Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Hell Swarm

Learned
Which has sadly become the bane of the challenge run scene in recent years.
Minecraft has the same issue. If I'm watching you for minecraft I don't want to watch you play dark souls. So they're forced to find more and more retarded ways to play the game or their audience fucks off. I will say lobos makes good background noise while getting a blowjob.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

It's a problem that goes back a long way. Demon's Souls took heavy inspiration from Space Harrier and suffered for it. Now, I've never played Space Harrier and can't confirm this, but it's a problem nonetheless.\

I know enough about those games to know they are babby's first RPG, so any cue anyone might take from them is going to be a problem.

Hell Swarm

Learned
I will say lobos makes good background noise while getting a blowjob.

Lobos gets a lifetime pass for the Olympic torch run. Genuinely funny, creative shit.
What was that?

It's a problem that goes back a long way. Demon's Souls took heavy inspiration from Space Harrier and suffered for it. Now, I've never played Space Harrier and can't confirm this, but it's a problem nonetheless.\

I know enough about those games to know they are babby's first RPG, so any cue anyone might take from them is going to be a problem.
You know nothing and it's funny to see you get trolled lol.

Cohesion

Augur
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Wait, modern consoles still run at 30 fps?

el-risitas-juan-joya-borja.gif
Of course - on the latest NV chips. :)

Honestly, I can't think of any open world game that would benefit from extensive environmental interaction or the ability to build vevehicles.
What do you mean by that? My thinking is the exact opposite. Any open world game that doesn't have extensive environmental interaction should be converted to a linear game, I mean you are basically playing a walking simulator then, which I guess is fine if that's what you are going for.

All the survival games are dependent on world interaction, like seven days to die and similar games. Outward is the rpg with best open world because it combines rpg with survival so you actually need the resources in the open world. I acknowledge that Kenshi could be better, I haven't played it myself. Rdr2 is also good, if you are willing to larp and install some hard-core survival mods.

Because otherwise you end up with games like Elden Ring and Cyberpunk 2077 ( I guess Maffia games qualifies as well, it was to long ago that I played them to remember ) where the open world is just for atmosphere. But luckily you can mod Cyberpunk 2077 to be semi decent open world, I play with around 30 mods atleast.

I concede vehicles, a mount in Outward would destroy the feeling and gameplay the devs where going for.

The most positive aspect of the trend to merge survival element with rpg is that we get systems back into rpgs sense all survival games rely on them. Which unwittingly gives us some immersive sim aspects back again as with BotW chemistry engine.

Hell Swarm

Learned
What do you mean by that? My thinking is the exact opposite. Any open world game that doesn't have extensive environmental interaction should be converted to a linear game, I mean you are basically playing a walking simulator then, which I guess is fine if that's what you are going for.
BOTW's interaction isn't punching trees until you can collect wood to build a crafting bench. You knock down a tree to glue it to another tree and use that as a raft to ride down the river. It's got basic tools but they elevate the open world significantly.
Because otherwise you end up with games like Elden Ring and Cyberpunk 2077 ( I guess Maffia games qualifies as well, it was to long ago that I played them to remember ) where the open world is just for atmosphere. But luckily you can mod Cyberpunk 2077 to be semi decent open world, I play with around 30 mods atleast.
30 mods is a fucking lot of mods. Something wrong with you and the game if you need that many.

I played Cyberpunk at release and I wouldn't compare riding Torrent to cyberpunks open world. Cyberpunk's open world has you avoid traffic and occasionally have enemies in vehicles able to keep up with you. Even if it's only basic having to swerve between other vehicles and follow roads requires you to be engaged. There's nothing in Elden ring like that because Torrent is too powerful and the open world is so empty. You tap O and hold up and you course correct slightly if you had to go round a building you couldn't jump over (which is rare).

What do you mean by that?
You are very right on your post but

I think Silverfish was being sarcastic
Yeah you are right. But you really can't trust people on this forum. People have the wildest taste and arguments here.
BOTW's interaction isn't punching trees until you can collect wood to build a crafting bench. You knock down a tree to glue it to another tree and use that as a raft to ride down the river. It's got basic tools but they elevate the open world significantly.
30 mods is a fucking lot of mods. Something wrong with you and the game if you need that many.

I played Cyberpunk at release and I wouldn't compare riding Torrent to cyberpunks open world. Cyberpunk's open world has you avoid traffic and occasionally have enemies in vehicles able to keep up with you. Even if it's only basic having to swerve between other vehicles and follow roads requires you to be engaged. There's nothing in Elden ring like that because Torrent is too powerful and the open world is so empty. You tap O and hold up and you course correct slightly if you had to go round a building you couldn't jump over (which is rare).
Yeah I know, I was specifically referring to BotW as a game bringing back "immsim" aspects. Outward has a much more extensive traditionally crafting system.

Lol, yeah because it's not like Cyberpunk 2077 got totally fucked up production and then they went cheap and tried to scale it down to work on the ps4 or anything right? I always play games modded if I can, developers are useless at balancing their game. I loved Elex1 but piranha Bytes are a bit retarded so I did my first playthrough with a combat&economy overhaul mod so I don't have to suffer retarded dev balancing. Same with the nuDeus ex games and Risen 1.

Actually now that I make a hasty count that number was low. Around 8 core script mods that other mods require, 7 graphic mods, 7 vehicle mod ( mainly making driving more realistic), 4 UI mods, 31 gameplay mods (immersive mods and enemy gang overhaul mods being the biggest the other is mostly cool stuff) some other mods as well.

I agree with you on that using torrent is much less engaging.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
The whole point of an open world is giving the player agency to tackle problems in different ways and have a more plausible experience that isn't hindered by flimsy doors or chest high walls. Environmental interaction has fuck all to do with it. Series like Ultima, Might and Magic and Wizardry nailed this shit decades ago.

Ravielsk

Magister
"The 7th generation of consoles and its consequences have been a disaster for the gamer race."

The modern open world meme cannot really produce good open world games because it was born as a counter reaction to the obnoxious linearity of 7th gen titles. In the time between 2005-2010 some of the most popular games were essentially corridors that the level designer simply twisted in a place or two and this was to a point where even backtracking was not possible. A game in 2002 being called linear meant that the game has a set order of levels but what you do in those levels was up to you. In 2008 it meant that you are boxed into a single lane that forced you to go forward and only forward.

The result was people demanding open world games because they were sick of this sort of anti-design but since they were asking this from the same people that came up with that anti-design... well all that came out of it was just a wide corridor filled with random crap to make it seem like its not a corridor anymore.

Last edited:

Hell Swarm

Learned
"The 7th generation of consoles and its consequences have been a disaster for the gamer race."

The modern open world meme cannot really produce good open world games because it was born as a counter reaction to the obnoxious linearity of 7th gen titles. In the time between 2005-2010 some of the most popular games were essentially corridors that the level designer simply twisted in a place or two and this was to a point where even backtracking was not possible. A game in 2002 being called linear meant that the game has a set order of levels but what you do in those levels was up to you. In 2008 it meant that you are boxed into a single lane that forced you to go forward and only forward.

The result was people demanding open world games because they were sick of this sort of anti-design but since they were asking this from the same people that came up with that anti-design all that came out of it was just a wide corridor filled with random crap to make it seem like its not a corridor anymore.
A lot of those linear games had far more freedom than modern open worlds do. A good linear sandbox doesn't need an open world for options. It gives you the options and interesting ways to tackle them.

Casuals like open world games because they're really easy to waste time in and feel like you've done something. You can do a side quest or a dungeon and you're good to go for an hour. They're also much easier for devs to design because it's open terrain instead of tightly controlled enviroments where one bad decision can spike difficulty. Open world lets you always run away so you can't get progress locked.

Stoned Ape

Savant
Are we back to console wars again?

All I'm saying is that the Dreamcast had some innovative features and the best console version of Soul Reaver.
I mean, the Dreamcast was decent but for pure console brilliance you really can't look any further than the Neo-Geo, the first home system with true arcade quality graphics.

samurai-shodown-300x221.jpg

DemonKing

Arcane
In 2008 it meant that you are boxed into a single lane that forced you to go forward and only forward.
That's not a bad thing if the gameplay and/or story are good. A good 10-20 hour linear game is usually better than a bloated open world game.

The problem with early Soulslike design is that you sometimes felt like you were headbutting a brick wall over and over again as your progress is blocked until you beat certain bosses. Elden Ring isn't perfect but at least there are either ways around bosses causing you trouble or you can easily just go and do something else and come back when you've levelled up a bit.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Corridor games any good? Lol, no.

You want to tell me that something like Final Fantasy XIII Mega-Ultra-Flash Returns is any good?

Last edited:

Ravielsk

Magister
That's not a bad thing if the gameplay and/or story are good. A good 10-20 hour linear game is usually better than a bloated open world game.
That is explicitly a very bad thing. If a game is designed that way its no longer a game but a movie that pauses every few seconds. It defeats the whole purpose and goes directly against the mediums strengths and emphasizes its weakest points.

Its basically as if you tried writing a book but in a movie format, instead of printing 200+ pages of text on paper you would put together a 2+ hour long video text scrolling. Its the same text, hell it might even come with sound effects, but the format in which it is delivered simply makes it worse no matter which way you slice it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom