Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
The problem with pests is that they often show up in groups of 3+ scattered around a room, firing dozens of shots that curve around any cover you might try to use to avoid getting shot.

Yeah, guess what helps in that situation. Right, a shield.

Also, 1v1 they are just as bad as 3vs1. The threads are just as annoying when they are by themselves as when they are in a group, and it's not always easy to hit them because they tend to scurry away at a moments notice.

Shields serve the double function of protecting you from the threads and give you an opportunity to knock them out in complete safety.

Odoryuk

Educated
I think the point @Child of Malkav is tryin to make is that Bloodborne has a more cohesive system in place, where the player is given a comprehensive set of tools to counter whatever the enemies throws at him. DS3 on the other hand feels a bit schizo in that devs took the super aggressive enemies and crowds from BB without adjusting the tools at the player's disposal. The parrying is a good example: in BB it's fast, safe and long range (guns) while in DS3 parrying feels so fucking slow and laggy that's a much less effective tool, making everybody rely on that shitty barrel rolling spam instead.
Long range parries are only viable in PvP or fighting NPC hunters to punish healing and a couple of special actions, in PvE shot parries are performed from a short distance 95% of the time. DS3 provides as much tools to deal with enemies as BB does. There's fast parries with smaller shields, and you already mentioned rolling, which works the same way in BB as well.

Silva

Arcane
Odoryuk , I'll assume it must be some time since you played these games, because NO FUCKING WAY a DS3 shield (small or otherwise) is as fast and safe as a BB gun. And no, I don't need to be nearby an enemy to critic him in BB. I can shoot it from afar then imediately step-in and critic, or keep the distance and hit it with a long range malee weapon for the increased damage plus rally (I know cause I'm coming from an arcanist playthrough where I do exactly this with that Ebrietas' tentacle spell).

But that's besides the point. Just admit Bloodborne and Sekiro both have better/more cohesive combat systems than DS3. No problem in acknowleding it bro, I still like DS3 myself, warts and all.

Odoryuk

Educated
because NO FUCKING WAY a DS3 shield (small or otherwise) is as fast and safe as a BB gun
A shield can do a partial parry and mitigate damage and prevent flinching while a wrongly time parry shot won't. Not to mention that you can use a shield to guard, not to parry, which is very fast.
Just admit Bloodborne and Sekiro both have better (more cohesive) combat systems than DS3.
Bloodborne is my favorite battle system they ever made, it's better than battle systems from the whole Dark Souls trilogy, Demon's Souls's, Elden Ring's and of course it's better than Sekiro's.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
*In before LS declares he had this entire chart figured out and memorized on his third attempt because he can 'see the patterns.'

Dude, i already explained how to get around the Morgott combos.

The first you stop in its tracks with a parry. The second all you have to do is circle around him and roll out of the his attacks in reverse. You can see both in my fight with him:

I mean, i made a detailed explanation of this a while back. Did you even bother to read it? Why are you still screeching about the Morgott combo when i just gave you the solution?

Everything else he does besides those two long combos isn't hard to dodge.

Also, he is very weak to bonking, so if you just can't cope with him flying around with his ninja combos, just turn him into a pancake:

I don't get what the big deal about this guy is.

Last edited:

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
Shitposter
Bloodborne is a god damned masterpiece. There are things about it that pissed me off back in the day (it leaning more into straight action than ARPG) but it's as close to perfect as a game can get. Sony needs to pull their head out of their ass and do a proper remaster and also release it on PC. More people need to witness Bloodborne.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I think the point @Child of Malkav is tryin to make is that Bloodborne has a more cohesive system in place, where the player is given a comprehensive set of tools to counter whatever the enemies throws at him. DS3 on the other hand feels a bit schizo in that devs took the super aggressive enemies and crowds from BB without adjusting the tools at the player's disposal. The parrying is a good example: in BB it's fast, safe and long range (guns) while in DS3 parrying feels so fucking slow and laggy that's a much less effective tool, making everybody rely on that shitty barrel rolling spam instead.
Long range parries are only viable in PvP or fighting NPC hunters to punish healing and a couple of special actions, in PvE shot parries are performed from a short distance 95% of the time. DS3 provides as much tools to deal with enemies as BB does. There's fast parries with smaller shields, and you already mentioned rolling, which works the same way in BB as well.

I never played BB but my impression of DS3 is that they tired to make a Dark Souls game out of a system (that of Bloodborne) that wasn't designed for it. I still liked DS3 a great deal and i thought the boss design at least was slick as hell. But the way poise and hyperarmor worked for instance just didn't feel right to me. The fact you could wear literal slabs of stone and feel like you were wearing paper unless you were swinging was just illogical. Also, it's annoying R1 spamming was basically all you needed to do.

Elden Ring, as far as i'm concerned, actually fixed some of those issues and implemented some of those mechanics in a way that feels more organic. Also, armor feels like armor again. Poise is back now and the defences of the armor actually make a difference, especially the resistances. Physical defences are still a bit underwhelming (vitality is still king over defence) but you can actually feel it when you have a lot of it. In Dark Souls 3, it didn't really matter how much defence you had. It literally meant nothing. All that mattered is that you had all the armor slots filled with something.

I wish this game was structured same way as Dark Souls games, then I would be much more inclined to replay it and get a lot better at it. Open world eventually kills my will to do so every time I try. It's actually easier for me to replay my least favorite in series Dark Souls III.

Yeah it's worth buying a console so you could play below 30 FPS and with atrocious aliasing. It looks terrible on PS4 from what I saw.

Terenty

Liturgist
Bloodborne felt like a downgrade to me after DS1. A stripped down DS1, if you will, with no builds and easy bosses that went down after a couple tries.

Story was even more nonsensical than DS, with no clear goal, which resulted in me just going from place to place like a tourist having no idea what the fuck was going on and who were all those monstrosities I had to put down.

I mean it was a high quality game, no doubt, but I can't see it's masterpiece status. I feel like people fell for its edgy aesthetics more than anything else.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
Shitposter
Yeah it's worth buying a console so you could play below 30 FPS and with atrocious aliasing. It looks terrible on PS4 from what I saw.
Technically it looks and plays a little worse than Dark Souls 3 on consoles but artistically speaking it's FS's most beautiful game. I don't think Elden Ring beats it but it's subjective. As far as aesthetics go I think it's their most beautiful game. I don't remember the framerate being a major problem if you're somewhat accustomed to 30 fps games. It's perfectly playable and looks great. The load times were the major issue and I heard they were improved. By how much I can't say.

Silva

Arcane
Terenty , no builds in BB? Are you sure you played the game?

At the very least each Stat equals a build, and then there's the hybrids like Dex-Arc, Str-Arc, Dex-Bld, Str-Bld, Str-Dex, etc. And THEN there's the weapon specializations where you pick just the exact spread based on specific weapons scalings. So the same Str-Arc can go 70-30 to maximize (say) Amy's Arm damage with some light supportive tools on the side, or the reversal 30-70 for heavy tool using with some support Amy Arm on the side, etc.

That's a ton of variations, bro.

Last edited:

Silva

Arcane
Technically it looks and plays a little worse than Dark Souls 3 on consoles but artistically speaking it's FS's most beautiful game. I don't think Elden Ring beats it but it's subjective. As far as aesthetics go I think it's their most beautiful game. I don't remember the framerate being a major problem if you're somewhat accustomed to 30 fps games. It's perfectly playable and looks great. The load times were the major issue and I heard they were improved. By how much I can't say.
Don't know about being beautiful, but Bloodborne is certainly From most impressive ambience and overall atmosphere. Stepping on those Yharnam cobblestones for the first time is mesmerizing. Up there with entering STALKER's Zone, System Shock 2 Von Braun or Deus ex UNATCO headquarters for the first time. Every immersionist gamer owes it to him/herself to experience Yharnam at least once.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Bloodborne felt like a downgrade to me after DS1. A stripped down DS1, if you will, with no builds and easy bosses that went down after a couple tries.

Story was even more nonsensical than DS, with no clear goal, which resulted in me just going from place to place like a tourist having no idea what the fuck was going on and who were all those monstrosities I had to put down.

I mean it was a high quality game, no doubt, but I can't see it's masterpiece status. I feel like people fell for its edgy aesthetics more than anything else.
Bloodborne amplified the action elements of Souls games while reducing the role-playing aspects, crossing the boundary from Action RPG to action game with RPG elements. Still a well-made game, but it always irritates me when people use the "Soulsborne" term, giving equal weight to this deviation from the formula with Demon's/Dark Souls. It also adversely affected Dark Souls III, which was something of an attempt at compromise between the earlier Souls games and the greater action-orientation of Bloodborne, though I discovered when I belatedly played it that it wasn't as close to Bloodborne as many had made it out to be.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
Shitposter
Don't know about being beautiful, but Bloodborne is certainly From most impressive ambience and overall atmosphere. Stepping on those Yharnam cobblestones for the first time is mesmerizing. Up there with entering STALKER's Zone, System Shock 2 Von Braun or Deus ex UNATCO headquarters for the first time. Every immersionist gamer owes it to him/herself to experience Yharnam at least once.
It's so impressive that DkS3 shamelessly ripped an entire section from it, and did it worse. "HAI GUYZ REMEMBER BLOODBORNE??!!". Fuck Dark Souls 3.

Bloodborne amplified the action elements of Souls games while reducing the role-playing aspects, crossing the boundary from Action RPG to action game with RPG elements. Still a well-made game, but it always irritates me when people use the "Soulsborne" term, giving equal weight to this deviation from the formula with Demon's/Dark Souls. It also adversely affected Dark Souls III, which was something of an attempt at compromise between the earlier Souls games and the greater action-orientation of Bloodborne, though I discovered when I belatedly played it that it wasn't as close to Bloodborne as many had made it out to be.
The reason the term "Soulsborne" exists is because it's one of the greatest games of the 21st century and one of FS's greatest games. That term exists for a fucking reason. It is absolutely better than Dark Souls 1.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
Shitposter
Lettuce be real. The ONLY reason why Dark Souls 1 is worshipped as much as it is is because most people didn't get to experience Demon's Souls first. If you went into it blind, fuck yeah, it's amazing. It you went into it after having already played Demon's Souls, it's not quite so amazing. It's still a great experience but not as great as playing through Demon's Souls for the first time.

Actually I'm gonna reel this argument in a bit. All of them are good-great. Chances are whichever one you played first will be your favorite because they're all different compared to everything else on the market. I'm a rare exception. Demon's Souls blew my mind like no other, but it's not my favorite, or 2nd favorite. I've had a long time to analyze all these games and I have a coherent objective structure. It goes like this:

Dark Souls 2>Bloodborne>Demon's Souls>Dark Souls>>>Elden Ring>>>>>>>>Sekiro>Dark Souls 3

Last edited:

Machocruz

Arcane
Lettuce be real. The ONLY reason why Dark Souls 1 is worshipped as much as it is is because most people didn't get to experience Demon's Souls first. If you went into it blind, fuck yeah, it's amazing. It you went into it after having already played Demon's Souls, it's not quite so amazing. It's still a great experience but not as great as playing through Demon's Souls for the first time.

Actually I'm gonna reel this argument in a bit. All of them are good-great. Chances are whichever one you played first will be your favorite because they're all different compared to everything else on the market. I'm a rare exception. Demon's Souls blew my mind like no other, but it's not my favorite, or 2nd favorite. I've had a long time to analyze all these games and I have a coherent objective structure. It goes like this:

Dark Souls 2>Bloodborne>Demon's Souls>Dark Souls>>>Elden Ring>>>>>>>>Sekiro>Dark Souls 3

Dark Souls 1 is iconic, but so is DeS and I put more time into it. Not the best of the batch technically, but I'm not a gameplay purist and DeS' atmosphere is a king. Bosses were a complimentary dish, or a bit of spice, not the main entree. A lot of other stuff was more memorable, but things seem to have gone the other way for these Miyazaki games, people just jack off to talk about bosses.

And yes, by the average standard of this hobby, all of them are at least good. Problem is they pulled a Bethesda and threw the baby out with the bath water. So while DS3 is good as Fantasy Action Game, it had none of the interesting things that they brought with 2, and they didn't try to improve the good ideas in 2 that didn't quite work. It was a game that Todd Howard Muhzaki really didn't want to make, and I think really didn't need to be made. BB and Sekiro are great but are each their own things that offer very different experiences despite structural similarities.

Last edited:

Skinwalker

*teleports inside you*
Patron
Village Idiot
It was a game that Todd Howard Muhzaki really didn't want to make, and I think really didn't need to be made
Oh, fuck off, you pretentious twat. It's an exhilarating action RPG about killing thirty different varieties of zombies in eye-catching and memorable environments, not Citizen Kane or Casablanka.

It's a soft remake of DS1, and a fairly good one at that. Some things could be improved, but overall, a great iteration on a solid formula. Yes, Bloodborne and Sekiro take the formula on interesting detours, but without a mainline series like DS+ER it loses its identity.

Machocruz

Arcane
Oh, fuck off, you pretentious twat. It's an exhilarating action RPG about killing thirty different varieties of zombies in eye-catching and memorable environments, not Citizen Kane or Casablanka.

It's a soft remake of DS1, and a fairly good one at that. Some things could be improved, but overall, a great iteration on a solid formula. Yes, Bloodborne and Sekiro take the formula on interesting detours, but without a mainline series like DS+ER it loses its identity.
Relax your perm. I said it was a good FAG . But it is said he didn't want to make it, and if its various half-baked features from previous DS are anything to go by, I believe it. And who needs a sequel like that? Might as well have called it something else or skipped right to Sekiro.

Skinwalker

*teleports inside you*
Patron
Village Idiot
And who needs a sequel like that?
I do. :rpgcodex:

It was a delightful experience, and there's not that many OG soulsgames to begin with. In fact, there's only been 7 of them over the past 15 years (not counting a remake and a remaster). And one of them (DS2) is widely acknowledged as a B-team effort that missed the mark by a country mile.

"It's a good game in general, but who needs it?!" :nocountryforshitposters:

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
Shitposter
I gave you a brofist for the statement but this tier list is terrible and putting DS2 ahead of DS1, BB and Sekiro is heresy. The Space Marines should be dispatched to your home ASAP.
Dark Souls 2 is ahead of the rest because it managed to expand on the formula while simultaniously having it's own identity. It's the most complex game in the franchise (I don't give a single flying fuck what anyone has to say about that. IT'S FACT) and it managed to carve it's very own identity. From Demon's Souls to DkS2, each game had it's own unique atmosphere, and then we got Bloodborne which did it's own great thing. I don't think the order matters much. As long as you have Elden Ring, Sekiro, and DkS3 on the ass-end, you're good.

Machocruz

Arcane

"It's a good game in general, but who needs it?!" :nocountryforshitposters:
Wut? A game isn't a necessity, good or bad. Always something else to do or play. Anyway we agree it's a good game, it's just an expression of dissatisfaction with how they did things compared to the other games, not even a real question. Plus I don't have the biggest appetite for sequels to begin with (usually good after the second iteration), let alone ones that diverge too much from what I liked, so.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom