Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Hell Swarm

Learned
Don't avoid the question you little turd, it was very specific because of your retarded argument.
You can't hit the jump button with your thumb on the right stick? Guess you have girly hands then don't you? lol I repeat because you don't understand.

At minimum on the modern controller you have access to L1, L2, L3, L4, L5, R1, R2, R3, R4, R5 a left analog stick and a right analog stick all without moving a single finger from it's default positioning. That's 10 buttons you can use at all times without having to move your hand off another function. Everyone knows a keyboard has more buttons than a controller but access to those buttons is superior on the controller because it's designed to have you use multiple at once so you don't have to lose 1 button to gain another. I played through Elden ring DLC on the steam deck and used L4 for blocking but I must be lying because you're upset I keep proving you wrong and you're desperate to defend your e peen lol. I've also bound jump to those buttons in the past in different games depending on how camera heavy the game is. They're quite useful.

Multi button mice are nice. I use a trackball and I struggled to find one with a mouse wheel you can tilt as extra buttons. I have mine bound to close tabs while browsing and it really speeds up basic internet usage. Good for checking lots of forum threads.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
None of that shit about having to buy a PS4 to play Bloodborne.

Still hilarious that console bros got Planescape before the pc crowd got Bloodborne.

There's nothing "hilarious" about it. It's one of the primary reasons why consoles are a shit platform that should have been stamped out and buried after the 80s had passed. But because Japanese companies are led by retarted greedy boomers (like the guy in charge of Capcom today) they couldn't let it go because that's how the "bussiness" boomer mentality works, a mentality that was then picked up by Microshit.

Console exclusives are an anti-consumer practice. The fact consoltards are actually proud of that shit and even think it's a point in favor of their preference for this peasant system demonstrates why consoletards shouldn't be taken seriously in arguments. And you guys have done little to dispell the stereotype.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Side buttons on mice can be nice... but I've also had a mouse where I kept hitting that shit accidentally because it was a super sensitive button placed right where I naturally grip the mouse. At any rate, it's the keyboard hand that's not as useful. WASD is shittier than an analog stick, and using 2 at once to move on a diagonal requires 2 fingers instead of one, and generally speak there are just awkward combinations of keys to press on a keyboard, because it's inherently not designed for hitting multiple letters/numbers at the same time.

I don't think anyone has brought them up, and I've never seen them in a game; but mouse gestures are another underutilized control method. Used that shit with Opera back before it was shit, and it was very nice being able to do all the usual browser stuff without needing menus or the keyboard.

Hell Swarm

Learned
Side buttons on mice can be nice... but I've also had a mouse where I kept hitting that shit accidentally because it was a super sensitive button placed right where I naturally grip the mouse. At any rate, it's the keyboard hand that's not as useful. WASD is shittier than an analog stick, and using 2 at once to move on a diagonal requires 2 fingers instead of one, and generally speak there are just awkward combinations of keys to press on a keyboard, because it's inherently not designed for hitting multiple letters/numbers at the same time.

I don't think anyone has brought them up, and I've never seen them in a game; but mouse gestures are another underutilized control method. Used that shit with Opera back before it was shit, and it was very nice being able to do all the usual browser stuff without needing menus or the keyboard.
I would be interested in seeing someone using a trackpad and gestures to play games. That could be interesting.

I never found diagonals to be a problem since your middle finger is W and S exclusively but it becomes one of you need to move those ways and use another key.

I've never struggled with using a keyboard to play FPS. The difference is minor and I can move my fingers quick enough to make it basically irrelevant. But it doesn't stop the truth being the truth and the controller is the superior video game input for movement

Damned Registrations

I never found diagonals to be a problem since your middle finger is W and S exclusively but it becomes one of you need to move those ways and use another key.
This is what I mean. Trying to quickly hit for example, Q,1,2 or Tab after you've started holding W and A at the same time is basically impossible. Keyboard is full of such awkward combinations and the problem is that which keys are accessible changes depending on which direction you need to strafe. You can't bind to Q in case you need WA, but can't bind to E in case you need WD. Closest I've come to solving this is moving 'W/S' to mouse buttons, but that shit gets awkward too in some ways. Mice also run into issues if you need to turn continuously for a long period of time, because you run out of mousepad pretty quick.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
Trying to quickly hit for example, Q,1,2 or Tab after you've started holding W and A at the same time is basically impossible.
Move, jump, while in the air hit Q. It's not impossible, it's about getting used to the game's controls. What you're describing sounds like newb problems to me tbh.

Damned Registrations

Trying to quickly hit for example, Q,1,2 or Tab after you've started holding W and A at the same time is basically impossible.
Move, jump, while in the air hit Q. It's not impossible, it's about getting used to the game's controls. What you're describing sounds like newb problems to me tbh.
What you're describing might work for some games, but not everything is an FPS with momentum jumping.

Warframe is a good example of a game that gets super fucking awkward to control. Strafing is useful, and there are times you'll want to hit sprint, crouch, and jump at basically the exact same time as you activate one of your spells while moving forward and strafing. Good luck with that shit unless you've come up with a very odd set of keybinds. Keep in mind you've also got like half a dozen other important things to bind as well.

Vic

Savant
What you're describing might work for some games, but not everything is an FPS with momentum jumping.
If something you want to do doesn't work or is very awkward to do it's not the keyboard's fault but the game's controls; or a skill issue. A game with good controls will play flawlessly on a keyboard.

there are times you'll want to hit sprint, crouch, and jump at basically the exact same time as you activate one of your spells while moving forward and strafing. Good luck with that shit unless you've come up with a very odd set of keybinds. Keep in mind you've also got like half a dozen other important things to bind as well.
I never played Warframe but I doubt a game like that can get away with having bad controls. Sounds again like skill issue to me.

I know it's supposed to be a joke, but this isn't:

Screenshot-2024-07-28-135827.png

This mouse has 21 customizable input controls. It's the Razer Naga V2

I have this:

61mpMH5TzkL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Logitech G502 Hero. Out of those 5 side buttons to the left I can mostly use 3 of them. More than that and I miss-click a lot. This Razer Naga thing seems utterly ridiculous to me.

abija

Prophet
This is what I mean. Trying to quickly hit for example, Q,1,2 or Tab after you've started holding W and A at the same time is basically impossible. Keyboard is full of such awkward combinations and the problem is that which keys are accessible changes depending on which direction you need to strafe. You can't bind to Q in case you need WA, but can't bind to E in case you need WD. Closest I've come to solving this is moving 'W/S' to mouse buttons, but that shit gets awkward too in some ways. Mice also run into issues if you need to turn continuously for a long period of time, because you run out of mousepad pretty quick.

You can mirror bind around movement keys if game is absurdly anal. (wasd movement, 1/3, q/e, z/c, `/4, tab/r, caps/f, shift, ctrl, alt, space - always accessible binds regardless of movement direction). I'd certainly love to know the game where you can do stuff on controller and can't on m&k without the devs fucking up the implementation.

At minimum on the modern controller you have access to L1, L2, L3, L4, L5, R1, R2, R3, R4, R5 a left analog stick and a right analog stick all without moving a single finger from it's default positioning.
You brought up Halo, you made claims about it and when I ask a very basic question your answer involves devices that weren't even available when that game was designed/released? And still come up 3-5 binds short vs basic m&k. You even have the balls to say "at the minimum" lol. Guess I should have counted the mmo mice instead of a basic 3 buttons one.

Vic

Savant
Logitech G502 Hero. Out of those 5 side buttons to the left I can mostly use 3 of them. More than that and I miss-click a lot. This Razer Naga thing seems utterly ridiculous to me.
I had a mouse with 2 side buttons and I ended up rebinding them to scroll wheel up and down. Now I have a "cheap" logitech mouse without any side buttons and it's perfectly fine. Logitech gear is amazing btw, lasts for decades. All this new tech crap tends to break really fast.

Hell Swarm

Learned
You can mirror bind around movement keys if game is absurdly anal. (wasd movement, 1/3, q/e, z/c, `/4, tab/r, caps/f, shift, ctrl, alt, space - always accessible binds regardless of movement direction). I'd certainly love to know the game where you can do stuff on controller and can't on m&k without the devs fucking up the implementation.
We already did. You can use your additional buttons without taking your fingers off your movement keys.
You brought up Halo, you made claims about it and when I ask a very basic question your answer involves devices that weren't even available when that game was designed/released?
I can still push jump with the middle part of my thumb on an old controller. You never specified era but you want modern mice with 50 buttons on it you can barely use compared to a NES pad apparently.

abija

Prophet
We already did. You can use your additional buttons without taking your fingers off your movement keys.
So does k&m, you just can't figure it out.

I can still push jump with the middle part of my thumb on an old controller. You never specified era but you want modern mice with 50 buttons on it you can barely use compared to a NES pad apparently.
You can press a button with the middle part of your thumb while aiming with it. Ok buddy.
Meanwhile you think people couldn't solve the problem of having accessible walk and crouch binds on keyboard despite "growing up with PC FPS and being your favorite genre".

That's what you did this whole fucking thread. The most abhorent liberal style kind of trolling until people disengage and let you spew retarded shit as facts.
Just look how you answerd to Cruel. You stated your opionon as fact that bosses are too difficult (for general population, not you ofc) and hp sponges and defended with:
- didn't fight the specific bosses
- didn't do it before nerfs (though you have no idea of stacks other people had)
- used broken weapon
- used broken shield
- broke ai
- used buffs
- did too much dmg and skipped phases
- used wiki
- grinded exploration
- grinded learning the boss
Did I forget anything?

Hell Swarm

Learned
So does k&m, you just can't figure it out.
Little finger on shift/ctrl. 3 fingers on WASD and 1 on space. Tell me how you use additional buttons without moving them. You literally cannot.

Did I forget anything?
You forgot your diaper with all the crying you're doing because From made a bad DLC and you don't like people pointing it out.

abija

Prophet
2 fingers on wasd which leaves at least 6 free binds usable around, thumb on space + alt and all the free buttons on mouse.

And yet again you accuse others of doing what you do. Typical liberal scum style of arguing. You've been qqing so much this thread should be renamed "Hell Swarm throws hissy fits over From games".

Hell Swarm

Learned
2 fingers on wasd which leaves at least 6 free binds usable around, thumb on space + alt and all the free buttons on mouse.

And yet again you accuse others of doing what you do. Typical liberal scum style of arguing. You've been qqing so much this thread should be renamed "Hell Swarm throws hissy fits over From games".
You can admit you're wrong any time now. You're moving your fingers off the movement keys any way you slice it.

More character assassinations and no arguments. Nothing new from the From drones.

Stoned Ape

Savant
I remember having to control games with QAOP for movement and either M or the spacebar to fire.

It's pretty easy for me to use WASD for movement, left shift and ctrl with my little finger, spacebar and BN with my thumb + mouse buttons without having to move my fingers away from WASD. That's plenty of options for a FPS.

I still wouldn't want to play Elden Ring with mouse+keyboard, though. I find a gamepad far more comfortable.

Hell Swarm

Learned
I remember having to control games with QAOP for movement and either M or the spacebar to fire.

It's pretty easy for me to use WASD for movement, left shift and ctrl with my little finger, spacebar and BN with my thumb + mouse buttons without having to move my fingers away from WASD. That's plenty of options for a FPS.

I still wouldn't want to play Elden Ring with mouse+keyboard, though. I find a gamepad far more comfortable.
Playing Doom and Duke with the arrow keys and space bar shooting was pretty fun.

Odoryuk

Educated
Playing a Souls game with mouse+keyboard is like playing a modern shooter on a PC with a gamepad. It's possible, it's doable, but it is far from ideal

abija

Prophet
You can admit you're wrong any time now. You're moving your fingers off the movement keys any way you slice it.
Only 2 directions work at the same time. Only 2 fingers are needed. The amount of binds usable while moving and controlling camera on m&k is higher.
In actual real games (instead of HellSwarm fantasy land) you can comfortably use 50+ binds while controling a 3rd person character.
And Halo is a popamolized dumbed down shooter (which was the original point of this whole debate).

Playing a Souls game with mouse+keyboard is like playing a modern shooter on a PC with a gamepad. It's possible, it's doable, but it is far from ideal
From games are designed and balanced for gamepad and m&k are added over the existing functions. It might not be ideal or how the designer intended but you can play and perform the same without altering the game.

A shooter designed and balanced for PC needs to be slowed down, have ui reworked (stuff like how in new doom games you almost pause the game to select a new weapon) and aim assist added to it to be playable on a gamepad. And if the game features projectiles you can't even aim assist properly so it's always worse. Most modern shooters are actually worse version of themselves because they were designed with consoles in mind.
Imagine playing QW or CPMA with a gamepad. You would perform far worse comparatively than someone playing From games keyboard only.

The Decline

Arcane
Man, all this PC vs Console arguing is so nostalgic. Reminds me of when I used to roast console-tards back when the original Xbox was released.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom