Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Silverfish

Arbiter
The only FPS that are playable with a controller at a high competitive level are the ones with aim assist.

You didn't have to take the Modern Warfare 2 lobby seriously.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
The only FPS that are playable with a controller at a high competitive level are the ones with aim assist.

His (retarded) argument is that playing FPS with a controller is even better than playing it with mkb. The stupidity blows my mind.

The mouse is an incredible peripheral device that allows for precision input. A stick that you flick with your thumb can never compare.

It's clear he never seriously played PC games. Sure, the movement is better for 3D games with a controller, but anything where precise input is required plays miles better with mkb. That includes games with lots of buttons on screen like CRPGs, sims and strategy, ie PC games.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist

His (retarded) argument is that playing FPS with a controller is even better than playing it with mkb. The stupidity blows my mind.

The mouse is an incredible peripheral device that allows for precision input. A stick that you flick with your thumb can never compare.

It's clear he never seriously played PC games. Sure, the movement is better for 3D games with a controller, but anything where precise input is required plays miles better with mkb. That includes games with lots of buttons on screen like CRPGs, sims and strategy, ie PC games.

The area where gamepads shine are using multiple keys simultneously. Mouse is indeed the perfect tool for touching precise areas of the screen repeatedly or with twitch reflex, but you'd never be able to comfortably play something like the old Armored Core games with a mkb setup. Trying to strafe, turn, backpedal, fire 2 guns at once, engage overboost and quickboost and then activate extensions, swap one weapon while jettisoning another, reloading, deploying inside parts... and do all of this while adjusting your vertical position with thrusters as well.

Sadly, games with such excellent control schemes don't really get made any more, as everything got swallowed up with 'context sensitive buttons' and sticky cover. But I could easily imagine an excellent FPS based around a controller that allowed for a similar fine degree of control over a human; letting you do things like crouch and kneel and slide and roll and duck and blindfire around cover all on the fly and in combination. Could do cool stuff with like a boxing or fighting game as well involving multiple dimensions of movement, stances and guards that you engage with a single button instead of clunky transitions triggered by entire special moves or automatically through specific attacks.

Hell Swarm

Learned

The area where gamepads shine are using multiple keys simultneously. Mouse is indeed the perfect tool for touching precise areas of the screen repeatedly or with twitch reflex, but you'd never be able to comfortably play something like the old Armored Core games with a mkb setup. Trying to strafe, turn, backpedal, fire 2 guns at once, engage overboost and quickboost and then activate extensions, swap one weapon while jettisoning another, reloading, deploying inside parts... and do all of this while adjusting your vertical position with thrusters as well.

Sadly, games with such excellent control schemes don't really get made any more, as everything got swallowed up with 'context sensitive buttons' and sticky cover. But I could easily imagine an excellent FPS based around a controller that allowed for a similar fine degree of control over a human; letting you do things like crouch and kneel and slide and roll and duck and blindfire around cover all on the fly and in combination. Could do cool stuff with like a boxing or fighting game as well involving multiple dimensions of movement, stances and guards that you engage with a single button instead of clunky transitions triggered by entire special moves or automatically through specific attacks.
You can ignore Vic, he's only in the thread because he thinks he's bothering me by giving me negative ratings and he's desperate to get back at me for laughing at him.

They also shine with racing games if you're not using a wheel. Same problem as with FPS movement, with a controller you have a lot more control with the triggers and smaller movements with the sticks. Keyboard and mouse really struggle outside of clicking on things, which it generally does do better than a gamepad. But there's so much depth in a lot of games that the keyboard is difficult to use in the heat of the moment. They have yet to solve the problem of having sprint and crouching in the same game because you lack suitable buttons to comfortably press them. Shift and C are the defaults and you have to make awkward hand movements to do that.

I don't even care to get into slap fights over what's the best control method. I saw a guy playing through ER with K&B using daggers only. He had a great time with it despite me personally thinking it's a controller only game. If it works for you then it's none of my concern how you play. I play some games with a controller and some games with keyboard and mouse. All this console warring shit is just gay as fuck.

Vic

Savant
You can ignore Vic, he's only in the thread because he thinks he's bothering me by giving me negative ratings and he's desperate to get back at me for laughing at him.
I'm pointing out your lack of PC gaming experience and retarded arguments. You should stop taking these things personally. Interesting how you backed away from the "FPS are better with a controller" argument. Guess googling to make up for your lack of experience showed you how wrong you were.

Hell Swarm

Learned
I really enjoyed Mesmer on my first play through but this time I'm finding him pretty tedious. Without the usual shield to block the cluster fuck of his animations it's becoming annoying to deal with all the shit From won't fix. When the snakes appear and your camera freaks the fuck out it's annoying. The amount of delayed, roll catches and bad hit boxes he has are insane. It's a shame From have pushed things so hard the most enjoyable playing style is to nuke bosses from orbit because they're all designed to punish an organic decision making.

The Halo scythe has been great though. It's got a fun weapon art and a decent moveset. I used Marika's hammer for a while and snake faggot's big sword too. I want to change up the faith styles a bit but black flame spam is the most effective tool if it's not Halo scythe spamming. A lot of the DLC spells are really cool but don't work in the game. Flower bosses spell looks amazing but it's way less effective than weapon arts are.

abija

Prophet
Already covered it, but the short version is you never find weapons you can't actually use, junk can be disposed of in various ways, providing flexibility and forgoing a Souls-style upgrade path encourages experimentation.

You can equip everything in souls too, you just can't use properly some weapons without stats. Which makes perfect sense and outside of console fps brains Nioh approach would be considered decline.

Nioh throws so much loot at you (and limit carry ammount) they had to implement bulk operations in inventory and you are forced to actually deal with that bullshit and do management from time to time. But hey let's pretend that's a good thing.

"If I can't do it, no one can."
Still failing that reading check I see. Everyone can because the game "assists" you. Console shooters are the DEI hires of video games. Good for you to enjoy them though...

They have yet to solve the problem of having sprint and crouching in the same game because you lack suitable buttons to comfortably press them. Shift and C are the defaults and you have to make awkward hand movements to do that.

Let's clap for the "grew up on pc fps and it's my favorite genre guy".

Last edited:

Silverfish

Arbiter
You can equip everything in souls too, you just can't use properly some weapons without stats. Which makes perfect sense and outside of console fps brains Nioh approach would be considered decline.

We can veer off into "which approach is better, action-oriented or rpg-oriented" territory if you want, but as it relates to the discussion of loot, Nioh's approach is better because you'll never go through a tough area only to be rewarded with items you can't make any use of.

Nioh throws so much loot at you (and limit carry ammount) they had to implement bulk operations in inventory and you are forced to actually deal with that bullshit and do management from time to time. But hey let's pretend that's a good thing.

The item limit is pretty generous, being based on the number of items rather than weight or inventory Tetris. Besides, you have a stash in addition to what you can keep on your character. You would need to play the bulk of a game cycle before needing to do any serious management. And yeah, the occasional inventory management is a good thing since it leads to cash, xp, crafting materials or rice (which is admittedly just another type of cash, but for a unique shop).

Everyone can because the game "assists" you.

Oh okay, that clears up the misunderstanding. Console shooters suck because you can't aim as accurately with a controller as with a mouse, but console shooters have aim assist, mitigating this issue. So everything is actually fine, except it's not.

Console shooters are the DEI hires of video games.

I admit that I never thought of Infinite Warfare as a sassy Latina, but I'm cool with it.

Vic

Savant
They have yet to solve the problem of having sprint and crouching in the same game because you lack suitable buttons to comfortably press them. Shift and C are the defaults and you have to make awkward hand movements to do that.

You can't make this shit up. :lol:

Last edited:

Hell Swarm

Learned
Endless character assassinations because you have no actual arguments is peak Reddit. You have 5 fingers and 3 of them are on WASD, one is on shift and the thumb is on space. Your left most fingers are tied together mechanically so they're awkward to move independently. Then you have the problem with so many features in modern games you're having to jump between movement keys, the number keys to change weapon unless you're using a mouse wheel which is slower, grenade keys if the game has them. And then we get into all the new abilities and powers needing their own buttons and the keyboard becomes awkward because your dedicated movement hand is now having to constantly sacrifice movement options to push all these buttons. Controllers are better designed input devices because they're designed for gaming instead of office work.

If you haven't noticed I'm quite capable of enjoying something while being critical of it. If you can't that's really your problem

Stoned Ape

Savant
Endless character assassinations because you have no actual arguments is peak Reddit. You have 5 fingers and 3 of them are on WASD, one is on shift and the thumb is on space. Your left most fingers are tied together mechanically so they're awkward to move independently. Then you have the problem with so many features in modern games you're having to jump between movement keys, the number keys to change weapon unless you're using a mouse wheel which is slower, grenade keys if the game has them. And then we get into all the new abilities and powers needing their own buttons and the keyboard becomes awkward because your dedicated movement hand is now having to constantly sacrifice movement options to push all these buttons. Controllers are better designed input devices because they're designed for gaming instead of office work.

If you haven't noticed I'm quite capable of enjoying something while being critical of it. If you can't that's really your problem
At this point I think you should probably retire from the argument gracefully instead of digging yourself into a deeper and deeper hole.

I enjoy using both controllers and kb+m, but they are both good for different jobs. Kb+m is clearly the superior choice for FPS control.

abija

Prophet
There are no arguments for
It's absolute peak retardation. Just like the samurai that "looked more like a knight than a knight" or "exploration and boss learning are grinding".

And now you're digging even deeper comparing versatility and number of available binds between gamepad and k&m. Take a deep breath and think about the reason for low number of weapons or introduction of weapon wheel, not being able to directly cast spells/use belt items or why Diablo clones suddenly got a limit of skills. Ding ding ding it's the fucking gamepad !!!

Vic

Savant
You have 5 fingers and 3 of them are on WASD, one is on shift and the thumb is on space.
Nigga have you ever used a keyboard? Most of the time your middle finger is on W and you turn with your mouse and I guess you strafe with AD. In the games I play I keybind S to something else because backpaddling is for noobs. In fact, I'd rebind AD too but I'm too used to it.

The hell are you explaining hand positions, I played on PC for 25 years and I never counted how many fingers I have on WASD :lol:

You have proven time and time again that you're a pathological liar and that you'd rather nuke your account again (how many has it been now?) before admitting to being wrong. And oh boy, are you ever wrong about the most stupid shit.

Hell Swarm

Learned
There are no arguments for
It's absolute peak retardation. Just like the samurai that "looked more like a knight than a knight" or "exploration and boss learning are grinding".

And now you're digging even deeper comparing versatility and number of available binds between gamepad and k&m. Take a deep breath and think about the reason for low number of weapons or introduction of weapon wheel, not being able to directly cast spells/use belt items or why Diablo clones suddenly got a limit of skills. Ding ding ding it's the fucking gamepad !!!
I'd continue this argument but clearly you're incapable of understanding basic things and lack fundamental gaming knowledge. Diablo 1 was on the PS1, if "Diablo clones got dumbed down for console" you'd have them dumbed down on the 1st release onward meaning Diablo 2 is also dumbed down. Despite Diablo 2 being basically a 2 button game outside of flasks you were rarely using once you got past the first couple of hours. But of course diablo clones were dumbed down for consoles despite being on consoles from their origin and the second game being spamming right click for the majority of it's run time with maybe half an hour of left clicking before that or if you were a paladin with an aura on right mouse.

I enjoy using both controllers and kb+m, but they are both good for different jobs. Kb+m is clearly the superior choice for FPS control.
The mouse is superior for aiming in general but it's not like they haven't solved most the issues with controller aiming at this point. If we look at modern competitive shooters there are plenty of competitive players using controllers so one cannot simply be superior to the other in terms of actual gameplay. And a lot of modern shooters aren't exclusively about the shooting any more, I would never play Quake with a controller, it wouldn't work. But something like Halo is specifically designed for a controller and has game elements that don't fully function on a keyboard.

According to some basic research about 25% of Apex competitive players play on controller and it's about 10% of competitive Halo players play on KnM. I don't play Apex but I think it's fair to say if some of the best FPS players in the world are playing on these things they're valid ways to play the game. I don't play Apex so I don't know what the aim assist there but still 25% of the NA nationals were on controller for a reason

Any way, can we get back on topic now? I get I make you guys angry because I point out the flaws in souls games but being completely ignorant and desperate for a win is just pathetic. Especially people only in the thread because of personal grudges and no interest in the game.

Last edited:

abija

Prophet
Diablo 1 port was comission to 3rd party and Diablo 2 port came 20 years later from D2R. Diablo 3 was the first one with a port done by Blizzard and with design decisions and UI choices made with that port in mind. D2 is a "as many spells you want to use" buttons game.

Keep digging, you inane bitch. I think we're pretty on topic proving how a large portion of this thread are complaints by mental pacients.

Hell Swarm

Learned
Diablo 1 port was comission to 3rd party, Diablo 2 port came 20 years later, Diablo 3 was the first one with a port done by Blizzard and with design decisions made with that port in mind.

Keep digging, you inane bitch.
You're moving the goal posts and frankly I'd like to get back on topic because a week of your endless whining and ankle yapping is enough for the thread. If all you do is whine and try to pick fights about stuff you know nothing about then try to move the goal posts once you're proven wrong you're better off in the shoutbox with the rest of the retards. You are the exact reason why Codex exists and you're not self aware enough to realize it lol.

Here's another video of Elden ring being shit on for all the reasons the DLC didn't fix. I am tempted to see if I can go back to the original Dark souls release and see how many videos I can find complaining about camera issues and stuff and compare them to the common Elden ring complains. It would make a fun montage. Maybe I'll splice it in between footage of all the problems Elden ring has. Slow mo grab hit boxes and dub step are a sweet combo. Or maybe more Linkin park midis?

Vic

Savant
I'd continue this argument but clearly you're incapable of understanding basic things and lack fundamental gaming knowledge.
If all you do is whine and try to pick fights about stuff you know nothing about then try to move the goal posts once you're proven wrong you're better off in the shoutbox with the rest of the retards.
:abyssgazer:

Guy is literally describing himself.

Hell Swarm

Learned
The keyboard & mouse vs controller argument is stupid and both sides are wrong.

I fucking love dumb challenge runs but that guys obnoxious. He's trying to appeal to children like a nonce. Needs to chill on the streamer personality and be less of a sperg.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
You seem to be playing dumb but in case you're not I'll try to be more clear:
Game was adjusted for lowest common denominator which is the gamepad. As a consequence game was fucked.

Clear now? Just because you grew up with it and didn't know better doesn't unfuck it. Neither does Microsoft trying to squeeze up every penny from it and releasing it on PC.
I remember when Microsoft were the dominant tech company and all the damage they did to technology and gaming. Long before the xbox existed with it's huge controller. I'm never going to defend them as a company but Halo are good games and they make use of a controller in a way keyboard and mouse really can't do. One of the problems with PC gaming on a keyboard and mouse is the lack of analog inputs. WASD is great, but you're stuck on the same 8 point movement (which people bitch about Dark souls 2 on the PC forcing on them due to From's poor PC ports), you can't hold the W key down lightly to control how fast you're walking. It's awarkard key combos and even then it's still not good. Halo making use of the trigger sensitivity for speed is something the PC really cannot do unless you're switching between keyboard and mouse and a racing wheel set up.
Technically you can, but analog keyboards are CRAZY expensive and definitely not available for low income that are playing games. And high income typically use controllers because they typically lack technical skills, thus they prefer controllers.

Controllers are useful for flight sims and some space games for having TWO analog sticks for relatively cheap. The problem is you also need keyboard, and then when you have to hold controller in one hand, that's where it all falls apart.

Controllers totally sucks for aiming.
Using flight stick for analog movement is tiresome.
And using touch pad falls into gray area of input remapping. Using some kind of tablet and gluing it to the table might have problems with input latency, but at least screen would allow you use some kind of background image to emulate buttons and show you where your finger needs to be to be in center of analog movement.

WASD + some key when you need to move slowly is probably decent.

Hell Swarm

Learned
The problem is you also need keyboard, and then when you have to hold controller in one hand, that's where it all falls apart.
I'm not sure how it was done but there was a guy in a Halo infinite tournament a while ago who used a controller and mouse. Left hand had the controller while the right aimed with the mouse. I thought it sounded awesome but I've not found out how he did it.

Hell Swarm

Learned

3D print company releasing some From stuff next month.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom