why are gamers always a bunch of turbo autistic fucks???
You are on the RPGcodex and DS2 is the most RPG of the series. I wonder why people here would like it so much? Fuck off to the Fromsoft reddit or something if you don't like it you little cunt.

Silverfish

Arbiter
DS2 is the most RPG of the series.

This can't be overstated. I saw some gay critique video of DS2 a few years back and one of the complaints was something like "DS2 gives you too many souls. My character was too highly leveled by the end." Overlooking the fact that this is the one game in the series where attributes actually matter and have an impact on your character other than convenience.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom