Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Silva

Arcane
If this Shadow Realm is Marika' carpet to where she swept the dirt under, that means we'll probably find more Gloom-Eye Queen and Godskins stuff there. Cool.

Dr1f7

Scholar
my reaction to Elden Ring - Shadow of the Eldentree:

:O

thanks, please click subscribe and click the bell for notification and like and leave a comment and also i have a Patreon with exclusive content and a *DISCORD* please join! :)

Dr1f7

Scholar
VAATOVIDYA PRESENTS:

ELDEN RING
SHADOW OF THE ELDTREE
PREPARE TO DIE CRY

See the elder tree??

_-_
/~~ ~~\
/~~ ~~\
{ :( }
\ _- -_ /
~ \\ // ~
_- - | | _- _
_ - | | -_
// \\

why does it have a sad?
because it has not been watered in
many years
:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Thank you for watching my video

Skinwalker

*teleports inside you*
Patron
Village Idiot
From the interview, it sounds like the "Shadow of the Erdtree" is that crooked giant tree we see in in the promo shots.

I'm guessing it's an offshoot of the Erdtree, like one of the many "minor Erdtrees" found throughout the Lands Between, but one that has been corrupted, or cursed by Marika to keep the shadow land hidden away, or something of the sort. Getting "Ringed City" vibes from this.

Funnily enough, a megatree where multiple tree trunks grow out of the same root system isn't something they invented for this fantasy world. It happens in real life as well. I think I've seen a documentary about the world's oldest living organism, which is an entire forest where each individual tree grows from the same roots, making it a single tree that keeps growing out numerous trunks and has an indefinite lifespan.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Someone asked about dueling shields....well, here is one apparently:
UgsH7M.jpg

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
Is it that weird that I enjoy the combat/interactivity of these games rather than the level design?
Valuing combat/interactivity in a video game is good. Together with good level design is great. Sucks that you have to choose.
But DkS1 does both.
Btw, DkS3 is pure feces. Best Souls 2 is where it's at.
Kinda weird that some people seem to champion Dark Souls 2 now. Oh well.

For me, it's Dark Souls 3 or ER due to the combat alone.
I've always championed it. I think it's more bizarre that the majority of Souls fans consider is the worst Soulsborne game.

From the interview, it sounds like the "Shadow of the Erdtree" is that crooked giant tree we see in in the promo shots.

I'm guessing it's an offshoot of the Erdtree, like one of the many "minor Erdtrees" found throughout the Lands Between, but one that has been corrupted, or cursed by Marika to keep the shadow land hidden away, or something of the sort. Getting "Ringed City" vibes from this.

Funnily enough, a megatree where multiple tree trunks grow out of the same root system isn't something they invented for this fantasy world. It happens in real life as well. I think I've seen a documentary about the world's oldest living organism, which is an entire forest where each individual tree grows from the same roots, making it a single tree that keeps growing out numerous trunks and has an indefinite lifespan.
the concept of grafting is also from plants. maybe miyazaki started a garden during the game's development

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
There's an attack in your video where the banished knight makes a little backstep before coming down with an overhead swing, that's probably why that couldn't be parried.
Dude every attempted parry in that video has the knights hands clipping into the PC. There's no way he's too far away.

I don't see any hands clipping at all. Keep in mind when i said you have to parry the "hands" i didn't mean it literally. It's more of a "feel" you have to acquire. I don't know how the hitbox is coded but it kinda feels you have to connect not just with the weapon but something in the body itself of guy you are fighting, hard to explain.

Anyway, i decided to take on the dude myself:

Messed up a few times guess i guess got a bit rusty in the 8 months i didn't play the game.

Now, as i suspected, the problem isn't with the game, the guy in your video was just shit. I was able to parry both overhead swings, the one where he swings down and does his whirlwind backstep (around 0:22), and the one where he swings twice (circa 0:40). The swing with the backstep was the hardest to parry, and apparently also the hardest to trigger. I stretched the video because i was waiting for him to do it again but eventually i got bored and ended it. The first attack in the double overhead swing combo, the one your guy couldn't parry, is also somewhat tricky but still easier than the downward swing with the backstep. The one where he scrapes the floor and does an upward swing i couldn't parry, but that attack only comes if you miss the overhead swing with the long wind up, so if you don't mess up your parries you are not even going to see it. I also couldn't parry the foot stomp but that's obvious. He didn't do the flying charge to me but your guy parried it so it's established that can be done too.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Is it that weird that I enjoy the combat/interactivity of these games rather than the level design?
Valuing combat/interactivity in a video game is good. Together with good level design is great. Sucks that you have to choose.
But DkS1 does both.
Btw, DkS3 is pure feces. Best Souls 2 is where it's at.
Kinda weird that some people seem to champion Dark Souls 2 now. Oh well.

For me, it's Dark Souls 3 or ER due to the combat alone.
I've always championed it. I think it's more bizarre that the majority of Souls fans consider is the worst Soulsborne game.

I consider it to be among the worst Soulsborne i played, but it's all relative since the worst Soulsborne is still better than 99% of the games out there.

Much more interesting for me is the fact i consider Dark Souls 3 to have around the same amount of "bad" as Dark Souls 2 but in a very different way. Dark Souls 2 is janky and has a lot of ghetto design, but even so it manages to recreate a Dark Souls 1 kinda of experience through proper level design (even if some areas were definitely bonkers, especially in the base game. DLCs of course were excellent and make up for a lot) and also feels more of an RPG, like Dark Souls 1 did. Weakest aspect is probably the boss design, at least in the base game gets a bit better in the DLCs.

Dark Souls 3 is extremely slick and well produced, but is weakest exactly where Dark Souls 2 was strongest. Level design for instance was bland as fuck. Bosses were very well designed but everything else felt poorly thought out, with boring levels, boring aesthetic (how many Gothic locations can you cram into a game? Apparently all of them. DLC fixes did a bit), boring character progression, and a lot of reashed shit where as Dark Souls 2 had a ton of original stuff, even if a lot of it was kinda of retarded.

Skinwalker

*teleports inside you*
Patron
Village Idiot
Dark Souls 3 is extremely slick and well produced, but is weakest exactly where Dark Souls 2 was strongest. Level design for instance was bland as fuck.
:nocountryforshitposters:

Cemetary of Ash -> Lothric Castle -> Undead Village -> Cathedral of the Deep -> Farron Keep -> Carthus Catacombs -> Demon Ruins -> Irithyl -> Irithyl Dungeon -> Anor Londo -> Archdragon Peak -> endgame.

I see a huge variety of environments there, most of them awe-inspiring.

Sure it would hurt DD2 sales - though perhaps not by much, as I don't see much overlap between audiences

What makes you think that?
Elden Ring has a mainstream approach, DD is more niche in that regard. Just 15 minutes ago I was seeing some people on discord saying that they liked Elden Ring more because DD feels too much like D&D (and therefore is boring)

Ryzer

Arcane
The trailer brings absolutely nothing new to the table, a big nothingburger but From Software fags love to buy the same shit an infinite amount of times since Demon's Souls. 0 creativity, 0 gameplay improvement, 0 progress, EPICNESS!, explosion!, new boss fights with 10 minutes long of animations with a pause in between and here is your From$oft DLC.
This really is the McDonalds of JRPGs.

Last edited:

Late Bloomer

Scholar
I am thinking Capcom doesn't consider their first 70 dollar game a niche product.

After Pricing Dragon’s Dogma 2 $70, Capcom Is Now Considering a Video Game Price Review
The only way is up.

https://www.ign.com/articles/after-...-is-now-considering-a-video-game-price-review
News of a potential price review comes as little surprise, given comments made last year by Capcom president Haruhiro Tsujimoto. Speaking at the Tokyo Game Show, Tsujimoto said he thought the price of video games were "too low", and that increasing the price of video games would be a “healthy option” for the industry.
Tsujimoto went on to argue that an economic slump wouldn't prevent people from purchasing pricier games. “Just because there’s a recession doesn’t mean you won’t go to the movie theater or go to your favorite artist’s concert. High-quality games will continue to sell,” he said.

ss_6d2e03c518137d89e8b82a4ada6f3d0a2e804cc5.1920x1080.jpg

Silva

Arcane
More like Hunter's Nightmare actually. A hidden place where the rulers hide their dirty secrets (the Church's in that case).The Ringed City similarity is in "following Miquella's footsteps" which mirror following Gael's footsteps.

It's funny how if you played a couple From games you saw everything there's it to be seen. They just reskin the same tropes again and again.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
So people are saying the DLC will be the size of Limgrave.

Kinda what we expected, just another extra zone, with open world areas and legacy dungeons at the end.

I'm confident the new bosses will be great, don't share the Codex cynicism in this regard, but what will make or break this DLC is going to be the amount of new opponents you are going to face. If it's ALL new enemies it's going to be a substantial improvement over the late game areas that exist currently. In fact, depending on how many bosses they are going to introduce it would be great to see a mod that retrofits some of them in the base game. There's a couple of Ulcerated Tree Spirits i could do without in the base game (lel).

Child of Malkav

Erudite
I expected 2 or 3 zones but I guess the verticality will be emphasized heavily and it will probably look like so: 1 surface zone, 1 underground zone (maybe Eternal City), 1 Farum Azula type zone. Each with it's own legacy dungeon. Hm, I guess that makes it 2-3 zones. Huh. I keep surprising myself sometimes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom