Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
The "extranous stuff" is the shit that makes games great you mongoloid.

Riding around on a horse to get from point A to point B doesn't make any game great. Unless it's a horse racing game.

This is not even how Elden Ring works (Hell Swamp even admited the map is too complex for him) and it's not the point we were discussing.

Corridor games don't cut "extranous" things, they cut actual complexity and substance.

Even the most barren of Elden Ring's open areas has more interesting design than a game where you are constantly going forward with your surroundings barely registering in your mind.

There's nothing worse in a game than being set on a rail, and not just in terms of the space you are allowed to nagivate. Modern games are incredibly lockstep when it comes to the mechanics. I noticed that when i played Styx a few months ago, a game which wasn't completely devoid of qualities but compared to Thief, and even just leaving aside the quality in level design, art etc, the game felt incredibly constrained by the mechanics.

Elden Ring for me doesn't compare to the Ubisoft formula because the game is too old school in the way it operates. The typical Ubisoft game doesn't allow you to get lost in the map, doesn't allow you miss out on content, or to do things "outside" the intended way. You are coerced into playing the game the way the designers intended, and you are constantly bombarded with feedback that reinforce the mechancs. Trackers, UI element that remind you to do this or that task and so forth. To me playing modern nu-games feel like hitting a series of checkboxes in a spreadsheet. There's really no "game" there. It's that theme park effect. Your enviorments are not a "real" place, they are just phony decoration, and you are not allowed to step over the fence, you must stick to the path designated for the ride.

The reason i'm playing devil's advocate for Elden Ring here is that your arguments are simply bad and miss the mark. Open world may have stretched the Souls formula beyond its breaking point, their resources having to be spread so thin they had to sacrifice quality for the sake of quantiy, to rely on repetition and variation of the same basic setup because this is how open world gamers operate both by virtue of their own nature as well as by necessity. But... it's still better than Ubisoft slop, and not by a small margin either.

Lastly, understand that shitting on Elden Ring or FromSoft doesn't make you "cool". It's not bad ass, doesn't make you "2 deep 4 u", especially when you are forced to rely on sophistry, strawmen, gaslighting, and simple lying. You just end up looking like a retard for making bad arguments and you end up making people reconsider whether they had been too harsh on the game afterall. I know i did lmao.

Silverfish

Arbiter
Hell Swamp

d1a0ae7434565bbc2050684c402d3edf-320-80.jpg

Corridor games don't cut "extranous" things, they cut actual complexity and substance.

Okay, but Devil May Cry, Ninja Gaiden, 3D Shinobi and old-school God of War are more complex than Elden Ring despite being straight shots to the finish line.

Elden Ring for me doesn't compare to the Ubisoft formula

I agree. Item crafting is actually useful in Far Cry.

Lastly, understand that shitting on Elden Ring or FromSoft doesn't make you "cool".

If I was worried about being considered cool on the Codex, why would I have ever admitted to playing most games on consoles and having a soft spot for Halo, Skyrim and Fallout 4? No, I'm just a fan of previous Souls games who found Elden Ring disappointing by comparison.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom