Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Hell Swarm

Learned
You can only ascend to Godhood in the Shadow land. Marika did it there and his objective is to do the same.
Cool, thanks. So plot of the DLC: everybody thought Miquella was pure like Baldr, but instead he was Loki all this time. Is that it?

Also, can we say the the Lands Between is Mount Olympus while Shadow Land is Hades? Or Valhalla and Hel? A mythological divine realm and it's "land of the dead" annex/counterpart?
No. Play the game instead of begging for lore.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
There's ways to cheese them and 1 shot them but that's not part of the discussion because it's not how the game is being played by most people.

If most people are retarded how is that FromSoft's problem?

So you can stack up enough damage to even go so far as be able to one shot bosses, but since "most" players are too stupid to do the things that need to be done to get to that point, the bosses need to be brought down to a point they would present zero challenge to anybody actually following the upgrade mechanic properly.

Next week i get paid i have half a mind of actually buying this just so i can see this shit for myself.

Hell Swarm

Learned
There's ways to cheese them and 1 shot them but that's not part of the discussion because it's not how the game is being played by most people.

So you can stack up enough damage to even go so far as be able to one shot bosses, but since "most" players are too stupid to do the things that need to be done to get to that point, the bosses need to be brought down to a point they would present zero challenge to anybody actually following the upgrade mechanic properly.
From threads would be so much better if you stopped posting in them. Collecting 5 different buffs, a hidden armour set and beating a super boss to get a spell to 1 shot bosses is not reasonable and it never will be. It's not retarded to not know you have to suck off a tranny to get their nose hair and give it to an NPC hiding at the bottom of a well but only between boss 4 and 5. If you weren't a scrub posting on the forum rather than playing the game. You might even know there's a boss fight that punishes players for not doing From's shitty quests now. Meaning the game is harder if you don't find random items and talk to people at the right point in time. Because we all know From should punish you for not caring about poorly written characters who say nothing relevant than laugh.

S.torch

Arbiter
I don't like that way of thinking. One you start excusing poor decision-making by the player soon everything will be dumbed down.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I'm sorry but isn't the upgrade mechanic basically the heart of this expansion? If you get to a boss and you see you are doing no damage, how stupid would you have to be not to realize you have to use the ADVERTISED attack power mechanic that was talked about in all the previews before the DLC was even out?

Hell didn't they make it esier to find those upgrade thingies with the patch what else can they do?

Hell Swarm

Learned
I don't like that way of thinking. One you start excusing poor decision-making by the player soon everything will be dumbed down.
So you're against respecs so player decisions actually matter and they can't respec to use broken weapons to steam roll bosses. I got it.

S.torch

Arbiter
So you're against respecs so player decisions actually matter and they can't respec to use broken weapons to steam roll bosses. I got it.
More like respecs takes away the consequence of your actions and thus depersonalises your character. And it goes both ways. Bad players will never learn to be good if they get to respec every time they make a mistake. While power-gamers get a fancy new toy to cheese and cheat on the game system and never having to engage its challenges.

Not to mention respecs are MMO design and they don't belong on RPGs.

You might even know there's a boss fight that punishes players for not doing From's shitty quests now. Meaning the game is harder if you don't find random items and talk to people at the right point in time. Because we all know From should punish you for not caring about poorly written characters who say nothing relevant than laugh.

Damn, I always leave absolute majority of their shitty quests untouched. That boss is at least optional, I assume?

Hell Swarm

Learned
You might even know there's a boss fight that punishes players for not doing From's shitty quests now. Meaning the game is harder if you don't find random items and talk to people at the right point in time. Because we all know From should punish you for not caring about poorly written characters who say nothing relevant than laugh.

Damn, I always leave absolute majority of their shitty quests untouched. That boss is at least optional, I assume?
No.

Wait what, that's actually one of mandatory bosses? :lol: So the penalty for not doing relevant quest must not be massive then? It's only a slight increase in difficulty? I mean From wouldn't do something that retarded?

Dobkeratops

Literate
Wait what, that's actually one of mandatory bosses? :lol: So the penalty for not doing relevant quest must not be massive then? It's only a slight increase in difficulty? I mean From wouldn't do something that retarded?
You can make that fight harder or easier by engaging with the quests. It's a bit like DS2's Ivory King battle in which you're gathering allies for a final battle, except you're affecting the enemy side's numbers as well as your own. FWIW I didn't feel like the variables were really a make or break part of the fight, but I could see a hypothetical situation where someone with a shit build and irl skill deficit leaves themselves in a particularly dire situation.

Ravielsk

Magister
I mean technically they are optional but I think you are somewhat underselling how shit it all really is. For one you can fuck up and skip whole quest stages that tie back to other unrelated quests by simply going to the Black Keep too early. You know the one big black building on the horizon that your camera ever so slightly defaults to when you respawn. In my case this fucked up the dragon form quest because I could not get an item from a different quest that was literary skipped by going too close to the keep.

Further more the quests that this did not screw I almost ended up skipping because From still requires reloads or boss fights(I am entirely unsure which it could be easily both) to unlock the next quest stage. So I would have a chat with one of the NPCs, they would start repeating lines and I knowing that I had already skipped about 1/3 of their quest content by going to the keep too early left them. I assumed since the skip broke the dragon quest that it also pre-emptively ended the other quests as well. But later when I was fucking around it turned out that in fact new dialog was unlocked and the quests or at least some of them were finishable.

Problem is that was nothing but dumb luck on my part and had I not gone back to that area to test some weapons I would have wholly skipped those quests and most likely made the second to last boss battle even more of headache than it was. I can easily imagine most players completely skipping these quests by accident without even knowing what they did wrong.

Hell Swarm

Learned
Half way through the game you're told a great rune is broken. The NPCs charmed by Micky end up realizing they're all opposed to each other and would never work together. Depending on who's side quests you do, they will side with you while others will side with Leda. Before the last boss fight there is a barrier you can't cross until you use a summon sign to fight a gank squad made up of NPCs loyal to Leda/Micky. Any one you did the quest line for can be summoned pre-fight to join your side in the gang bang. It's a cluster fuck of Elden ring weapon arts spam and they all hit hard so having allies is an important balancing factor.

I mean technically they are optional but I think you are somewhat underselling how shit it all really is. For one you can fuck up and skip whole quest stages that tie back to other unrelated quests by simply going to the Black Keep too early. You know the one big black building on the horizon that your camera ever so slightly defaults to when you respawn. In my case this fucked up the dragon form quest because I could not get an item from a different quest that was literary skipped by going too close to the keep.

Further more the quests that this did not screw I almost ended up skipping because From still requires reloads or boss fights(I am entirely unsure which it could be easily both) to unlock the next quest stage. So I would have a chat with one of the NPCs, they would start repeating lines and I knowing that I had already skipped about 1/3 of their quest content by going to the keep too early left them. I assumed since the skip broke the dragon quest that it also pre-emptively ended the other quests as well. But later when I was fucking around it turned out that in fact new dialog was unlocked and the quests or at least some of them were finishable.

Problem is that was nothing but dumb luck on my part and had I not gone back to that area to test some weapons I would have wholly skipped those quests and most likely made the second to last boss battle even more of headache than it was. I can easily imagine most players completely skipping these quests by accident without even knowing what they did wrong.
The cut off point for most NPC quests is burning the tree after Queelag. Others can be failed by burning the tree because they interlock and you need items from some of them for unrelated quest lines.

Reinhardt

Arcane
ok, started this shit too. where i can make it brighter? adjusted at the start "to make symbol slightly visible" but when in game symbol is pitch black even at max setting.

created warrior nun because she looked kinda cool. will play as single character mordheim. collect all chaos and ghey things and lock them in the monastery vault.

Mortmal

Arcane

It happened to me. I had no clue that going to certain areas early would cause this. There's also no way to know if you are underleveled or should keep an area for later in these kinds of games. The only quest I did was the Ymir quest, which I guess was impossible to break. I probably missed stuff, and that's me being punished for just playing the game without following any guide.

Hell Swarm

Learned
Could you guys try to use spoilers please? The games only been out a week and it's best to keep stuff hidden for another week or two to give people a fair chance to explore themselves. I feel like a dick when people quote me spoiling stuff I was trying to keep a surprise.

Ymir's quest is always finishable.
From support total tranny death

Dobkeratops

Literate
In my case this fucked up the dragon form quest because I could not get an item from a different quest that was literary skipped by going too close to the keep.
You only need that item if you want her incantation and ashes. In fact you can't get her dragonform until next game if you go that route since they're exclusive paths. There's also a totally different dragonform stone acquired by completing a painting puzzle.

Last edited:

Crayll

Liturgist

From threads would be so much better if you stopped posting in them. Collecting 5 different buffs, a hidden armour set and beating a super boss to get a spell to 1 shot bosses is not reasonable and it never will be. It's not retarded to not know you have to suck off a tranny to get their nose hair and give it to an NPC hiding at the bottom of a well but only between boss 4 and 5. If you weren't a scrub posting on the forum rather than playing the game. You might even know there's a boss fight that punishes players for not doing From's shitty quests now. Meaning the game is harder if you don't find random items and talk to people at the right point in time. Because we all know From should punish you for not caring about poorly written characters who say nothing relevant than laugh.
Alright, describing a typical
NPC gank squad
as an ordeal of a boss fight is making me question your top 1% of Souls players credentials now :rpgcodex:

Hell Swarm

Learned
I had just done Ymir's quest so I was expecting another 1 on 1 invader. Hit Leda and suddenly I've got a 3 on 1 fight and I'm getting weapon arted to death. Mauled them all on the 2nd try no problem.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Bad players will never learn to be good if they get to respec every time they make a mistake.
So if I play an rpg or whatever and I decide to make a character that specializes in fire damage (spells, weapons etc.) and I run into a fire boss which means I basically deal no damage to him.....wtf then?

jaekl

Learned
Patron
Bad players will never learn to be good if they get to respec every time they make a mistake.
So if I play an rpg or whatever and I decide to make a character that specializes in fire damage (spells, weapons etc.) and I run into a fire boss which means I basically deal no damage to him.....wtf then?

What? You would use a non-fire weapon for that boss, obviously. Using only a single element and nothing else would be a dumb guy move of epic proportions in any rpg. You know there's gonna be element-resistant enemies. This is adventuring 101 stuff.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
What? You would use a non-fire weapon for that boss, obviously. Using only a single element and nothing else would be a dumb guy move of epic proportions in any rpg. You know there's gonna be element-resistant enemies. This is adventuring 101 stuff.
Uh huh....see the above response.

jaekl

Learned
Patron
Uh huh....see the above response.
No, if you ran into that situation it was because of retardation because a non-retard knows not to have only fire damage and nothing else at all for backup because we know that enemies have elemental resistances in video games.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Depends entirely on the game in question. Plenty of games where a single element build is th optimal strategy because you unlock skills to pirce resistances or they cap at low numbers. Of course, if the game doesn't reveal that to you until 60 hours in...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom